PDA

View Full Version : All this talk about how we don't have a shot at the title....

TheSpursFNRule
01-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Am I the only Spurs fan who belives deep down inside that everything everyone is saying is true? We honestly cannot contend if we don't pick up another big man or a true defensive wing player. We are ALMOST there and there is a small chance we could win it all with this crew but watching games like Orlando or Dallas we will be exposed in the frontcourt if we keep our current lineup. I just wanna know what other Spur fans think. Reason I started a thread is because whenever someone posts an article where some writer says we don't have a chance most of you just get defensive and rip on the writer etc. So here is just an open discussion on whether you think we can really contend without one more big or a nice upgrade on defense.

:hat:wakeup

easy7
01-12-2011, 06:33 PM
All the talk about the Spurs not having a shot at a title this year is just that...talk. There are several teams that have a shot this year and the Spurs are one of them.

awktalk
01-12-2011, 06:52 PM
There will be 16 teams who have a shot at winning a title this year. The Spurs are one of those 16.

All teams have weaknesses. These Suns/Magic references are complete non-sequiters. The Spurs have something that only a handful of other teams possess: a coach with 4 titles and a big-3 with 10 between them. Experience is always overlooked.

dbestpro
01-12-2011, 06:56 PM
How much trouble would the NBA be in financially if the team with the best record in the NBA in January had no chance at the title?

They would have to remove the NBA from the list of sport leagues and add them to the Oscar nominations.

frodo
01-12-2011, 08:22 PM
depends on playoff match-ups imho. spurs are currently atop the west so they have plentiful flexibility to adjust their final rank. i hope the jazz will end up at 5th or 6th so they will take on Mavs or Lakers in the first round.

koriwhat
01-12-2011, 08:55 PM
i'm so sick of these same dumbass threads popping up daily by bandwagon fans with less than 1k in posts.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-12-2011, 08:57 PM
In 2003 we were all scared to death of the Fakers since they'd pounded us 3 straight years. Tim Duncan put paid to that with his dominant game 5.

In 2005 we effectively played 7-deep and most people thought the Pistons' defence was impregnable... it almost was, but not quite, and we prevailed.

In 2007 we looked half-dead for most of the season before inexplicably finding enormous chemistry after the ASB, getting a few good bounces (eg. Nash into the scorers table), and then slaughtered everyone on the way to the title.

As long as a team has elite chemistry and coaching, flexibility in the roster, a closer, and a bit of luck, and those elements come together at the business end of the season, there's always a chance of a title. This team has a decent chance.

TheSpursFNRule
01-12-2011, 09:15 PM
i'm so sick of these same dumbass threads popping up daily by bandwagon fans with less than 1k in posts.

I've been watching this team for two decades you dip shit. Just because I don't have as many posts as you doesn't mean I don't have a clue.
:flag:

TheSpursFNRule
01-12-2011, 09:16 PM
In 2003 we were all scared to death of the Fakers since they'd pounded us 3 straight years. Tim Duncan put paid to that with his dominant game 5.

In 2005 we effectively played 7-deep and most people thought the Pistons' defence was impregnable... it almost was, but not quite, and we prevailed.

In 2007 we looked half-dead for most of the season before inexplicably finding enormous chemistry after the ASB, getting a few good bounces (eg. Nash into the scorers table), and then slaughtered everyone on the way to the title.

As long as a team has elite chemistry and coaching, flexibility in the roster, a closer, and a bit of luck, and those elements come together at the business end of the season, there's always a chance of a title. This team has a decent chance.

Ok dude but Tim Duncan isn't Tim Duncan anymore.

ezau
01-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Wow, we have the best record in the league and we're not a contender. How fucked up is that?

Sense
01-12-2011, 09:17 PM
I've been watching this team for two decades you dip shit. Just because I don't have as many posts as you doesn't mean I don't have a clue.
:flag:

lol ignore him, in his mind... unless you have Spur calf tats.. your no fan.

koriwhat
01-12-2011, 09:49 PM
lol ignore him, in his mind... unless you have Spur calf tats.. your no fan.

not true at all... in my mind, anyone who sits around all day dissin' the team they supposedly cheer on is nothing more than another damn bandwagon fan regardless of how many decades they've supposedly been cheering on the spurs.

some people are just pessimistic i suppose.

Capt Bringdown
01-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Whereas we used to be a team built for the playoffs, I don't think that's the case anymore.
We don't have the right mix/caliber of players to become an elite defensive team in the playoffs. Our backcourt is capable of stepping it up a notch in the second season, but I can't see how anyone realistically expects Bonner, Blair and Dice to put forth the kind of consistent level of play that's needed to earn a ring.

JR3
01-12-2011, 11:26 PM
I think we under value Tim Duncan's presence in the paint. He is our center... yes i agree we could use some more length and size at depth.. but in the playoffs when Tim is playing more minutes, I don't think we will be as "exposed" as a lot of people might think... In the past it had been so critical for us have killer defense in the paint- it made up for our lack of offense. BUT this year we can actually out score people. It would complete us to have another long big that can play D, but I don't think its worth what it would take to trade for one- and I don't think we "NEED" it to win a championship this year. Other teams have their weaknesses too. Right now, we have the best record.

