PDA

View Full Version : Rest Dunks and GNob?

Fabbs
01-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Back to back tonight. 4th one of the season.

The last two b2bs vs good teams (Orlando and Boston) we got hammered vs Orlando and then Ginobili went all Kobme on the final possession for the Boston loss. Worst of both worlds. They both log minutes and the Spurs lose. The Bucks might as well be a contending team when they play the Spurs.

The 1st two b2bs even tho we won, Duncan pretty much was a non factor and even sucked vs Cleveland. (OKc and Cleveland).

So, while I'm not saying "hey lets throw this game", i am saying IF Duncan and GNob are going to suck wind anyways, with the goal being a 5th legit Championship, should Poppycock allow them to rest and heal thus use the bench players more tonight?

Vs Cleveland, Splitter stepped up with 18 pts and 5 boards in only 26 minutes. Shot 7-10.

cheguevara
01-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Pop will try them out until early 3rd quarter and shut them down if it's not looking good.

sa_butta
01-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Without Duncan and Ginobili, we could lose this game... I agree with limited minutes but not for the whole game...

ElNono
01-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Vs Cleveland, Splitter stepped up with 18 pts and 5 boards in only 26 minutes. Shot 7-10.

Bogut is not Jamison...

Fabbs
01-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Bogut is not Jamison...
True, and he worked Duncan.

sa_butta
01-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Bogut is not Jamison...
And the Bucks are not the worst team in the NBA...:lol

Fabbs
01-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Without Duncan and Ginobili, we could lose this game... I agree with limited minutes but not for the whole game...
With Duncan and GNob, we lost to Orlando and Boston.
2-2 on the year for b2bs.
Recent history b2bs the Spurs have sucked.

So while yes limited minutes may be the compromise, when weighing the rest vs play in light of the entire season......is total rest a better option for some b2bs like tonight?

it's me
01-12-2011, 12:30 PM
I say sit their asses until the 4th…. If still winnable, put them in to close it up…. If out of reach or already lost, save them for the mavs game.

ElNono
01-12-2011, 12:39 PM
The Boston game was competitive, and I didn't think tired legs was a problem.

I think now that Dallas is hurting a bit, it would be a good time to try to keep gaining separation if possible. I'm sure Pop will pull the plug if he notices some of the guys are tired.

G-Nob
01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
As Che Guevara is my witness, I refuse to sit tonight!

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I think Pop is doing a good job in managing Ginoboli and Duncan's minutes. Now is the time for the Spurs to start building momentum, and barring injuries, theres no need to sit out Duncan or Ginoboli.

kaji157
01-12-2011, 01:21 PM
I think Pop is doing a good job in managing Ginoboli and Duncan's minutes. Now is the time for the Spurs to start building momentum, and barring injuries, theres no need to sit out Duncan or Ginoboli.

Right now, spurs have to win any winnable game they play.
Tonight is a winnable game, so the spurs have to approach it with a winning mentality.
As of now, pulling Ginobili alone, would be like loosing, as he has emerged clearly as the MVP of this team. If you add pulling duncan as well, i don't see any chance of winning.
I say we have to win this one, and if we lose to dallas, so be it, you win more by winning what you have to win than by winning those team you rarely play.
I think Spurs will be 2 for 2 against Dallas and Milwakee, too bad Milwakee got their game suspended yesterday, it would have been fairer.

Hoops Czar
01-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Bogut is not Jamison...

More like Bogut is not third string.

Warlord23
01-12-2011, 01:32 PM
I agree that TD/Manu suck on B2Bs, especially on the road. However, the Bucks are the worst offensive unit in the NBA this year and struggle mightily to put up points. If our outside shot is falling (Manu, Neal, Bonner, Hill) we could put them away without much difficulty.

If I were Pop, I'd play TD and Manu for the first half, using TD mainly for defense and rebounds and having Manu shoot jumpers rather than driving/dishing (which will lead to turnovers on a B2B).

See if our jumpers are falling. If they aren't, we likely won't win because the Bucks are a great defensive group and Bogut is a premier shot blocker this year - then sit Manu and TD for the rest of the game. If our jumpshots are on target, ride the hot hand(s) as long as possible and win it with some gritty 4th quarter D.

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Right now, spurs have to win any winnable game they play.
Tonight is a winnable game, so the spurs have to approach it with a winning mentality.
As of now, pulling Ginobili alone, would be like loosing, as he has emerged clearly as the MVP of this team. If you add pulling duncan as well, i don't see any chance of winning.
I say we have to win this one, and if we lose to dallas, so be it, you win more by winning what you have to win than by winning those team you rarely play.
I think Spurs will be 2 for 2 against Dallas and Milwakee, too bad Milwakee got their game suspended yesterday, it would have been fairer.

I know, thats my point too. Which is why Duncan and Ginoboli need to play.

