View Full Version : Spurs vs Mavericks Previews

Spurs Brazil
01-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Game is Friday, 7:00 CST

Dallas (26-11) at San Antonio (33-6)
TV: ESPN, KENS

By JEFF BARTL, STATS Writer

Tipoff: 8:00 pm EST Fri Jan 14, 2011

Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle refuses to use the absence of Dirk Nowitzki(notes) as an excuse for his team’s struggles. As they continue falling further behind the San Antonio Spurs in the Southwest Division, though, the Mavericks may need to learn how to win without their star soon.

The Mavericks face the Spurs without Nowitzki for the second time Friday night in San Antonio.

Nowitzki missed his eighth straight game with a sprained knee Tuesday as Dallas fell 102-89 at Indiana. The Mavericks (26-11) are 2-6 without Nowitzki, who is averaging 24.1 points per game.

“I’m not answering any Dirk questions,” Carlisle said after the loss. “We don’t have Dirk, so it’s not a topic that’s worth discussion. We’ve got to win with the guys we have.”

That’s proving to be difficult, especially after forward Caron Butler(notes) went down with a possible season-ending knee injury that required surgery. Carlisle opened up a bit after practice Thursday, saying Nowitzki is progressing but won’t be rushed.

“Dirk increases his workouts every day, and signs are positive,” he told the team’s official website. “But it’s very important that we focus on the guys that we have available at this time and make sure that he gets back absolutely 100 percent healthy.”

Shawn Marion(notes), who has started the last five in place of Nowitzki, has been inconsistent. He’s had games of 22, 25 and 18 points, but had an eight-point effort and scored 12 against Indiana.

After a stretch in which they reached the 100-point mark in 13 of 16 games with Nowitzki in the lineup, Dallas has been held to fewer than 100 in six of eight without him - including a 99-93 loss to the Spurs on Dec. 30.

San Antonio (33-6) has won four straight and eight of 10 to increase its lead over Dallas to six games. While the Mavericks are waiting for someone to step up their play, the Spurs seem to be getting contributions from everyone.

Tony Parker(notes) has been struggling and Richard Jefferson(notes) was held scoreless Wednesday, but Matt Bonner(notes) scored 17 points in a season-high 31 minutes off the bench to spark a 91-84 victory over Milwaukee.

Manu Ginobili(notes) had 23 points and Tim Duncan(notes) added 16 points and eight rebounds.

“A lot of different guys are playing very well on different nights. It’s turned into the record that we have now,” Duncan said. “We’re not counting on one individual to try to get it done every night.”

Reserve Gary Neal(notes) took his turn in the December victory against the Mavericks, scoring 21 points. San Antonio, however, would like to get Parker on track, as the guard has averaged 10.3 points and shot 31.7 percent in his last four games.

With Nowitzki and Butler, Dallas won 103-94 on Nov. 26 in San Antonio. The Mavericks have taken two straight and three of five at the AT&T Center.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2011011424

Spurs Brazil
01-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Spurs could miss Nowitzki, again
Posted on January 13, 2011 at 3:51 pm by Jeff McDonald

The Mavericks had Dirk Nowitzki literally running in circles at the end of Thursday’s practice session at Trinity University. As part of his ongoing recovery from a sprained right knee, Nowitzki was seen jogging the perimeter of the practice court, working up a nice sweat in the process.

Nowitzki never actually made an appearance on the court for team drills, which would seem to point toward Dallas’ leading scorer missing Friday’s game against the Spurs at the AT&T Center. After the workout, Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said Nowitzki is “making real progress” in his rehabilitation, but remained tight-lipped about his status for the upcoming Southwest Division showdown.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/13/nowitzki-could-miss-spurs-game-again/

crc21209
01-13-2011, 07:58 PM
I've read that he's listed as "doubtful." By the sounds of Carlisle saying Dirk is making "progress," it doesnt sound like he's going to be playing tomorrow....

Spurs Brazil
01-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Tyson Chandler tells Dirk not to rush it
January, 13, 2011
Jan 13
By Jeff Caplan
SAN ANTONIO -- As someone who has agonized on the bench with injuries over the last two seasons, helpless to aid his team, Tyson Chandler said no matter how bad things seem at the moment, Dirk Nowitzki can't rush his return.