ALVAREZ6
01-13-2011, 02:13 PM
not true at all... in my mind, anyone who sits around all day dissin' the team they supposedly cheer on is nothing more than another damn bandwagon fan regardless of how many decades they've supposedly been cheering on the spurs.

Apparently pessimism is a synonym for bandwagon...and slight pessimism at that, using language like "almost there" and believing we need one more big, which I've always agreed with since before the season started.

Bartleby
01-13-2011, 02:19 PM
ok dude but tim duncan isn't tim duncan yet.

fify

DeadlyDynasty
01-13-2011, 02:20 PM
I think we under value Tim Duncan's presence in the paint. He is our center... yes i agree we could use some more length and size at depth.. but in the playoffs when Tim is playing more minutes, I don't think we will be as "exposed" as a lot of people might think... In the past it had been so critical for us have killer defense in the paint- it made up for our lack of offense. BUT this year we can actually out score people. It would complete us to have another long big that can play D, but I don't think its worth what it would take to trade for one- and I don't think we "NEED" it to win a championship this year. Other teams have their weaknesses too. Right now, we have the best record.

http://www.mutr.co.uk/images/iron_pyrite.jpg

JWest596
01-13-2011, 02:22 PM
What's next? "I told you so"? More Bonner hate? "Fire Pop!" , Scola threads?

We have more than a chance. It is preordained and in the Bible that the Spurs have a chance

K-State Spur
01-13-2011, 02:27 PM
You're not wrong, this team is flawed.

However, if you analyzed the opposition by the same measure, with every other team you could probably say, "i don't think we have a shot at the title unless we add x, y, z..."

Spurs haven't been rolling to 33 wins by accident - they got their because they are currently the least flawed team in the league.

koriwhat
01-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Apparently pessimism is a synonym for bandwagon...and slight pessimism at that, using language like "almost there" and believing we need one more big, which I've always agreed with since before the season started.

you're blind because you don't like me here on ST, i get it.

and i am not replying solely to the OP but to the general public of pessimistic fools who come here and start these stupid fuckin' threads even though it's clear the spurs have as good of a shot to win the LOB this season.

33-6

kiss my ass pessimistic fools!

DeadlyDynasty
01-13-2011, 02:44 PM

and i am not replying solely to the OP but to the general public of pessimistic fools who come here and start these stupid fuckin' threads even though it's clear the spurs have as good of a shot to win the LOB this season.

33-6

http://www.mutr.co.uk/images/iron_pyrite.jpg

ALVAREZ6
01-13-2011, 02:57 PM

33-6

lol I have nothing against you, I could care less about the calf tat thing, really not here to have internet battles like a lot of people

I'm not pessimistic as a whole, but I do think the Spurs need another big..it's gonna be a tough road to a championship for any team this year, there's lots of potential contenders. The Spurs are definitely gonna have to get through the Lakers, possibly another tough series with the Mavs, and whomever they face in the finals, it will be a tough series.

Oh yeah, and having concerns is not the same as pessimism.

koriwhat
01-13-2011, 02:59 PM
lol I have nothing against you, I could care less about the calf tat thing, really not here to have internet battles like a lot of people

I'm not pessimistic as a whole, but I do think the Spurs need another big..it's gonna be a tough road to a championship for any team this year, there's lots of potential contenders. The Spurs are definitely gonna have to get through the Lakers, possibly another tough series with the Mavs, and whomever they face in the finals, it will be a tough series.

i agree. sure it's going to be a tough road to the finals but it's not like our top 3 options + our coach hasn't been down that road before. like yrs before, we also had glaring holes and somehow came out on top.

jj1194
01-13-2011, 03:00 PM
I definately think it comes down to either us or the Lakers in the west. :lobt2:

ALVAREZ6
01-13-2011, 03:05 PM
i agree. sure it's going to be a tough road to the finals but it's not like our top 3 options + our coach hasn't been down that road before. like yrs before, we also had glaring holes and somehow came out on top.
Years before...exactly. We haven't come out on top in a few years, we're older and it's a long NBA season. Also, the teams we played during those championships were precisely how you put it...years before.

This is a different NBA. Compare the current Lakers and Celtics to the 07 Lebrons.... which road do you think is more difficult? I'll give you a hint, one is clearly way tougher.

Jose Ole
01-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Save it for April... I'm enjoying 33-6 :toast

cheguevara
01-13-2011, 03:10 PM
the Spurs are currently a work in progress. At the same time, anybody saying a team that is 33-6 has not shot at the title is dumb.

Sean Cagney
01-13-2011, 03:12 PM

So if someone posts about weaknesses and what they see as trouble on their favorite team they are bandwagon fans? Some analyze the game and what they see as a fault, doesn't make them any less of a fan than me or you are.

koriwhat
01-13-2011, 03:15 PM
So if someone posts about weaknesses and what they see as trouble on their favorite team they are bandwagon fans? Some analyze the game and what they see as a fault, doesn't make them any less of a fan than me or you are.

over your head.... i just chose to reply in this one of many threads. i was indirectly calling out all the other chumps who have been posting the same bs this season.