PDA

View Full Version : Blame righty

DarrinS
01-14-2011, 04:21 PM
http://townhall.com/columnists/MichelleMalkin/2011/01/14/blame_righty_a_condensed_history/page/full/

I agree with President Obama. When it comes to politicizing random violence, he and his supporters have been "far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who think differently than" they do. Recognition is the first step toward reconciliation. It's time to recognize the poisonous pervasiveness of the Blame Righty meme.

For the past two years, Democratic officials, liberal activists and journalists have jumped to libelous conclusions about individual shooting sprees committed by mentally unstable loners with incoherent delusions all over the ideological map. The White House now pledges to swear off "pointing fingers or assigning blame." Alas, the Obama administration's political and media foot soldiers have proved themselves incapable of such restraint.

In April 2009, a disgruntled, unemployed loser shot and killed three Pittsburgh police officers in a horrifying bloodbath. The gunman, Richard Poplawski, was a dropout from the Marines who threw a food tray at a drill sergeant and had beaten his girlfriend. Was this deranged shooter who pulled the trigger to blame? Nope. Despite evidence that Poplawski's homicidal, racist tendencies manifested themselves years before Obama took office, lefty publications asserted that the real culprit of the spree was the "heated, apocalyptic rhetoric of the anti-Obama forces" (according to mainstream liberal Atlantic Monthly pundit Andrew Sullivan), along with Fox News and Glenn Beck (according to mainstream liberal journalist Steve Benen of the Washington Monthly online).

That same month, a sick, evil man named Jiverly Voong ambushed an immigration center in Binghamton, N.Y. Recently fired from his job, Voong murdered 13 people, critically wounded four others and then committed suicide. The instant psychologists of the left knew nothing about the disgruntled man of Vietnamese descent and undetermined political affiliation. But within hours of the shooting, liberal mega-website Huffington Post commenters had overwhelmingly convicted GOP Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota, the National Rifle Association, Fox News, Lou Dobbs and yours truly. Liberal radio host Alan Colmes pointed his finger at the "huge anti-immigrant backlash in this country" -- never mind that tens of millions of legal immigrants and naturalized citizens have coped with hardship, overcome racism and embraced assimilation without going bloody bonkers.

In June 2009, a depraved, elderly anti-Semite named James von Brunn gunned down a security guard at the Holocaust Museum in D.C. Washington Post blogger Greg Sargent and lefty Center for American Progress think-tank fellow Matthew Yglesias immediately invoked the Obama administration's report on right-wing extremism, leading to a wider chorus of condemnations against the tea party, talk radio and the entire GOP. The truth? Von Brunn was an unstable, equal-opportunity hater and 9/11 Truther conspiracy loon who bashed Jews and Christians, George W. Bush and Fox News, and had also threatened the conservative Weekly Standard magazine.

In late August 2009, as lawmakers faced citizen revolts at health care town halls nationwide, the Colorado Democratic Party decried a window-smashing vandalism attack at its Denver headquarters. State Democratic Party Chair Pat Waak singled out tea party activists and blamed "people opposed to health care" for the attack. The perpetrator, Maurice Schwenkler, turned out to be a far-left transgender activist/single-payer anarchist who had worked for a labor union-tied political committee and canvassed for a Democratic candidate.

In September 2009, Bill Sparkman, a federal U.S. Census worker, was found dead in a secluded rural Kentucky cemetery with the word "Fed" scrawled on his chest with a rope around his neck. The Atlantic Monthly's Andrew Sullivan rushed to indict "Southern populist terrorism, whipped up by the GOP and its Fox and talk radio cohorts" in an online magazine post titled "No Suicide," which decried the "Kentucky lynching." Liberal author Richard Benjamin blamed "anti-government" bile. New York magazine fingered conservative talk radio giant Rush Limbaugh, "conservative media personalities, websites and even members of Congress." So, who killed Bill Sparkman? Bill Sparkman. He killed himself and deliberately manufactured a hate crime hoax as part of an insurance scam to benefit his surviving son.

In February 2010, ticking time-bomb professor Amy Bishop gunned down three of her colleagues at University of Alabama-Huntsville, and suicide pilot Joseph Andrew Stack flew a stolen small plane into an Austin, Texas, office complex that contained an Internal Revenue Service office. Mainstream journalists from Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart to Time magazine reporter Hilary Hylton leaped forward to tie the crimes to tea party rhetoric. Never mind that Bishop was an Obama-worshiping academic with a lifelong history of violence or that Stack was another Bush-hater outraged about everything from George W. Bush to the American medical system to the evils of capitalism to the city of Austin, the Catholic Church and airlines.

