PDA

View Full Version : Bucher Chat - Splitter

Bandit2981
01-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Interesting

Tim (Louisville)

Do you know why Tiago Splitter isn't getting any playing time?

Ric Bucher (1:34 PM)

It's essentially this: the Spurs are playing faster and need as much athleticism next to Tim Duncan as they can find. Splitter isn't nearly as agile as DeJuan or as good attacking the offensive glass. They're not the old Spurs, winning with defense. They're more like the Suns than they've ever been -- and winning with it.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/36447

boutons_deux
01-14-2011, 02:30 PM
DJB is agile? :)

itzsoweezee
01-14-2011, 02:36 PM
DJB is agile? :)

of course he is. definitely more so than splitter.

Chomag
01-14-2011, 02:40 PM
LOL @ 3 years at waiting for a replacment for Ian's spot on the bench.

Duncan2177
01-14-2011, 02:43 PM
What a waste.

Dr. Gonzo
01-14-2011, 02:45 PM
What a waste.

I know. If Splitter was playing the Spurs could have the best record in the NBA.

Bandit2981
01-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Do you think if Splitter had been able to go through all of training camp without injury he would still be in the same bench seat? I think that is what hurt him the most, Pop probably doesn't feel he has the "corporate knowledge" that McDyess has at the moment and has less trust in him.

underdawg
01-14-2011, 02:49 PM
I know. If Splitter was playing the Spurs could have the best record in the NBA.

yep, best records win championships

Pero
01-14-2011, 02:49 PM
They're more like the Suns than they've ever been -- and winning with it.

Yeah, till playoff time.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Do you think if Splitter had been able to go through all of training camp without injury he would still be in the same bench seat? I think that is what hurt him the most, Pop probably doesn't feel he has the "corporate knowledge" that McDyess has at the moment and has less trust in him.

It's all speculation at this point, but missing camp and the preseason certainly hasn't advanced Tiago's case for playing time. I had been hopeful that we would see an increase in PT between the beginning of January and the All Star break, but now I think it will take an injury to promote him from his current roles as towel waver and human victory cigar.

alchemist
01-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Ric Bucher
:(

Whisky Dog
01-14-2011, 02:55 PM
I do have that fear that this team is the '05 Suns - playing a style that is dominating the regular season but will get exposed by a team with length and power up front in a 7 game series.

itzsoweezee
01-14-2011, 02:57 PM

I'm sure that's the real reason Splitter isn't playing; it has nothing to do with his lack of agility.

Popovich is just so enamored with himself, he really believes that success lives or dies with how well the players know his "system." Now, i'm not saying his "system" doesn't matter at all, but players win games, not coaches.

K-State Spur
01-14-2011, 02:58 PM
last year, people were complaining about blair not getting regular PT. now that he gets it, people are complaining about splitter.

maybe you'd rather it come instead of mcdyess or (especially) bonner - but both of those guys are playing their roles too well right now to criticize their minutes.

TimDunkem
01-14-2011, 03:00 PM
What a waste.

This is off-topic, but....nice avatar. The "Dollars" movies are some of my favorite films ever. :toast

Rummpd
01-14-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm sure that's the real reason Splitter isn't playing; it has nothing to do with his lack of agility.

Popovich is just so enamored with himself, he really believes that success lives or dies with how well the players know his "system." Now, i'm not saying his "system" doesn't matter at all, but players win games, not coaches.

Yeh Blair gets a lot of run too - seems some nights the better he plays early on as well the more he also waves the towels at the end while teams rebound like crazy against the Spurs to keep the games competitive.

Solid D
01-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Bucher's opinion.
It seems to me that Dice is a better option in Pop's mind.

Duncan2177
01-14-2011, 03:04 PM

It's a waste because the team spent quite a bit of money to bring him here and he hardly plays.

tp2021
01-14-2011, 03:05 PM
I have a feeling the All-Star break will include a mini training camp for Tiago. Pop has given up on trying to force him to learn during game time, so he's just gonna shut it down until the break, at which point he'll have enough time to ingrain in him whatever he has failed to show thus far. And then, he will start getting minutes off the bench until he ultimately is our starting center.

