View Full Version : Spurs have absolutely no chance at winning the NBA Title

etbluffer
01-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Well, according to this at least
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/302474

Sports Illustrated poll: Spurs have 1% chance to win NBA title

By Lynn Herrmann.

+http://www.digitaljournal.com/images/image.gif
Even with the best record in the NBA at 32-6, the San Antonio Spurs are not seen by their peers as having a legitimate shot at the title, according to the 157 players who responded to a Sports Illustrated poll conducted during the month of December.

The SI poll (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1180673/index.htm#top) did, however, give the Los Angeles Lakers a big thumbs up, evidently satisfied that the reigning champs can overcome recent turmoil and injuries to add another title by post-season’s end, with 69 percent of those polled giving the west coast team the nod.
Coming in a distant second to the Lakers were the Boston Celtics, with 22 percent of the vote. They were followed by the Miami Heat, currently atop the Eastern Conference with a 30-9 record and a nine-game win streak, and the Orlando Magic, favored by 2 percent of the respondents.
The Spurs (http://www.socialunderstanding.net/nba%E2%80%99s-spurs-handle-timberwolves-in-minnesota-107-96.html), off to their best start in franchise history (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/562741-san-antonio-spurs-secrets-to-holding-the-nbas-best-record-after-30-games), have been playing great ball, far better than even they anticipated, but naysayers in the league and in the league’s fan base say the Spurs are too old.
Despite that seemingly age-old adage about the team, they remain that, a team. Led by the epitome of leadership, Tim Duncan, the team knows there is no room for chest-thumping egos, only a patient attitude that has led the team to the title (http://www.getlisty.com/preview/most-nba-titles-by-team/) on four occasions since 1999.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/302474#ixzz1Ar4IgpKc

tdunk21
01-12-2011, 03:30 PM
good to be under the radar...i like this

Nick Manning
01-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Nothing we don't already know. I don't need a woman to tell me that

Fpoonsie
01-12-2011, 03:32 PM
I honestly don't care, but I do find it hilarious that this writer still alludes to "old age" as a reason the Spurs won't contend, and yet when did the youth movement start in BOS and LA?

mathbzh
01-12-2011, 03:33 PM
I like how a poll can give you your chance to win NBA title.

tuncaboylu
01-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Cool story bro.

LoneStarState'sPride
01-12-2011, 03:56 PM
And this proves?.............

Nick Manning
01-12-2011, 03:58 PM
If the writer said the Spurs had a 99% chance of winning the title you'd all be tonguing her box.

lefty
01-12-2011, 04:16 PM
If the writer said the Spurs had a 99% chance of winning the title you'd all be tonguing her box.
True :lol

tp2021
01-12-2011, 04:16 PM
I'll tongue a Lakergirl's box if shes hot. I won't tongue a Spurgirl's box if she's ugly. It has nothing to do with which team she likes tbh.

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-12-2011, 04:19 PM
So if a bunch of random people vote they can't win it all, then that means they can't? Fucking stupid article.

portnoy1
01-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Spurs cant win it all with their style of play. Suns, Magic tried it and failed. The bad boy pistons were (imo) the only ones that were guard dominated offensively and won a few titles. They however had tough big men and tough defense. Laimbeer, Rodman, Mahorn, Edwards and Salley. Besides Duncan and (Dice?) I really dont see anyone thats going to add to being a strong defensive team.

Its cool to run and gun, shoot 3's(Manu), break opposing players ankles (Tp), but that doesnt work in the conference finals and nba finals. Remember Kobe after shaq, before Gasol 05-07. Yeah he scored 40 and 50 and was basically unstoppable but he was first round fodder. You have to play D and have a low post presence (and use him). You see what happens when kobe takes 25 shots and Pau doesnt get touches.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-12-2011, 04:50 PM
The Spurs lack a strong frontcourt to win the title. Outside of Duncan, there are solid bench front court players.

Plus I don't know that Duncan is going to magically post 20/15 consistently in the playoffs after his usage rate being so low during the regular season. The defense is also way too far behind.

But let's see what happens, long time till April. And the championship hopes are a lot better than 1% but I wouldn't place the team in top 2 favorites or anything.

Dice
01-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Spurs cant win it all with their style of play. Suns, Magic tried it and failed. The bad boy pistons were (imo) the only ones that were guard dominated offensively and won a few titles. They however had tough big men and tough defense. Laimbeer, Rodman, Mahorn, Edwards and Salley. Besides Duncan and (Dice?) I really dont see anyone thats going to add to being a strong defensive team.

Its cool to run and gun, shoot 3's(Manu), break opposing players ankles (Tp), but that doesnt work in the conference finals and nba finals. Remember Kobe after shaq, before Gasol 05-07. Yeah he scored 40 and 50 and was basically unstoppable but he was first round fodder. You have to play D and have a low post presence (and use him). You see what happens when kobe takes 25 shots and Pau doesnt get touches.

I remember the Bulls in the late 90's locking down the frontcourt with Luc Longley and Bill Wennington. You didn't challenge those guys at the rim.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-12-2011, 04:57 PM
I remember the Bulls in the late 90's locking down the frontcourt with Luc Longley and Bill Wennington. You didn't challenge those guys at the rim.

