PDA

View Full Version : Guys would rather play in large markets than for good teams?

Shank
01-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Really? This is what we're doing now? One of the league's stars would rather go play for a team that is years away from competing, needs a shitload of pieces to fall into place and has to deal with other powerhouses in the same conference INSTEAD of staying in place and working with a better situation? Really? Because that's fucking sad. Carmelo was in a great situation in Denver - devoted fanbase, great coach, good PG play, home court advantage. Yes, they weren't a complete team, but a couple tweaks would have had them back in the WCF (injuries hurt this team, as well). Now, he's leaving a franchise in a terrible state and a good number of people are being shat upon. Yes, shat.

But now, bailing to go play for the fucking Nets BECAUSE of local AND his ugly cunt wife/babymama/mistress/boo wants him to? What's become of the guys in this league? Guys want the spotlight and the marketing dollars more than success on the court. It's sickening and makes you appreciate the guys that have toiled and put in the hard work for the same team for a number of years. Cocksuckers, all of them.

Giuseppe
01-10-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm shocked.

I thought he was set in cement on the Knicks.

Though, he may have received inside information on the CBA and wants that bonus check from the Nets before the door closes.

If he takes the trade and the contract is alarmingly front loaded to signing bonus that'd be the tip off.

DeadlyDynasty
01-10-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm shocked.

I thought he was set in cement on the Knicks.

Though, he may have received inside information on the CBA and wants that bonus check from the Nets before the door closes.

If he takes the trade and the contract is alarmingly front loaded to signing bonus that'd be the tip off.

He sees them as the Brooklyn Nets, makes it easier

DeadlyDynasty
01-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Not entirely shocking...every player secretly wants to play in the bright lights

Shank
01-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Not entirely shocking...every player secretly wants to play in the bright lights

Playing in the NBA Finals is a pretty big stage.

DeadlyDynasty
01-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Playing in the NBA Finals is a pretty big stage.

Who's to say the Nets aren't a better situation than Denver in the longterm? They'll be moving to Brooklyn soon so their fanbase will be revitalized and he'll be playing in a new arena. They also have a billionaire owner with bottomless pockets and a minority owner who everyone wants to be around. Sounds like a tempting scenario to me...

The alternative is staying in the rockies, sucking wind, and losing to the Lakers or some other team every year.

Cane
01-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Melo just wants to go back home :cry

Which he will be if he signs with the Nets or Knicks. Billups loved being back in his hometown in Denver, now maybe Melo will get that chance :downspin: The Nets are also getting one hell of a stadium and they've got a Russian Mark Cuban backing up the team...not all that bad tbh. Maybe they'll even scrap together other stars in the coming years as well.

DeadlyDynasty
01-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Would you rather be King of New York or King of the Rockies (which he currently is)?

Shank
01-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Would you rather be King of New York or King of the Rockies (which he currently is)?

Is that the point of the NBA? To win over fans of a large market? I thought it was to win championships.

baseline bum
01-10-2011, 02:00 PM
I'd take King of the Rockies, but only because I like Colorado a lot more than New York. Neither franchise looks all that appealing long-term.

DeadlyDynasty
01-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Is that the point of the NBA? To win over fans of a large market? I thought it was to win championships.

If Melo was on the Spurs or Orlando I would agree that he should stay, but he's on the Nuggets, bro. They've regressed since 2009 and this year really looks no different. Brooklyn looks to have an exciting future and an owner willing to bring a winner there. The Russian himself said they'd bring a winner there within a few years--I don't think that's possible, but it shows he's willing to spend. In the meantime, if you're stuck on a non-contender, why toil in obscurity when you can be the hometown hero?

Shank
01-10-2011, 02:11 PM
If Melo was on the Spurs or Orlando I would agree that he should stay, but he's on the Nuggets, bro. They've regressed since 2009 and this year really looks no different. Brooklyn looks to have an exciting future and an owner willing to bring a winner there. The Russian himself said they'd bring a winner there within a few years--I don't think that's possible, but it shows he's willing to spend. In the meantime, if you're stuck on a non-contender, why toil in obscurity when you can be the hometown hero?

