PDA

View Full Version : Game Blog: Spurs @ Wolves - Jan. 11

Pages : 1 2 [3]

rasho8
01-11-2011, 10:42 PM
I still cant figure out why Splitter is in Pop's doghouse. I really hope he isn't and that he is just not wanting to mess with the rotation since they are working so well. I would hate to see Splitter get the Beno treatment.

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Damn, I'm glad Spurs didn't play close in this one with the Wolves......

Capt Bringdown
01-11-2011, 10:56 PM
I still cant figure out why Splitter is in Pop's doghouse. I really hope he isn't and that he is just not wanting to mess with the rotation since they are working so well. I would hate to see Splitter get the Beno treatment.

He's had some bright spots earlier in the season, but is simply not getting opportunities anymore. Splitter's getting less minutes as the season goes on. Wouldn't it be better to send him to the D-league? Develop doesn't happen to spectators.

If anything, IMO his length would be a plus, even in limited minutes.

timaios
01-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Starting lineup +/-

Tony +16
Manu +15
RJ +13
Tim +16
Dejuan +1

Find the weak link !

rasho8
01-11-2011, 11:14 PM
LOL When your weak link still has a positive +/- thats a pretty damn good situation to be. I am confident its just that he missed training camp and Pop doesn't have a dire need for him like he did with RJ last year.

I think we are too good with too good of chemistry to fuck with it now.

timaios
01-11-2011, 11:18 PM
LOL When your weak link still has a positive +/- thats a pretty damn good situation to be. I am confident its just that he missed training camp and Pop doesn't have a dire need for him like he did with RJ last year.

I think we are too good with too good of chemistry to fuck with it now.

It's the Wolves !!!

Blair is awful against twin towers teams.

EricB
01-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Im not happy at all with the Splitter situation.

BUT,

I would be furious if someone ahead of him wasn't playing well and getting minutes instead of him.

DesignatedT
01-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Im not happy at all with the Splitter situation.

BUT,

I would be furious if someone ahead of him wasn't playing well and getting minutes instead of him.

That's pretty much it. Bonner is playing very good ball right now and not just shooting wise. He is rebounding and defending better than I ever remember seeing out of him. Blair would probably be the odd man out of the 3 since we all know what Dice is capable of. We are very deep on the front line, that is for sure.

DPG21920
01-12-2011, 12:20 AM
That's pretty much it. Bonner is playing very good ball right now and not just shooting wise. He is rebounding and defending better than I ever remember seeing out of him. Blair would probably be the odd man out of the 3 since we all know what Dice is capable of. We are very deep on the front line, that is for sure.

I don't get how the Spurs can be so deep and they still get out rebounded? I really don't understand how this team is middle of the pack in rebounding.

The poor defense I can understand, but the rebounding is inexcusable imo. They should be top 5.

TampaDude
01-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Easy win...next!

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

EricB
01-12-2011, 01:18 AM

Yeah Blair could be the oddman out I suppose.

I dunno, I still think that game against Oklahoma City where Pop put him in early, and gave him lots of run was a test and Tiago failed it pretty bad and Pop has been reluctant to go back to the well again.

Stupid move? Yeah most likely, but who knows.

TD 21
01-12-2011, 01:47 AM
I don't get how the Spurs can be so deep and they still get out rebounded? I really don't understand how this team is middle of the pack in rebounding.

The poor defense I can understand, but the rebounding is inexcusable imo. They should be top 5.

It's due to the limited minutes being played by Duncan, Blair and McDyess. In the playoffs, when Duncan and McDyess are playing extended minutes (who knows what role Blair will have) and not pacing themselves, this team instantly becomes an elite rebounding team.

Even as is, with the litany of small lineups that have slowly but surely been utilized more and more as the season has wore on, entering play tonight they were still 8th in total rebounds and 10th in rebound rate.

Capt Bringdown
01-12-2011, 01:52 AM

Because the Spurs are not in fact deep as some are claiming. We have a serious lack of size and athleticism.
Bonner is a perimeter player, not a rebounder.
Blair is undersized liability.
Dice is serviceable when he's not doing a Kurt Thomas impression. Tonight he looked great, on other nights he's looked immobile and slow, as you might expect from a player his age.

Good enough for the regular season but not the playoffs.

TD 21
01-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Wrong.

Entering play tonight, Blair ranked 15th in rebound rate at 18.7, Duncan ranked 17th at 18.3 and McDyess ranked 31st at 16.4.

By comparison, Bynum ranked T-33 at 16.3, Gasol ranked T-39 at 16.1 and Odom ranked T-43 at 15.9.

