PDA

View Full Version : Avery Johnson is great

sefant77
01-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Terrence Williams - check

Troy Murphy - check

Brook Lopez - check

Brook Lopez is having a difficult third season with the New Jersey Nets, as new coach Avery Johnson is a lot more demanding, neurotic and less cool than Kiki Vandeweghe. With the Nets narrowly trailing the Suns (a team that features the other Lopez twin, Robin), Bro-pez got into the game, bricked a jumper, and got yanked. This was his reaction on the bench (via Deadspin): "I'm so tired of this guy. F--k him."

When asked about all the Melo talks, Avery responded with:
"I just want a center who can average 10 rebounds a game."
http://www.theknicksblog.com/2011/01/11/video-avery-dreams-of-rebounds-not-melo/

Just took him a few months :lol

DeadlyDynasty
01-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Nobody alienates his own players quite like Avery. He could at least attempt to be subtle (a la PJax) you would think.

4>0rings
01-13-2011, 10:24 PM
lol @ bro-pez

Mel_13
01-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Good thing the Mavs went and got Rick:

Avery:
RS: 194-70 .735
PO: 23-24 .489

Rick:
RS: 131-70 .652
PO: 7-9 .438

greyforest
01-13-2011, 10:40 PM
avery coached a lot more games than i thought he did

Pelicans78
01-13-2011, 10:52 PM
I remember when this clown was interviewing in NOLA thinking he was the favorite. In fact, he was so cocky, he wanted to be head coach and GM. What a turd.

BlackSwordsMan
01-13-2011, 10:59 PM
I remember when this clown was interviewing in NOLA thinking he was the favorite. In fact, he was so cocky, he wanted to be head coach and GM. What a turd.

Blessing in disguise he wasn't hired.

sefant77
01-13-2011, 11:19 PM
He wont less long in NJ....no way.

toki9
01-13-2011, 11:24 PM
He's just a Popovich-wannabe without the sense of humor...or the resume...or the coaching ability...he's just ornery....with Larry Brown's affinity for not liking any player but the ones he trades for...

SenorSpur
01-13-2011, 11:46 PM

Of course, when asked about whether he had indeed made that demand, he conveniently lied as said it wasn't true. Goddamn neurotic control freak. His time away from coaching hasn't taught him a thing. He'll be gone from this job in less than 3 years.

HarlemHeat37
01-13-2011, 11:57 PM
I don't care about Avery, but Lopez is a soft pussy..he's got the lotion on after the shower..

Venti Quattro
01-13-2011, 11:58 PM
I don't care about Avery, but Lopez is a soft pussy..he's got the lotion on after the shower..

You've got a Lebron taking shirt off avatar and now this? Shit how do you know such things

sribb43
01-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Avery ruined Mo Ager's career

sefant77
01-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Avery ruined Josh Howard

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 01:31 AM
They'll trade Lopez for Garnett in a month. Avery will deny ever wanting to make the trade, then refer to Lopez as a son to him, and tell everyone he transformed him into a 20/10 center.

BillWalton
01-14-2011, 01:34 AM

Avery:

Rick:

Avery racked up a ton of wins in 2005 and 2006. Let's not act like the Mavs didn't quit on him or anything. That percentage would've only dropped had he stayed longer. As for Rick Carlisle a .652 winning pct is pretty impressive.

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 01:37 AM

Avery:

Rick:

Avery inherited a stacked team and then ran it into the ground. Carlisle's been trying to keep the thing afloat.

You know that Barry Switzer has a better record as Cowboys HC than Jimmy Johnson, right? Meaning the point you just tried to make is fucking stupid.

HarlemHeat37
01-14-2011, 01:40 AM
:lol Mono, who do you hate more?..Avery Johnson or Eva Longoria?..tbh..

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 01:45 AM
:lol Mono, who do you hate more?..Avery Johnson or Eva Longoria?..tbh..

I don't hate either of them. I just think Eva is way overrated, especially by fat Spurfans, and I think that Avery Johnson is a dishonest piece of shit who demanded Devin Harris be traded and then lied about it to the media after he fucked up the rest of the season and got fired.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 01:45 AM
Avery inherited a stacked team and then ran it into the ground. Carlisle's been trying to keep the thing afloat.

