PDA

View Full Version : The Torture of PFC Bradley Manning

Nbadan
01-12-2011, 02:26 PM
While Julian Assange is on house arrest in a mansion, set for an extradition hearing for February 7th and 8th, Bradley Manning has been held in solitary confinement at the Marine detention center at Quantico, Virginia since July.

VotersForPeace Kevin Zeese explains the inhuman treatment.

cQjaF-3u_eI

He could have sold these leaks to Iran or China....but he didn't

DarrinS
01-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Fuck that little turd.

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 02:29 PM
LOL He DID sell them to Iran or China and EVERYONE ELSE.

TeyshaBlue
01-12-2011, 02:32 PM

lol...Wikileaks. Your one-stop-shopping experience for DOD documents.:lol

Nbadan
01-12-2011, 02:36 PM

So your pro-torture...

Winehole23
01-12-2011, 02:37 PM
LOL He DID sell them to Iran or China and EVERYONE ELSE.If true, treason charges would seem to be a no brainer. Is it true?

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 02:38 PM
So your pro-torture...

Nope. I'm antiNBADan bullshit that is obviously incorrect. Iran and China (and everyone else) have access to those documents now.

I also don't think your definition of torture is accurate.

TeyshaBlue
01-12-2011, 02:39 PM
If true, treason charges would seem to be a no brainer. Is it true?

I think the "sale" is reflected by the general availability of the material on Wikileaks.

The kid leaked it to Assange thereby leaking it to China, Iran and my Mom.

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 02:42 PM
If true, treason charges would seem to be a no brainer. Is it true?

I guess we'll find out after the court martial.

Nbadan
01-12-2011, 02:43 PM
What exactly has been leaked that hurt the National Security of the U.S. or put combat troops at risk?

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Hey if the kid felt strongly that he needed to expose what was going on then fine. But that means that you're willing to do the time for the crime you commit. There is some shitty stuff in the wiki leaks, but nothing worth so ground breaking it required him to do this crime. Not even close.

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 02:45 PM
What exactly has been leaked that hurt the National Security of the U.S. or put combat troops at risk?

That isn't for a PFC to decide. Thats how it works. If you're going to circumvent the system completely then you'd better be damn sure its worth it.

Winehole23
01-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Did wikileaks sell info to Iran and China?

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Did wikileaks sell info to Iran and China?

:sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep

Do China or Iran have access to the wikileaks information or not?

TeyshaBlue
01-12-2011, 02:46 PM
You know, that goal post does look better over there, dan. Nice move.:toast

Nbadan
01-12-2011, 02:47 PM
That isn't for a PFC to decide. Thats how it works. If you're going to circumvent the system completely then you'd better be damn sure its worth it.

If we are torturing the guy, then what is the reasoning? He leaked confidential material that has not hurt national security?

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 02:47 PM
If the line to cross is making money and not simply dissemination of the material then do you suggest all traitors are capitalists? :lol

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 02:48 PM
If we are torturing the guy, then what is the reasoning? He leaked confidential material that has not hurt national security?

Solitary confinement is not torture. Sorry. Leaking confidential material is as good a reason as any to put someone in solitary confinement.

Nbadan
01-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Solitary confinement is not torture. Sorry. Leaking confidential material is as good a reason as any to put someone in solitary confinement.

sleep deprivation is not torture?
not being given a blanket or pillow is not torture?
24-7 solitary confinement for months is not torture?
no physical exercise is not torture?

You got a weird way of looking at things Manny

ElNono
01-12-2011, 02:53 PM
He fucked up. He knew of the consequences. Now he's going to have to deal with them.
Hopefully those that failed at their jobs and enabled him to do it are also tried.

Nbadan
01-12-2011, 02:54 PM
He fucked up. He knew of the consequences. Now he's going to have to deal with them.
Hopefully those that failed at their jobs and enabled him to do it are also tried.

...what do you think were his motives? profit?

boutons_deux
01-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Solitary confinement, 23 hours/day, is torture, esp for months and months, accompanied by physical and mental deterioration.

The Euros are gonna fight the US demand the Wikileaks etc fishing expedition.

US doesn't have balls to go after big newspapers that published the stuff, so they bully a foreigner on trumped up charges.

ElNono
01-12-2011, 02:55 PM
...what do you think were his motives? profit?

I don't know, and frankly, it's irrelevant to the post you replied to.

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 02:56 PM

He's allowed to exercise. He's allowed to leave his cell for one hour each day. He can't exercise IN his cell.

LOL @ blankets and pillows being requirements for not being tortued. GMAFB.

The sleep deprivation isn't meant to keep him from sleeping. I'd assume he'll learn to sleep through it or else though shit. They don't actively prevent him from sleeping.

Here's a newsflash: Being in jail is not supposed to be enjoyable. Sucks for him.

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Solitary confinement, 23 hours/day, is torture, esp for months and months, accompanied by physical and mental deterioration.

The Euros are gonna fight the US demand the Wikileaks etc fishing expedition.

US doesn't have balls to go after big newspapers that published the stuff, so they bully a foreigner on trumped up charges.