Brazil
01-12-2011, 02:47 PM
I agree that TD/Manu suck on B2Bs, especially on the road. However, the Bucks are the worst offensive unit in the NBA this year and struggle mightily to put up points. If our outside shot is falling (Manu, Neal, Bonner, Hill) we could put them away without much difficulty.

If I were Pop, I'd play TD and Manu for the first half, using TD mainly for defense and rebounds and having Manu shoot jumpers rather than driving/dishing (which will lead to turnovers on a B2B).

See if our jumpers are falling. If they aren't, we likely won't win because the Bucks are a great defensive group and Bogut is a premier shot blocker this year - then sit Manu and TD for the rest of the game. If our jumpshots are on target, ride the hot hand(s) as long as possible and win it with some gritty 4th quarter D.

I don't see that, I'd prefer see manu and TD start but limiting their minutes and their O contribution, let TP run the show during 3 quarters and give the key to a "rested" Manu if we are close in the fourth

rayray2k8
01-12-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm not against sitting out either one of 2 or both since I kinda get the feeling that the spurs are gonna drop a game here anyway.
That way they'll be fresh for fridays game against the mavs. Would rather lose a game than to lose a divisional game.

Mugen
01-12-2011, 05:03 PM
The Boston game was competitive, and I didn't think tired legs was a problem.

I think now that Dallas is hurting a bit, it would be a good time to try to keep gaining separation if possible. I'm sure Pop will pull the plug if he notices some of the guys are tired.

that's because Pop wisely subbed his starters out for the last 3 minutes of the NY blowout and conserve valuable energy/B vitamins.

Fabbs
01-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Phew. Well we escaped after the Red Rocket won the game for us.

Dunks 33 minutes meh he was consistent but still outplayed by Bogut.

GNob 30 minutes and some clutch shots boards ans passes.

So we get the win and Dallas loses.
Nice!

DMC
01-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Back to back tonight. 4th one of the season.

The last two b2bs vs good teams (Orlando and Boston) we got hammered vs Orlando and then Ginobili went all Kobme on the final possession for the Boston loss. Worst of both worlds. They both log minutes and the Spurs lose. The Bucks might as well be a contending team when they play the Spurs.

The 1st two b2bs even tho we won, Duncan pretty much was a non factor and even sucked vs Cleveland. (OKc and Cleveland).

So, while I'm not saying "hey lets throw this game", i am saying IF Duncan and GNob are going to suck wind anyways, with the goal being a 5th legit Championship, should Poppycock allow them to rest and heal thus use the bench players more tonight?

uhh went all Kobme? Ginobili hit the last 20pts for the Spurs... he was destroying it from outside. He goes all Kobme a lot, because "He's Manu Ginobili". You have to take the good with the bad, Captain Hindsight.

Imagine Kerr misses that shot years ago with the Bulls, people would say "But MJ had to pass to some nobody on the wing instead of taking the shot". It's real life, it's happening and they do what they do, and we sit around and second guess it to death.

DMC
01-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Phew. Well we escaped after the Red Rocket won the game for us.

GNob 30 minutes and some clutch shots boards ans passes.

So we get the win and Dallas loses.
Nice!
What? Your about to retire was bested by one of the best young centers in the league? No way.

ElNono
01-12-2011, 11:36 PM
that's because Pop wisely subbed his starters out for the last 3 minutes of the NY blowout and conserve valuable energy/B vitamins.

You should have posted that in blue, tbh :lol

Mel_13
01-13-2011, 07:46 AM

In the first half. Bogut was held to 2 points and 4 boards in the second half. The Spurs lose this game if Duncan sits.

tmtcsc
01-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Do people really call them Dunks and Gnob ?

FromWayDowntown
01-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Do people really call them Dunks and Gnob ?

Only Fabbs, as far as I can tell.

Fabbs
01-26-2011, 04:13 AM
Duncans knee hyperflexed Mon night and the roadie road trip coming up with three b2bs. Tonight, altho not a b2b, what do you do with Duncan?

Back to Backs:
8-4 overall record, the wins against both scrubs and some semi upper teams.
Losses vs Orlando, Knicks (split), Boston, New Orleans.

Sat, Nov 13 Philadelphia W 116-93
Sun, Nov 14 @Oklahoma City W 117-104

Fri, Nov 19 @Utah W94-82
Sat, Nov 20 Cleveland W 116-92

Wed Dec 15th W @Milwaukee 92-90
Thu, Dec 16 W@Denver 113-112

Wed, Dec 22 W Denver W109-103
Thu, Dec 23 @Orlando L123-101

Tue, Jan 4 @NY Knicks L128-115
Wed, Jan 5 @Boston L105-103

Tue, Jan 11 @Minnesota W107-96
Wed, Jan 12 @Milwaukee W91-84