PDA

View Full Version : Rangers may not be done yet...Jim Thome?

Texas Chili Dog
01-10-2011, 07:31 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/01/the-rangers-jim-thome.html

The Rangers may have missed out on their top offseason target, but they signed Adrian Beltre and they aren't done yet. Texas is pursuing Jim Thome, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney.

Any team looking to add thump against right-handed pitching is likely salivating over the .294/.430/.617 line Thome has posted against right-handers in his 20-year career. Last year was better than usual, as the slugger hit 25 homers and hit .302/.455/.698 against righties. But as productive as Thome is at the plate, he wouldn't fit effortlessly in the Rangers' lineup because he's left-handed and doesn't play defense.

Michael Young has a history of handling lefties better than Thome, but he probably wouldn't be available to spell Thome against southpaws. Mitch Moreland and Chris Davis both hit from the left side and struggle against southpaws, which makes Young a likely candidate to play first base against left-handers regardless of which first baseman wins the everyday job.

If Young plays first base against lefties, the Rangers would likely rely on Thome to DH, though he is nothing special against southpaws (career .763 OPS). Outfielders David Murphy, Julio Borbon and Engel Beltre all bat from the left side, so the Rangers wouldn't gain a platoon advantage if they were to DH Josh Hamilton against southpaws and replace him in the field.

A right-handed DH like Vladimir Guerrero, Manny Ramirez, Troy Glaus, Marcus Thames or Andruw Jones would allow the Rangers to DH Hamilton against some right-handers while a lefty-hitting outfielder like Borbon or Murphy played the field. The Rangers could DH Hamilton against righties even if they sign Thome, but not without depriving Thome of the chance to demolish right-handed pitching.

This is not to say that Thome isn't a fit in the Lone Star State. He is coming off a remarkably productive season and if he can repeat his 2010 performance, lineup shuffling would be secondary for the Rangers. Plus, the offseason isn't over. The team could sign Thome and adjust its lineup accordingly by making a secondary move or two.

jjktkk
01-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Would love to have Thome. Great DH.

Phillip
01-11-2011, 11:12 AM
they must be wanting to move michael young to 1B full time and have Thome as the DH. i wonder if they are looking to use Moreland in a trade?

monosylab1k
01-11-2011, 11:02 PM
So they're spending all offseason either grossly overpaying for contract year whores, or going after steroids era hitters well past their prime?

It's like Tom Hicks never left.

JamStone
01-11-2011, 11:17 PM
I think he'd be a really good pick-up for the Rangers. 25 HRs last year in 276 official ABs? That's ridiculous. He would rake in Arlington.

I think not keeping Cliff Lee makes any other move feel extremely underwhelming. If Lee re-signed, any move would just feel like gravy.

Thome would be a good pick-up if they sign him.

EricB
01-12-2011, 12:02 AM
So they're spending all offseason either grossly overpaying for contract year whores, or going after steroids era hitters well past their prime?

The guy had 25 home runs in a HUGE ballpark and played IMO sparingly and wasn't used well at all.

:lol Seriously come on.

EricB
01-12-2011, 12:04 AM
I think he'd be a really good pick-up for the Rangers. 25 HRs last year in 276 official ABs? That's ridiculous. He would rake in Arlington.

I think not keeping Cliff Lee makes any other move feel extremely underwhelming. If Lee re-signed, any move would just feel like gravy.

Thome would be a good pick-up if they sign him.

Exactly, with that right field porch, he would KILL.

The only problem is, the team goes to a VERY lefty ball club, and when they face a lefthanded starter two of Moreland, Murphy, Borbon would have to play.

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 10:33 AM

So your saying Thome is on roids? You have proof, evidence? It seems you have difficulty understanding the dynamics of how the business side of baseball works. When your a contender like the Rangers, you do go after players like a Thome, who BTW, is not chasing another multiyear contract like your applying. How is it gonna hurt to sign Thome to a one year deal?

monosylab1k
01-12-2011, 10:54 AM
So your saying Thome is on roids?