Prison is a bitch. It changes your body and your mind. Tough shit. That doesn't mean its torture.

You think a 20 year old black guy who gets thrown in a maximum security prison for committing a crime isn't going to change mentally?

ElNono
01-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Solitary confinement might also have to do with preventing that other prisoner kills him.
It's not the first time that a high profile prisoner is kept separated from the crowd.

ElNono
01-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Tom Delay is probably asking for solitary confinement right now...

Nbadan
01-12-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't know, and frankly, it's irrelevant to the post you replied to.

Is it irrelevant when you look at the greater cause which were his motivations...namely, the US breaking laws against its own citizens and protecting it under national security? are you a patriot in a Jeffersonian sort of way or not?

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Solitary confinement might also have to do with preventing that other prisoner kills him.
It's not the first time that a high profile prisoner is kept separated from the crowd.

He also has had access to classified material and they're likely to want to keep that bottled up. Federal and Military employees with security clearances are not allowed to read classified material even if its already out.

boutons_deux
01-12-2011, 03:06 PM

Homeland Security
01-12-2011, 03:45 PM
So your pro-torture...
And you are pro-treason.

Do you stick up for the little faggot more because he is an enemy of America or because he shares your taste for cock?

Homeland Security
01-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Monty Python - The Spanish Inquisition

Chapman: Trouble at mill.
Carol Cleveland: Oh no - what kind of trouble?
Chapman: One on't cross beams gone owt askew on treddle.
Cleveland: Pardon?
Chapman: One on't cross beams gone owt askew on treddle.
Cleveland: I don't understand what you're saying.
Chapman: (slightly irritatedly and with exaggeratedly clear accent) One of the cross beams has gone out askew on the treddle.
Cleveland: Well what on earth does that mean?
Chapman: *I* don't know - Mr Wentworth just told me to come in here and say that there was trouble at the mill, that's all - I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

(JARRING CHORD)
(The door flies open and Cardinal Ximinez of Spain (Palin) enters, flanked by two junior cardinals. Cardinal Biggles (Jones) has goggles pushed over his forehead. Cardinal Fang (Gilliam) is just Cardinal Fang)

Ximinez: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is
suprise ... surprise and fear ... fear and surprise .... Our two weapons are fear and surprise ... and ruthless efficiency .... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency ... and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope. ... Our *four*...no ... *Amongst* our weapons .... Amongst our weaponry ... are such elements as fear, surprise .... I'll come in again.
(Exit and exeunt)
Chapman: I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

(JARRING CHORD)
(The cardinals burst in)

Ximinez: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn! (To Cardinal Biggles) I can't say it - you'll have to say it.
Biggles: What?
Ximinez: You'll have to say the bit about 'Our chief weapons are ...'
Biggles: (rather horrified): I couldn't do that ...
(Ximinez bundles the cardinals outside again)
Chapman: I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

(JARRING CHORD)
(The cardinals enter)

Biggles: Er .... Nobody ...um ....
Ximinez: Expects ...
Biggles: Expects ... Nobody expects the ... um ... the Spanish ... um ...
Ximinez: Inquisition.
Biggles: I know, I know! Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. In fact, those who do expect -
Ximinez: Our chief weapons are ...
Biggles: Our chief weapons are ... um ... er ...
Ximinez: Surprise ...
Biggles: Surprise and --
Ximinez: Okay, stop. Stop. Stop there - stop there. Stop. Phew! Ah! ...our chief weapons are surprise ... blah blah blah. Cardinal, read the charges.
Fang: You are hereby charged that you did on diverse dates commit heresy against the Holy Church. 'My old man said follow the--'
Biggles: That's enough. (To Cleveland) Now, how do you plead?
Cleveland: We're innocent.
Ximinez: Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
(Superimposed caption: 'DIABOLICAL LAUGHTER')
Biggles: We'll soon change your mind about that!
(Superimposed caption: 'DIABOLICAL ACTING')
Ximinez: Fear, surprise, and a most ruthless-- (controls himself with a supreme effort) Ooooh! Now, Cardinal -- the rack!
(Biggles produces a plastic-coated dish-drying rack. Ximinez looks at it and clenches his teeth in an effort not to lose control. He hums heavily to cover his anger)
Ximinez: You .... Right! Tie her down.
(Fang and Biggles make a pathetic attempt to tie her on to the drying rack)
Ximinez: Right! How do you plead?
Cleveland: Innocent.
Ximinez: Ha! Right! Cardinal, give the rack (oh dear) give the rack a turn.
(Biggles stands their awkwardly and shrugs his shoulders)
Biggles: I ....
Ximinez: (gritting his teeth) I *know*, I know you can't. I didn't want to say anything. I just wanted to try and ignore your crass mistake.
Biggles: I ...
Ximinez: It makes it all seem so stupid.
Biggles: Shall I ...?
Ximinez: No, just pretend for God's sake. Ha! Ha! Ha!
(Biggles turns an imaginary handle on the side of the dish-rack) (Cut to them torturing a dear old lady, Marjorie Wilde).
Ximinez: Now, old woman -- you are accused of heresy on three counts -- heresy by thought, heresy by word, heresy by deed, and heresy by action -- *four* counts. Do you confess?
Wilde: I don't understand what I'm accused of.
Ximinez: Ha! Then we'll make you understand! Biggles! Fetch ... THE CUSHIONS!

