PDA

View Full Version : I qualify for WIC... am I poor, or is WIC too generous?

LnGrrrR
01-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Hey all,

So, in a bit of happy news, I found out that my family, barring any disasters, will be increased by one about 7 1/2 months from now.

My wife and I went to the counseling section, and they said we qualify for WIC. I was surprised, quite frankly.

I will (eventually) be sewing on E-6, sometime in the next few months. I also will be at my 12 year mark in August. Once this happens, my pay will be 3382 a month. (This isn't counting Basic Allowance for Housing, Basic Allowance for Subsistence, which are non-taxable or Cost of Living Adjustment, which is taxable.)

According to the chart on this page, http://hawaii.gov/health/family-child-health/wic/webdraft.html, I would qualify (family of four, making less than $3,910 monthly).

Now, I feel I make a fairly decent wage (the soon-to-be 3382 a month, plus $1k roughly adding BAS/COLA (I live on-base, it'd be an extra $2k if I didn't). Am I "lucky" to qualify for WIC because they don't add BAH/COLA to my monthly pay qualifier? Or am I actually lower-middle class? Or is WIC just set too high?

I don't plan on taking it, because we are secure financially and I think WIC should be reserved for those who truly need it. I'm just wondering what you guys think of the issue.

TeyshaBlue
01-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Hey all,

So, in a bit of happy news, I found out that my family, barring any disasters, will be increased by one about 7 1/2 months from now.

My wife and I went to the counseling section, and they said we qualify for WIC. I was surprised, quite frankly.

I will (eventually) be sewing on E-6, sometime in the next few months. I also will be at my 12 year mark in August. Once this happens, my pay will be 3382 a month. (This isn't counting Basic Allowance for Housing, Basic Allowance for Subsistence, which are non-taxable or Cost of Living Adjustment, which is taxable.)

According to the chart on this page, http://hawaii.gov/health/family-child-health/wic/webdraft.html, I would qualify (family of four, making less than $3,910 monthly).

Now, I feel I make a fairly decent wage (the soon-to-be 3382 a month, plus $1k roughly adding BAS/COLA (I live on-base, it'd be an extra $2k if I didn't). Am I "lucky" to qualify for WIC because they don't add BAH/COLA to my monthly pay qualifier? Or am I actually lower-middle class? Or is WIC just set too high?

I don't plan on taking it, because we are secure financially and I think WIC should be reserved for those who truly need it. I'm just wondering what you guys think of the issue.

I agree with your approach. If you don't need it, don't take it. There have been times in my life where I've qualified for food stamps. But damn, man. They just taste horrible.

TeyshaBlue
01-14-2011, 02:55 PM
And if you ever find the guy that knocked up yer wife, kick his ass.:lol

Congrats, dude.:toast

RandomGuy
01-14-2011, 03:12 PM
You are not poor, but you can be in need of help and not be technically "poor".

I think your approach is right. If you don't need it, then pass on it.

I don't think the program is too generous, and would rather err on the side of a bit of waste when it comes to nutrition for pregnant/nursing women and small children, simply because the costs of malnutrition are probably much higher.

RandomGuy
01-14-2011, 03:13 PM
... and contrats as well on #2.

Ready to not get enough sleep for another 2 or 3 years?

phxspurfan
01-14-2011, 03:27 PM
If you have any morals, you wouldn't take it. It sounds like you do, so cool beans.

Also, how in the hell do they pay out so much? Did you just write you would get almost 41k/year (~3400/mo) PLUS money to buy food and housing? WTF? I make more than twice that and end up the same after the govt taxes my ass. I'm not one to complain about the system for the poor, but damn I wished I hadn't seen those #s.

phxspurfan
01-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Btw some dept directors and bank managers make 41k/year. Just sayin'. They are responsible for whole departments and millions of dollars in quarterly revenue. And they don't get their houses and food paid for.

ChumpDumper
01-14-2011, 03:59 PM
I can see your qualifying in Hawaii; maybe not other states.