I get that, but I think Denver had the potential to be in a better position than NJ. Spending doesn't always mean success (look at the Mavs or Knicks as examples). Now, he'll be looking up to the Knicks, Magic, Heat and Boston for the time-being. If the new CBA includes a hard cap, it screws Lenin from spending the way he'll want to. Without the injuries, this Denver squad is pretty much the same one that found its way to the WCF just a couple years back. A commitment to stay, coupled with being a vocal leader that asked management to be aggressive to add more pieces might have brought success to Denver sooner than it may in NJ.

DeadlyDynasty
01-10-2011, 02:16 PM
I get that, but I think Denver had the potential to be in a better position than NJ. Spending doesn't always mean success (look at the Mavs or Knicks as examples). Now, he'll be looking up to the Knicks, Magic, Heat and Boston for the time-being. If the new CBA includes a hard cap, it screws Lenin from spending the way he'll want to. Without the injuries, this Denver squad is pretty much the same one that found its way to the WCF just a couple years back. A commitment to stay, coupled with being a vocal leader that asked management to be aggressive to add more pieces might have brought success to Denver sooner than it may in NJ.

:rollin

I hear what you're saying...I just don't think the situation in Denver is THAT much more promising to dissuade a player from looking for greener pastures

Shank
01-10-2011, 02:22 PM
:rollin

I hear what you're saying...I just don't think the situation in Denver is THAT much more promising to dissuade a player from looking for greener pastures

Problem is, it's not likely to stop with this latest trade. Great players in small markets are finding it easier to strap management with a trade request or the threat to not negotiate new terms. It sets a bad precedent. Granted, yes, some of these guys will be free agents and they have certain rights in that regard, but there's something to be said for a guy that understands the work he's put in and vows to continue to help for the future.

Denver looked to be right on the edge of continuing to make some noise in the WC but were hampered by those KMart and Birdman injuries. It also didn't help their momentum, last year, when Karl was forced to be absent for a good amount of time. That fanbase is quickly turning on him and the guy could care less. And why should he? To him, there are brighter lights ahead.

DeadlyDynasty
01-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Problem is, it's not likely to stop with this latest trade. Great players in small markets are finding it easier to strap management with a trade request or the threat to not negotiate new terms. It sets a bad precedent. Granted, yes, some of these guys will be free agents and they have certain rights in that regard, but there's something to be said for a guy that understands the work he's put in and vows to continue to help for the future.

Denver looked to be right on the edge of continuing to make some noise in the WC but were hampered by those KMart and Birdman injuries. It also didn't help their momentum, last year, when Karl was forced to be absent for a good amount of time. That fanbase is quickly turning on him and the guy could care less. And why should he? To him, there are brighter lights ahead.

I agree that it sets a bad precedent...CP3 tried doing that before the season as well. It'll ultimately lead up to contraction of a handful of NBA teams--and depending on what side of the fence you are--that's not entirely a bad thing.

IMO the precedent was set (under different pretenses) in 2008 with the Celtics creating the first "Super Team." Since then players and teams have mobilized to create their own versions of that, and just now are we seeing the possible repercussions.

ElNono
01-10-2011, 02:43 PM
IMO the precedent was set (under different pretenses) in 2008 with the Celtics creating the first "Super Team." Since then players and teams have mobilized to create their own versions of that, and just now are we seeing the possible repercussions.

this... and that the league is endorsing the proliferation of super teams and does absolutely nothing about the 'trade demands' is what makes the whole thing much more disgusting... It really is a disservice to the league.
People now talk how the East is even weaker than last season, but if you take a look, Bosh leaving Toronto and Lebron leaving Cleveland left those teams in fucking shambles. There's just not enough talent to go around to make those teams competitive again in the short term.

