PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the Top 10 NBA Players by Winning Percentage - Ginobili, of course....

Phenomanul
01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Didn't see this posted... though I remember a similar article that did a ranking for all-time players... This year's record will certainly boost both Duncan's, Parker's and Ginobili's hard-earned numbers... These guys just play to win.

Sports is all about winning. We define our team by their win-loss record. We define a coach by his career winning percentage.

If a player has a horrible game, but hits the game-winning shot, all is forgotten and he is the hero. If a player has a great game, but misses two free throws in the closing seconds, he has failed.

If a team turns the ball over 25 times but comes away with a win, we are happy. If a team hits 20 three-pointers but loses the game, we are not.

But, for some reason, we don't pay attention to the winning percentage of NBA players. I have never seen any statistics on the matter.

So, I decided to find out which current NBA players have the highest career winning percentage. I calculated the individual winning percentage of every NBA player that has played in at least 500 games.

To qualify for the team's win or loss, the player must have played in the game.

So, lets get to the results...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/565001-ranking-the-top-10-nba-players-in-winning-percentage#page/1

Dark Matter
01-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Sweet!!

Old School 44
01-13-2011, 07:26 PM
No offense to the OP, but those stats are kind of dumb, especially since the Spurs players have overlapping careers on the same team.

Cane
01-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Bragging rights?

Solid D
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Tony Parker has the best Playoff winning percentage of those players listed @ .695.

Manu has the best Regular Season winning percentage @ .716 and that is what puts him higher than Parker on the combined totals.

DAF86
01-13-2011, 07:53 PM
I can't make the slideshow work, what's the ranking?

Solid D
01-13-2011, 08:44 PM
I can't make the slideshow work, what's the ranking?

It's a manual lide show. See "next" and "previous" buttons top right corner. If a pop-up appears just refresh the screen.

greyforest
01-13-2011, 09:16 PM
for those who are having trouble its

1. manu
2. parker
3. timmy
4. shaq
5. kobe
6. fisher
7. dirk
8. nash
9. lebron
10. amare

this is all just current players - i'd be interested to see how they rank all-time.

Manu-of-steel
01-13-2011, 09:29 PM
nice read.

Sense
01-13-2011, 09:41 PM

1. manu
2. parker
3. timmy
4. shaq
5. kobe
6. fisher
7. dirk
8. nash
9. lebron
10. amare

this is all just current players - i'd be interested to see how they rank all-time.

what about the numbers? and yeah the slide won't work for me... not even manual.

Danny.Zhu
01-13-2011, 10:15 PM
e

cutewizard
01-13-2011, 10:20 PM

1. manu
2. parker
3. timmy
4. shaq
5. kobe
6. fisher
7. dirk
8. nash
9. lebron
10. amare

This confirms the status of Manu as the winningest player as well as the smartest player in all of Hoopsworld!!!!

Manu rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant_Be_Faded
01-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Damn that's fuckign amazing

ROFL amare can eat a dick

Spurologist
01-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Can't get the site to work :pctoss

itzsoweezee
01-13-2011, 11:06 PM
imagine how many championships philjax would've won with these guys.

TD 21
01-13-2011, 11:12 PM
This confirms the status of Manu as the winningest player as well as the smartest player in all of Hoopsworld!!!!

Manu rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do realize that Ginobili being first is due in large part to Duncan, right? Ginobili, like Parker, got to join an established, elite team from day one and play with the best player in the world.

Like greyforest, I'd like to see all-time winning percentages and all-time total wins.

Mel_13
01-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Like greyforest, I'd like to see all-time winning percentages and all-time total wins.

Bill Simmons took a look at this subject back in May, 2009:

Q: The NBA should start keeping track of players' winning percentages. Wouldn't this give us at least a decent idea for who are the biggest "winners" in not just basketball but in all sports?
-- Stephen, Baltimore

SG: Very cool idea. I brought out the heavy hitters for this one (Steve Hirdt and the Elias Sports Bureau) and asked them to check the following 14 guys. Here's what they found.

ALL-TIME PLAYER WINNING PERCENTAGES
PLAYER REG. SEASON PLAYOFFS
Larry Bird .736 .604
Manu Ginobili .724 .654
Sam Jones .718 .649
Bill Russell .717 .648
Tony Parker .716 .615
Tim Duncan .712 .631
Scottie Pippen .688 .654
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar .688 .650
Magic Johnson .674 .740
Shaquille O'Neal .672 .601
Robert Horry .671 .635
Michael Jordan .659 .665
Bob Cousy .655 .578
Jerry West .638 .569

Some follow-up thoughts: First, the Legend! Second, the playoff numbers for the post-merger guys are skewed because there were extra rounds (and easier matchups). Russell's .649 playoff percentage would be like a .725 under today's setup. Third, nobody did more with less than Duncan, and his performance from 2001-03 becomes more remarkable with time; he won 203 games, two MVPs and an NBA title playing with role players, has-beens, castoffs and young guys who weren't quite ready. Incredible. Fourth, Robert Horry's career is going to be studied for months by John Hollinger's perplexed great-great-great-great-grandchildren in the 2100s, and ultimately they're going to throw their hands up, shake their heads and move on to a topic that actually makes sense. And fifth, the Legend!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090522/part2&sportCat=nba

TD 21
01-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Bill Simmons took a look at this subject back in May, 2009:

Q: The NBA should start keeping track of players' winning percentages. Wouldn't this give us at least a decent idea for who are the biggest "winners" in not just basketball but in all sports?
-- Stephen, Baltimore

SG: Very cool idea. I brought out the heavy hitters for this one (Steve Hirdt and the Elias Sports Bureau) and asked them to check the following 14 guys. Here's what they found.