(JARRING CHORD)

(Biggles holds out two ordinary modern household cushions)
Biggles: Here they are, lord.
Ximinez: Now, old lady -- you have one last chance. Confess the heinous sin of heresy, reject the works of the ungodly -- *two* last chances. And you shall be free -- *three* last chances. You have three last chances, the nature of which I have divulged in my previous utterance.
Wilde: I don't know what you're talking about.
Ximinez: Right! If that's the way you want it -- Cardinal! Poke her with the soft cushions!
(Biggles carries out this rather pathetic torture)
Ximinez: Confess! Confess! Confess!
Biggles: It doesn't seem to be hurting her, lord.
Ximinez: Have you got all the stuffing up one end?
Biggles: Yes, lord.
Ximinez: (angrily hurling away the cushions) Hm! She is made of harder stuff! Cardinal Fang! Fetch ... THE COMFY CHAIR!

(JARRING CHORD)
(Zoom into Fang's horrified face)

Fang: (terrified) The ... Comfy Chair?
(Biggles pushes in a comfy chair -- a really plush one)
Ximinez: So you think you are strong because you can survive the soft cushions. Well, we shall see. Biggles! Put her in the Comfy Chair!
(They roughly push her into the Comfy Chair)
Ximinez: (with a cruel leer) Now -- you will stay in the Comfy Chair until lunch time, with only a cup of coffee at eleven. (aside, to Biggles) Is that really all it is?
Biggles: Yes, lord.
Ximinez: I see. I suppose we make it worse by shouting a lot, do we? Confess, woman. Confess! Confess! Confess! Confess!
Biggles: I confess!
Ximinez: Not you!

ElNono
01-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Is it irrelevant when you look at the greater cause which were his motivations...namely, the US breaking laws against its own citizens and protecting it under national security? are you a patriot in a Jeffersonian sort of way or not?

How do you know what his motives were? That's why I don't claim to know, because I don't know. And it's irrelevant as far as the repercussions of his actions.

He knew the consequences of leaking material he had access to. He's not a civilian and he knew what the military law would subject him to. That's the bottom line. Is this the price he has to pay for trying to be Robin Hood? Maybe it is. He knew what he was getting into when he started doing it.

LnGrrrR
01-12-2011, 04:39 PM
He also has had access to classified material and they're likely to want to keep that bottled up. Federal and Military employees with security clearances are not allowed to read classified material even if its already out.

Technically true (as we don't have a need to know), but I don't think the government can punish soldiers/airman/seaman/marines for reading wikileaks on their off-time. Interesting question, though.

(We've already been warned that looking at it from a gov computer is essentially a classified incident. The NYTimes are blocked from AF PC's for that reason.)

z0sa
01-12-2011, 04:43 PM

:rollin:rollin

not only inaccurate, and asking to prove a series of negatives, it's plain laughably stupid.

Poor soul doesn't have a pillow for his traitorous head. :(

Winehole23
01-12-2011, 04:57 PM
not only inaccurate....According to some reports, what Dan is saying is accurate. (FWIW, I don't think it amounts to torture)

From the beginning of his detention, Manning has been held in intensive solitary confinement. For 23 out of 24 hours every day -- for seven straight months and counting -- he sits completely alone in his cell. Even inside his cell, his activities are heavily restricted; he's barred even from exercising and is under constant surveillance to enforce those restrictions. For reasons that appear completely punitive, he's being denied many of the most basic attributes of civilized imprisonment, including even a pillow or sheets for his bed (he is not and never has been on suicide watch). For the one hour per day when he is freed from this isolation, he is barred from accessing any news or current events programs. http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/12/14/manning

LnGrrrR
01-12-2011, 05:08 PM
The punitive restrictions do seem a bit.. unnecessary? Not that I have any sympathy for the guy, but I just don't see the point in it. To break him down mentally? What's the use in that?

It's certainly not to the level of "torture", but it does strike me as arbitrary.

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Technically true (as we don't have a need to know), but I don't think the government can punish soldiers/airman/seaman/marines for reading wikileaks on their off-time. Interesting question, though.

(We've already been warned that looking at it from a gov computer is essentially a classified incident. The NYTimes are blocked from AF PC's for that reason.)

They sure as hell can if they find out. Are you allowed to open a document that has a clearance you're not allowed to view? I know for a fact that many federal employees I know with clearance have been told not to view those documents or face consequences if they find out.

Winehole23
01-12-2011, 05:19 PM
The punitive restrictions do seem a bit.. unnecessary? Not that I have any sympathy for the guy, but I just don't see the point in it. To break him down mentally? What's the use in that?