"I want him to be 100 percent before he comes back," Chandler said. "The thing is you don’t want to rush anything. I’ve been there. I’ve rushed. I’ve been on the sideline and been in the same situation, watched my team lose, watched my team suffer, and then try to jump back out there and before you know it something else is bothering you. We need him for the long haul."

As dire as things might appear with the Dallas Mavericks losing six of eight without Nowitzki, a wider view of the overall season suggests otherwise. The Mavs enter Friday's game at the San Antonio Spurs -- with or without Nowitzki -- with the third-best record in the Western Conference at 26-11. While they've lost ground on the Spurs, Dallas is not in jeopardy of dropping out of the playoff mix or even, at this point, out of the top four considering Nowitzki's return is getting closer.

"As tough as it is to take losses -- I’m a very passionate person and I take every loss personally – I would much rather have him down the stretch when it counts," Chandler said. "This is not the playoffs. We’re not winning any championships right now. But I’m not going to kid you, it is build throughout the season. The thing we have to do is bunker down as individuals defensively and really try to turn this thing around."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4673335/tyson-chandler-tells-injured-dirk-not-to-rush-it?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Spurs Brazil
01-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Mavs still cautious with Dirk Nowitzki
January, 13, 2011
Jan 13
By Jeff Caplan
SAN ANTONIO -- No hard evidence emerged from Thursday's practice that Dirk Nowitzki is on the verge of returning for Friday night's game at the San Antonio Spurs, who own the NBA's best record at 33-6 and have opened a six-game bulge over the Dallas Mavericksduring Nowitzki's eight-game absence.

Nowitzki did not participate in team drills Thursday and was limited to working up a hearty sweat by shooting, running laps around the basketball court at Trinity University where the team practiced and one-on-one stretching and agility work with head athletic trainer Casey Smith.

While coach Rick Carlisle offered that there is a chance Nowitzki could play against the Spurs, he also said they are going to continue to be extraordinarily cautious with their leading scorer, MVP candidate and face of the franchise.

"There are different phases of the rehab process. He’s making progress. I mean he’s making real progress, I think you guys see that," Carlisle said. "We’ll let you know when he’s going to play. Hey, it could be very soon or it could be a while."

Nowitzki has been listed as day-to-day since he sprained his right knee on Dec. 27 at Oklahoma City. While he hoped to return during the previous homestand and then at some point on this four-game road trip, it is not certain at all that his return will come in game two Friday night against the rival Spurs.

More to come soon on Nowitzki's situation.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4673324/dirk-nowitzkis-status-for-spurs-remains-uncertain

DMC
01-13-2011, 08:45 PM
"Tony Parker(notes) has been struggling and Richard Jefferson(notes) was held scoreless Wednesday, but Matt Bonner(notes) scored 17 points in a season-high 31 minutes off the bench to spark a 91-84 victory over Milwaukee."

1. Why does everyone bitch about Tony just because he has one bad game?

2. Tony is more of a passer now.

3. I guess Manu never had a bad game?

Just getting these excuses in before other people pretend the "struggle" isn't duly noted in this article.

frodo
01-13-2011, 08:58 PM
^ someones been trying too hard

DMC
01-13-2011, 09:00 PM
^ someones been trying too hard

I doubt you've ever been accused of that. You seem like a career underachiever.

I am shocked, actually, that you didn't mention Yao Ming.

frodo
01-13-2011, 09:01 PM
^ im also a bit surprised u didn't ignore me

DMC
01-13-2011, 09:03 PM
^ im also a bit surprised u didn't ignore me
Does everyone else ignore you? Maybe I should. Had you chose Sam instead of that faggot Frodo, maybe you would gain some respect. Frodo did nothing but get carried and rescued the entire time, like the weak little lipstick lesbian he is.

frodo
01-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Does everyone else ignore you? Maybe I should. Had you chose Sam instead of that faggot Frodo, maybe you would gain some respect. Frodo did nothing but get carried and rescued the entire time, like the weak little lipstick lesbian he is.

i never take it this seriously, i never get mad at someone just b/c he calls me an "immigrant" what i actually am. i never implant virus into the computers of other peoples, i never snitch to the mods about how much im butthurt.