Or, none of those things will happen. :lol

TimmehC
01-14-2011, 03:10 PM
If what Bucher said was true, Tiago would be Tim's primary backup. It's really an issue where 4 other bigs know all the nuances of Pop's schemes, and where they need to be at all times, and Tiago doesn't. That's it.

cheguevara
01-14-2011, 03:24 PM
What a waste.

dunkman
01-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Pop's the best coach in the game.

cheguevara
01-14-2011, 03:26 PM
goddam what a failure this is gonna be if we flame out like the Suns in the PO

tdunk21
01-14-2011, 03:29 PM

wicked burn

tdunk21
01-14-2011, 03:32 PM
It's a waste because the team spent quite a bit of money to bring him here and he hardly plays.

whats to complain when we are winning man....u try different probabilities and different lineups when loosing games....maybe tiago sucks in practice....maybe tiago is a slow learner...

Dr. Gonzo
01-14-2011, 03:46 PM
whats to complain when we are winning man....u try different probabilities and different lineups when loosing games....maybe tiago sucks in practice....maybe tiago is a slow learner...

practice :rolleyes

Chomag
01-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Ask Cleveland how much having the best record in the league mattered come play-off time last season.

K-State Spur
01-14-2011, 03:52 PM

true, and since he's a free agent and is gone after this season - it will never pay off.

K-State Spur
01-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Ask Cleveland how much having the best record in the league mattered come play-off time last season.

pop or mike brown have a better idea of how to build a team for the postseason?

besides, it's not like Manu is just going to quit on the Spurs halfway through a series, then take his talents to the beach afterwards.

ElNono
01-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Bucher's opinion.
It seems to me that Dice is a better option in Pop's mind.

This. If Dice can get playing time, then lack of quick feet isn't really the problem (plus I disagree that Tiago is slow footed).

PBEEZY
01-14-2011, 04:08 PM
pop or mike brown have a better idea of how to build a team for the postseason?

besides, it's not like Manu is just going to quit on the Spurs halfway through a series, then take his talents to the beach afterwards.

I LOL'd

EVAY
01-14-2011, 04:10 PM
I have a feeling the All-Star break will include a mini training camp for Tiago. Pop has given up on trying to force him to learn during game time, so he's just gonna shut it down until the break, at which point he'll have enough time to ingrain in him whatever he has failed to show thus far. And then, he will start getting minutes off the bench until he ultimately is our starting center.

Or, none of those things will happen. :lol

:toast You broke the code!!!

Mugen
01-14-2011, 04:10 PM
i dont think Dejuan is necessarily a better fit for the Spurs new uptempo style of play.

His clear advantages to Splitter are his offensive rebounding and chemistry with Duncan.

But with playing time, i feel like Tiago would become the better fit for the first unit with his superior defense and better pick and roll ability with TP.

All of the complaints people have had with Tiago could be greatly remedied simply by throwing him out there and letting him learn through experience.

too bad for his coach tho.

Rummpd
01-14-2011, 04:12 PM
I would just once love to see the Spurs go big with Duncan, Splitter and since Pop is so friggin in love with him Bonner/or better yet Dice when the Spurs go against the bigger and slower teams.

On the other hand Pop might just be saving something for when it really matters and may play Splitter more after the all star break - with Pop you just never know.

Rummpd
01-14-2011, 04:13 PM
:toast You broke the code!!!

I did not see these right on posts but totally agree with Pop who the hell knows?

easjer
01-14-2011, 04:25 PM
goddam what a failure this is gonna be if we flame out like the Suns in the PO

Well, if that is the only thing you focus on, probably. If you aren't deriving any pleasure at all from this season, you are setting yourself up. 29 teams are not going to win.

Is it really impossible to just enjoy the ride?

Mugen
01-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Well, if that is the only thing you focus on, probably. If you aren't deriving any pleasure at all from this season, you are setting yourself up. 29 teams are not going to win.