It's certainly not to the level of "torture", but it does strike me as arbitrary.Greenwald suggests Manning is being squeezed to get his cooperation against Assange. I tend to think the treatment of Manning is more exemplary than contrived, but the two motives appear to dovetail.

boutons_deux
01-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Is he charged?

Is he violent?

Is he non-cooperative?

Is he convicted?

Why not just label him a non-combattant, and shoot him, or send to Gitmo forever, no trial, no nothing?

Isolation is punishment/torture without trial and conviction

America is a depraved country.

Trainwreck2100
01-12-2011, 05:23 PM
lol if this was iran or china he'd be dog food by now

z0sa
01-12-2011, 05:28 PM
According to some reports, what Dan is saying is accurate. (FWIW, I don't think it amounts to torture)

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/12/14/manning

It's military detention. Not a civilian jail cell, one. So describing certain hardships expected of a soldier suspected of being a high-level traitor as torture is already an inaccuracy.

Second, there's no report of sleep deprivation. Additionally, he's being given anti-depressants.

Winehole23
01-12-2011, 05:31 PM
So describing certain hardships expected of a soldier suspected of being a high-level traitor as torture is already an inaccuracy.I was unaware that Manning is officially suspected of treason. Can you substantiate that, or is that just your private opinion?

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 05:33 PM
You're playing a weak semantics game, WH. He may not be charged with treason at this time, but what he did is very treasonous in the eyes of most Americans.

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 05:36 PM
WH, what you're doing is the equivalent of saying a murder who is only charged with manslaughter is somehow not a murder. In the legal sense you might be correct but thats about it.

Trainwreck2100
01-12-2011, 05:37 PM
What's so hard to understand When you join the military and sign your rights away, you sign your rights away

z0sa
01-12-2011, 05:38 PM
From that Salon article:

"Bradley Manning, the 22-year-old U.S. Army Private accused of ..."

Additionally, wikipedia:

Bradley E. Manning (born December 17, 1987) is a United States Army soldier who was charged in July 2010 with the unauthorized disclosure of U.S. classified information. He is being held in solitary confinement at the Marine Corps Brig, Quantico, Virginia, and is expected to face a court-martial in the spring of 2011.[2]

He is undoubtedly suspected of treason and will be brought to a trial over it. The real question here is: have they detained him without plausible evidence? Not whether he's been tortured - he hasn't.

Winehole23
01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Disclosure of classified information does not equal treason, and Manning is not guilty of treason just because a majority of Americans think it so.

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 05:43 PM
I honestly don't know why he's been charged with unauthorized disclosure as opposed to treason but my first instinct is because the burden of proof for treason might involve active participation against the US government which would obviously be harder to prove than just emailing the documents to a media outlet such as wikileaks.

While there is obviously a difference there, the practical outcome is the same as selling those documents to a hostile government outright.

ElNono
01-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Disclosure of classified information does not equal treason, and Manning is not guilty of treason just because a majority of Americans think it so.

I agree. That said, I don't see any reports that his current detention violates any military code. The actions might be arbitrary or not. I don't know. But so far I haven't heard that any of those actions are actually unlawful.

MannyIsGod
01-12-2011, 05:45 PM

The end result is the same. You are correct in so far as legal terms are concerned, but as far as my feelings go this man gave classified information to every hostile group our country faces. That may not be treason as defined by the UCMJ but I can't imagine very many who do not view it as a betrayal to our country by one of its own hence treason.

Winehole23
I agree. That said, I don't see any reports that his current detention violates any military code. The actions might be arbitrary or not. I don't know. But so far I haven't heard that any of those actions are actually unlawful.^^^agreed

z0sa
I haven't yet formed an opinion concerning his innocence for lack of any real basic knowledge concerning his part, WH. It's all hearsay at this point. We may never know the full extent, but does that mean he hasn't been charged legally or is being criminally detained, and dare I say "tortured"?

z0sa
01-12-2011, 05:47 PM
BTW, my "other" opinion a bit obvious: I'm more than convinced he played a large part. the circumstances and how they'd have allowed him to play such a part are essentially set in stone. Assange denying knowledge of his involvement means little. While I can't be sure and can't speak for much, I do lean towards his involvement. Yet I can't form something more than ignorant without such facts. So I suppose I choose to be ignorant at this point ;)

Winehole23
01-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Manning's detention seems more than warranted to me, the conditions of his detention, I really wouldn't be able to say.

z0sa
01-12-2011, 05:51 PM
I don't feel sorry for him. I'm assuming that very early on, they let him know his mouth was in control of his destiny. He's obviously refused to talk.

LnGrrrR
01-12-2011, 08:38 PM
They sure as hell can if they find out. Are you allowed to open a document that has a clearance you're not allowed to view? I know for a fact that many federal employees I know with clearance have been told not to view those documents or face consequences if they find out.

Sorry, I misspoke. I should've said, I don't think they would/could bother to find out. If a soldier was dumb enough to say "Hey I opened up and read the wikilinks" in front of someone at work, then yeah, they might be charged. But if a gov't employee goes home and reads them, the gov't will probably never find out without explicit self-outing.