No, I said his best years were in the steroids era. Learn to fucking read.

You have proof, evidence?

Don't need it. Learn to fucking read.

It seems you have difficulty understanding the dynamics of how the business side of baseball works. When your a contender like the Rangers, you do go after players like a Thome

Why, because their pitching rotation is so stacked they can waste this money on another hitter?

who BTW, is not chasing another multiyear contract like your applying.

I said no such thing about Jim Thome. It seems you have difficulty understanding the dynamics of the English language.

How is it gonna hurt to sign Thome to a one year deal?

It won't. How is it gonna hurt to spend that money on a pitcher?

Phillip
01-12-2011, 10:55 AM

+1

While Cliff Lee would have been fantastic to have, people forget that this team pretty much did everything to get into the playoffs without Cliff Lee's help. The small part of the regular season that he did play in, he wasn't very good, and had a record of something like 4-6. And they did it with Hamilton missing a month, and both Kinsler and Cruz missing 2.

IMO health, along with finally having playoff experience should most definitely help this team out for another run to and through the playoffs. Colby Lewis showed he can take his game to another level in the playoffs which was great to see. Hopefully CJ pitch at the same pace he did last year. And another year of experience should only help Tommy Hunter. Another good starting pitcher would definitely help, but to me, the team proved they can win 90+ games without a guy like Cliff Lee.

Phillip
01-12-2011, 10:57 AM
How is it gonna hurt to spend that money on a pitcher?

tbh how many good pitchers are available at this point? right now, it might be best to stock up on solid hitters and such to give themselves some room to make a trade sometime during the season, like they were able to do for Lee last season.

monosylab1k
01-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Seriously, if this was 5 years ago, every one of you would be blasting the Beltre and Thome deals as being the work of those dumbasses Hart and Hicks. Now that it's Nolan Ryan calling the shots, everything he does is genius :rolleyes

This deal won't be nearly as bad as the Beltre deal, but it's still money poorly spent when the team has other bigger needs.

monosylab1k
01-12-2011, 10:59 AM
tbh how many good pitchers are available at this point? right now, it might be best to stock up on solid hitters

That was the mentality for at least 20 years in Arlington, and that's why the team had one playoff win in franchise history until last season.

Phillip
01-12-2011, 11:03 AM
That was the mentality for at least 20 years in Arlington, and that's why the team had one playoff win in franchise history until last season.

True to an extent. They likely would have had a few more playoff wins if they didn't have the misfortune of running into the Yankees each year right off the bat though.

Phillip
01-12-2011, 11:03 AM
But the problem is, after Lee was signed, and Grienke was traded to KC, there wasnt much available on the market. Probably gonna just have to wait until the trade deadline to see what happens.

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 11:20 AM
they must be wanting to move michael young to 1B full time and have Thome as the DH. i wonder if they are looking to use Moreland in a trade?

No. The Rangers could of traded for Matt Garza, but TB wanted Moreland. Rangers said no.

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/01/grant-rangers-reluctance-to-tr.html

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Look dumbass, the Rangers went the route of trying to sign FA pitchers. Chan Ho Park, Kevin Milwood ring a bell? There is no #1 pitcher out there to sign.

Phillip
01-12-2011, 11:39 AM
No. The Rangers could of traded for Matt Garza, but TB wanted Moreland. Rangers said no.

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/01/grant-rangers-reluctance-to-tr.html

Moreland is pretty good. I'm not sure if Matt Garza is enough to warrant trading Moreland. It would need to be someone better than Garza.

Personally I would rather keep Moreland though. He is young, and I think possibly has all-star ability.

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 11:52 AM
No, I said his best years were in the steroids era. Learn to fucking read.

You can't be this ignorant. Your implying that Thome was on roids, since his best years were during the steriod era. GTFO if your not trying to link Thome to roids.

Why, because their pitching rotation is so stacked they can waste this money on another hitter ?