LeHeat_Dynasty
01-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Not all players are willing to leave for greener pastures. Lebron and Bosh are two individuals who could play for a better situation and and even better basketball city (Chicago & New York) but both signed with Miami who IMO is a lesser city in terms of market share and history.

I think Melo however is making a bad basketball decision, if he's leaving for financial reasons or for the simple fact he wants to be closer to his faimly then thats acceptable. But Denver has always been a great situation for him, and I feel Kroenke has surrounded him with a tremendous amount of quality role players. IIRC, two seasons ago, they were a game away from advancing in the Finals.

I understand his frustration in Denver but he's not in a position to use the teams failure as an excuse to leave, especially when he always had a less than impressive run in those series. Melo is also leaving at the worst possible time. The Lakers and Spurs dynasty run are nearing its end, Kobe and Duncan are a full season away from a steep and sharp decline. Portland and Houston's futures are pretty much in shamble while the Phoenix Suns are primed for a new beginning, so this leaves the Western Conference pretty wide open for any team looking to go past the WCF. If repeated failure against the Lakers has frustrated Carmelo, then he's in a much rude awakening going to the East where the Heat and Orlando are just starting to build their own version of dynasty.

jjktkk
01-10-2011, 02:53 PM
I agree that it sets a bad precedent...CP3 tried doing that before the season as well. It'll ultimately lead up to contraction of a handful of NBA teams--and depending on what side of the fence you are--that's not entirely a bad thing.

NBA fans of small market teams should cringe and want to slap Stern upside his head for allowing "Superteams" to be created. Stern wants the Large market teams to prosper, which makes marketing and business sense, but is unfair to small market teams who cannot compete. The Boston big 3 was legit, because they gave up alot to make that team happen, but there should of been no way plausible for Miami to be able to sign 3 max contract players on their team. Although not as bad as Miami creating a instant contender overnight, the bogus Gasol giveaway to the Lakers was another example of Stern ensuring that his big market glamour teams will be able to contend. If your a Heat, Laker, or Net fan, things are great, but what kind of realistic hope do King, Twolves, and Rapter fans, to name a few, have? When Melo becomes a Net and the team relocates in Brooklyn, you damn sure will know Melo will be out recruitng max FAs to create the next "Super Team".

Shank
01-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Denver could easily be a top 4/5 team in the West if it wasn't for the Carmelo thing hanging over their heads all season long.

TheSullyMonster
01-10-2011, 03:01 PM

I'm fairly certain that for the NBA, it is to be financially successful.

I'm also fairly certain it's that way for the majority of players, too.:wakeup

Do you really think the majority of players would play for $40k a year?:lol

Shank
01-10-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm fairly certain that for the NBA, it is to be financially successful.

I'm also fairly certain it's that way for the majority of players, too.:wakeup

Do you really think the majority of players would play for $40k a year?:lol

Do you know of many current NBA superstars that are hurting for money? I can name a good list of guys that are overpaid for their services. You've decided to nitpick and separate my statement, but dividing those sentences wasn't the intent of what I'd written. The NBA, yes, is a business set out to make money like any other enterprise. Each team vies for the title. It's sad to think there are a number of players that are more content with paydays and bright lights than reaching the ultimate prize. In some way, this is actually a credit to Ron Artest. My balls hurt writing that.

LeHeat_Dynasty
01-10-2011, 03:12 PM
I never buy the idea that Stern is behind all these transactions. It's simply ignorant at best. If this is the case, then why are the Knicks in the basement for so long? Why are the Celtics prior to the assemply of the "Big 3" were in the gutter for so long? Remind me why Stern ordered his referees to gave Miami the edge in 2006 to beat that larger market in Dallas? Common sense would tell you that if Stern wants the larger market to prosper then its a no brainer to help Dallas who arguably has the best owner in the league.

Stern has made some questionable decisions as Commissioner throughout his tenure in the association, but I'm baffled to read posts from people thinking he's behind all these dubious player destination transactions that takes place.