No, they did it with Dennis Rodman, he was their best post defender.

Plus having Jordan and Pippen on the wings made it hard enough to get to the rim as it was.

portnoy1
01-12-2011, 04:59 PM

Plus having Jordan and Pippen on the wings made it hard enough to get to the rim as it was.
This

K-State Spur
01-12-2011, 05:00 PM
The Spurs lack a strong frontcourt to win the title.

Everybody lacks something this year.

For the first couple of months of the season - I was firmly just hoping for a fun year but didn't see the team as a legit contender unless they caught some huge breaks along the way.

Now, I tend to think "why not?" Every contender has flaws, none less so than the Spurs right now.

K-State Spur
01-12-2011, 05:02 PM

By the time they won it '98, Rodman was a shell of himself. That was quietly MJ's most impressive title - he carried a bunch of stiffs and a hobbled Pippen to a title that they really had no business winning (although you'd never here that from the media because they already had 5 under the belt).

portnoy1
01-12-2011, 05:04 PM

For the first couple of months of the season - I was firmly just hoping for a fun year but didn't see the team as a legit contender unless they caught some huge breaks along the way.

Now, I tend to think "why not?" Every contender has flaws, none less so than the Spurs right now.Having a flawed defense is ALWAYS UNACCEPATABLE if your serious trying to win a title. Thats why.

tuncaboylu
01-12-2011, 05:04 PM

They won 3 times without Rodman.

Mal
01-12-2011, 05:05 PM
i like how a poll can give you your chance to win nba title.

+1

portnoy1
01-12-2011, 05:07 PM
They won 3 times without Rodman.Horace grant, scott williams were pretty tough and Cliff levingston was a solid energy guy on the O boards and defense. I know what your thinking though, Cartwright sucked.

Dex
01-12-2011, 05:14 PM
1 != 0

TinTin
01-12-2011, 05:21 PM
lolol I thought this was going to be a laker troll

DJ Mbenga
01-12-2011, 05:26 PM
i beleive 1% chance is still a chance. its not like they voted 0%

PBEEZY
01-12-2011, 05:38 PM
So if a bunch of random people vote they can't win it all, then that means they can't? Fucking stupid article.

NBA players were polled

Nick Manning
01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
so John Amaechi was right.

what up homie, we jammin out lata today? bring your squire, i just learned smoke on the water

Ocotillo
01-12-2011, 05:42 PM
And this proves?.............

Not sure it proves this but since players were the respondents to this survey, I would offer it means they underestimate the Spurs when they play them.

ohmwrecker
01-12-2011, 05:48 PM
So, approximately 40 NBA players believe the Spurs can win the title?

Blackjack
01-12-2011, 06:03 PM

So long as 13 of which are Spurs, I'm good with that.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-12-2011, 06:24 PM
This just goes to show people's stupidity is bulletproof

PBEEZY
01-12-2011, 06:41 PM

No only 157 players were polled, fuck did anyone actually read the article Lol:lol

easy7
01-12-2011, 06:48 PM
...bring your squire...

Anything but the Fender Squire... :lmao :lmao :lmao

ohmwrecker
01-12-2011, 06:59 PM
No only 157 players were polled, fuck did anyone actually read the article Lol:lol

Actually, . . . no. I didn't read it. I just did the quick maths.

rmt
01-12-2011, 07:04 PM

Now, I tend to think "why not?" Every contender has flaws, none less so than the Spurs right now.

Would you please share what you think BOS lacks?

Mel_13
01-12-2011, 08:16 PM

Yet you want Bargnani..

portnoy1
01-12-2011, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=Mel_13;4892752]Yet you want Bargnani..[/QU leave it to mel13. Out of the many post, he just has to take a shot at my opinion. I want Bargs for his length an mobility. The 3pt shot is so Pop will play him over bonner. Lack of a jumpshot is one of the main reasons blair/splitter dont get alot of minutes an why bonner does. I feel that within the system bargs can be a solid mobile defender that has length.

Mel_13
01-12-2011, 10:54 PM
leave it to mel13. Out of the many post, he just has to take a shot at my opinion.

:cry

That's how message boards work. You post comments, others comment on your opinions.

dbreiden83080
01-12-2011, 10:58 PM
This season is starting to feel like 2003. If you did that poll then you would have got the same type of response. "Lakers will pull it together they are the champs" When Spurs played them in the playoffs nobody picked them to win in spite of the best record in the NBA. Anyone who is overlooking the Spurs with a record of 33-6 is just fooling themselves..

portnoy1
01-12-2011, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=Mel_13;4893754]:cry

That's how message boards work. You post comments, others comment on your opinions.[/QU Glad to know i play a vital role in about 75% of your post. Btw, your boy parker was solid tonite imo.

GrandeDavid
01-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Lakers are older than the Spurs. So stupid to still knock this team for age. Spurs will win #5 this season.