Keep in mind, that's about as low as Duncan has been this season. He's usually in the 10-15 range. McDyess has also tailed off, though in his case I suspect it has more to do with pacing himself than it does the inevitable ups and downs of the season.

Will these numbers hold up against the Lakers? Probably not. But there's no reason to expect them to destroy the Spurs on the glass, either. The Spurs aren't the Celtics.

Capt Bringdown
01-12-2011, 02:17 AM
Wrong.

Entering play tonight, Blair ranked 15th in rebound rate at 18.7, Duncan ranked 17th at 18.3 and McDyess ranked 31st at 16.4.

Could you explain what these arcane numbers are supposed to signify? Nerdish, gimmicky stats aside, it seems to me that any ranking of Blair over Duncan or even Dice as a rebounder is absurd.

TD 21
01-12-2011, 02:25 AM
Could you explain what these arcane numbers are supposed to signify? Nerdish, gimmicky stats aside, it seems to me that any ranking of Blair over Duncan or even Dice as a rebounder is absurd.

They should be self explanatory, but I'll oblige. What they signify is the percentage of rebounds each player corrals. They're better indicators of the quality of a rebounder than rebounds per game, because that's heavily predicated on minutes per game.

For example, there's this notion that Duncan is in decline and while that's undeniably true, he's not in decline in all areas. His career average in rebound percentage is 18.5. He's currently at 18.3 (and has usually been higher this season). So even though Gasol leads him in average 10.8 to 9.3, he's still a significantly worse rebounder, because his percentage is 16.1. His superior average is due to him playing 37.7 mpg to Duncan's 29.3.

Basically, this notion that the Lakers bigs are going to destroy the Spurs bigs on the glass is mostly myth. As I said, head to head these numbers can and most likely will change, but not to the extent many think because of their superior height and length. Granted, their bigs have missed some of these games, but if you look back at the box scores from last season and the one game this season, overall the Spurs have held their own.

angelbelow
01-12-2011, 02:34 AM
love has beasted 3 times and they still lose.

Simply case of outclassing your opponent.

Capt Bringdown
01-12-2011, 03:09 AM
Basically, this notion that the Lakers bigs are going to destroy the Spurs bigs on the glass is mostly myth. As I said, head to head these numbers can and most likely will change, but not to the extent many think because of their superior height and length. Granted, their bigs have missed some of these games, but if you look back at the box scores from last season and the one game this season, overall the Spurs have held their own.

Thanks for the explanation. I can see how these numbers persuaded you, but I find them to be exactly that - numbers. I don't see how they're relevant beyond the fantasy leagues.
Is Blair really a better rebounder than Duncan, Dice, Gasol, and Odom? As you stated, regarding the numbers/rankings, "They're better indicators of the quality of a rebounder than rebounds per game."

DesignatedT
01-12-2011, 03:35 AM
It's due to the limited minutes being played by Duncan, Blair and McDyess. In the playoffs, when Duncan and McDyess are playing extended minutes (who knows what role Blair will have) and not pacing themselves, this team instantly becomes an elite rebounding team.

Even as is, with the litany of small lineups that have slowly but surely been utilized more and more as the season has wore on, entering play tonight they were still 8th in total rebounds and 10th in rebound rate.

Definitely agree with this. Duncan playing a career low in minutes definitely doesn't help our overall rebounding numbers.

DesignatedT
01-12-2011, 03:39 AM
Yeah Blair could be the oddman out I suppose.

I dunno, I still think that game against Oklahoma City where Pop put him in early, and gave him lots of run was a test and Tiago failed it pretty bad and Pop has been reluctant to go back to the well again.

Stupid move? Yeah most likely, but who knows.

4 DNP's in a row is pretty foolish IMO. Hopefully there is something going on behind the scenes or he knows what he's doing.

I am not going to say Splitter is some missing piece that will make or break our hopes like most on here preach and I definitely think he is the 5th best big man on this roster right now but I also think he can help against bigger front lines (obviously) even though he hasn't shown much besides being able to take a charge effectively.

I would like to see Dice sit tomorrow out and let Spliter get the minutes.

EricB
01-12-2011, 08:57 AM
I would count on another dnpcd today...

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 10:16 AM
I highly doubt Splitter will see regular minutes this year, but I hope that Splitter will at least see the floor for a few minutes here and there come playoff time.

TD 21
01-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I can see how these numbers persuaded you, but I find them to be exactly that - numbers. I don't see how they're relevant beyond the fantasy leagues.
Is Blair really a better rebounder than Duncan, Dice, Gasol, and Odom? As you stated, regarding the numbers/rankings, "They're better indicators of the quality of a rebounder than rebounds per game."