Whose out there can the Rangers sign that is better than CJ Wilson? If you read the various Ranger news, T.Rangers.com., ESPN Dallas, DMN, etc..., you would know the Rangers are looking for starting pitching. The Rangers attempted to land Garza in a trade, but they didn't want to give up Mitch Moreland, so the trade fell through. Theres also the trade deadline in which the Rangers can potentially acquire pitching. The Rangers are looking at every conceivable way to improve their team, be it pitching, and/or hitting. Did you not see the World Series, where the Rangers offense went dead? The Rangers need to upgrade both pitching and offense.

I said no such thing about Jim Thome. It seems you have difficulty understanding the dynamics of the English language.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4890626&postcount=4. So who do you mean by "contract year whores" that the Rangers are going after?

It won't. How is it gonna hurt to spend that money on a pitcher?

They signed Brandon Webb. You have a particular pitcher you would like the Rangers to sign?

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 11:53 AM
moreland is pretty good. I'm not sure if matt garza is enough to warrant trading moreland. It would need to be someone better than garza.

Personally i would rather keep moreland though. He is young, and i think possibly has all-star ability.

+1.

monosylab1k
01-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Your implying that Thome was on roids, since his best years were during the steriod era

I just stated a fact, nothing more. You're the one making implications.

Whose out there can the Rangers sign that is better than CJ Wilson?

Carl Pavano

And you're fucking retarded if you think CJ Wilson having one good year as a starter means he's gonna be automatic from here on out.

If you read the various Ranger news, T.Rangers.com., ESPN Dallas, DMN, etc..., you would know the Rangers are looking for starting pitching.

Not hard enough.

The Rangers attempted to land Garza in a trade, but they didn't want to give up Mitch Moreland

Then they're idiots.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4890626&postcount=4. So who do you mean by "contract year whores" that the Rangers are going after?

The Rangers have only signed one contract year whore so far this offseason. I'll let you figure that one out, champ.

They signed Brandon Webb. You have a particular pitcher you would like the Rangers to sign?

Yeah somebody who has done better than pitch FOUR INNINGS IN TWO FUCKING YEARS.

If you're penciling Brandon Webb in as anything more than a marginal fifth starter on this team, assuming he can stay at all healthy, then you're even dumber than I thought.

monosylab1k
01-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Moreland is pretty good. I'm not sure if Matt Garza is enough to warrant trading Moreland. It would need to be someone better than Garza.

Personally I would rather keep Moreland though. He is young, and I think possibly has all-star ability.

Moreland is a prospect who had a good couple of months. Nothing more. Can he be All-Star level? Yes. Will he be? Nobody knows.

What we DO KNOW is that Matt Garza is a very capable and proven Major League pitcher.

I'll take a proven 2nd/3rd starter over a hot 1B prospect any day. The shit I took 5 minutes ago had a hot 1B prospect in it.

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 12:42 PM
I just stated a fact, nothing more. You're the one making implications.

Carl Pavano

And you're fucking retarded if you think CJ Wilson having one good year as a starter means he's gonna be automatic from here on out.

Not hard enough.

Then they're idiots.

The Rangers have only signed one contract year whore so far this offseason. I'll let you figure that one out, champ.

Yeah somebody who has done better than pitch FOUR INNINGS IN TWO FUCKING YEARS.

If you're penciling Brandon Webb in as anything more than a marginal fifth starter on this team, assuming he can stay at all healthy, then you're even dumber than I thought.

Cartoon avatar, cartoon brain, tbh.

monosylab1k
01-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Cartoon avatar, cartoon brain, tbh.

Thanks for admitting I'm right.

Phillip
01-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Moreland is a prospect who had a good couple of months. Nothing more. Can he be All-Star level? Yes. Will he be? Nobody knows.

What we DO KNOW is that Matt Garza is a very capable and proven Major League pitcher.

I'll take a proven 2nd/3rd starter over a hot 1B prospect any day. The shit I took 5 minutes ago had a hot 1B prospect in it.