You know that Barry Switzer has a better record as Cowboys HC than Jimmy Johnson, right? Meaning the point you just tried to make is fucking stupid.

:lmao

You just compared Switzer taking over the two-time defending Super Bowl champion to Avery's situation with the Mavs and you call my point stupid?

Please..

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 01:47 AM

You just compared Switzer taking over the two-time defending Super Bowl champion to Avery's situation with the Mavs and you call my point stupid?

Please..

I'm saying Barry Switzer has a better record as head coach of the Cowboys than Jimmy Johnson. By your logic, that means Barry > Jimmy.

BY YOUR OWN FUCKING LOGIC, SHITDICK.

Roddy Beaubois
01-14-2011, 01:47 AM

Avery:

Rick:

just an excellent take.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 01:48 AM
I'm saying Barry Switzer has a better record as head coach of the Cowboys than Jimmy Johnson. By your logic, that means Barry > Jimmy.

BY YOUR OWN FUCKING LOGIC, SHITDICK.

The shitdick logic is your own.

Greg Oden
01-14-2011, 01:50 AM

Please..

:lmao the mavs don't have any rings :lmao

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 01:53 AM
better record = better coach.

Bill Belichick - .633 win percentage
Bill Walsh - .609 win percentage
George Seifert - .648 win percentage

Seifert = GOAT

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 01:54 AM

The shitdick logic is your own.

You just fucking posted head to head records for Avery and Carlisle and claim Avery's better win totals means he's the better coach. You stupid fucking fat beaner.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 01:55 AM
better record = better coach.

Bill Belichick - .633 win percentage
Bill Walsh - .609 win percentage
George Seifert - .648 win percentage

Seifert = GOAT

Your logic, not mine.

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 01:56 AM
Your logic, not mine.

:lmao are you too busy stuffing your fat beaner face with another tamale that you can't even scroll up and read YOUR OWN FUCKING POSTS?

BNSF going so GNSF that he makes GNSF look almost smart in comparison.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 01:58 AM
:lmao are you too busy stuffing your fat beaner face with another tamale that you can't even scroll up and read YOUR OWN FUCKING POSTS?

Yes, indeed. Read the post that provoked your meltdown.

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 02:00 AM

Yes, indeed. Read the post that provoked your meltdown.

:lmao and now you're pulling a lefty. classic GNSF maneuver.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 02:02 AM
:lmao and now you're pulling a lefty. classic GNSF maneuver.

And all you're left with is a series of insults and beaner jokes. Classic MavFan.

jjktkk
01-14-2011, 02:02 AM

You were making some valid points Mono, but then you had throw out the racism shit. WTF? Isn't being a internet tough good enough for you?

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 02:03 AM
You were making some valid points Mono, but then you had throw out the racism shit. WTF? Isn't being a internet tough good enough for you?

It's his go-to move, he really can't help himself.

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 02:04 AM

And all you're left with is a series of insults and beaner jokes. Classic MavFan.

Mavfan!!!!!!!

it's like 2006 all over again!

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 02:05 AM
It's his go-to move, he really can't help himself.

better than posting a retarded point and having no way to back it up.

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 02:05 AM

lol only fat beaners are insulted by the term fat beaner. so I guess we all know what you are now.

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 02:06 AM
carlos mencia says beaner all the time so I thought it was okay tbh.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 02:08 AM
better than posting a retarded point and having no way to back it up.

That's exactly what you did. Truly remarkable.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 02:09 AM

Mavfan!!!!!!!

it's like 2006 all over again!

After all the crap you spewed in this thread, you're bitching about MavFan?

Remarkable.

monosylab1k
That's exactly what you did. Truly remarkable.

:lmao you still haven't done anything to back up your shitdick claim. all you've done is prove you're asshurt over being called a fat beaner :lmao :lmao :lmao

monosylab1k
:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 02:11 AM
:lmao you still haven't done anything to back up your shitdick claim. all you've done is prove you're asshurt over being called a fat beaner :lmao :lmao :lmao

You missed the point at the very beginning, proceeded to resort to a series of insults, and now are simply repeating yourself.