Is it really impossible to just enjoy the ride?

not if the ride ends in a fiery crash, tbh.

ohmwrecker
01-14-2011, 04:40 PM
I think the main reason for limiting Splitter's minutes is that the Spurs are having success without him. Pop trusts Bonner and McDyess more because they know where they are supposed to be rotationaly. Blair, for his size, is very agile and quick. He is still not as ingrained in the system and makes more errors because of it, but his energy is what is keeping him in the starting lineup and part of the rotation.
I agree that Splitter missing training camp is hurting him right now. He is basically auditioning whenever he sees the floor. I am sure Pop can see his potential as well as any poster on Spurstalk and, conversely realizes his limitations more so than anybody.
The Spurs did not invest all this time and payroll wrangling for Tiago to sit on the bench. They want him on the floor and contributing as much as anyone, but the goal is winning games and that what the Spurs are doing.
Hopefully, he is improving and growing more confident in ways that aren't blatantly clear to the average fan. I still think Tiago will get an opportunity to contribute this year, but it is clear he will have to earn it by showing more than just flashes of being a solid NBA player.

As far as this "new Suns" bullshit goes. The Spurs have what those Suns teams never had. A core group of players who have been there and won at the highest level together. And, that, friends . . . is the difference maker.

rmt
01-14-2011, 04:49 PM
I think that is what hurt him the most, Pop probably doesn't feel he has the "corporate knowledge"

IfIt's really an issue where 4 other bigs know all the nuances of Pop's schemes, and where they need to be at all times, and Tiago doesn't. That's it.

I do have that fear that this team is the '05 Suns - playing a style that is dominating the regular season but will get exposed by a team with length and power up front in a 7 game series.

To me, it smacks of arrogance that Pop would think that his system is so important that a talented 7fter (not a "real" rookie as Blair/Hill were) is rotting on the bench racking up DNPs - Coach's Decision. It's not like Nazr didn't help the Spurs win a championship coming to the Spurs after the ASB without any "corporate knowledge." Don't know if the Spurs would have won without his size and length against the Pistons. And guess what, Gasol/Bynum are a lot taller, longer and offensively-talented than Wallace x2. Getting out of the West means going through LA, and God forbid that we're resting our hopes on Bonner/Blair against Gasol/Bynum. I'm happy with Dice (against smaller players) but he can't play major minutes.

true, and since he's a free agent and is gone after this season - it will never pay off.

Splitter might be so disgusted with sitting on the bench for a whole year that he might just go elsewhere when his contract is done.

my2sons
01-14-2011, 05:05 PM
or maybe its the same old first year in the spurs system. pop said don't expect superstar and wait til year two to throw someone under the bus...I still say he will impact down the stretch of the season going into the playoffs. He shows signs and all anybody seems to look for is the mistakes

YoMamaIsCallin
01-14-2011, 05:07 PM

Did you ever hear D'Antoni, in his postgame press conference, start off by saying his team played the worst defense he's seen all year?

rmt
01-14-2011, 05:12 PM
I think the main reason for limiting Splitter's minutes is that the Spurs are having success without him. Pop trusts Bonner and McDyess more because they know where they are supposed to be rotationaly. Blair, for his size, is very agile and quick. He is still not as ingrained in the system and makes more errors because of it, but his energy is what is keeping him in the starting lineup and part of the rotation.
I agree that Splitter missing training camp is hurting him right now. He is basically auditioning whenever he sees the floor. I am sure Pop can see his potential as well as any poster on Spurstalk and, conversely realizes his limitations more so than anybody.
The Spurs did not invest all this time and payroll wrangling for Tiago to sit on the bench. They want him on the floor and contributing as much as anyone, but the goal is winning games and that what the Spurs are doing.
Hopefully, he is improving and growing more confident in ways that aren't blatantly clear to the average fan. I still think Tiago will get an opportunity to contribute this year, but it is clear he will have to earn it by showing more than just flashes of being a solid NBA player.

As far as this "new Suns" bullshit goes. The Spurs have what those Suns teams never had. A core group of players who have been there and won at the highest level together. And, that, friends . . . is the difference maker.