I don't disagree with that, but I can at the same time understand why Texas would be reluctant to trade him, considering how he was perhaps the most consistent player for the Rangers through all the playoffs. Constantly made very nice plays and catches and hit quite well.

Does anyone think Feliz is capable of being a starting pitcher?

monosylab1k
01-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Does anyone think Feliz is capable of being a starting pitcher?

He needs more control and a better 3rd pitch before that happens.

I wanted Feliz badly to be a starter, but he seems a much better fit as a closer. I don't see him being consistent enough for 7+ innings to really be anything great. OTOH, he could be the best closer in the league for the next 15 years.

Phillip
01-12-2011, 12:51 PM
He needs more control and a better 3rd pitch before that happens.

I wanted Feliz badly to be a starter, but he seems a much better fit as a closer. I don't see him being consistent enough for 7+ innings to really be anything great. OTOH, he could be the best closer in the league for the next 15 years.

Yeah, he's definitely a hellified closer.

I think its worth a shot to see how capable he is as a starter though. He was only a rookie.

Phillip
01-12-2011, 12:52 PM
I think it would be worth a shot to see if Feliz can start, and let Ogando close.

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for admitting I'm right.

LOL, uh, okay. English must be your 2nd language, but you do write it very well. :tu

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 02:11 PM
I think it would be worth a shot to see if Feliz can start, and let Ogando close.

They are stretching Feliz out for Spring training and are gonna give Feliz a serious look as a starter.

Fpoonsie
01-12-2011, 02:26 PM
But, obviously, Rangers do that and they lose one of the best closers in the game. Who takes his place?

Phillip
01-12-2011, 03:03 PM
But, obviously, Rangers do that and they lose one of the best closers in the game. Who takes his place?

ogando

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 04:36 PM

Francisco.

monosylab1k
01-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Francisco.

:lmao

BUMP
01-12-2011, 07:03 PM

This is what I'm really worried about. Between him, Lewis, and Hunter I'm afraid one of them will pull a Feldman next year. That's baseball.

Unfortunately I think this team will just be back to the Strangers of the earlier decade that would pound homers like nobody's business but rarely win games.

IMO, I think they should convert Ogando to be a starter and leave Feliz as closer

BUMP
01-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Francisco.

I guess you didn't watch the team in April last season

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 08:36 PM
I guess you didn't watch the team in April last season

Just thowing his name out there. He has closed games before. It could be a closer by committee, if Feliz makes as a starter.

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 08:42 PM
This is what I'm really worried about. Between him, Lewis, and Hunter I'm afraid one of them will pull a Feldman next year. That's baseball.

Unfortunately I think this team will just be back to the Strangers of the earlier decade that would pound homers like nobody's business but rarely win games.

IMO, I think they should convert Ogando to be a starter and leave Feliz as closer

Disagree, because of Ryan and Mark Maddox, overseeing the pitching staff. Thank of the considerable improvement The Rangers staff since Maddox became the pitching coach. The Rangers had one of the better staff E.R.A.s in the AL. Don't remember their overall E.R.A., but It was pretty solid considering the home ballpark. I can understand you being anxious about Ranger's boxscores looking more like a football boxscore, I remember the 90s too, but I don't see that happening.

BUMP
01-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Just thowing his name out there. He has closed games before. It could be a closer by committee, if Feliz makes as a starter.

:td

Closer is a pretty important position, tbh.

I would much rather keep Feliz as a closer then turn him into a decent starting pitcher. He has the potential to be the best closer in the majors for a while once Rivera retires.

Without Feliz holding down the end of the bullpen, all chaos would break loose, imo. Francisco has had his chance but just blows way too many saves. Ogando is decent but he shits his pants and gets wild once he inherits any runners.

jjktkk
01-13-2011, 02:18 AM

I would much rather keep Feliz as a closer then turn him into a decent starting pitcher. He has the potential to be the best closer in the majors for a while once Rivera retires.