Larry Bird .736 .604
Manu Ginobili .724 .654
Sam Jones .718 .649
Bill Russell .717 .648
Tony Parker .716 .615
Tim Duncan .712 .631
Scottie Pippen .688 .654
Magic Johnson .674 .740
Robert Horry .671 .635
Michael Jordan .659 .665
Bob Cousy .655 .578
Jerry West .638 .569

Some follow-up thoughts: First, the Legend! Second, the playoff numbers for the post-merger guys are skewed because there were extra rounds (and easier matchups). Russell's .649 playoff percentage would be like a .725 under today's setup. Third, nobody did more with less than Duncan, and his performance from 2001-03 becomes more remarkable with time; he won 203 games, two MVPs and an NBA title playing with role players, has-beens, castoffs and young guys who weren't quite ready. Incredible. Fourth, Robert Horry's career is going to be studied for months by John Hollinger's perplexed great-great-great-great-grandchildren in the 2100s, and ultimately they're going to throw their hands up, shake their heads and move on to a topic that actually makes sense. And fifth, the Legend!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090522/part2&sportCat=nba

Now that you bring this to my attention, I do remember reading this at the time. Forgot about it, though.

But it doesn't have total wins. I'd like to see where Duncan ranks on the all-time in regular season, playoff and combined regular season and playoff wins.

Simmons is right. The average fan has this idea that Duncan has always had a lot of help, but it's just not true. He was just so great that he was able to make this team better than it should have been for a long time.

Mel_13
01-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Now that you bring this to my attention, I do remember reading this at the time. Forgot about it, though.

But it doesn't have total wins. I'd like to see where Duncan ranks on the all-time in regular season, playoff and combined regular season and playoff wins.

Simmons is right. The average fan has this idea that Duncan has always had a lot of help, but it's just not true. He was just so great that he was able to make this team better than it should have been for a long time.

B-R lets you search back to 1986 for the regular season and 1991 for the playoffs:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player=&match=career&year_min=1987&year_max=2011&age_min=0&age_max=99&team_id=&opp_id=&is_playoffs=N&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=W&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pts

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player=&match=career&year_min=1987&year_max=2011&age_min=0&age_max=99&team_id=&opp_id=&is_playoffs=Y&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=W&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pts

Phenomanul
01-14-2011, 12:41 AM
No offense to the OP, but those stats are kind of dumb, especially since the Spurs players have overlapping careers on the same team.

The Spurs do better when all three play (obvious)... The impact of having lost Manu to stress fractures and the such hurt Duncan's and Parker's percentages... and vice versa...

In the end though, Manu's heart, all-out-style and his will to win are reflected on the scoreboard... and hence the phenomenal winning percentage...

it's me
01-14-2011, 12:47 AM
So pretty much Manu and Tony have been just lucky to play with Duncan.......interesting...poor scrubs, without Tim are nothing.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 12:48 AM
In the end though, Manu's heart, all-out-style and his will to win are reflected on the scoreboard... and hence the phenomenal winning percentage...

I absolutely love what Manu brings to the game, but his phenomenal winning percentage is overwhelmingly the result of being a teammate of Tim Duncan for his entire career.

Phenomanul
01-14-2011, 12:52 AM
I absolutely love what Manu brings to the game, but his phenomenal winning percentage is overwhelmingly the result of being a teammate of Tim Duncan for his entire career.

People would be stupid not to include that as a primary factor...

that said...

Ginobili has been doing his thing in every league he's played in... at every level... on every team he's been on...

He's the consumate competitor.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 12:57 AM
People would be stupid not to include that as a primary factor...

that said...

Ginobili has been doing his thing in every league he's played in... at every level... on every team he's been on...

He's the consumate competitor.

As I said, I fully appreciate what Manu brings to every game he plays, but Duncan would be near the top of this list without Manu. The reverse.....

Phenomanul
01-14-2011, 12:59 AM
As I said, I fully appreciate what Manu brings to every game he plays, but Duncan would be near the top of this list without Manu. The reverse.....

Ginobili is smart enough to know how to get the best from his teammates... he knew that Duncan was the team's bread and butter and played to that strength [and we should all be thankful Pop's the guy who can keep it all turning... due mostly to the attitudes of the big three... and Duncan's selflessness...] Nothing exemplefies those attributes more than a couple of memorable plays between Duncan and Ginobili... the pass and game winning bucket against the Sonics in 2005, and the pass to Timmy at the 3pt line to take the game to OT against the Suns in GM1 of 2008 (where Manu scored the game-winner).