RandomGuy
01-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Btw some dept directors and bank managers make 41k/year. Just sayin'. They are responsible for whole departments and millions of dollars in quarterly revenue. And they don't get their houses and food paid for.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Bank_Manager/Salary

seems like a shitty retail-style job. Big money is in the executive, as always.

MannyIsGod
01-14-2011, 04:14 PM
I can see your qualifying in Hawaii; maybe not other states.

California too, more than likely.

Under 40k for a family of four isn't living high on the hog but I don't consider it poor either. In a place like San Antonio you could live easily on that, but other places with higher costs of living it would definitely be more of a strain.

That being said, LG does qualify for free housing with the military so thats a big plus on being able to save money (assuming you live on base) in a place where the cost of living is so high.

I don't know if I agree with the "if you don't need it don't take it" statements, though. I understand the sentiment behind them but the fact of the matter is that you had better get what you can out of tax dollars because those better off than you are going to do so. The rich work the system far more than the poor in our nation and thats part of the mindset that makes them rich. You pay taxes, you serve in the military, so I don't see a damn thing wrong with you using the government programs that are made available to you. If you want to feel like you're doing something good with the money, put the savings towards a kids college fund or something similar.

In fact, I think thats exactly what you should do.

ElNono
01-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Hey all,

Could you repeat that in English? :lol

Actually nevermind, and congrats on the family getting bigger :tu

EVAY
01-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Congratulations, LGR!, on both things...having a baby and having the moral gumption NOT to say "just because it is there for the taking I'm gonna take it."

You should be proud of yourself!

LnGrrrR
01-14-2011, 05:17 PM
And if you ever find the guy that knocked up yer wife, kick his ass.:lol

Congrats, dude.:toast

I'm on the lookout! Some eyewitnesses say he's around 6' tall, kinda goofy-looking, and is known to be nerdy. I've got my eyes peeled... :lol

LnGrrrR
01-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Could you repeat that in English? :lol

Actually nevermind, and congrats on the family getting bigger :tu

I know, lots of parentheses. :D I'll break it down.

Either I'm poor, or WIC is too generous. :lol

LnGrrrR
01-14-2011, 05:18 PM
... and contrats as well on #2.

Ready to not get enough sleep for another 2 or 3 years?

*slamming head into wall*

LnGrrrR
01-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Also, how in the hell do they pay out so much? Did you just write you would get almost 41k/year (~3400/mo) PLUS money to buy food and housing? WTF? I make more than twice that and end up the same after the govt taxes my ass. I'm not one to complain about the system for the poor, but damn I wished I hadn't seen those #s.

Active military gets BAS and BAH. Since I live in Hawaii, I also get COLA. All total, those add up to roughly 3K a month, on top of my normal monthly salary. (Note: I'm not actually getting paid the 2k though, since I live on-base.)

And the amount I put was the qualifying number.. .if you make less than that per year, then you qualify for WIC.

LnGrrrR
01-14-2011, 05:21 PM

Said bank managers also aren't deploying to remote countries for 6 mos at a time either though. :lol

LnGrrrR
01-14-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't know if I agree with the "if you don't need it don't take it" statements, though. I understand the sentiment behind them but the fact of the matter is that you had better get what you can out of tax dollars because those better off than you are going to do so. The rich work the system far more than the poor in our nation and thats part of the mindset that makes them rich. You pay taxes, you serve in the military, so I don't see a damn thing wrong with you using the government programs that are made available to you. If you want to feel like you're doing something good with the money, put the savings towards a kids college fund or something similar.

In fact, I think thats exactly what you should do.

I understand the sentiment, but I'm not a big believer in the whole "If other people are doing it, you should too." Plus, I try to live off my own works as best as I can, and absolutely detest borrowing/receiving money if I can afford it myself.

TeyshaBlue
01-14-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm on the lookout! Some eyewitnesses say he's around 6' tall, kinda goofy-looking, and is known to be nerdy. I've got my eyes peeled... :lol

Eyewitnesses? :wow:eyebrows

LnGrrrR
01-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Eyewitnesses? :wow:eyebrows

:lol Well... her and me...