In May 2010, liberal New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg tried to preemptively pin the Times Square bombing attempt on "someone with a political agenda that doesn't like the health care bill or something." The culprit was unrepentant Muslim jihadist Faisal Shahzad.

In August 2010, Democratic supporters of Missouri Rep. Russ Carnahan blamed a "firebombing" at the congressman's St. Louis office on tea party suspects. The real perpetrator? Disgruntled progressive activist Chris Powers, who was enraged over a paycheck dispute.

President Obama wisely counseled the nation this week at the Tucson massacre memorial that "bad things happen, and we must guard against simple explanations in the aftermath." But as the progressive left's smear-stained recent history shows, criminalizing conservatism is a hard habit to break.

DarrinS
01-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Before criticizing the author of this column, can you point out any factual inaccuracies?

ChumpDumper
01-14-2011, 04:23 PM
:sleep

Seriously though, Republicans will never pass up a chance to play the victim.

RandomGuy
01-14-2011, 04:24 PM
:sleep

Seriously though, Republicans will never pass up a chance to play the victim.

Play the victim or blame the victim?

ChumpDumper
01-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Play the victim or blame the victim?Both, if possible.

DarrinS
01-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Thoughtful stuff from Chump and RG.

clambake
01-14-2011, 04:32 PM
have you reached ashley todd yet, darrin?

clambake
01-14-2011, 04:37 PM
you really should contact her. although paraphrased, she wrote the same column......

....on her face!

clambake
01-14-2011, 04:38 PM
i just noticed.....michelle malkin lol

Winehole23
01-15-2011, 05:23 AM
Before criticizing the author of this column, can you point out any factual inaccuracies?Is it factually accurate that war critics in Bush's first term and somewhat into his second, were characterized as giving aid and comfort to the enemy, as being factual traitors?

Do you not recall this kind of banter? It still occasionally comes up in relation to legal process regarding people indefinitely detained by the USA.

Winehole23
01-15-2011, 05:24 AM
How people who didn't support President Bush publicly were being unfaithful to America. Do you remember this?

DarrinS
01-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Is it factually accurate that war critics in Bush's first term and somewhat into his second, were characterized as giving aid and comfort to the enemy, as being factual traitors?

Do you not recall this kind of banter? It still occasionally comes up in relation to legal process regarding people indefinitely detained by the USA.

How people who didn't support President Bush publicly were being unfaithful to America. Do you remember this?

Yes, I remember this, but most of that criticism, or at least the tone of it, couldn't be described as "civil discourse". Do you think there was any violent rhetoric in the anti-war movement? What happened to the anti-war movement, anyway?

George Gervin's Afro
01-15-2011, 08:31 AM
I stopped at Preseident Obama and his supporters..

Obama never blamed anybody and the majority of dems did not blame the right..so the article started of as unfactual

Winehole23
01-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Yes, I remember this, but most of that criticism, or at least the tone of it, couldn't be described as "civil discourse".Fuck you.

Do you think there was any violent rhetoric in the anti-war movement? What happened to the anti-war movement, anyway?Silent majority. Sixty to seventy percent of Americans think Afghanistan isn't worth it at this point.

Spurminator
01-15-2011, 12:16 PM

Real patriots support the President.

Winehole23
01-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Not everyone has a litmus test, but suit yourself.

Duff McCartney
01-15-2011, 02:25 PM
I know that one of Jon Stewarts talking points about Fox News and the right-wing "leaders" is that during the Bush administration any criticism of Bush and you were seen as a traiter. Giving aid and comfort to America's enemies. Now all of a sudden Fox News and the right praise people who dissent against the current President. You're not a traitor to America, you're a patriot.

My god it all makes sense. Fox News is now a liberal news organization. Where once we were liberals for being dissenters against the Bush administration, now they are liberals for dissenting against the Obama administration.

Duff McCartney
01-15-2011, 02:31 PM
I like how she mentions Andrew Sullivan as a leftist and Obama media dog, yet Sullivan is a self professed conservative.

doobs
01-15-2011, 02:37 PM
I like how she mentions Andrew Sullivan as a leftist and Obama media dog, yet Sullivan is a self professed conservative.

