PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Cousin

TP2150
01-15-2011, 12:09 AM
I wonder if the Spurs are going to bring this kid back. He seems to be playing well.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/marcus_cousin/index.html?nav=page

TP2150
01-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Since you all are just viewing. lol
http://www.nba.com/dleague/austin/media/danceteam1011.jpg

Roger Freemason Jr.
01-15-2011, 03:54 AM
I think he'd be great. But it's between him, and Larry Owens, which I think is more likely since there was a pretty legitimate source, but that source even said it wasn't entirely sure the Spurs would try him out.

Bruno
01-15-2011, 07:22 AM
When you had to play 3 PF/C in garbage time because you don't have enough perimeter players, the priority is to get a perimeter player, not another PF/C.

If Bonner is out for a long time, Spurs could decide to sign a SF and Cousin, they have enough money to do it. Signing Cousin in March to a Jerrels/Gee/Temple like contract would also make a lot of sense.

SenorSpur
01-15-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm hopeful they will call up both.

TP2150
01-15-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't think they were playing 3 PF/C in garbage time, becasue they were short any players. I don't see any reason they can't sign both a big and a small forward. Hopefully Anderson will be back soon also.

Mark in Austin
01-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Just watched him play today and unless he just had a really really bad game he definitely has some work to do. Here's what I wrote In the game summary: (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171134&page=11)

"Marcus Cousin has legit size and I like how mobile he is but somehow he made it to this level of basketball without being taught how to use his left hand. Half the moves around the basket that he makes - on both ends of the floor - are painful to watch because he can't make or block a shot left handed. And I don't mean he tried to shoot left handed and missed. I mean that he NEVER used his left hand. At all. The fact that he was still able to block a couple shots at the end of the game using his right hand while having to reach across his body to do it was impressive, but won't work at the next level. Offensively he missed a couple point blank shots because he wasted time shifting the ball to his right hand and allowed the defense to recover and get back on him. Again, he'll get killed wasting that much time on the NBA level. He was like a tennis player running around his backhand to hit a forehand shot. If I were the coach I would have him wear a sparring glove to practice on his right hand to force him to use his left. Given the lack of size on the Thunderbirds, Cousin should have rumbled for 30 and 15 with 8 blocks instead of 20 and 6 with 4 blocks. There were times on the pick and roll when he popped out for the jumper instead of rolling to the rim. Maybe it was by design but there were missed scoring opportunities there too."

TDMVPDPOY
01-29-2011, 10:54 PM
nbdl stats dont translate to nba, just ask ian mahinmi

ChumpDumper
01-29-2011, 11:14 PM
He really has no post game. Makes Dwayne Jones look like Hakeem.

TP2150
01-29-2011, 11:42 PM
If the Spurs don't sign him someone else will. He's a solid big he showed a lot toughness in the pre-season. He's the type of big that will do the dirty work.

ChuckD
01-30-2011, 12:00 AM
According to their announcers, he has a hard time even staying on the floor in the d-league because of foul trouble. I really feel at this point he's 6 fouls and a shaky jumper.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2011, 12:09 AM
He really doesn't foul that much. Ian fouled a lot more than he did. Cousin simply doesn't have the kind of game that his size would allow him to consistently dominate offensively in the D-League the way Courtney Sims or Chris Johnson have. He has bad footwork and handling down low and is a soft finisher, but his jumper is actually one of the better parts of his offensive game.

[awaits whiny reply]

and lol Toros announcers

TP2150
01-30-2011, 12:15 AM
He can also hit free throws he's shooting like 83%.

TD 21
01-30-2011, 12:24 AM
When you had to play 3 PF/C in garbage time because you don't have enough perimeter players, the priority is to get a perimeter player, not another PF/C.

If Bonner is out for a long time, Spurs could decide to sign a SF and Cousin, they have enough money to do it. Signing Cousin in March to a Jerrels/Gee/Temple like contract would also make a lot of sense.

Then consider Novak the newest Spur. He's the closest to Bonner the Spurs can come without giving up anything.

The big thing on the Rodeo Trip is to not have to overplay Duncan, but especially McDyess, because he's the one who's minutes have went up with Bonner out. I'm not suggesting unequivocally that Novak is the answer, but he may be capable of eating up some minutes without killing the team. Obviously, he's the type that can only be played in select match-ups, though.

As for Cousin, I'd be surprised if the Spurs called him up. He clearly wasn't going to make the cut anyway, but Pop specifically said when he was waived, "we have too many centers". If Bonner is going to be out through the Rodeo trip, they're most likely going to be on the lookout for a power forward who can shoot.

