PDA

View Full Version : Teams signing players that always kill them?

hater
01-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Why do teams sometimes make stupid trades/sign ups due to a certain player playing well against them?

For example, Artest had that monster series as a Rocket vs. Lakers. Lakers go ahead and overhype his ass and sign him, while letting Ariza go. In the end, bad move for Lakers.

Another example, Spurs signing Rasho and claiming him to be the next DROb, mainly due to Rasho playing like a monster vs. Spurs. IN the end Rasho was mediocre.

shit even the Mavs signed Ian Mahinmi cause he had a 30pt game vs. Mavs as a Spur :downspin:

I remember Spursfans could have given anything for Bonzi Wells, cause he'd rape us everytime.

strange that teams are so naive that they highly value performances against them when considering players.

Mel_13
01-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Matt Bonner's career 3pt % vs. the Spurs: 100%

The Gemini Method
01-13-2011, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't say the so-called trade of Artest (for Ariza) was a bad move. It was Artest that really kept the Lakers in the contest in Game 7 and his harrassment of Paul Pierce throughout the series really was worth the cost. Don't mind him sportin' the purp & yellow because of that (and the psychiatrist/Wheaties comments).

Giuseppe
01-13-2011, 12:34 PM
This is old ground, but, I'll stomp it nonetheless:::Odom brought Artest to Buss. Buss was wise enough to link those two to one another, cite them on the spot to hold each other responsible: "Here's the total amount I can pay ya's....Lamar, you split it, Ron you choose the split."

We weren't going to get Ariza & Odom. Odom's two 3's late Vs. Orlando gave him license to prompt Artest to management: "I don't want money. I want Ron."

The moment, I say the moment that the league permitted Artest to put his hands on anything that moved last Spring was the moment we were in the tall cotton. Odom's brilliant epiphany, Buss's capitulation to it, and, Bryant's final determination to shovel: "Fuck me, I can't get it off." were a confluence of events that upon retrospection is absolutely surreal.

- In the barrio, Cubby, the year of our Lord, 2011

Bito Corleone
01-13-2011, 12:39 PM
shit even the Mavs signed Ian Mahinmi cause he had a 30pt game vs. Mavs as a Spur :downspin:

I can't believe I already forgot how much of a bad ass Yawn was for us. He used to drop 30/20's like nobody's business. Remember how nimble he was on defense? He was always in the right place at the right time. Best footwork I think I've ever seen. ALso, he couldn't get called for a foul if he punched someone in the face. Remember all those Spurs fans that would get angry because he was playing way too much, and they didn't realize what a fucking beast he was? Future HOFer for sure.

Why did we let him go again?

hater
01-13-2011, 12:41 PM
This is old ground, but, I'll stomp it nonetheless:::Odom brought Artest to Buss. Buss was wise enough to link those two to one another, cite them on the spot to hold each other responsible: "Here's the total amount I can pay ya's....Lamar, you split it, Ron you choose the split."

We weren't going to get Ariza & Odom. Odom's two 3's late Vs. Orlando gave him license to prompt Artest to management: "I don't want money. I want Ron."

The moment, I say the moment that the league permitted Artest to put his hands on anything that moved last Spring was the moment we were in the tall cotton. Odom's brilliant epiphany, Buss's capitulation to it, and, Bryant's final determination to shovel: "Fuck me, I can't get it off." were a confluence of events that upon retrospection is absolutely surreal.

- In the barrio, Cubby, the year of our Lord, 2011

yes you might cuten it up and a bed or roses and all. But in the end Ariza fits this Lakers better than Artest. ArizafitsbetterPERIOD

Giuseppe
01-13-2011, 12:42 PM
I still can't get over seein' Scola in a Houston uniform. Brooks looks correct in it. Battier looks absolutely divine in it. The white kid (names escapes me) is made for it. On & on. But, Scola? Uh, uh. He was born to the silver & black....

And Daddy-O's, that's it, and that's all.

Giuseppe
01-13-2011, 12:44 PM
yes you might cuten it up and a bed or roses and all. But in the end Ariza fits this Lakers better than Artest. ArizafitsbetterPERIOD

Moot point. We were either going to keep Ariza, OR, Odom & Artest. The empiricals are plain upon examination.

hater
01-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Moot point. We were either going to keep Ariza, OR, Odom & Artest. The empiricals are plain upon examination.

not sure about that. I might be wrong but didn't the Lakers sign Artest before sending a counter offer to Ariza?

Killakobe81
01-13-2011, 12:48 PM
What MONSTER series are you referring to? the last (or closest) monster series that artest had IIRC was against the Spurs when he played in Sacramento when he and Bonzi wrecked shop on yall ...I dont think he has ad a monster series since ...

That being said, only this year has Ron made me think twice about the signing ...but even though he lacks the foot speed for the quicker preimeter scorers he still makes things tougher than most so until we dont hoist a LOB I cant fault the ron deal. And even if we do not 3peat that means either the spurs, Celts or heat beat us (no one else as currently constituted can close us out) and we may have lost with ariza anyway. In two years would i rather have Trevor? Of course, but if even if he was the difference in ONE title ron was worth it.

Giuseppe
01-13-2011, 12:50 PM
No.

Giuseppe
01-13-2011, 12:50 PM
not sure about that. I might be wrong but didn't the Lakers sign Artest before sending a counter offer to Ariza?

No.

Killakobe81
01-13-2011, 12:51 PM
and for the record I agree with your premise teams do that all the time ...but i think blake and barnes are better examples than artest ...on the Lakers roster.

Giuseppe
01-13-2011, 12:56 PM
I still constantly look over my shoulder for Bell comin' for us.

Bryant tried though. tee, hee.

BlackSwordsMan
01-13-2011, 01:08 PM
If this were the case everyone would try and sign Kobe.
tee,hee

Giuseppe
01-13-2011, 01:22 PM
^After he raped & pillaged he came here on his free agent whirlwind tour/Colangelo took him, gladhanded him, gave him audience.

Suns Fan, to their credit, for the most part, repudiated him out of hand.

jjktkk
01-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Why do teams sometimes make stupid trades/sign ups due to a certain player playing well against them?

Another example, Spurs signing Rasho and claiming him to be the next DROb, mainly due to Rasho playing like a monster vs. Spurs. IN the end Rasho was mediocre.

I never heard Pop or RC claim Rasho was going to be the next DROB. Who exactly said that? The Spurs signed Rosho to fill the "role" of DROB.

Giuseppe
01-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Still & all:::

Scola in Houston looks like he should be San Antonio.

Know what I mean, jellybeans?