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 02:12 AM

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 02:12 AM
tbh I might have missed the point, as I tend to struggle with people who post retarded takes.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 02:13 AM
tbh I might have missed the point, as I tend to struggle with people who post retarded takes.

Good one. Beaner, retarded, what else you got?

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 02:14 AM
:cry :cry :cry Good one. :cry :cry :cry Beaner, retarded, :cry :cry :cry what else you got? :cry :cry :cry

jjktkk
01-14-2011, 02:14 AM
carlos mencia says beaner all the time so I thought it was okay tbh.

Ahh, I see now. Influenced by TV celebrities. I should of connected the dots with your cartoon avatar.

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 02:15 AM
Ahh, I see now. Influenced by TV celebrities. I should of connected the dots with your cartoon avatar.

Are you still asshurt because I don't wait in line to toss Nolan Ryan's salad every time he makes a shitty move?

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 02:16 AM
Well, you got me with crying smilie. Clever MavFan.

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 02:20 AM
Well, you got me with crying smilie.

apparently so, you felt the need to mention it.

jjktkk
01-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Are you still asshurt because I don't wait in line to toss Nolan Ryan's salad every time he makes a shitty move?

Sorry junior, I don't get "asshurt" on a website for sport related debates. Thats what Spurstalk is intended for. Not for some little kid that has to throw out gay, and racist comments, when he feels threatened. Maybe one day you can debate like a grownup. But continue on junior, its funny when a little twerp starts spewing shit on here. Good entertainment, tbh.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 02:24 AM
apparently so, you felt the need to mention it.

Another good one. You're on a roll.

ClingingMars
01-14-2011, 02:24 AM
Avery was let go for a variety of reasons, but one of them def was the 2007 debacle. Yeah, he got himself to the Finals a year before, but we all know how that ended. And then Carlisle was brought in to fix what Avery did wrong and get the Mavs over the hump. And...well...mono can stomp and moan all he wants, but Rick's playoff record speaks for itself.

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 02:25 AM

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 02:26 AM
Sorry junior, I don't get "asshurt" on a website for sport related debates. Thats what Spurstalk is intended for. Not for some little kid that has to throw out gay, and racist comments, when he feels threatened. Maybe one day you can debate like a grownup. But continue on junior, its funny when a little twerp starts spewing shit on here. Good entertainment, tbh.

If only he could debate like a grown up.....

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 02:26 AM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

jjktkk
01-14-2011, 02:27 AM
Another good one. You're on a roll.

I just hope mommy or daddy don't catch him on the computer and make him go to bed.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 02:27 AM
Avery was let go for a variety of reasons, but one of them def was the 2007 debacle. Yeah, he got himself to the Finals a year before, but we all know how that ended. And then Carlisle was brought in to fix what Avery did wrong and get the Mavs over the hump. And...well...mono can stomp and moan all he wants, but Rick's playoff record speaks for itself.

There you go using facts....

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 02:29 AM
:cry :cry :cry If only he could debate like a grown up..... :cry :cry :cry

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 02:33 AM
Well, he's waved the white flag. My work is done.

BUMP'S GF
01-14-2011, 02:40 AM

koriwhat
01-14-2011, 07:22 AM
typical bs dumbfuck mono... mono's the real deal when it comes to mad skills in the art of copy&paste.

ChuckD
01-14-2011, 08:38 AM
I lost the argument, and will now throw an thread tantrum like a 2 year old.

sefant77
01-14-2011, 09:26 AM

Uh, Avery had mostly a healthy team where the important support cast actually performed most of the time.

Carlisle:

2008 Hornets:
Running again into a hot healthy team and a bad matchup on exactly the two weak spots (quick athletic PG and athletic center). And the #2 and #3 of the team playing either a terrible series (Howard) or a sucking one (Terry).

2009 Nuggets:
#2 playing on two bad ankles and #3 deciding to be useless again in the playoffs. And still, if the refs decided to actually see the obvious foul to give (Wright-Melo) the series goes 2-2.

2010: Spurs
Again the #2 and #3 sucking ass but here you actually can blame him too with not playing Roddy.

Well, for his playoff record i mostly blame the "supporting" cast and not Rick himself.