Splitter can learn to be where he's supposed to be rotationally with PT. Don't think he can show anything if the only PT he gets is with Quinn/Udoka/non-play makers. Bonner wouldn't either as he needs to be set up.

Respectfully disagree. The main goal is to win the championship - not to win regular season games. This means being able to play defense and match up with the elite contenders such as LA and BOS. The difference against the Suns was that the Spurs would play defense against the Suns and they wouldn't.

wontstartdumbthreads
01-14-2011, 05:16 PM
but now I think it will take an injury to promote him from his current roles as towel waver and human victory cigar.

I bet RJ perked his ears at that comment.

ohmwrecker
01-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Splitter can learn to be where he's supposed to be rotationally with PT. Don't think he can show anything if the only PT he gets is with Quinn/Udoka/non-play makers. Bonner wouldn't either as he needs to be set up.
They do practice, you know . . . and Splitter has played with the top rotation players as much as he has played with the bottom of the bench.
And, Bonner, for as much shit as he gets around here and as limited as he is athletically, knows where he is supposed to be for the most part.

Respectfully disagree. The main goal is to win the championship - not to win regular season games. This means being able to play defense and match up with the elite contenders such as LA and BOS. The difference against the Suns was that the Spurs would play defense against the Suns and they wouldn't.

Regular season wins = HCA and that will be a huge difference maker as to how far the Spurs will go in the playoffs. The Spurs do emphasize defense. Do you ever pay attention to Pop's post-game comments? When every single player is asked what they need to improve on, the answer is defense. Do you think the Spurs are satisfied simply out scoring their opponents?

DeadlyDynasty
01-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Buch's just saying what everyone's thinking

antgomez2009
01-14-2011, 05:50 PM
He'll come in handy sooner or later...right now he is overwhelmed by the linguring season and change of game in all aspects!! ...that just shows how deep and healthy the spurs are too....

Budkin
01-14-2011, 05:57 PM
The guy was a fucking MVP of the ACB... why the hell is he pine'd?

rmt
01-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Splitter has played with the top rotation players as much as he has played with the bottom of the bench.

Totally disagree with this. Except for the (was it?) Cleveland game, he's pretty much the human cigar - playing mostly in garbage time.

And, Bonner, for as much shit as he gets around here and as limited as he is athletically, knows where he is supposed to be for the most part.

I would hope he knows where to be after 4 years with the Spurs.

Regular season wins = HCA and that will be a huge difference maker as to how far the Spurs will go in the playoffs. The Spurs do emphasize defense. Do you ever pay attention to Pop's post-game comments? When every single player is asked what they need to improve on, the answer is defense. Do you think the Spurs are satisfied simply out scoring their opponents?

I agree that HCA is more important this year than other years. But with the injury to Caron Butler, the free-fall that the Mavs are in now and if they cannot replace Butler, HCA will not be as important as pre-Butler-injury. The Mavs should not be as much a threat to both SA and LA where a semi-final battle would threaten either's chance in the WCF.

HCA for LA against SA is not that important as their core has won 2 championships together. Their frontline is so much better than the entire league's and especially so against SA where beyond Duncan, it's a weakness that as long as Kobe doesn't go into chuck-mode, they'll probably win.

As I recall, HCA without defense, didn't do the high-scoring Suns a bit of good in 05 or 07. Pop should play Splitter so that he will have another option should Bonner/Blair flame-out in the playoffs or in case of injury to Bonner/Blair/Dice.

greyforest
01-14-2011, 06:33 PM
i'd like to see more playing time for splitter. i would like to see splitter take more of mcdyess's minutes. dyess is a vet - shows up huge come playoffs, knows the system, etc etc. splitter is a rook and needs playing time to incorporate to the system. splitter may not get playoff minutes this year, but it's the middle of the regular season already and he's had very little playing time. the spurs also have a comfortable record.

splitter appears to be very patient so far, which is lucky for us. i really don't want to see this team lose him before his potential is shown.

underdawg
01-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Tiago is more like the new oberto. Fabio hardly played his rookie year and started his second year.

only problem is that these 3 might only have one common, healthy year left and if that's the case next year doesn't help.