DMC
01-14-2011, 02:34 AM
i never take it this seriously, i never get mad at someone just b/c he calls me an "immigrant" what i actually am. i never implant virus into the computers of other peoples, i never snitch to the mods about how much im butthurt.

Do you ever make big trouble for moose and squirrel?

WalterBenitez
01-14-2011, 06:41 AM
Some isolated thougts about this reading:

1. Dirk running circles is not something close to be cleared, I mean BBall demands a lot of ankles and knees, so Dirk is not going to play in 5/7 days (at least).

2. SAS has changed this season, more offensive oriented, because of that TP, Manu and TD changed.

2.a) TD is not involved in every single offensive play, he slowed down his protagonism (some people said because of his age) I'd like to think is about being fresh for playoffs.

2.b) TP is more assists oriented what is a clear improvement in my point of view.

2.c) Manu is ... well, Manu

3) SAS is becoming more a TEAM that demands every player to step up, what is really smart is that this team find any single game what is the player that is on in that game; this SAS also can go fast or slow, go offensive and or go back to "almost dirty" defense.

tuncaboylu
01-14-2011, 07:54 AM
It's obvious that Dirk's injury is more serious than reported.

"Don't rushing", "Don't play while not %100" etc. I'm reading all of those in last 5 Dallas games' previews and nothing changed in 20 days. I think they are trying to cover the level of injury of Dirk.

Shank
01-14-2011, 10:01 AM
It's not more serious than is being reported. It's a new sort of injury for Dirk and they're monitoring it differently than injuries in the past. He's doing a lot of things in the practices but hasn't deemed himself ready to do game-type activities as of yet. No one is worried. We'd just like the guy to come back sooner than later, but understand giving it the time it needs. At this point, it's right on schedule for the length of time to recover from such an injury. The Mavs were at fault in calling in "day to day" when they should have said 2-3 weeks from the start.

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-14-2011, 10:16 AM
I'd assume Dirk would be back by now. Should be an easy Spurs victory then.

shelshor
01-14-2011, 10:17 AM
http://www.nba.com/news/referee.html
Referee Assignments
Fri. Jan. 14
Dallas @ San Antonio: Greg Willard; Kevin Fehr; Gary Zielinski

YoMamaIsCallin
01-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Even if Dirk's back, he will be a lot less effective than normal. I think the big story is Butler being out. He has killed the Spurs in the past. A really good player, and the kind that historically hurts the Spurs, big, strong, athletic scorer. Marion has to step into his spot, and is not available as a bench player, so the bench should be a big advantage for the Spurs. They have to contain Terry and not let him go off, and if they can do this, it should be a win.

TDMVPDPOY
01-14-2011, 10:20 AM
spurs easy win, next

CubanMustGo
01-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Just because Dirk has rubber ankles doesn't mean his knee is going to be as resilient. He probably had more pain/swelling after injuring it and with knees being what they are the Mavs are smart to be certain it's 100% before trotting him onto the floor again.

Spurs fans, who always say 'regular season isn't important, it's all about the post-season' should understand why you don't rush your stars back onto the court.

Rummpd
01-14-2011, 11:10 AM
With or without Dirk it will not be an easy game - Dallas is still a tough, hungry, well coached and deep team and ESPN games do not always bring out the best in the Spurs.

smeagol
01-14-2011, 11:28 AM
So much for the "fast healer"

Spurs Brazil
01-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Dirk Nowitzki 'making real progress'

By Jeff Caplan

SAN ANTONIO -- Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle, for the 17th consecutive day, was asked how injured star Dirk Nowitzki was doing and if he'd be ready to return to action.

And, for the 17th consecutive day, Carlisle provided his unwavering response: "We'll let you know. He's working at it and making progress. He's day to day."