LnGrrrR
01-12-2011, 08:48 PM
I honestly don't know why he's been charged with unauthorized disclosure as opposed to treason but my first instinct is because the burden of proof for treason might involve active participation against the US government which would obviously be harder to prove than just emailing the documents to a media outlet such as wikileaks.

While there is obviously a difference there, the practical outcome is the same as selling those documents to a hostile government outright.

The burden of treason is, AFAIK, very specific. It requires an overt act intended to aid an enemy, and requires two witnesses to said act.

From wikipedia...

Section 3 defines treason (http://spurstalk.com/wiki/Treason) and its punishment.

Section 3. Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court. The Congress shall have power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder (http://spurstalk.com/wiki/Attainder) of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

LnGrrrR
01-12-2011, 08:57 PM
The end result is the same. You are correct in so far as legal terms are concerned, but as far as my feelings go this man gave classified information to every hostile group our country faces. That may not be treason as defined by the UCMJ but I can't imagine very many who do not view it as a betrayal to our country by one of its own hence treason.

It cetainly can be considered treason in the "everyday usage" sense of the word, but legally, he hasn't been charged with treason (and won't.)

The burden of proof for treason is quite high, due to the ramifications of someone found guilty of treason.

Wild Cobra
01-13-2011, 12:17 PM

Wow...

You believe those lies? Just when i thought you already his bottom, you show me your shit is even deeper!

Wild Cobra
01-13-2011, 12:18 PM
In time of war, it can indeed be classed as treason if the information had tactical significance.

Nbadan
01-13-2011, 07:54 PM
In time of war, it can indeed be classed as treason if the information had tactical significance.

What specific tactical significance have the Wikileaks had?

Nbadan
01-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Manning's detention seems more than warranted to me, the conditions of his detention, I really wouldn't be able to say.

I think we have to ask what is being accomplished by mistreating Manning?

..the slippery slope...this is behavior we would expect from a third world country

Nbadan
01-26-2011, 08:23 PM
The Marines admit they made a mistake without actually admitting they made a mistake....

One week ago, David Coombs, the main lawyer for accused WikiLeaks document leaker Bradley Manning, filed a complaint with military officials against Quantico Base Commander James Averhart.

Coombs accused Averhart of abusing his "discretion" by arbitrarily choosing harsh - some have said tortuous - confinement conditions for Manning, who is housed in the Quantico brig.

On Wednesday, the Marines replaced Averhart as Quantico's commander with Chief Warrant Officer Denise Barnes, CNN reports.

A base spokesman claims the complaint and Averhart's removal are not related, and that the decision to replace Averhart was made back in October, CNN reports.

Coombs said earlier that Averhart, against the recommendations of two psychiatrists, chose to place Manning under suicide watch last week, which allows guards to force Manning to "remain in his cell for 24 hours a day," be "stripped of all clothing with the exception of his underwear," and have "his prescription eyeglasses taken away."

CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20029688-503543.html)

Winehole23
01-31-2011, 12:49 PM
This week, the new brig commander, Chief Warrant Officer 2 Denise Barnes, will decide whether the punitive psychiatric evaluation of Manning ordered by the previous brig commander, James Averhart, will continue or not. Manning is being held in “special quarters” as a result of this status. Manning’s attorney, Iraq veteran Lt. Col David Coomb, cited SECNAVINST 1640.9C in recent statement on Manning’s status (http://www.armycourtmartialdefense.info/2011/01/pfc-bradley-manning-is-not-being.html). It reads: “Special quarters are not a punitive measure and shall not be used as such. Prisoners must be made aware of the reason they are berthed in special quarters.”

Neither Manning nor Coombs has received an explanation as to why Manning is being held in Special Quarters. In his press conference last week, Department of Defense spokesman Geoff Morrill indicated it was due to the threat Manning posed to national security. However, according to people familiar with military law, placing Manning in MAX custody solely under the basis of the charge would be a violation of Article 13. They indicate Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces has stated that a confinement facility must point to more than just the nature of the allegation.

Punitive psychiatry for political ends was systematic in the Soviet Union from the 1960s to the 1980s, according to the British Medial Association (http://books.google.com/books?id=bMTu_oIfVsIC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false).

“In a monolith state, psychiatry can be used to bypass normal legal procedures for assessing guilt or innocence and allow political imprisonment without the usual odium attached to such political trials.”

Brig Commander Averhart’s decision to hold Manning under Protection of Injury Watch and MAX custody was made against the advice of three brig psychiatrists (http://www.armycourtmartialdefense.info/2011/01/pfc-bradley-manning-is-not-being.html), who have recommended that Manning be moved to Medium Detention In (MDI) and without POI watch restrictions. Contrary to the assertion of Department of Defense Spokesman Geoff Morrell (http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2011/01/27/dod-press-office-scrambling/), Manning is the only detainee at the Quantico Brig being held under POI watch/MAX custody.