Tigole Bitties
01-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Sounds like a poor mans Demarcus Cousins

The Reckoning
01-30-2011, 01:04 AM
id make love to all of them...even scary spice up front. itll come with age, young one. you learn to hit what you can get.

ChuckD
01-30-2011, 01:12 AM
He really doesn't foul that much. Ian fouled a lot more than he did. Cousin simply doesn't have the kind of game that his size would allow him to consistently dominate offensively in the D-League the way Courtney Sims or Chris Johnson have. He has bad footwork and handling down low and is a soft finisher, but his jumper is actually one of the better parts of his offensive game.

[awaits whiny reply]

and lol Toros announcers

[whiny reply given]

E-RockWill
01-30-2011, 02:21 AM
id make love to all of them...even scary spice up front. itll come with age, young one. you learn to hit what you can get.

...which is none @ all...

ZING!

SenorSpur
01-30-2011, 03:27 AM
Then consider Novak the newest Spur. He's the closest to Bonner the Spurs can come without giving up anything.

The big thing on the Rodeo Trip is to not have to overplay Duncan, but especially McDyess, because he's the one who's minutes have went up with Bonner out. I'm not suggesting unequivocally that Novak is the answer, but he may be capable of eating up some minutes without killing the team. Obviously, he's the type that can only be played in select match-ups, though.

As for Cousin, I'd be surprised if the Spurs called him up. He clearly wasn't going to make the cut anyway, but Pop specifically said when he was waived, "we have too many centers".

I remembered Pop saying that and at the time I thought, "isn't he going to need more size to be able to match up somewhat with the Fakers?"

The thing is Pop doesn't seem too worried about it the size disadvantage, at all.

TD 21
01-31-2011, 01:35 AM
I remembered Pop saying that and at the time I thought, "isn't he going to need more size to be able to match up somewhat with the Fakers?"

The thing is Pop doesn't seem too worried about it the size disadvantage, at all.

More size would be ideal, if it were quality size. As in, a marked upgrade over Blair and Splitter, without the Spurs having to give up anything of consequence or significance. But you don't have to be a mathematician to figure out the probability of that happening.

Everyone's so caught up in sheer size, as if it's the end all be all (and no, I'm not short, so this isn't little man syndrome). The main thing is, do they have enough talent amongst their bigs to throw at the Lakers bigs? The Spurs haven't had enough the past few seasons, but they appear to this season. They're still going to lose the battle of the bigs, but they're good enough now to minimize the damage and strong enough in other areas to exploit the Lakers enough to be able to (theoretically) be capable of beating them in a series.

Sure, they could go find some 6-10 or 6-11 scrub off the scrap heap post trade deadline, when the buy out period ensues. But what's the point? No one they could sign in that scenario would be anywhere near as good as Blair or Splitter. It's not about just having another big body, because they already have that in Splitter.

I don't think Pop is "not worried about it", he just knows it's the reality and it's going to continue to be. So instead of having a defeatist attitude, he's accepted it and played to the strengths and advantages of being smaller and quicker (at least in the first meeting).

Ditty
01-31-2011, 02:32 AM

my anaylsis of the cheerleaders: :p:

the first 6 girls from the left are fucking sexy :toast

the next 3 girl starting from the black girl to the girl looking like she's touching her hair look like guys sorry :lol

unless it's a real bad picture

the 2nd girl on the right looks really young and not so hot but aight, 3rd one has a stupid face expression,4th one is too skinny and kinda looks arab which is not really not my type

1st,5th and 6th one's from the right are hot

some of them should be on the silver dancers cuz some of them aren't really that hot, when you meet them up real close.

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2011, 02:36 AM
i'd make love to about 7 of them

interesting because every single one is probably better looking than any girl you've ever made love to

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2011, 03:05 AM
interesting because every single one is probably better looking than any girl you've ever made love to

dont forget his still a virgin talkin shit on the net about hookin up with chicks...

the question is does the girl even wanna hook up with him

UnWantedTheory
01-31-2011, 04:18 AM
Very true, considering he is a 15 year old virgin....

Darkwaters
01-31-2011, 05:30 AM
my anaylsis of the cheerleaders: :p:

the first 6 girls from the left are fucking sexy :toast

the next 3 girl starting from the black girl to the girl looking like she's touching her hair look like guys sorry :lol

unless it's a real bad picture

the 2nd girl on the right looks really young and not so hot but aight, 3rd one has a stupid face expression,4th one is too skinny and kinda looks arab which is not really not my type

1st,5th and 6th one's from the right are hot

some of them should be on the silver dancers cuz some of them aren't really that hot, when you meet them up real close.