Greg Oden
01-14-2011, 09:32 AM

Ahh, how nice, The Lakers fans little groupie making a Club forum appearance. I'd figured if anyone would understand, it would be you. When your not slurping on Giuseppe's little smoked sausage, doesn't he order you to get him a juice box form the fridge?

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Uh, Avery had mostly a healthy team.

Carlisle:

2008 Hornets:
Running again into a hot healthy team and a bad matchup on exactly the two weak spots (quick athletic PG and athletic center). And the #2 and #3 of the team playing either a terrible series (Howard) or a sucking one (Terry).

2009 Nuggets:
#2 playing on two bad ankles and #3 deciding to be useless again in the playoffs. And still, if the refs decided to actually see the obvious foul to give (Wright-Melo) the series goes 2-2.

Again the #2 and #3 sucking ass but here you actually can blame him too with not playing Roddy.

Well, for his playoff record i mostly blame the "supporting" cast and not Rick himself.

Actually Carlisle wasn't coach for the New Orleans debacle. That was all on Avery.

But Avery won a bunch more games in the regular season and that's always the final indicator on who the better coach is.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Uh, Avery had mostly a healthy team where the important support cast actually performed most of the time.

Carlisle:

2008 Hornets:

2009 Nuggets:

Classic.

Doesn't even know which team was coached by which coach. So you were willing to give Rick a pass for the failure of the 2008 Mavs? Does that pass apply to the actual coach of the 2008 team?

nkdlunch
01-14-2011, 10:18 AM
well he did take the mavs closer to the obrien than anyone. the choke job in the finals cannot be attributed to him alone especially since after he left the chokejobs continued.

had he gotten a ship to Dallas he would be seen in a more different light no matter what I reckon.

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 10:49 AM

Classic.

Doesn't even know which team was coached by which coach. So you were willing to give Rick a pass for the failure of the 2008 Mavs? Does that pass apply to the actual coach of the 2008 team?

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 10:49 AM
had he gotten a ship to Dallas he would be seen in a more different light no matter what I reckon.

Oh, so are you saying that winning a championship changes your legacy? Really? Well no fucking shit. How long did it take you to think that one up, dumbass?

urunobili
01-14-2011, 10:51 AM
I can't believe they hired him with Devin Harris there...

sefant77
01-14-2011, 12:21 PM

Classic.

Deep in my heart i still pretend the Mavs fired Avery straight after the game where he benched Jason Kidd during crunchtime because he didnt trust him to run HIS play

ElNono
01-14-2011, 03:33 PM
When your superstar tunes out the coach, he has to go. That's what happened with Avery.
I thought he was a decent coach, but he really burn some bridges he shouldn't have, and you can't do that with certain players.

GNSF will now say: "But Pop yells at TD all the time", but Pop also knows how to nurture the confidence of some not-so-strong-minded players too.

Rick is a good coach. Above average in this league, IMO. He's just not in that upper tier though. Neither is Avery really.

Phillip
01-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Rick is a good coach. Above average in this league, IMO.

+1

sometimes it bugs me when mavs fans rag on him so much for his periodic strange desicions, not realizing that anyone who coaches will do that from time to time, whether its pop, phil, larry brown, etc... but overall, ricky c has been a damn solid coach for the Mavs. about the only thing he has done that didnt really make sense was his not wanting to play roddy much, but aside from that, i havent had any major gripes. i like the fact that he doesnt put up with stupid shit from any player, evidenced when he suspended haywood for a game for being a pussy, and the time he made Dirk come off the bench for being late for a team meeting or whatever it was. he wants his guys to know that they are all accountable for mistakes and fuckups, and that they need to be mentally strong for whatever situations they come across and that winning is the #1 goal.

at the same time, you can tell the players seem to like him and have plenty of respect for him, and he likewise is a guy who will be there and stick up for his guys.

ElNono
01-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Falling in love with JJ Barea is possibly his weakest decision, but then all good coaches have proteges like that: Phil & Walton, Pop & Bonner, Larry Brown & anybody older than 40, etc.

I was greatly impressed with the Mavs D when the season started, and that's all on Rick.

Pelicans78
01-14-2011, 07:36 PM
RC is ok, but I really think he did a poor job in the playoffs last season. Really didn't know how to match up with the Spurs. He's a good coach, but I'm not too high on him.