PDA

View Full Version : are the Lakers starting to roll ?

Martin R
01-12-2011, 11:59 AM
...I have been watching the last games they played and they have turned up the intensity, passing the ball, rebounding and hiting their jumpers with a better % than they did in Dec.

If you asked me, this is what I was expecting from them by this time of the season (mid-season).

does somebody else share these thoughts ?

Banzai
01-12-2011, 12:00 PM
They are playing better..but consider the teams they have been playing. Knicks are good..but there really isn't much to take away from that game..NY didn't show up..neither did Amare or Felton.

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 12:03 PM
No surprise that they struggled at the start of the season, nor at their playing really good right now. Barring injury, the Lakers are still defending champs and it won't be easy by any means to dethrone them.

boutons_deux
01-12-2011, 12:08 PM
wrong forum

Fabbs
01-12-2011, 12:11 PM
wrong forum
Exactly. Mods remove this stench from the Spurs side.
http://imgburst.com/up/Lakersdog.jpg

lefty
01-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Lakers & Chuck Person Adjusting Team Defense LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-20110111,0,2426063.story?track=rss): An embarrassing dip into history nudged the Lakers into action.

The franchise was fuming last month after thorny losses to Miami and Milwaukee, a two-game spell that became the first time since 1959 the Lakers lost consecutive home games by 16 or more points.

It was time for a change, a heightened attitude toward defense, after Milwaukee's Earl Boykins punctured them for 22 points Dec. 21 and the Miami Heat took turns pummeling them on Christmas Day.

The Lakers had won two championships under a defensive scheme installed by former assistant coach Kurt Rambis, but there was a growing need for more accountability among their perimeter defenders.

Coach Phil Jackson was bothered by the Lakers' defense this season, and assistant coach Chuck Person helped restructure and clarify a majority of the changes that were made.

The Lakers' perimeter defenders used to funnel players toward the middle of the key, where their big men would presumably step out and help stop the penetration. Now the Lakers are forcing opposing perimeter players toward the baseline and often keeping their big men closer to the basket.

Person was in charge of the Lakers' game plan Sunday against the New York Knicks, who scored 21 fewer points than they average and shot only 36% in the Lakers' 109-87 victory.

"Lately we've been paying more attention to details," Person said. "We've given some rules to our defense to hold guys more accountable for their defensive responsibility."

The Lakers used to welcome middle penetration. Now they abhor it.

"The basic principle is to make sure we keep the ball out of the middle of the floor," Person said. "We want to make sure we influence the ball down the sideline and then to the baseline. It's not a total departure from what we've done, but we just tweaked it a bit."

Despite solid recent results, Jackson said the defense was still not flawless.

"We're trying to break habits more than anything else," he said. "We've been playing a form of defense that has been pretty good for us the last four years, but I'm trying to make some adjustments and to break those habits takes some time."

Bruno
01-12-2011, 12:12 PM
It's because of Bynum. When he is healthy, he turns Lakers into a significantly better team.

lefty
01-12-2011, 12:18 PM
It's because of Bynum. When he is healthy, he turns Lakers into a significantly better team.
Let's hope he misses the rest of the season then :D

Fabbs
01-12-2011, 12:25 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/uqwdf.jpg

mazerrackham
01-12-2011, 12:30 PM
:lol

ElNono
01-12-2011, 12:35 PM
I thought their offense was mostly the culprit. They had a hard time putting up 90 points on the board. I think this is a stretch of the schedule that they needed to take advantage of, and except for the Memphis beatdown, they're doing it.

I thought it was a bitch move to be running up the score against the Cavs last night (they were up 30+ at halftime and Phil played the starters pretty much until it was a 50+ point game), but maybe that's what they need to get their confidence back on track.

We'll see where they're at when the schedule gets tough again.

it's me
01-12-2011, 12:40 PM

Fuck... :lmao I'm at work ....... and about to lose it because of this :lmao:lmao

Drachen
01-12-2011, 12:47 PM
I like how that article failed to mention the spurs beatdown which was part of a streak of 15+ point losses

21_Blessings
01-12-2011, 12:52 PM
84 points allowed last 5

And it's still preseason. We all saw how the Lakers flipped their defensive switch during the back to back. Gluck, Western Conference.

SpursRulez4eVeR
01-12-2011, 12:55 PM
oh no...
http://i40.tinypic.com/fu184y.jpg

tdunk21
01-12-2011, 12:57 PM
they just had an easier schedule...since dec 10 till now they have faced only 4 good teams in bulls, spurs, heat and knicks....why wouldnt they roll with such an easy schedule

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/schedule/_/name/lal/los-angeles-lakers

Mugen
01-12-2011, 01:00 PM
considering the East powerhouses they've played recently, i'd say they are definitely back.

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 01:07 PM

:lol Fabbs you need to post this pic. in the NBA forum. Too funny.

Fabbs
01-12-2011, 01:11 PM
:lol Fabbs you need to post this pic. in the NBA forum. Too funny.
I didn't make it.
Can't remember who did but yes, mega props to he/she for this.

GinobiliForTres
01-12-2011, 01:12 PM
They are playing better..but consider the teams they have been playing. Knicks are good..but there really isn't much to take away from that game..NY didn't show up..neither did Amare or Felton.

this.

Banzai
01-12-2011, 01:30 PM
this.

I like to be realistic.

ElNono
01-12-2011, 01:38 PM
84 points allowed last 5

Ridiculous cherry picking :lol

The only reason you get that 84 number is because the Cavs only scored 57.

You take out the last Cavs game and they've given up 94 in the previous 6, all of them at home except Phoenix and the only two teams over .500 during that stretch were NOH and NYK.

Scoring is what's been up. Lakers averaged about 100 points during those 6 (The Memphis loss being the low point with 83). That's somewhat expected when you're playing shitty teams though (Spurs did the same early in the season)

jjktkk
01-12-2011, 01:58 PM
I like to be realistic.

Legit Laker fan that actually knows basketball. :tu

xellos88330
01-12-2011, 02:02 PM

:lmao:lmao

I can just see a whole scene with Kobe in a Xerxes voice saying... I can make you the Champion of the NBA. I only ask, that you kneel.

tmtcsc
01-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Yes, definitely starting to Troll.

Rummpd
01-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Too damm fine a deep and talented team not to excel for an extended time sometime this year especially with the soft SOS they have faced so far; but time will tell if Kobe's knees and other issues help take them down and/or whether or not SAS, the Mavs or some other Western team will rise to the occassion and knock them off when it counts.

Nick Manning
01-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Too damm fine a deep and talented team not to excel for an extended time sometime this year especially with the soft SOS they have faced so far; but time will tell if Kobe's knees and other issues help take them down and/or whether or not SAS, the Mavs or some other Western team will rise to the occassion and knock them off when it counts.

lol talking SOS when the Spurs have played a home-heavy schedule so far this year

Rummpd
01-12-2011, 03:21 PM
lol talking SOS when the Spurs have played a home-heavy schedule so far this year

3 less road games than the Lakers who count a road game vs. the friggin Clippers in that total and 2 more than the Mavs and within 1-3 of most other top teams with 2 more road games this week. It all evens out and the Spurs are traditionally a good road team so who cares?

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-12-2011, 04:20 PM
wrong forum
Yeah, this thread is for the General NBA forum.

Nick Manning
01-12-2011, 05:23 PM
They're playing the pissiest teams in the NBA...the Knicks suck at defense, etc.

says the team that allowed 128 points in regulation to them:lmao:lmao:lmao

DJ Mbenga
01-12-2011, 05:28 PM
bleh. the highs and low of the regular season. their concern is health. if they have it its a done deal.