Yonivore
01-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Hey all,

Congratulations. I pray for you a healthy happy baby in 7 1/2 months.

Don't take the handout. If your pay increases, you will eventually get to the point where you don't qualify and it will be like a cut in pay.

There was an article a couple of weeks ago that demonstrated where a family making just above the level where they would be eligible was about $10,000 behind another family making about $40,000 less (I may be misremembering the numbers).

What it amounted to was that the family making less, was eligible for so much free government handouts that that it added up to an equivalent income above the family that was not eligible.

That's one of my biggest heart burns over entitlements.

Blake
01-14-2011, 06:05 PM

I would take it myself, but I applaud your moral tepitude.

LnGrrrR
01-14-2011, 07:35 PM
I would take it myself, but I applaud your moral tepitude.

Eh, it's stubbornness and stupid pride as much as morals. :)

thispego
01-14-2011, 07:57 PM
hopefully this baby comes out normal looking! :toast

thispego
01-14-2011, 08:00 PM
I understand the sentiment, but I'm not a big believer in the whole "If other people are doing it, you should too." Plus, I try to live off my own works as best as I can, and absolutely detest borrowing/receiving money if I can afford it myself.

thats why you're the sucker and you're in the military. You people show me how dumb you are on a daily basis :lol

LnGrrrR
01-14-2011, 08:24 PM
thats why you're the sucker and you're in the military. You people show me how dumb you are on a daily basis :lol

That's why I'm glad I'm defending this country and you're not :toast

Getting free education, healthcare, travel and a lifetime pension at 37 years old = sucker :lol

thispego
01-14-2011, 09:18 PM
That's why I'm glad I'm defending this country and you're not :toast

Getting free education, healthcare, travel and a lifetime pension at 37 years old = sucker :lol

lol defending this country

lol brainwashed

lol $40,000 salary :lol

lol military being last and only option to make a living :lmao

LnGrrrR
01-14-2011, 09:26 PM
lol defending this country

lol brainwashed

lol $40,000 salary :lol

lol military being last and only option to make a living :lmao

lol enjoying my job

lol you being a druggie

lol defending your right to be a moron

Yonivore
01-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks for serving LnGrrrR! I appreciate it.

Yonivore
01-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Look out that window right above the bathroom sink.

jack sommerset
01-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Congrats!!! Sounds like you make a good salary especially considering you have a young family.Plus you have great benifits and you freaken live in hawaii!!! Congrats on the baby.

jack sommerset
01-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Really Pego, talking shit about a one year old. Absolutly Classless.

thispego
01-14-2011, 09:43 PM
lol enjoying my job

lol you being a druggie

lol defending your right to be a moron

lol believeing a druggie when he says i'm a druggie

enjoying your job is fine, but dont think you're doing anything special, and dont think you're above accepting WIC, cause it's for poor people like you

thispego
01-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Really Pego, talking shit about a one year old. Absolutly Classless.

what one year old am i talkking shit about? is it talking shit to say a baby has a disgusting deformity who actually has a disgusting deformity?

LnGrrrR
01-14-2011, 09:55 PM
lol believeing a druggie when he says i'm a druggie

enjoying your job is fine, but dont think you're doing anything special, and dont think you're above accepting WIC, cause it's for poor people like you

I think I'm doing something more special than you. That's good enough for me.

I don't think of myself as "above" anyone for not accepting WIC. I just realize that other people have more of a need than I do, and would rather the money goes to those more needy.

But being a druggie lowlife, I'm sure you don't have any qualms about taking whatever you can from whoever is willing to support you. :tu

thispego
01-14-2011, 10:06 PM
I think I'm doing something more special than you. That's good enough for me.

I don't think of myself as "above" anyone for not accepting WIC. I just realize that other people have more of a need than I do, and would rather the money goes to those more needy.

