PDA

View Full Version : Was is the rule on Dyers Auburn run?

Fabbs
01-11-2011, 07:38 AM
As usual the near worthless media has provided no insight on the ruling. What is the rule in college football for:

1. Forward motion stopped?
Irregardless of Dyers knee or wrist hitting the ground (or not), his forward motion was definitely stopped as he was on top of Oregon tackler. Even Dyer stopped running.

2. Wrist or knee being down?
Yahoo Sports Matt Hinton asks:
"Was Dyer's knee or wrist down on the 37-yard run that put Auburn in position for the game-winning field goal with two minutes to play?"

Knee OR wrist. Dyers left wrist most definitely touches the ground, his knee does not. So what is the rule?

symple19
01-11-2011, 07:44 AM
you is deal with it, beeyatch

Fabbs
01-11-2011, 07:50 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/14/Ralph_Wiggum.png/212px-Ralph_Wiggum.png
I can type swear words on the internet.

NFO
01-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Knee OR wrist. Dyers left wrist most definitely touches the ground, his knee does not. So what is the rule?

Look at the Sugar Bowl when Arkansas had their first TD overturned. The Arky receiver's knee never touches the ground, but he used his wrist to keep him from falling and the refs took away the TD and said that the Arkansas player was down because of his wrist.

DBryant88
01-11-2011, 10:18 AM
you is deal with it, beeyatch

:toast

Phillip
01-11-2011, 01:18 PM
i also thought that if an ankle touches the ground, that counts as down (i could be wrong though). Dyers ankle definitely touched the ground.

JamStone
01-11-2011, 02:09 PM
With forward motion, I've always taken that it is the referees' discretion when forward motion is stopped and they will whistle it down. They never whistled the play dead.

With the wrist thing, it's about the hand being on the back. If a player touches the field with open palm side of his hand, he can continue to run. If the back of his hand touches the field, then he's down.

That's my understanding. That isn't language from any rule or any expert analysis. That's just my understanding of it.