No problem. The good thing about these numbers is that they take any biases or preconceived notions one may have out of the equation. How are they not relevant? They tell you what percentage of rebounds players corral.

Is Blair a better rebounder than Duncan? It's close (Blair is better offensive, Duncan is better defensive). It was but a few days ago that Duncan was ahead of him. They switch back and forth, but they're both top fifteen guys. But the others? Unquestionably (although if McDyess were not pacing himself, he wouldn't be that far off).

DPG21920
01-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Excuses. This team should be top 5 in rebounding in all categories (maybe not offensive rebounding).

They have the bigs to rebound and all of their other positions should be above average rebounders (RJ, Manu, TP are all good rebounders for their positions).

Dex
01-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Views from the Other Side:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/113320554.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUqPk4DyCc75DiUiD3aPc :_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Technically speaking, Spurs whistle past Wolves
After a third quarter riddled with five technical fouls -- Kurt Rambis was ejected and three other players were T'd up within 10 seconds -- the Wolves lost to the Spurs for the fourth time this season.
By JERRY ZGODA, Star Tribune

Like the characters in a classic Martin Scorsese film, the Timberwolves spoke on Tuesday night with both their hands and their mouths, a combination that hastened their 107-96 loss and season-series sweep to San Antonio at Target Center.

Trailing by six early in the third quarter, the Wolves protested the perceived injustices of the night -- and perhaps of a season that now has included nine victories and 30 defeats.

They were whistled for five technical fouls -- including two consecutively that got coach Kurt Rambis ejected from the game -- in a mere 10 seconds by veteran official Kenny Mauer, who apparently was out to prove that Joe isn't the only Mauer whom paying sports fans will come downtown to see.

The Spurs turned the ensuing five made free throws into a 68-57 lead. The Wolves never again got closer than seven points against a Spurs team that, at 32-6, owns the NBA's best record.

Corey Brewer and Darko Milicic received almost simultaneously technicals for complaining about calls, then Rambis came to their defense and got two more himself.

Ten seconds later, Kevin Love grabbed a rebound, complained that no foul was called and received the fifth and final technical.

"That's my first time playing basketball that I had seen two technicals at the same time," Brewer said. "That's the first time I had seen five in a row."

The Wolves have known all season that NBA officials are cracking down on "overt gestures" as well as whining and complaining about officiating in an effort to clean up the game.

They finally discovered fully Tuesday night what that point of emphasis means.

"I don't like getting 5 T's in 30 seconds," Wolves forward Michael Beasley said, overestimating the time by 20 seconds. "But it has been happening all year. If fans can tell you're yelling at the ref, then they're going to 'T' you. I hope you never see it again. I just think we were all emotional."

Beasley naturally might be the most emotional of all the Timberwolves, but he didn't receive one of the five.

"I just shut up," he said. "When you get emotional, you tend to talk with your hands. When the ref got going, I don't know, I guess he thought he was under attack."

Assistant coach Bill Laimbeer -- not assistant Dave Wohl, who took over a game late last season in New Orleans when Rambis was ejected -- assumed head-coaching duties, and shortly thereafter engaged Mauer in this exchange.

Laimbeer: "You can't toss them all."

Mauer: "I hope not."

If the Wolves had been as prudent with their words and their actions during the game as they were after it, they might not have walked out into the good night winless this season against a mighty Spurs team that they led by 21, 15 and nine points in three previous games.

"I like my money so I don't want to say anything too outlandish here," Love said. "That was just crazy."

Even the veteran Spurs, who have almost seen it all, sounded surprised.

"Maybe three I've seen," guard Manu Ginobili said. "But five, so close?"

San Antonio found a way to win the series' first three games, including the first two that Ginobili said "we didn't even deserve" to win. "I'm really glad that we aren't playing them anymore," he said.

Tuesday, the Spurs took the five gift free throws and regained a double-digit lead that the Wolves never seriously challenged again. They did so by getting double-digit scoring nights from six players, including four of five starters.

"Popovich's playbook is probably three inches thick and they all know it and they all understand it," Rambis said, referring to Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. "They know who they are and we are still trying to figure out who we are."

TD 21
01-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Excuses. This team should be top 5 in rebounding in all categories (maybe not offensive rebounding).

They have the bigs to rebound and all of their other positions should be above average rebounders (RJ, Manu, TP are all good rebounders for their positions).

They're reasons more than they are excuses.

I agree, though, they should be a top five rebounding team. But what to do you expect when Duncan and McDyess are having their minutes managed and Bonner is regularly out there for 12-15 minute stints? It's bound to happen.

Blair needs to pick it up, though, no excuse for him. If he's not going to rebound better, then he has no business playing, because he kills this team defensively and is an afterthought offensively.