But being a druggie lowlife, I'm sure you don't have any qualms about taking whatever you can from whoever is willing to support you. :tu

:lmao :lmao I knew it! never fails... :lol Listen, no matter what you've been told, your job is no different that anybody else's. Real vets, Real wars... that's special, what you are doing is just a job.

Druggie lowlife :lol only drug i've touched in the last 3 years is weed, but good try. By the looks of our babies, it would appear that you and/or your wife is the drug addict, poppin out FAS and other variously deformed babies. Mine on the other hand is perfect, what's your excuse? Bad genes? :lmao

LnGrrrR
01-14-2011, 10:10 PM
:lmao :lmao I knew it! never fails... :lol Listen, no matter what you've been told, your job is no different that anybody else's. Real vets, Real wars... that's special, what you are doing is just a job.

Druggie lowlife :lol only drug i've touched in the last 3 years is weed, but good try. By the looks of our babies, it would appear that you and/or your wife is the drug addict, poppin out FAS and other variously deformed babies. Mine on the other hand is perfect, what's your excuse? Bad genes? :lmao

:lol Like someone would sleep with you. Nice one.

LnGrrrR
01-14-2011, 10:12 PM
But no, you're right, I'm sure my job doesn't compare to that job you have working for Hot Topic... I heard you were their number one salesman for the month of November! That's some important shit man. Keep pushing those Vampire Weekend tshirts! :tu

thispego
01-14-2011, 10:15 PM
:lmao :lmao Reaching for the stars for comebacks. This means I've won and you've realized who the better man is. Tenks for the prahps, brah :tu

LnGrrrR
01-14-2011, 10:19 PM
:lmao :lmao Reaching for the stars for comebacks. This means I've won and you've realized who the better man is. Tenks for the prahps, brah :tu

The man who insults my kid for a deformity thinks I'm the one reaching for insults.

:lmao :lmao Smoke up brah! You are important! Without you, those tweens could never buy the music they purchase to annoy their parents.

jack sommerset
01-14-2011, 10:22 PM
The man who insults my kid for a deformity thinks I'm the one reaching for insults.

:lmao :lmao Smoke up brah! You are important! Without you, those tweens could never buy the music they purchase to annoy their parents.

And he declared himself a winner as if this was game!!!! I'm going to fuck my wife now.

thispego
01-14-2011, 10:28 PM

you're insulting me with things that are not true, im insulting you with things that are true... who is reaching here?

thispego
01-14-2011, 10:29 PM
And he declared himself a winner as if this was game!!!! I'm going to fuck my wife now.

are those lifesize anatomically correct dolls pretty realistic?

SnakeBoy
01-14-2011, 11:19 PM
I agree with Manny, you should take the money. You are in fact underpaid for your service and although you may not need the money your kids will when they want to go to college. Take the money and put it away for your kids future.

Bender
01-14-2011, 11:27 PM
I had to google WIC, didn't know what it was.

LnGrrrR
01-15-2011, 12:04 AM
you're insulting me with things that are not true, im insulting you with things that are true... who is reaching here?

lol implying you make more than 40k a year

lol implying you're not a virgin

LnGrrrR
01-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Hey pedo, I wanted to know... do you get an employee discount? If so, does Hot Topic still sell that Pimp Juice energy drink that Nelly made? Cause I'd buy a whole case or so off you if they did. Just PM me, thanks.

Kori Ellis
01-15-2011, 12:41 AM
Congrats on the upcoming baby. If your wife isn't going to breastfeed, baby formula is dang expensive these days -- you might consider taking the WIC ;)

phxspurfan
01-15-2011, 12:47 AM
On second thought, I would go for it if I were you. Save some extra money for your family.

LnGrrrR
01-15-2011, 02:18 AM
Congrats on the upcoming baby. If your wife isn't going to breastfeed, baby formula is dang expensive these days -- you might consider taking the WIC ;)

She breastfed the first for six months or so; I'm guessing it will be the same.