On January 9 2011 Manning’s lawyer, Iraq veteran Lt. Col. David Coombs filed a demand for a speedy trial with the Government (http://www.armycourtmartialdefense.info/2011/01/speedy-trial-update.html). Since July 12 2010, according to Coombs, the case has been on Government-requested executable delay which was approved by the court-martial convening authority. Coombs indicates that “the case is currently awaiting the start of a Rule for Courts-Martial (R.C.M) 706 Board. This board will likely begin its work in February.”

Manning has now been in pretrial confinement since May 29, 2010.
http://fdlaction.firedoglake.com/2011/01/31/bradley-manning-punitive-psychiatric-status-remains-but-hopeful-about-youth-uprising-in-tunisia-and-egypt/

The Reckoning
01-31-2011, 12:59 PM
the fact is manning sold his soul to the military when he signed that initial contract.

his soul is theirs. although i dont understand why the Marines (of all people) are holding him. his ass belongs to the Army.

boutons_deux
01-31-2011, 01:07 PM
America is such a pussy, a wimp, the typical bully scared of it own shadow. It's the strength we get for $1.5T "spent" (yes, that nasty word) on maintaining a vampire-squid face-hug on the planet.

The Reckoning
01-31-2011, 01:10 PM
America is such a pussy, a wimp, the typical bully scared of it own shadow. It's the strength we get for $1.5T "spent" (yes, that nasty word) on maintaining a vampire-squid face-hug on the planet.

youre like that one guy in the bar alone in the corner...drunk and talking to himself about how much he hates everyone for his own fuckups

:toast

Winehole23
01-31-2011, 01:38 PM
the fact is manning sold his soul to the military when he signed that initial contract.Sure, but the miltary isn't a rule-free environment. There are still consequences for abusing the rules. Just ask the former brig commander at Quantico.

The Reckoning
01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
im sure the former brig commander would still be the brig commander if it wasnt for manning's attorney threatening to take legal action.

the military has no qualms for it's own personnel who sell it out.

boutons_deux
01-31-2011, 01:56 PM
youre like that one guy in the bar alone in the corner...drunk and talking to himself about how much he hates everyone for his own fuckups

MY fuckups? Did I fuckup by wasting $1.5T/year on the UCA empire?

Your Perfect Country, Always Right and Never Wrong?

The UCA Apocalypse won't be like the Bible-thumping hucksters say. It will be entirely to the UCA's self-destruction.

Winehole23
01-31-2011, 02:15 PM
im sure the former brig commander would still be the brig commander if it wasnt for manning's attorney threatening to take legal action.Infinitely justified, but couldn't brave the legal or political consequences for mistreating Manning.

the military has no qualms for it's own personnel who sell it out.No qualms either about selling out commanders who do their duty, if that duty becomes politically embarrassing. Every part of the goddam stick is shitty.

boutons_deux
01-31-2011, 02:44 PM
the military and its civilian leaders have no problem isolating the problems as "bad apples" when the entire chain of command was guilty. abu Ghraib is the classic example.

What kind of fucked IT security would give a grunt like Manning access to so much information?

Have any military IT people or very probably private contractor IT people been even mentioned in this huge security fiasco, let alone punished?

And going after ONLY Manning and Assange as criminals while doing nothing about the big name newspapers in several countries that cooperated with Assange is ridiculous

z0sa
01-31-2011, 04:16 PM
i'm butthurt

boutons_deux
01-31-2011, 05:02 PM
the butts around here that hurt don't count mine among them.

Winehole23
02-05-2011, 05:27 AM
How would you know? You must not listen to the butts around here very much. :lol:toast

Nbadan
12-20-2011, 02:33 AM
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/science/manning_615.jpg

The Case Against Alleged WikiLeaks Supplier Bradley Manning Takes a Strange Turn
DEC 19 2011, 2:44 PM ET

--

If the cables found on Manning's computer don't match the ones WikiLeaks has, the defense can argue that Julian Assange's outfit may have had a different source for the documents. Wired's Kim Zetter was in the courtroom and filed a report on this dramatic moment, which could become a lynchpin of the defense's case.

Special Agent David Shaver, a forensic investigator with the Army's Computer Crimes Investigations Unit, testified Sunday that he'd found 10,000 U.S. diplomatic cables in HTML format on the soldier's classified work computer, as well as a corrupted text file containing more than 100,000 complete cables...

But Shaver said none of the documents that he found on Manning's computer matched those that WikiLeaks published.

Shaver wasn't asked how many cables he compared to the WikiLeaks cables. In re-direct examination, however, he noted that the CSV file in which the cables were contained was corrupted and suggested this might indicate that it had not been possible to pass those cables to WikiLeaks for this reason. The defense objected to this assumption, however, noting that Shaver could not speculate on why the cables were not among those released by WikiLeaks.

--

full- http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/12/the-case-against-alleged-wikileaks-supplier-bradley-manning-takes-a-strange-turn/250216/

Nbadan
12-20-2011, 02:41 AM
Truth is the first casualty of war..

dAYG7yJpBbQ#!

TDMVPDPOY
12-20-2011, 02:56 AM
the question is, htf did a scrub like him got access to such information?