That means nothing has changed heading into the Mavs' showdown against the San Antonio Spurs on Friday night. Nowitzki, who has missed a career-high eight games, did not participate in team drills Thursday and was limited to working up a hearty sweat by shooting, running laps around the basketball court at Trinity University, where the team practiced and one-on-one stretching and agility work with head athletic trainer Casey Smith.

Nowitzki has been listed as day to day since he sprained his right knee Dec. 27 in Oklahoma City. After X-rays and an MRI exam, the injury was presumably diagnosed as a minor setback and the team listed his status accordingly. Speculation therefore, and understandably so, focused on a quick return to the court for the Mavs' leading scorer and MVP candidate.

Carlisle, however, did shed a bit more light on the matter as the days and losses (six in eight games) continue to mount without Nowitzki.

"Dirk increases his workouts every day and signs are positive," Carlisle said. "But it's very important that we focus on the guys we have available at this time and make sure that he gets back absolutely 100 percent healthy. We've listed him day to day because we don't believe this is a serious injury and he is making progress.

"On the other hand, we are going to maintain an extremely cautious posture on this going forward, and like everyone else we want him to get back 100 percent healthy as soon as possible."

Carlisle added: "There are different phases of the rehab process. He's making progress. I mean he's making real progress, I think you guys see that. We'll let you know when he's going to play. Hey, it could be very soon or it could be a while."

The Mavs could very well head into a second game against San Antonio in nine days without their main man. During Nowitzki's absence, the Spurs have opened up a six-game lead on Dallas and the Mavs enter the game having lost three in a row for the second time during this stretch. They'll try to avoid a first four-game skid of the season.

Nowitzki, who last week acknowledged that he had underestimated the recovery time needed, desperately wants to get back during this four-game road trip.

"In the meantime, as a team," Carlisle said, "we must focus on the guys we have available and find ways to win games with them."

Teammate Tyson Chandler, who has been plagued with injuries the past two seasons, said no matter how bad things may seem at the moment, Nowitzki can't rush his return.

"I want him to be 100 percent before he comes back," Chandler said. "The thing is you don't want to rush anything. I've been there. I've rushed. I've been on the sideline and been in the same situation, watched my team lose, watched my team suffer, and then try to jump back out there and before you know it something else is bothering you. We need him for the long haul.

"I would much rather have him down the stretch when it counts."

Jeff Caplan covers the Mavericks for ESPNDallas.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6021207

tdunk21
01-14-2011, 11:51 AM
spurs win this one......with or without dirk in the game

tdunk21
01-14-2011, 11:52 AM
i hope red rocket has another big game

sananspursfan21
01-14-2011, 11:58 AM
always play hard at sa, even if they dont have nowitzki, butler

DMC
01-14-2011, 12:08 PM
It doesn't matter as long as the Spurs are winning.

polandprzem
01-14-2011, 12:27 PM
It doesn't matter as long as the Spurs are winning.

:lol

Why you all can't get along?

Why do people are so nasty to each other?

Wtf this world ?

DMC
01-14-2011, 12:39 PM
:lol

Why you all can't get along?

Why do people are so nasty to each other?

Wtf this world ?
Blame it on El Chupacabra.

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Dirk out

SAN ANTONIO -- Dallas Mavericks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=dal) coach Rick Carlisle didn't have to provide the daily injury update after Friday morning's shootaround. A sweaty, scowling Dirk Nowitzki (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=609) took care of that.
"There's nothing to talk about. I'm out for tonight," Nowitzki said of Friday night's matchup against the San Antonio Spurs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=sas).

