PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades - Mavs @ Spurs - Jan. 14

Cry Havoc
01-15-2011, 12:40 AM
Since TimVP is apparently on the injured list, I thought I'd take a crack at game grades, since people seem to miss it, and those of you who weren't able to catch the game always look forward to his reviews. Any objections? Didn't think so. Onward...

Coming into the January 14th contest, the league leading San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks could not be on more divergent paths, at least for the near-future. The Spurs, winners of their last 4 and 7 of their last 10 continue to set the pace for the NBA. Meanwhile, the Mavericks resemble a boxer on their last legs, after being bruised and battered by the loss of Dirk Nowitzki for the 9th game, and Caron Butler for the entire season, not to mention potential starter Roddy Beaubois. Historically, the Spurs seem to struggle to play well against ailing teams, but that obviously wasn't the case here, as they wasted no time in building a sizable lead and blowing out the Mavs in a game that wasn't as close as the 12 point final margin indicates.

Starters

Tony Parker A: Game ball goes to Tony Parker, who came out with his foot on the floor and promptly decimated the Mavs defense with aggressive drives, excellent kick outs, and scoring at an extremely efficient clip. With 18 points and 6 assists in only 25 minutes, Parker ensured that Jason Terry was going to have to make an ass of himself to save a little face for the Mavs, which of course, he obliged. Parker was the engine tonight for the Spurs, and left the Mavs choking on his... dust... from the tip off.

Manu Ginobili B-: An unusually quiet game from Manu, the Spurs were fortunate that they did not need efficient production from him. Just 4-11 shooting to go with 1 assist and 1 rebound, Manu forced the issue on offense a little too much tonight. However, when he wasn't shooting he moved the ball well, and seemed to be active on defense tonight, even though the stats won't show it. Manu is saved from a C grade if for nothing else than infuriating Jason Terry and his headband into giving him a shoulder throw, sending Manu to the court and getting a technical on JET, who's 3-14 performance was more of an airline crash tonight.

Richard Jefferson C: Considering the 0fer he put up his last time out, anything would have to be an upgrade for RJ. However, 7 points on 2-7 shooting puts me in the "I'm officially worried about RJ again" category. He did play some nice defense tonight, with active hands and grabbed 5 boards, but this is a Mavs team without 2 of their best scorers, so how hard should it be to limit them, anyway? If Pop can't find a way to rejuvenate RJ's production in the offensive flow, I am worried about our chances in the playoffs.

Tim Duncan A-: Duncan had a solid night, as he absolutely shut down penetration on defense (again, not too remarkable against this Mavs team) and scored well on offense. Duncan also had arguably his best dunk of the year, when DeSSSSSSSSShawn Stevenson got in his way and Tim promptly added him to his already massive collection of Hall of Fame level plays. 16 points, 12 boards, and a couple of blocks for Duncan to go with no turnovers makes for very happy Spurs fans.

DeJuan Blair A: Parker was the best player on the Spurs tonight, but Blair played one of his best games of the season, most of which won't be shown on the stat sheet, because the most encouraging thing I saw from Blair wasn't his 13 rebounds, or his 7-11 from the field, but his ball movement and passing. Several times, Blair made strong moves to the hoop, drawing defenders, only to pass it (correctly) out to waiting Spurs players on the wing. He moved well on D and lit it up on offense, but did drop a couple of passes that he should have caught. Still a great effort from the Beast from Pitt, perhaps a top 2 or 3 performance this season.

Bench

George Hill B: As usual, George Hill's performance is hard to gauge by numbers. He scored just 9 points on 2-9 shooting, but his play was solid, and his defense was swarming, especially on Jason Terry, who shot 3-14 (I'm aware I already listed that stat, but I enjoy mentioning how horribly JET played again). I'll take poor shooting nights from Hill if he shuts down the other team's scorer.

Antonio McDyess A-: Dice earned his 23 minutes tonight. He was constantly making good rotations on the court and playing with a lot of energy. His 10 rebounds tied him for 3rd behind Duncan and Blair, and he played better than any big from Dallas. McDyess, in what could be his final season, is still a better big man than Brendan Haywood, who's making $7.6 million next year.

Gary Neal D+: In a rare off-night for Neal, he shot very poorly from the field. 8 points in 26 minutes probably makes this the least productive night of the season from Neal. He also turned the ball over more than any other Spurs player tonight. I did see good energy from Neal, and he wasn't hesitant about pulling the trigger, he just missed nearly every shot he took tonight. But he's still better than Jason Terry.

Tiago Splitter D+: Sigh. I really, really had high hopes for Splitter, but those are fading, as he failed to produce against a depleted Mavs team. Just one point in 15 minutes of play worries me about his ability to put the ball in the hoop. His hook shot is kind of a half fade-away half chuck-and-pray, and his defense was less than stellar tonight. Is it too late in the season to hire an NBA great like Hakeem did for DHoward to teach this guy to play close to the hoop?

Matt Bonner B: Bonner only played 8 minutes due to injury, apparently a nagging knee problem sidelined him for the second half, even though he didn't do anything to aggravate it. Bonner made both shots he took and got one rebound, then stole another from Manu.

Chris Quinn D+: Yikes. In just 8 minutes of play, I did not like what I saw from CQ. He struggled with ball movement and clanked 3 free throws at the stripe. The Mavs made a run in garbage time with Quinn and Splitter on the floor, making the game a lot closer than it should have been.

Cry Havoc
01-15-2011, 12:45 AM
Don't hate too much -- my first game this year doing grades for the Spurs.

SpursIndonesia
01-15-2011, 01:02 AM
nice effort & result, OP. :)

mando6599
01-15-2011, 01:02 AM
good job! thanks a lot for this!