Shank
01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
It's just fun to think of Fuhrer Stern, twiddling his thumbs in his darkened office, making shit happen.

LeHeat_Dynasty
01-10-2011, 03:22 PM
It's sad to think there are a number of players that are more content with paydays and bright lights than reaching the ultimate prize. In some way, this is actually a credit to Ron Artest. My balls hurt writing that.

I'm actually all in for any revised CBA rules to take effect next year and I'm hoping to see drastic changes because though the quality of talent has increased the overall quality of the game IMO has suffered and its in part of guaranteed contracts. I'd really like to see the owners reward the players who earns their money and cut ties with those who are paid guaranteed contracts because of one magical season

LeHeat_Dynasty
01-10-2011, 03:22 PM
It's sad to think there are a number of players that are more content with paydays and bright lights than reaching the ultimate prize. In some way, this is actually a credit to Ron Artest. My balls hurt writing that.

I'm actually all in for any revised CBA rules to take effect next year and I'm hoping to see drastic changes because though the quality of talent has increased the overall quality of the game IMO has suffered and its in part of guaranteed contracts. I'd really like to see the owners reward the players who earns their money and cut ties with those who are paid guaranteed contracts because of one magical season that s

TheSullyMonster
01-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Do you know of many current NBA superstars that are hurting for money? I can name a good list of guys that are overpaid for their services. You've decided to nitpick and separate my statement, but dividing those sentences wasn't the intent of what I'd written. The NBA, yes, is a business set out to make money like any other enterprise. Each team vies for the title. It's sad to think there are a number of players that are more content with paydays and bright lights than reaching the ultimate prize. In some way, this is actually a credit to Ron Artest. My balls hurt writing that.

"Not hurting for money" and "Not wanting more money" are two very different things.

I just don't completely understand your opinion is what it comes down to. Sure it might make for more entertaining basketball, I get that. But if you want to watch games where exposure and money aren't a consideration you're pretty much limited to HS ball.

I don't think I'll ever understand the hating for players chasing economic opportunities. They're employees. It's a job. They don't take a vow of poverty or reasonable salary upon draft day, they find out which team will pay them money for their talents.

Shank
01-10-2011, 03:28 PM
"Not hurting for money" and "Not wanting more money" are two very different things.

I just don't completely understand your opinion is what it comes down to. Sure it might make for more entertaining basketball, I get that. But if you want to watch games where exposure and money aren't a consideration you're pretty much limited to HS ball.

I don't think I'll ever understand the hating for players chasing economic opportunities. They're employees. It's a job. They don't take a vow of poverty or reasonable salary upon draft day, they find out which team will pay them money for their talents.

It comes from guys that are eschewing good opportunities to compete for a title to rather have their name in bright lights instead.

Is this an economic opportunity for Carmelo? Maybe. There should be more marketing opportunities for him in NY and under Stalin, but there gets to be a point where you have enough money (unless you're Antoine Walker) and a guy's pride should come more from having bested the game.

TheSullyMonster
01-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Oh for sure, there is a definitely a point where you have 'enough' money and you can do whatever the fuck you want.

I'm definitely not going to mock my Dad for selling his company and retiring early to be a stay at home dad, for instance.

I just don't get the hate for NBA players collecting a paycheck, really. But those players taking less money are the heralded minority, not the majority. They also tend to be old(by NBA standards) and at the very edge or just past their prime, and their days of earning big money are usually over.

As far as pride, I think most players who only play well during contract years and then slack off are the ones that should be publicly shamed. If George Hill gets a max contract from Cleveland, and takes it solely for the money? But still plays his heart out? Good for him. But Shaq, SJax showing up to training camp fat, and taking entire seasons off? Fuck them.