More on the Mavericks

http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/nba/med/trans/dal.gif
News, notes and analysis of the Mavericks from ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan, Tim MacMahon and our team. Blog (http://espn.go.com/dallas/columns/mavericks/blog) • 10 In '10: Highlights (http://espn.go.com/dallas/photos/gallery/_/id/5923220/mavericks-best-moments-2010) http://assets.espn.go.com/icons/photo.png Lowlights (http://espn.go.com/dallas/photos/gallery/_/id/5940187/mavericks-worst-moments-2010) http://assets.espn.go.com/icons/photo.png

The Spurs, owners of the league's best record at 33-6, have opened a six-game bulge on the Mavericks. It will be the ninth consecutive game in which Nowitzki has been sidelined with a sprained right knee.
Nowitzki had little desire to talk after his most rigorous workout of his recovery process. He did not participate in team drills once again, but Friday morning marked the first time in which he went one-one-one with another player, making contact during offensive and defensive drills to test the knee in game-type situations.
He and center Alexis Ajinca (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3410) went back-and-forth, with Ajinca guarding Nowitzki as he practiced an array of offensive moves, including his trademark fallaway jumper, and then with Nowitzki guarding Ajinca.
The 7-foot-1 Ajinca, who made his first start of the season in Wednesday's game at Indiana, said he expects to start again at power forward vs. the Spurs.

CubanMustGo
01-14-2011, 01:00 PM
always play sa hard

fify

sefant77
01-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Chandler is maybe out as well

Spurs by 18

boutons_deux
01-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Is this Dirk knee the same one that Manu fell against in 2003 WCFs?

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-14-2011, 01:09 PM
Chandler is maybe out as well

Spurs by 18

Way to stay confident my man

Rummpd
01-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Way to stay confident my man

What is up with Chandler? Just means Ian or someone else will come up huge against the Spurs making it a nail biter again.

DesignatedT
01-14-2011, 03:09 PM
mahinmi lovers will be comin out tonight! Win or Lose well have 10 threads about how we should have kept Yawn if Chandler doesn't play.

Spurs Brazil
01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
After flipping sides in the Interstate-35 rivalry, going from San Antonio to Dallas last offseason, Mahinmi is not ashamed to admit that he’s been rooting against the Spurs no matter who they are playing. No hard feelings against his ex-team. It’s just the business of a rivalry.

“Every night, I’m watching, hoping we can catch them,” Mahinmi said. “It seems like they never lose.”

Mahinmi still counts many of his former teammates as friends. He holds no animosity towards the team brass for dumping him. When the Spurs were in Dallas before New Year’s, Mahinmi joined Gregg Popovich and other Spurs officials for dinner.

“I’m happy for them, that they’re doing good,” Mahinmi added. “But we’re trying to catch them.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/14/a-traitor-mahinmi-roots-against-spurs/

Spurs Brazil
01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Matt Bonner practiced with a black sleeve on his sore right knee, but is expected to be available tonight.

Spurs Brazil
01-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Mavericks power forward Dirk Nowitzki won’t be in uniform for tonight’s Spurs-Mavericks game at AT&T Center.

The 2006-07 Most Valuable player declared after the Mavericks’ morning shootaround that he would miss his ninth consecutive game. The Mavericks are 2-6 since Nowitzki suffered a right knee injury.

Dallas’ starting center, Tyson Chandler, didn’t participate in the shootaround, remaining at the team’s downtown hotel with a sore throat. His availability for the game will be evaluated in the hours before tipoff.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/14/mavs-nowitzki-out-tonight-and-chandlers-ailing/

YoMamaIsCallin
01-14-2011, 05:33 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/14/mavs-nowitzki-out-tonight-and-chandlers-ailing/

Chandler has cedar fever maybe? It's terrible right now.

DesignatedT
01-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Chandler is a little bitch. Dude better get his ass on the court.

DMC
01-14-2011, 06:26 PM
I heard Chandler got salmonella poisoning from getting bad chicken at the KFC.

DMC
01-14-2011, 06:27 PM
I never saw anything in Ian that impressed me, nothing.

awktalk
01-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Dallas’ starting center, Tyson Chandler, didn’t participate in the shootaround, remaining at the team’s downtown hotel with a sore throat.

Maybe he and the Hof had some fun time last night?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/rackthemouse.gif

jjktkk
01-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Maybe he and the Hof had some fun time last night?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/rackthemouse.gif

:lmao, that video never gets old.

Fireball
01-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Oh my god ... Jason Terry is such an idiot

Fireball
01-14-2011, 08:05 PM
... and Pop is hilarious "I'd rather be at dinner than playing the Mavs without Nowitzki"