Not many players of Ginobili's caliber would slide to the 6th man role for the good of the team, without complaint... Ginobili did, because he understood that in the long run that's what would help the team win.

so many things....

I'm not really disagreeing with your premise more so than underscoring why Ginobili has a win-share of his own right.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 01:09 AM
Ginobili is smart enough to know how to get the best from his teammates... he knew that Duncan was the team's bread and butter and played to that strength [and we should all be thankful Pop's the guy who can keep it all turning... due mostly to the attitudes of the big three... and Duncan's selflessness...] Nothing exemplefies those attributes more than a couple of memorable plays between Duncan and Ginobili... the pass and game winning bucket against the Sonics in 2005, and the pass to Timmy at the 3pt line to take the game to OT against the Suns in GM1 of 2008 (where Manu scored the game-winner).

Not many players of Ginobili's caliber would slide to the 6th man role for the good of the team, without complaint... Ginobili did, because he understood that in the long run that's what would help the team win.

so many things....

I'm not really disagreeing with your premise more so than underscoring why Ginobili has a win-share of his own right.

And I'd never think to disparage Manu in any way, shape or form. The partnership formed by Duncan and Manu has been a joy to watch. I don't believe it takes anything away from Manu to recognize the preeminent position that Duncan holds.

Phenomanul
01-14-2011, 01:14 AM
And I'd never think to disparage Manu in any way, shape or form. The partnership formed by Duncan and Manu has been a joy to watch. I don't believe it takes anything away from Manu to recognize the preeminent position that Duncan holds.

I can agree to that because Ginobili himself would be the first to say it. [of course this would be followed by Ginobili pulling out his gold medal from 2004 and telling Duncan "thanks" :lol]

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 01:23 AM
I can agree to that because Ginobili himself would be the first to say it. [of course this would be followed by Ginobili pulling out his gold medal from 2004 and telling Duncan "thanks" :lol]

:lol

Manu will always have scoreboard there.

ElNono
01-14-2011, 01:38 AM
What I get out of that article is more confirmation on what should be obvious by now: Manu > Tony

:stirpot:

(let's see if ducks or Bukefal take the bait :lol)

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 01:47 AM
What I get out of that article is more confirmation on what should be obvious by now: Manu > Tony

:stirpot:

(let's see if ducks or Bukefal take the bait :lol)

Well now, that is a clear and indisputable fact.

mathbzh
01-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Both being > Duncan:lol

howbouthemspurs
01-14-2011, 04:10 AM
That is a pretty cool thing to know about the true big three of the decade

sonic21
01-14-2011, 05:59 AM
Larry Bird .736 .604
Manu Ginobili .724 .654
Sam Jones .718 .649
Bill Russell .717 .648
Tony Parker .716 .615
Tim Duncan .712 .631
Scottie Pippen .688 .654
Magic Johnson .674 .740
Robert Horry .671 .635
Michael Jordan .659 .665
Bob Cousy .655 .578
Jerry West .638 .569

tbh Manu would be 1st if Parker was passing to him more.

TMTTRIO
01-14-2011, 07:10 AM
I can understand Manu having the great career because of and playing next to Tim Duncan and even Tony but at the same if Manu's just a good role player on this team why couldn't the Spurs have continued winning after he went down with an injury. With the talent of Tim and Tony alone shouldn't they have won more games alone without him?

leo_d
01-14-2011, 07:12 AM
Magic`s playoff number is insane

TDMVPDPOY
01-14-2011, 07:37 AM
I can understand Manu having the great career because of and playing next to Tim Duncan and even Tony but at the same if Manu's just a good role player on this team why couldn't the Spurs have continued winning after he went down with an injury. With the talent of Tim and Tony alone shouldn't they have won more games alone without him?

LOL u tryin to play reverse mind games on gino fans

kaji157
01-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Tony Parker has the best Playoff winning percentage of those players listed @ .695.

Manu has the best Regular Season winning percentage @ .716 and that is what puts him higher than Parker on the combined totals.

Nope, Manu has the best record at both, Parker's playoff record is miscalculated. 79-53 doesnt stand as a .695 but .595.
The writer misstyped on that one.
Manu PO record is 74-43 which is higher than 79-53.

Spurologist
01-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Dallas has become known for regularly winning 60 games in the regular season, but not for winning playoff series.

:rollin

carina_gino20
01-16-2011, 11:07 AM
The pros of playing w great teammates & coaches!! Feels good to be there! http://bit.ly/ft7A91

http://twitter.com/manuginobili/status/26361274765934592

Hemotivo
01-16-2011, 12:06 PM
The 50 Hottest Blondes in Sports

SA210
01-16-2011, 03:02 PM
The Spurs do better when all three play (obvious)... The impact of having lost Manu to stress fractures and the such hurt Duncan's and Parker's percentages... and vice versa...

:tu