I like how you just take him at his word. Did you know Justice Stevens is a self-professed judicial conservative?

Duff McCartney
01-15-2011, 02:40 PM
I like how you just take him at his word. Did you know Justice Stevens is a self-professed judicial conservative?

At his word? What else would you want me to take him as? He supported W. in 200. He holds conservative ideas like smaller government, low taxes, no welfare programs, and privatizing social security.

You want me to check his voting record in Congress to see if he's really a conservative?

Spurminator
01-15-2011, 02:41 PM
:lmao This is a Malkin column? That cunt has the nerve to bitch about using a national tragedy as a talking point to bash another ideology?

3Xuoit0M7lM#!

It's only appropriate that the poster who most represents her on this board would post her column.

Michelle Malkin can go fuck herself and so can her readers.

I hate the politicism of the AZ shootings as much as anyone but you people are willing participants in the game every day, so your righteous indignation about it rings pretty fucking hollow.

Spurminator
01-15-2011, 02:49 PM

No offense.

Yonivore
01-15-2011, 02:51 PM
:lmao This is a Malkin column? That cunt has the nerve to bitch about using a national tragedy as a talking point to bash another ideology?

It's only appropriate that the poster who most represents her on this board would post her column.

I hate the politicism of the AZ shootings as much as anyone but you people are willing participants in the game every day, so your righteous indignation about it rings pretty fucking hollow.
Except that the charge the political correctness of the military and it's tip-toeing around Muslims who identified with extremist Islam had the advantage of actually being true.

Hassan was preaching his Islamic vomit for a long fucking time before he opened fire at Fort Hood. The Military knew about him and the ideology that drove him to kill and did nothing.

Try again.

It was righteous indignation that political correctness had contributed to the murder of those in Killeen. What you have in Tucson is the opportunistic libel of the left to smear their political opponents.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2011, 02:52 PM
lol selective blood libel

Yonivore
01-15-2011, 03:56 PM
In fact, one of the few similarities between the two cases is that, like Hassan's military peers and superiors who knew he was a ticking time bomb, Sheriff Lefty McDupnik knew Loughner was a ticking time bomb.

Yet, neither took the action, within their power, when the killers' respective victims were still alive.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2011, 04:01 PM
In fact, selective blood libel.

And selective support of thought police.

lol

DMX7
01-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Michelle Malkin? LMAO :lmao

But seriously, thanks for not posting her disgusting mutilated looking face.

Winehole23
01-16-2011, 05:24 AM
You start with the result and work backwards. Notorious crimes like mass killings are a popular platform for the ticking time bomb hypothesis. You point to the terrible result and say s/he was a ticking time bomb. Imagination and passion do the rest.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2011, 05:29 AM
It's time to round up all community college dropouts who post on the internets. They represent a clear and present danger to the homeland.

boutons_deux
01-16-2011, 07:58 AM
The Repugs/conservatives/NRA are fully to blame for the loose/non-existent/unenforced gun control regulations. Families run more background checks on nannies than gun dealer ran on the AZ shooter.

AZ got the ignominy it deserves for its non-stop, "full-bore" hate/racist/violent political talk and its insanely loose guns "laws".

America's and the world's financial disaster, the Banksters' Great Depression, is fully blamed on on conservative/VWRC deregulation of the financial sector.

townhall.com? :lol

johnsmith
01-17-2011, 11:18 AM
AZ got the ignominy it deserves for its non-stop, "full-bore" hate/racist/violent political talk and its insanely loose guns "laws".

WOW!!!

How very Westboro of you.

Yonivore
01-17-2011, 11:22 AM
WOW!!!

How very Westboro of you.
Particularly since it appears the violence bore no relationship to any right-wing rhetoric.

In fact, it's being reported now that Loughner would become visibly angry at the sight of President Bush. Not exactly a response incited by Tea Party or right wing rhetoric.

clambake
01-17-2011, 11:26 AM
yoni clinging to hearsay lol

Yonivore
01-17-2011, 11:30 AM
yoni clinging to hearsay lol
The left-wing media and Obama acolytes spent a week clinging to absolutely nothing but their hatred of Sarah Palin and the Tea Party.

clambake
01-17-2011, 11:32 AM
The left-wing media and Obama acolytes spent a week clinging to absolutely nothing but their hatred of Sarah Palin and the Tea Party.

so, they're no different from you.

thanks for admitting that.

by the way.......a guy went on a killing spree at a democratic rally.