DMC
01-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Sad thing is some of those players polled were Spurs... :)

DeadlyDynasty
01-13-2011, 01:43 AM
Lakers are older than the Spurs. So stupid to still knock this team for age. Spurs will win #5 this season.

http://www.mutr.co.uk/images/iron_pyrite.jpg

portnoy1
01-13-2011, 05:17 AM
[QUOTE=guitardude27;4893930]Bonner and Bargnani on the same team...lol. Might as well go out and get Nash, Redick and Kyle Korver to start along side them.[/QU if you get a bargnani, murphy or love in a trade you make sure bonner is included in the deal. Thats the reason you try to get guys like that in the first place, there multiple skills. Bargs is a 3pt shooter that can block shots an has solid lateral abilities on both ends. Murphy an love both shoot the 3 an rebound very well. The idea is that with any of them their would be no reason to keep a one trick pony an play him 25min a game next to tim. Forcing tim to guard every drive toward the basket or get every rebound.

Mel_13
01-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Glad to know i play a vital role in about 75% of your post. Btw, your boy parker was solid tonite imo.

:lmao

Delusional and obsessive. Btw-the quote isn't that complicated to use.

Mel_13
01-13-2011, 07:15 AM
if you get a bargnani, murphy or love in a trade you make sure bonner is included in the deal. Thats the reason you try to get guys like that in the first place, there multiple skills. Bargs is a 3pt shooter that can block shots an has solid lateral abilities on both ends. Murphy an love both shoot the 3 an rebound very well. The idea is that with any of them their would be no reason to keep a one trick pony an play him 25min a game next to tim. Forcing tim to guard every drive toward the basket or get every rebound.

:lmao

Except every trade that you propose to "exchange Bonner for Bargs" involves giving up a major piece on the team, usually Parker. Then you cry when anyone calls you on it.

portnoy1
01-13-2011, 08:43 AM
[QUOTE=Mel_13;4894515]:lmao

Except every trade that you propose to "exchange Bonner for Bargs" involves giving up a major piece on the team, usually Parker. Then you cry when anyone calls you on it.[/QU fyi - im having problems with the quote cause i been using my phone. Trying to get used to it. An also i havent been negative regarding parker for awhile. You an brazil keep bringing up stuff regarding parker an me, which is weird cause i thought he played pretty good the last 2 games.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
01-13-2011, 08:54 AM
thats good

Mel_13
01-13-2011, 09:18 AM
An also i havent been negative regarding parker for awhile. You an brazil keep bringing up stuff regarding parker an me, which is weird cause i thought he played pretty good the last 2 games.

You brought up Parker's name in this thread, not me.

You just keep running from point I always make in your "let's get Bargs" posts: He's the face of their franchise on a 50M contract. Even if one assumes that the Spurs have interest, what would they have to give up to get Toronto to make a trade? You keep complaining that I comment on this long-running theme of yours, but you never answer the obvious question with any sort of realistic trade. You're perfectly free to propose that the Spurs trade for Bargs, but if you don't provide good reasons for both teams to make the trade you should expect others to comment on your proposal.

Still waiting.

BlairForceDejuan
01-13-2011, 09:21 AM
lol too old as the rest of the league crumbles apart with injuries

portnoy1
01-13-2011, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=Mel_13;4894617]You brought up Parker's name in this thread, not me.

You just keep running from point I always make in your "let's get Bargs" posts: He's the face of their franchise on a 50M contract. Even if one assumes that the Spurs have interest, what would they have to give up to get Toronto to make a trade? You keep complaining that I comment on this long-running theme of yours, but you never answer the obvious question with any sort of realistic trade. You're perfectly free to propose that the Spurs trade for Bargs, but if you don't provide good reasons for both teams to make the trade you should expect others to comment on your proposal.

Still waiting.[/QU tbh its impossible now. A few seasons ago it wouldve worked. Now with bosh gone your right he is untouchable. I knew he would be good but now its obvious to everyone. He is everything that pop wants. I wanted bargs, murphy or love ONLY if pop doesnt play splitter meaningful minutes an bonner keeps getting 23min+ a game. Sadly thats whats happening with pop/bonner/splitter.

Mel_13
01-13-2011, 11:46 AM
tbh its impossible now.

Good to know we've seen the last of the "trade for Bargs" posts.

portnoy1
01-13-2011, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=Mel_13;4894808]Good to know we've seen the last of the "trade for Bargs" posts.[ now wait just one minute! I still got my 'parker for calderon' post in my backpocket. Lol

Mel_13
01-13-2011, 12:04 PM
[ now wait just one minute! I still got my 'parker for calderon' post in my backpocket. Lol

:lol

touche

K-State Spur
01-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Having a flawed defense is ALWAYS UNACCEPATABLE if your serious trying to win a title. Thats why.

Spurs have been better defensively than the Lakers & Mavs this year.

The 3 Eastern contenders have been better, but 1) the Spurs would only have to play one of them (if they get that far) and 2) of those 3, only the C's have proven themselves to be able to play that kind of D in the playoffs - and they have more age/injury issues than San Antonio.

Not saying that the Spurs are the favorites (despite the record) by any juncture, but it's hard not to like how things are unfolding as of today. In a flawed league, there is no reason to harp on the Spurs flaws and ignore those of the competition (let Pop handle that).