PDA

View Full Version : DX: Differential: the over-confidence vs. more thoughtful/anxious Laker fans

Rummpd
01-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Lakers fans and trolls fall into two general categories based on distinct signs and symptoms - which one are you?

1) the over-confident group: These Lakers fans pathologically fail to realize that except for some fortuitious breaks like tip ins and/or health issues with other contending teams that the 2009 and 2010 teams are simply not as dominant or potentially scary to other contenders as Shaq and Kobe or certainly the potential of a Kobe/Shaq in their primes + two Hall of Fame worthy players in Malone and Payton. They like all savy fans know that the Lakers team are a deep, well coached- and talented team that could still win West and the Title. However, these fans fail time and time again to recognize that this curent Lakers' team has major continuing issues that include Kobe's knees, Artest's irregular play and Fisher's age and the inability to stop any top tier point guard, Gasol's fatigue issue, the minutes the stars have had to play due to the propensity for Bynum to get hurt and/or heal slowly. Plus the off-season additions simply do not look as good at this time of year as those that the Mavs/Spurs/Heat/Boston or Orlando have picked up. These fans are signficantly over-confident in their Laker's potential for success and discount both the "statistical" paramaters and the "eye ball" tests that these Lakers have deficiencies that do not lock them into a title for sure, especially when an other multichampionshipistic team in the West is looking back down on them at 33 and 6.

2) the more realistic/anxious group: These fans are more subtle and harder to recognize as like the above group, they often start threads about any perceived deficiency of the Spurs/Mavs and/or any other team that has a better record or has mauled the Lakers badly head to head this year "as its just the regular season" and on the surface appear to be part of the over-confident group. However, unlike the first group, they are more adept at using more advanced thought process and back their ascertains with facts and/or statistics or at least a solid arguement. More importantly, they will when called out or challenged about the veracity of their facts will (on at least on some occassions) recognize and admit that the Lakers have potential flaws and that they are not a lock to win the title and/or the West. Some of them just cover for anxiety with their posts but are realistic, fair minded and loyal NBA fans. As such, these loyal and thoughtful (albeit rarer) fans deserve respect although some of them will of course not grant any back.

Dear Lakers fans - which one are you?

Giuseppe
01-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Doc, I never quantify, nor defend my fandom. It's my religion.

I just tote up the cyphers. And as far as this Forum goes, it's:

Kobe: 5

Duncan: 4

BUMP
01-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Giuseppe

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 10:24 AM

:lmao

Posting to say you don't defend or quantify, then proceeding to defend and quantify.

That's Cully.

vy65
01-14-2011, 10:29 AM

http://www.wilmott.com/blogs/eman/enclosures/golden_calf.jpg

WeNeedLength
01-14-2011, 10:38 AM

He fell right into that trap... :lmao:lmao

Giuseppe
01-14-2011, 10:52 AM
:lmao

Posting to say you don't defend or quantify, then proceeding to defend and quantify.

That's Cully.

Well, I meant qualify instead of quantify.

Giuseppe
01-14-2011, 10:53 AM
He fell right into that trap... :lmao:lmao

Still & all, it's:::

monosylab1k
01-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Lakers fans and trolls fall into two general categories based on distinct signs and symptoms - which one are you?

1) the over-confident group: These Lakers fans pathologically fail to realize that except for some fortuitious breaks like tip ins and/or health issues with other contending teams that the 2009 and 2010 teams are simply not as dominant or potentially scary to other contenders as Shaq and Kobe or certainly the potential of a Kobe/Shaq in their primes + two Hall of Fame worthy players in Malone and Payton. They like all savy fans know that the Lakers team are a deep, well coached- and talented team that could still win West and the Title. However, these fans fail time and time again to recognize that this curent Lakers' team has major continuing issues that include Kobe's knees, Artest's irregular play and Fisher's age and the inability to stop any top tier point guard, Gasol's fatigue issue, the minutes the stars have had to play due to the propensity for Bynum to get hurt and/or heal slowly. Plus the off-season additions simply do not look as good at this time of year as those that the Mavs/Spurs/Heat/Boston or Orlando have picked up. These fans are signficantly over-confident in their Laker's potential for success and discount both the "statistical" paramaters and the "eye ball" tests that these Lakers have deficiencies that do not lock them into a title for sure, especially when an other multichampionshipistic team in the West is looking back down on them at 33 and 6.

2) the more realistic/anxious group: These fans are more subtle and harder to recognize as like the above group, they often start threads about any perceived deficiency of the Spurs/Mavs and/or any other team that has a better record or has mauled the Lakers badly head to head this year "as its just the regular season" and on the surface appear to be part of the over-confident group. However, unlike the first group, they are more adept at using more advanced thought process and back their ascertains with facts and/or statistics or at least a solid arguement. More importantly, they will when called out or challenged about the veracity of their facts will (on at least on some occassions) recognize and admit that the Lakers have potential flaws and that they are not a lock to win the title and/or the West. Some of them just cover for anxiety with their posts but are realistic, fair minded and loyal NBA fans. As such, these loyal and thoughtful (albeit rarer) fans deserve respect although some of them will of course not grant any back.

So let me translate the above message for anyone who isn't fluent in GNSF.

Laker fans who think the Lakers will beat the Spurs in the playoffs = overconfident and delusional

Laker fans who think the Spurs will beat the Lakers in the playoffs = smart, realistic, and fair minded

WeNeedLength
01-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Still & all, it's:::

Nice come back fucktard.
Keep trying. :lol

Ace
01-14-2011, 11:23 AM
So let me translate the above message for anyone who isn't fluent in GNSF.

Laker fans who think the Lakers will beat the Spurs in the playoffs = overconfident and delusional

Laker fans who think the Spurs will beat the Lakers in the playoffs = smart, realistic, and fair minded

:lmao Classic Spur fan

The Gemini Method
01-14-2011, 11:27 AM
yawn

Venti Quattro
01-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Why do you need to classify us? Are you the fucking Nazis?

history2b
01-14-2011, 02:11 PM

Delusional Disorder...

look it up and get professional help immediately.

Rummpd
01-14-2011, 02:56 PM
It was a joke people! Why all the venom?

I actually respect the great majority fans of the NBA as long as they do not get too personal and many of you are very knowledgeable, realistic and have in the case of the LAL good reasons to be confident based on past history and the talent on your team (i.e. group II above) but we will see how it all plays out this season - which is at least interesting as the LAL are not running away with the WC as many experts predicted.

LOL to those wrong pre-season experts.

midnightpulp
01-14-2011, 11:41 PM
From my experience, most Lakers fans do fall into two general categories, but not the ones you have suggested. Lakers fans are usually welfare collectors or illegal immigrants. And if they're smart enough to manipulate the system, they can straddle both categories, being both a leech and a beaner.

ezau
01-14-2011, 11:45 PM

Horry>Kobe

cobbler
01-14-2011, 11:50 PM
And yet we support the highest payroll in the NBA with the highest ticket prices.

midnightpulp
01-14-2011, 11:54 PM
And yet we support the highest payroll in the NBA with the highest ticket prices.

Because of bandwagoning faggot celebrities like David Beckham, Denzel Washington (lol wearing a Yankees cap in LA), and the like.

cobbler
01-15-2011, 12:06 AM
generalize much?