It would be a shame to get to the playoffs with a healthy Timmy, Manu and Tony to find out that our front court is overwhelmed and ineffective.

I'm sure Pop knows what he's doing, but it just seems we've had a tough time winning in the playoffs with small ball and not going with 2 legit bigs.

Seventyniner
01-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Tiago is more like the new oberto. Fabio hardly played his rookie year and started his second year.

rmt
01-14-2011, 07:22 PM
only problem is that these 3 might only have one common, healthy year left and if that's the case next year doesn't help.

It would be a shame to get to the playoffs with a healthy Timmy, Manu and Tony to find out that our front court is overwhelmed and ineffective.

I'm sure Pop knows what he's doing, but it just seems we've had a tough time winning in the playoffs with small ball and not going with 2 legit bigs.

Yep. Manu, TP and (Splitter?) will be playing with their NTs this summer. Then 2012 is the Olympics.

Killakobe81
01-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Most of the time it's not until the second year that players "get" Pop's system ...you guys KNOW this.Next year you will see BIG improvement. Yes, Neal and Rojer mason before him contributed right away but they are just spot up shooters that live off of what Manu, tony and tim create ...

jjktkk
01-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Most of the time it's not until the second year that players "get" Pop's system ...you guys KNOW this.Next year you will see BIG improvement. Yes, Neal and Rojer mason before him contributed right away but they are just spot up shooters that live off of what Manu, tony and tim create ...

The problem is alot of Spurs fans have been waiting for Splitter's arrival, thinking he will be the 2nd bigman next to Duncan and were hoping Splitter would at least be in the rotation by now.

Capt Bringdown
01-14-2011, 07:47 PM

This is the biggest source of my frustration - the idea that we can just keep doing as we've done in the past, with no sense of urgency or awareness that we'll never be in this position again.
Wait until next year? Not an option IMO.

SenorSpur
01-15-2011, 11:07 PM
i dont think Dejuan is necessarily a better fit for the Spurs new uptempo style of play.

His clear advantages to Splitter are his offensive rebounding and chemistry with Duncan.
But with playing time, i feel like Tiago would become the better fit for the first unit with his superior defense and better pick and roll ability with TP.

All of the complaints people have had with Tiago could be greatly remedied simply by throwing him out there and letting him learn through experience.

too bad for his coach tho.

Don't forget Blair adeptness at passing the ball. He could very well be the best passing big on the team.

lrrr
01-15-2011, 11:24 PM
I still think Splitter will get more minutes after the ASB. Everyone knows it, the Spurs would benefit from more size up front. Pop knows it too, and he knew it in '05. How much 'corporate knowledge' does a guy really need? Nazr came in mid season, started and helped them win the 'ship against a really formidable Pistons team.

BlairForceDejuan
01-15-2011, 11:27 PM

Neal is more than a spot up shooter. But yea, I've already come to terms with the reality that Splitter will barely play this season :depressed

Juanobili
01-16-2011, 02:31 AM
Fuck... I can only imagine the meltdowns going on if we had a shitty record. But we don't...

but yeah, I would like to see Splitter more.. too bad he doesn't have much to show when he DOES get time

DrSteffo
01-16-2011, 06:09 AM

Good post.

ChuckD
01-16-2011, 12:49 PM

He makes $3M per year, about half the average NBA salary.

ploto
01-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Oberto's starting came only after the exit of other players through free agency and trade. I do not think Blair and Bonner are going anywhere. As long as Blair fights for rebounds, especially offensive ones, Pop will start him.

Most of the time it's not until the second year that players "get" Pop's system ...you guys KNOW this.

This has become my favorite SpursTalk false claim, first perpetrated because Nazr had a low BB IQ.

Mel_13
01-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Oberto's starting came only after the exit of other players through free agency and trade. I do not think Blair and Bonner are going anywhere. As long as Blair fights for rebounds, especially offensive ones, Pop will start him.

Antonio McDyess' retirement says hello.