Yonivore
01-17-2011, 11:35 AM
so, they're no different from you.

thanks for admitting that.
Sure we're different.

They spent a week spreading a libel. I've spent that time pointing out that's what it was. In the end, who was right?

by the way.......a guy went on a killing spree at a democratic rally.
You're an idiot.

George Gervin's Afro
01-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Sure we're different.

They spent a week spreading a libel. I've spent that time pointing out that's what it was. In the end, who was right?

You're an idiot.

well obama and the majority of democrats didn't blame the right so the article started off s being unfactual...

you're a dishonest person

clambake
01-17-2011, 11:41 AM
They spent a week spreading a libel.
a blood libel :lmao

I've spent that time pointing out that's what it was.
pimping your epic fail :lmao

In the end, who was right?
me. a guy went on a killing spree at a democratic rally.

You're an idiot.
you're a sucker

Yonivore
01-17-2011, 11:43 AM
well obama and the majority of democrats didn't blame the right so the article started off s being unfactual...

you're a dishonest person
Nor did they stand up -- from the very beginning -- and call for restraint and patience (as in the Fort Hood Massacre). Those that didn't blame the right were perfectly willing to stand by while their minions in the media did it for them.

Not dishonest at all.

It's only when it became apparent most Americans weren't buying the narrative that Obama attempted to call off the dogs. Unfortunately, many were so invested in the meme they just can't control themselves.

George Gervin's Afro
01-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Nor did they stand up -- from the very beginning -- and call for restraint and patience (as in the Fort Hood Massacre). Those that didn't blame the right were perfectly willing to stand by while their minions in the media did it for them.

Not dishonest at all.

It's only when it became apparent most Americans weren't buying the narrative that Obama attempted to call off the dogs. Unfortunately, many were so invested in the meme they just can't control themselves.

so it wasn' true that neither obama or his supporters blamed the right..thanks for enforcing that malkin was lying

how do you know what people are thinking?

BlairForceDejuan
01-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Michelle Malkin? LMAO :lmao

But seriously, thanks for not posting her disgusting mutilated looking face.

They're called Asians asshole. Bigots...

:p:

Yonivore
01-17-2011, 11:48 AM
so it wasn' true that neither obama or his supporters blamed the right..thanks for enforcing that malkin was lying

how do you know what people are thinking?
No, you're making no sense.

George Gervin's Afro
01-17-2011, 11:49 AM
No, you're making no sense.

apparently your going to play stupid.. obama didn't blame the right... then premise of malkin's essay...

Yonivore
01-17-2011, 11:51 AM
apparently your going to play stupid.. obama didn't blame the right... then premise of malkin's essay...
I haven't read Malkin's essay and I've never said Obama blamed the right. Only that he was slow to admonish his followers on blaming the right.

George Gervin's Afro
01-17-2011, 11:56 AM
I haven't read Malkin's essay and I've never said Obama blamed the right. Only that he was slow to admonish his followers on blaming the right.

so you read the article in the previous thread...but not this one...ok

Yonivore
01-17-2011, 12:07 PM
so you read the article in the previous thread...but not this one...ok
More than likely, I've been responding to what has been posted not what Malkin said.

But, if it'll make you feel better, I'll go read the essay. Is it in the OP of this thread?

Yonivore
01-17-2011, 12:17 PM
You're right. I read the essay and Malkin unfairly conflated two separate issues to infer Obama was blaming the right for violence. I think she combined the two ideas that 1) the left is prone to blame violence on the right and 2) Obama and his followers blame everything that ails the world (or something to that effect) on people with whom they disagree.

I will say, I've never heard Obama blame the right for the Tucson massacre. However, he has spent pretty much the past two years blaming Bush for all his problems.

Also, the specific incidents she cites, later in the essay, can be found elsewhere and, I think, are dead on about how much of the left reacts to violence.

Their first reaction is to try and pin it on right-wing ideology or rhetoric. The Times Square bomber being a good example. Also, I don't recall Obama ever standing up and counseling restraint unless it was believed the violence was the result of left-wing or Islamic ideology.

boutons_deux
01-17-2011, 12:48 PM
http://www.truth-out.org/files/images/cartoon011711.jpg