After reading this comment I quickly checked to see if GuitarDude had made the comment. Surprisingly, no.

iManu
01-31-2011, 05:40 AM

Too Jewish for you?

Yorae
01-31-2011, 06:22 AM
I am kinda confused...we're recruiting cousins for the silver dancers?

outmap
01-31-2011, 08:49 AM

I like the first three on the left; the girl on the right; the 14 year old girl (second from the right); and the girl behind Anderson Varejao. :toast

armynick23
01-31-2011, 12:50 PM
He will be like all the other people that leave san antonio and become really good on other teams.

ChuckD
01-31-2011, 10:00 PM
He will be like all the other people that leave san antonio and become really good on other teams.

How can he "leave San Antonio" when he hasn't ever played a minute here? He'd be lucky to get a call up to any team this year, but he might because of the sorry state of d-league big men.

Ditty
01-31-2011, 11:57 PM
after reviewing these on the website the 4th one on the right is probably the sexiest..I guess it was a bad picture like I said

ChumpDumper
02-03-2011, 04:18 PM
The Toros made a bit of an odd trade, ending up with Eric Boateng. I don't exactly know why they would get another center when their guard play has been so wildly inconsistent; I guess it could possibly portend a Cousin call up and maybe even an Owens assignment should he be kept on. Both players made the D-League All-Star team btw.

jjktkk
02-03-2011, 05:04 PM
The Toros made a bit of an odd trade, ending up with Eric Boateng. I don't exactly know why they would get another center when their guard play has been so wildly inconsistent; I guess it could possibly portend a Cousin call up and maybe even an Owens assignment should he be kept on. Both players made the D-League All-Star team btw.

What do you know about Boateng Chump? Legit NBA prospect?

ChumpDumper
02-03-2011, 07:38 PM
What do you know about Boateng Chump? Legit NBA prospect?So far, no. Just an average D-League big man.

Bito Corleone
02-03-2011, 08:35 PM

Would you fuck the rest?

Mel_13
02-07-2011, 11:11 AM

As for Cousin, I'd be surprised if the Spurs called him up. He clearly wasn't going to make the cut anyway, but Pop specifically said when he was waived, "we have too many centers". If Bonner is going to be out through the Rodeo trip, they're most likely going to be on the lookout for a power forward who can shoot.

:toast

Bruno
02-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Novak is a tweener SF/PF. I think Pop will use him more at the PF spot.

Mel_13
02-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Novak is a tweener SF/PF. I think Pop will use him more at the PF spot.

Yes, although he'll mostly be used in garbage time and share towel waving duty with Quinn.

MaNu4Tres
02-07-2011, 12:32 PM

Spot on TD21 :tu

Although, I don't think Novak will see any quality minutes.

Good call.

Blackjack
02-07-2011, 12:39 PM

This is my 'give-props-when-it's-due-in-the-oft-chance-I-should-deserve-props-for-something-in-the-future' post. :toast :downspin:

TD 21
02-08-2011, 02:06 AM
I'm that good. :rollin

Spurs Brazil
04-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Rockets Sign Marcus Cousin, Assign Him To Rio Grande Valley Vipers
Apr 10, 2011 6:46 PM EDT

The Houston Rockets have signed 6-11 center Marcus Cousin to a three-year non-guaranteed contract, and then assigned him to their D-League franchise the Rio Grande Vipers.

Cousin played this season with the Austin Toros.

To make room for Cousin on Houston's roster, Rockets GM Daryl Morey waived DeMarre Carroll, a forward acquired from the Memphis Grizzlies in the trade that sent Shane Battier to Memphis.

Hasheem Thabeet, the other player acquired in that deal, is being recalled from the Vipers, so that Cousin can take his spot on their roster.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/news#ixzz1JAIh3bUF

ChuckD
04-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Meh. He wasn't anything special, and barely ordinary. I doubt the Rockets have any more plans for him than the Spurs did when we signed him. He's d-league fodder.

DaDakota
04-10-2011, 08:54 PM
At this point, our team can not aford any big player to go by without a look.

We are starving for centers.....and honestly, if we could get one that can rebound and block shots, it would help a ton....we got the offense covered, but our D at the rim....YUCK !

DD

Mel_13
04-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Boxscore from Game 1 of RGV's playoff series:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20110408/RGVBAK/gameinfo.html

It's entirely possible that Houston signed Cousin to give RGV a chance at defending their title. Thabeet sucks even against D-League competition.