Winehole23
12-20-2011, 04:12 AM
lax security plus abuse of trust leads to major embarrassments

Wild Cobra
12-20-2011, 04:22 AM
lax security plus abuse of trust leads to major embarrassments
Not necessarily.

He has some pretty high clearance access, and thumb-drives are small. I don't see any of this boding well for him. Personally, I think a guilty verdict will come about, and I think he should be executed for treason.

Winehole23
12-20-2011, 04:33 AM
from you I would expect nothing less. you've fulfilled my expectations again, WC. :tu

Wild Cobra
12-20-2011, 04:35 AM
from you I would expect nothing less. you've fulfilled my expectations again, WC. :tu
Even if he only had the classified material, and as the article suggests, someone else was the leak... he deserves a long jail sentence.

Winehole23
12-20-2011, 04:41 AM
he deserved death a second ago. you gettin squishy?

Wild Cobra
12-20-2011, 04:45 AM
he deserved death a second ago. you gettin squishy?
Death if he was the actual leak. The article not to many posts back suggest they might not be able to make the case he was the source of information to wikileaks. Or did i read it wrong?

Winehole23
12-20-2011, 04:52 AM
um, Manning is the alleged source. the specifications could fail, like you suggest, but in this case I tend to doubt it.

Wild Cobra
12-20-2011, 05:17 AM
um, Manning is the alleged source. the specifications could fail, like you suggest, but in this case I tend to doubt it.
I doubt it too. Still, he betrayed this nation. The extent is what the court marshal will determine.

Winehole23
12-20-2011, 05:19 AM
he's not up for treason, boss. at least not yet.

Wild Cobra
12-20-2011, 05:30 AM
he's not up for treason, boss. at least not yet.
Yes, I understand that. I was expressing my opinion.

Winehole23
12-20-2011, 05:58 AM
you seldom fail to. that's a relative virtue.

boutons_deux
12-20-2011, 06:28 AM
"He has some pretty high clearance access,"

the access was badly designed, seemed like that if you had his access, you had access to everything rather than just your specific operations area and data.

Did any (contractor? Colonel hackjob?) get screwed for such a bad system design?

boutons_deux
12-20-2011, 06:30 AM
"betrayed his nation"

his data was a much greater "force for good" (as Yoni calls USA) than the official US govt, the govt that invaded and destroyed Iraq "for good" of the US/UK oilcos.

Winehole23
11-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Solitary confinement is not torture. Sorry. Leaking confidential material is as good a reason as any to put someone in solitary confinement.the UN special rapporteur disagrees:

The UN special rapporteur on torture has formally accused the US government of cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment towards Bradley Manning (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/bradley-manning), the US soldier who was held in solitary confinement for almost a year on suspicion of being the WikiLeaks source.

Juan Mendez has completed a 14-month investigation into the treatment of Manning since the soldier's arrest at a US military (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/us-military) base in May 2010. He concludes that the US military was at least culpable of cruel and inhumane treatment in keeping Manning locked up alone for 23 hours a day over an 11-month period in conditions that he also found might have constituted torture.

"The special rapporteur concludes that imposing seriously punitive conditions of detention on someone who has not been found guilty of any crime is a violation of his right to physical and psychological integrity as well as of his presumption of innocence," Mendez writes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/12/bradley-manning-cruel-inhuman-treatment-un?fb=optOut

Winehole23
11-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Mendez told the Guardian that he could not reach a definitive conclusion on whether Manning had been tortured because he has consistently been denied permission by the US military to interview the prisoner under acceptable circumstances.

Nbadan
11-29-2012, 08:44 PM
the UN special rapporteur disagrees:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/12/bradley-manning-cruel-inhuman-treatment-un?fb=optOut

Of course Its torture and anyone who disagrees deserves Manning style 'solitary confinement"'

Nbadan
11-29-2012, 08:51 PM
"Manning was awoken at 0500 hours and required to remain awake in his cell from 0500 to 2200 hours," Coombs claims in the motion, adding that he "was not permitted to lie down on his rack during the duty day. Nor was Manning permitted to lean his back against the cell wall; he had to sit upright on his rack without any back support".

The motion further states that Manning was only allowed 20 minutes of "sunshine call" a day. In addition, he was permitted by guards to take no more than five minutes in the shower. On the rare occasions that he was allowed out of his cell, Manning was forced to wear shackles with metal hand and leg restraints. At least two guards accompanied him at all times.

Manning was handed a pair of running shoes without laces for his trips outside, but they would fall off when he attempted to walk. As a result he "elected to wear boots instead", the document alleges.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/10/bradley-manning-military-code-lawyer

Nbadan
11-29-2012, 09:09 PM
What kinda country have we become when a guy who exposes US war crimes get a harsher treatment than a guy who committed war crimes?

By stark contrast, Staff Sgt. Robert Bales — the prime suspect in the slaughter of 16 Afghan civilians — is already at Fort Leavenworth and is receiving this treatment:

Bales arrived at Fort Leavenworth last Friday and is being held in an isolated cell. He is “already being integrated into the normal pretrial confinement routine,” prison spokeswoman Rebecca Steed said.