Without Feliz holding down the end of the bullpen, all chaos would break loose, imo. Francisco has had his chance but just blows way too many saves. Ogando is decent but he shits his pants and gets wild once he inherits any runners.

It is, but if Feliz shows #1 stuff, it would be hard for management to not give him a shot. I wouldn't want Feliz starting unless he showed the ability to be a ace. The question might turn out to be what would you rather have a lockdown closer, or a true #1 ace? No easy answer imo, but I would want a ace.

The Reckoning
01-13-2011, 03:23 AM
its sad because i used to like the rangers until this past season when all their obnoxious dallas fans came out of the woods.

tbh

monosylab1k
01-13-2011, 08:39 AM
its sad because i used to like the rangers until this past season when all their obnoxious dallas fans came out of the woods.

tbh

Did you and Pat also quit asking people for heroin once it got popular in Dallas?

BUMP
01-13-2011, 08:55 AM

tbh

your a faggot

Phillip
01-13-2011, 11:14 AM

true.

might be better as you say to give ogando the shot at a starting spot. he definitely has good pitching ability. just gotta develop the mental aspect of his game. holland was another guy who seemed to really shit himself once things went wrong, although I had to give him credit, there was a few times in the playoffs where he was thrust into tough situations, and he fortunately was able to minimize the damage, even though he was visibly scared as hell. although he did fucking horrible in that game against the giants where he loaded the bases... but then again, most of the team did horrible in the world series. colby lewis was the only one who seemed to not be scared one bit.

Whisky Dog
01-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Other than Rivera how many guys have been lock down closers for years? For some reason closers seem to be bad ass for a while then completely fizzle and break down mentally.

Texas Chili Dog
01-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Well, Thome re-signed with the Twins.

/thread

dallaskd
01-15-2011, 07:09 PM

damn i would take that in a minute, Garza is solid but the rangers have been butt hurt trading away 1Bs in the past. It be nice to have Adrian Gonzalez or Travis Hafner back..

jack sommerset
01-16-2011, 06:29 PM
They need to get Manny on the team to help sell seats.

Texas Chili Dog
01-17-2011, 03:18 PM
They need to get Manny on the team to help sell seats.

I don't think that will be much of a problem after last season.

jack sommerset
01-18-2011, 10:13 PM
I don't think that will be much of a problem after last season.

I don't know about that. They did lose Lee and that ballpark is way out there in arlington. And they still are the Rangers. I live in Plano (What do you call a black guy that lives in Plano?) and I need a little more than what they have now for me to drive out there more than 4-5 times a year especially on a work night. We have the Roughriders in our backyard so when I need a baseball fix I head over there. It's actually very nice and much, much less expensive. And the ballpark in arlington is a dump. A straight up dump. Bring in Manny, even at this time in his career and you will sell more seats.

Phillip
01-19-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't know about that. They did lose Lee and that ballpark is way out there in arlington. And they still are the Rangers. I live in Plano (What do you call a black guy that lives in Plano?) and I need a little more than what they have now for me to drive out there more than 4-5 times a year especially on a work night. We have the Roughriders in our backyard so when I need a baseball fix I head over there. It's actually very nice and much, much less expensive. And the ballpark in arlington is a dump. A straight up dump. Bring in Manny, even at this time in his career and you will sell more seats.

Gotta say, I agree with this. I live in Plano too. What part are you in? I'm in a condo off 14th and Los Rios.

monosylab1k
01-19-2011, 01:09 PM

lol @ your comments about the ballpark. One of the better ballparks in the major leagues.

and :lmao :lmao :lmao are you claiming to be black? Brah we already exposed you as the pasty white fat pedo you are.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/425/jacksommerset.jpg

:lol fat pedo.

BUMP
01-19-2011, 05:10 PM
<Plano Senior High class of 08, tbh

monosylab1k
01-19-2011, 07:28 PM
<Plano Senior High class of 08, tbh

<---PESH graduate imho. suck it.

BUMP
01-19-2011, 08:28 PM
the goods :tu