JamStone
01-10-2011, 03:47 PM
You forget that a lot of these "superstar" players have massive, massive egos. So while Carmelo might realize he needs some help, I bet you he thinks he can be the franchise player around which a championship can be built. So I'm guessing in his mind, he thinks that he can change the fortunes of the Nets as "the guy." Being in the New York market is obviously a factor, but I don't think whatever team he's traded to, he'd think they'd stay a "bad" team for long.

jjktkk
01-10-2011, 03:57 PM
I never buy the idea that Stern is behind all these transactions. It's simply ignorant at best. If this is the case, then why are the Knicks in the basement for so long? Why are the Celtics prior to the assemply of the "Big 3" were in the gutter for so long?

The Knicks have been horribly mismanaged for years. From their idiotic owner to the Isiah Thomas fiasco. They are just now beginning to dig out of the mess they created themselves. As far as Boston is concerned, the NBA struggled without Boston, NY, or Philly being relavant. With Boston being a championship contender the all important East Coast market is somewhat alive again.

Remind me why Stern ordered his referees to gave Miami the edge in 2006 to beat that larger market in Dallas? Common sense would tell you that if Stern wants the larger market to prosper then its a no brainer to help Dallas who arguably has the best owner in the league..

Have you not been paying attention to the Stern/Cuban wars the past several years? Stern absolutely hates Cuban, and vice versa.

Stern has made some questionable decisions as Commissioner throughout his tenure in the association, but I'm baffled to read posts from people thinking he's behind all these dubious player destination transactions that takes place.

Continue to be baffled I guess. :toast

LeHeat_Dynasty
01-10-2011, 04:07 PM
jjktkk, would'nt you agree then that the teams who have prospered are more likely because they have outstanding personnel running the show and an owner with deep pockets willing to splurge rather than Stern handing them gifts?

I dont deny that there are shakehand deals going on behind the scenes from other GM's but I dont find any evidence that Stern has a hand in any deal. But that's just my opinion.

jjktkk
01-10-2011, 05:33 PM
jjktkk, would'nt you agree then that the teams who have prospered are more likely because they have outstanding personnel running the show and an owner with deep pockets willing to splurge rather than Stern handing them gifts?

I dont deny that there are shakehand deals going on behind the scenes from other GM's but I dont find any evidence that Stern has a hand in any deal. But that's just my opinion.

The problem with the NBA, NFL, MLB, is there are the haves, and have nots. The haves are usually the big market teams,and the have nots, are the small market teams. I just wish there was more parity. Not knocking any Heat fans, but to be able to sign 3 max guys is unfair imo.

The Batman
01-10-2011, 05:40 PM
While true that it's not fair that one team can sign 3 max players, it brings the NBA the true villian that everyone loves to hate. The 2000-2002 Lakers used to be that team because they were such a force to deal with, now it's the Heat

Giuseppe
01-10-2011, 05:43 PM
The problem with the NBA, NFL, MLB, is there are the haves, and have nots. The haves are usually the big market teams,and the have nots, are the small market teams. I just wish there was more parity. Not knocking any Heat fans, but to be able to sign 3 max guys is unfair imo.

Shut up. You closed The Forum. + you got the best record this season.

jjktkk
01-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Shut up. You closed The Forum. + you got the best record this season.

The Spurs are the one true exception to the rule. The Spurs were extremely lucky to win the lottery twice and each time got a HOFer.

21_Blessings
01-10-2011, 06:51 PM
It's not luck when Pop ordered the tank.

Giuseppe
01-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Blessings x 21

frodo
01-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Clippers aren't a good team, located in LA but not having a big market. LA is entirely propertied by the Lakers imo, clippers only get some scraps at best

The Batman
01-10-2011, 07:50 PM
On another note, Sean Elliott confirmed his gayness last game

"I have to control myself when it comes to him" - in reference to Duncan

TheSullyMonster
01-10-2011, 08:02 PM
It's not luck when Pop ordered the tank.

Not even touching the tank thing with a ten foot pole, but the spurs only had a 21.4 chance of the #1 pick.:wakeup

jjktkk
01-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Blessings x 21

Blessings needs to take it easy on the model glue.