An ABC News article back when Manning was transferred to Fort Leavenworth included these details:

The 150 inmates at the facility — including eight who are awaiting trial — are allowed three hours of recreation a day, she said, and three meals a day in a dining area.

That likely means that there will be some substantial interaction between Bales and Manning. Think about that: if you expose to the world previously unknown evidence of widespread wanton killing of civilians (as Manning allegedly did), then you will end up in the same place as someone who actually engages in the mass wanton killing of civilians (as Bales allegedly did), except that the one who committed atrocities will receive better treatment than the one who exposed them. That’s a nice reflection of our government’s value system (similar to the way that high government officials who commit egregious crimes are immunized, while those who expose them are aggressively prosecuted). If the chat logs are to be believed, Manning decided to leak those documents because they revealed heinous war crimes that he could no longer in good conscience allow to be concealed, and he will now find himself next to a soldier who is accused of committing heinous war crimes.

http://www.salon.com/2012/03/20/ironies_in_american_justice_and_political_cheerlea ding/singleton/

Nbadan
11-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Ray McGovern introduces a short documentary deconstructing events revealed by Wikileaks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aOIPGRUL1CU

boutons_deux
11-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Those dickless military, "just following orders", torturing Manning would turn on the gas in the showers.

Wild Cobra
11-30-2012, 03:32 AM
Ray McGovern introduces a short documentary deconstructing events revealed by Wikileaks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aOIPGRUL1CU
What a bullshit program, starting off where they did. Don't you remember the video from the beginning that we discussed some time back?

Nbadan
12-05-2012, 12:39 AM
Bradley Manning: a tale of liberty lost in America
Glenn Greenwald - TheNation
December 02, 2012

http://www.nation.com.pk/print_images/480/2012-12-01/bradley-manning-a-tale-of-liberty-lost-in-america-1354388125-5473.jpg

<snip>

Over the past two and a half years, all of which he has spent in a military prison, much has been said about Bradley MBradley Manning: a tale of liberty lost in America. Manning, but nothing has been heard from him. That changed on Thursday, when the 23-year-old US army private accused of leaking classified documents to WikiLeaks testified at his court martial proceeding about the conditions of his detention.

The oppressive, borderline-torturous measures to which he was subjected, including prolonged solitary confinement and forced nudity, have been known for some time. A formal UN investigation denounced those conditions as “cruel and inhuman”. President Obama’s state department spokesman, retired air force colonel PJ Crowley, resigned after publicly condemning Manning’s treatment. A prison psychologist testified this week that Manning’s conditions were more damaging than those found on death row, or at Guantánamo Bay.

Still, hearing the accused whistleblower’s description of this abuse in his own words viscerally conveyed its horror. Reporting from the hearing, the Guardian’s Ed Pilkington quoted Manning: “If I needed toilet paper I would stand to attention and shout: ‘Detainee Manning requests toilet paper!’” And: “I was authorised to have 20 minutes sunshine, in chains, every 24 hours.” Early in his detention, Manning recalled, “I had pretty much given up. I thought I was going to die in this eight by eight animal cage.”

The repressive treatment of Bradley Manning is one of the disgraces of Obama’s first term and highlights many of the dynamics shaping his presidency. The president not only defended Manning’s treatment but also, as commander-in-chief of the court martial judges, improperly decreed Manning’s guilt when he asserted in an interview that he “broke the law”.

Worse, Manning is charged not only with disclosing classified information, but also the capital offence of “aiding the enemy”, for which the death penalty can be imposed (military prosecutors are requesting “only” life in prison). The government’s radical theory is that, although Manning had no intent to do so, the leaked information could have helped al-Qaeda, a theory that essentially equates any disclosure of classified information - by any whistleblower, or a newspaper - with treason.

Whatever one thinks of Manning’s alleged acts...

<snip>

More: http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/international/02-Dec-2012/bradley-manning-a-tale-of-liberty-lost-in-america

Winehole23
02-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Born
Bradley Edward Manning
December 17, 1987 (age 28)
Crescent (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescent,_Oklahoma), Oklahoma (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma), U.S.

Nationality
American

Occupation
Soldier

Known for
Classified document disclosures to Wikileaks (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikileaks)

Criminal charge
Violating the Espionage Act (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espionage_Act_of_1917), stealing government property, violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Fraud_and_Abuse_Act), multiple counts of disobeying orders[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Manning#cite_note-verdict-1)

Criminal penalty
35 years in prison (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_military_prison), reduction in rank to private (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_%28rank%29) (private E-1 or PVT) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_enlisted_rank_insignia), forfeiture of all pay and allowances (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_pay), dishonorable discharge (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishonorable_discharge)[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Manning#cite_note-Tate21Aug2013-2)

boutons_deux
02-08-2016, 11:11 AM
"forfeiture of all pay and allowances (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_pay), dishonorable discharge (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishonorable_discharge)"

Petraeus gave classifed into to his fuck buddy, didn't lose a star or a penny of compensation. As with civilians, laws, regs are applied differently in the military for top brass, field officers and the grunts.