And trust me, I know how expensive baby formula is... my first kid is only 14 months :D

ploto
01-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Couple of points-- don't be too proud to accept what you qualify for. You say that you can afford it, but just how much money are you putting into savings for your kids' futures. Like others said, you can put the difference toward that. Also, women who breastfeed qualify for extra WIC benefits because the goal of the program is nutrition:

Breastfeeding mothers are eligible to participate in WIC longer than non-breastfeeding mothers.
Mothers who exclusively breastfeed their infants receive an enhanced food package.
Breastfeeding mothers can receive breast pumps, breast shells or nursing supplementers to help support the initiation and continuation of breastfeeding

My child should be Pell Grant eligible when he starts college. No way am I going to turn down almost $6000 of "free money" toward a year of his college expenses.

Wild Cobra
01-16-2011, 12:51 AM
Yes, WIC and Food Stamps are too generous. I have qualified for both while in the military also, but never used them.

sickdsm
01-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Dude says he doesn't want/need them and and a bunch of f*cktards on here are pushing for him to grab it?

No wonder the political forum seems to boil a lot of loserishness.

Gotta commend you. Sounds like your're doing a good thing for great reasons.

As for the comparison's toward the private jobs, wouldn't the benefits far outweigh anything in the private sector?????

LnGrrrR
01-18-2011, 02:37 AM
As for the comparison's toward the private jobs, wouldn't the benefits far outweigh anything in the private sector?????

I'd say they're comparable enough for me to stay in. I could probably make 60-80K on the outside (assuming a decent job market), but I like the culture of the Air Force. The job fits me pretty well.

Wild Cobra
01-18-2011, 07:53 AM
I'd say they're comparable enough for me to stay in. I could probably make 60-80K on the outside (assuming a decent job market), but I like the culture of the Air Force. The job fits me pretty well.
The Air Force would have fit me better than the Army. Due to the job I had, I had two assignments on Air Force bases. I likely would have been promoted faster in the Air Force too. For my MOS, we had a saying for making E-6 and higher. That you had to wait for someone to die or retire. I was a great Job for the Army, but I say even better jobs in the Air Force.

RandomGuy
01-18-2011, 10:00 AM

Whatever else may be true here, the way you are going about it pretty much meets anybodys definition of "douchebaggery".

That particular truth is easily provable, and obvious to all.

Douche.
Bag.

rascal
01-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Take what you can get. The govt. wastes so much money anyways and you will put it to good use for your family.

byrontx
01-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Congrats LnGrrrR and thanks for your service. BTW, also I respect your wife's decision to give those kids a good start in life with breastfeeding. As to the topic, the military aspect skews things. I applaud your decision not to take advantage of a government program if you feel you do not need it. I have made that same decision in the past. The purpose of WIC, with its focus on providing nutrition to families is admirable and families earning at that level are often the ones that are tempted to stretch $'s by cheaper processed foods. Non-military families do not have many of the benefits that you have at that level of income so hopefully WIC has a positive impact for their kiddos.

Wild Cobra
01-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Congrats LnGrrrR and thanks for your service. BTW, also I respect your wife's decision to give those kids a good start in life with breastfeeding. As to the topic, the military aspect skews things. I applaud your decision not to take advantage of a government program if you feel you do not need it. I have made that same decision in the past. The purpose of WIC, with its focus on providing nutrition to families is admirable and families earning at that level are often the ones that are tempted to stretch $'s by cheaper processed foods. Non-military families do not have many of the benefits that you have at that level of income so hopefully WIC has a positive impact for their kiddos.
What they forget in the calculations is only base pay is taxed, and if you live in base housing, such equivalent pay doesn't appear on your income.

In 1992, when I got out, E-5 with 11 years, my base pay was $1420 per month. I also received separate rations, COLA, Housing allowance, and a clothing allowance. I qualified for such benefits too, including earned income credit. I never filed for the earned income credit, but the silly IRS always gave it to me anyway. LOL... My $1420 was the only taxed pay I received. I calculated what my hourly wage for a 40 hr/week job, and came up with needing a job that paid something like $18.52 per hour, to maintain the same net income after tax liabilities.

Remember... This was 1992!