ElNono
01-15-2011, 01:03 AM
You can't tell right away its not timvp since Manu didnt get an A- or some such... :lol

Good job Cry

Werdsniper2
01-15-2011, 01:04 AM
Since TimVP is apparently on the injured list, I thought I'd take a crack at game grades, since people seem to miss it, and those of you who weren't able to catch the game always look forward to his reviews. Any objections? Didn't think so. Onward...

Coming into the January 14th contest, the league leading San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks could not be on more divergent paths, at least for the near-future. The Spurs, winners of their last 4 and 7 of their last 10 continue to set the pace for the NBA. Meanwhile, the Mavericks resemble a boxer on their last legs, after being bruised and battered by the loss of Dirk Nowitzki for the 9th game, and Caron Butler for the entire season, not to mention potential starter Roddy Beaubois. Historically, the Spurs seem to struggle to play well against ailing teams, but that obviously wasn't the case here, as they wasted no time in building a sizable lead and blowing out the Mavs in a game that wasn't as close as the 12 point final margin indicates.

Starters

Tony Parker A: Game ball goes to Tony Parker, who came out with his foot on the floor and promptly decimated the Mavs defense with aggressive drives, excellent kick outs, and scoring at an extremely efficient clip. With 18 points and 6 assists in only 25 minutes, Parker ensured that Jason Terry was going to have to make an ass of himself to save a little face for the Mavs, which of course, he obliged. Parker was the engine tonight for the Spurs, and left the Mavs choking on his... dust... from the tip off.

Manu Ginobili B-: An unusually quiet game from Manu, the Spurs were fortunate that they did not need efficient production from him. Just 4-11 shooting to go with 1 assist and 1 rebound, Manu forced the issue on offense a little too much tonight. However, when he wasn't shooting he moved the ball well, and seemed to be active on defense tonight, even though the stats won't show it. Manu is saved from a C grade if for nothing else than infuriating Jason Terry and his headband into giving him a shoulder throw, sending Manu to the court and getting a technical on JET, who's 3-14 performance was more of an airline crash tonight.

Richard Jefferson C: Considering the 0fer he put up his last time out, anything would have to be an upgrade for RJ. However, 7 points on 2-7 shooting puts me in the "I'm officially worried about RJ again" category. He did play some nice defense tonight, with active hands and grabbed 5 boards, but this is a Mavs team without 2 of their best scorers, so how hard should it be to limit them, anyway? If Pop can't find a way to rejuvenate RJ's production in the offensive flow, I am worried about our chances in the playoffs.

Tim Duncan A-: Duncan had a solid night, as he absolutely shut down penetration on defense (again, not too remarkable against this Mavs team) and scored well on offense. Duncan also had arguably his best dunk of the year, when DeSSSSSSSSShawn Stevenson got in his way and Tim promptly added him to his already massive collection of Hall of Fame level plays. 16 points, 12 boards, and a couple of blocks for Duncan to go with no turnovers makes for very happy Spurs fans.

DeJuan Blair A: Parker was the best player on the Spurs tonight, but Blair played one of his best games of the season, most of which won't be shown on the stat sheet, because the most encouraging thing I saw from Blair wasn't his 13 rebounds, or his 7-11 from the field, but his ball movement and passing. Several times, Blair made strong moves to the hoop, drawing defenders, only to pass it (correctly) out to waiting Spurs players on the wing. He moved well on D and lit it up on offense, but did drop a couple of passes that he should have caught. Still a great effort from the Beast from Pitt, perhaps a top 2 or 3 performance this season.

Bench

George Hill B: As usual, George Hill's performance is hard to gauge by numbers. He scored just 9 points on 2-9 shooting, but his play was solid, and his defense was swarming, especially on Jason Terry, who shot 3-14 (I'm aware I already listed that stat, but I enjoy mentioning how horribly JET played again). I'll take poor shooting nights from Hill if he shuts down the other team's scorer.

Antonio McDyess A-: Dice earned his 23 minutes tonight. He was constantly making good rotations on the court and playing with a lot of energy. His 10 rebounds tied him for 3rd behind Duncan and Blair, and he played better than any big from Dallas. McDyess, in what could be his final season, is still a better big man than Brendan Haywood, who's making $7.6 million next year.

Gary Neal D+: In a rare off-night for Neal, he shot very poorly from the field. 8 points in 26 minutes probably makes this the least productive night of the season from Neal. He also turned the ball over more than any other Spurs player tonight. I did see good energy from Neal, and he wasn't hesitant about pulling the trigger, he just missed nearly every shot he took tonight. But he's still better than Jason Terry.

Tiago Splitter D+: Sigh. I really, really had high hopes for Splitter, but those are fading, as he failed to produce against a depleted Mavs team. Just one point in 15 minutes of play worries me about his ability to put the ball in the hoop. His hook shot is kind of a half fade-away half chuck-and-pray, and his defense was less than stellar tonight. Is it too late in the season to hire an NBA great like Hakeem did for DHoward to teach this guy to play close to the hoop?

Matt Bonner B: Bonner only played 8 minutes due to injury, apparently a nagging knee problem sidelined him for the second half, even though he didn't do anything to aggravate it. Bonner made both shots he took and got one rebound, then stole another from Manu.

Chris Quinn D+: Yikes. In just 8 minutes of play, I did not like what I saw from CQ. He struggled with ball movement and clanked 3 free throws at the stripe. The Mavs made a run in garbage time with Quinn and Splitter on the floor, making the game a lot closer than it should have been.

Antonio McDyess - Can we just convince him out of retirement right now? He is not what he used to be, but he understands that, which is what makes him so great. I love the guy, such a solid role player. Solid A-.

Richard Jefferson - He deserves a little below a C to me. He simply has not been effective. He started out the season with great stats...some people even labeling him as "RJ 2.0" (which seems ridiculous now). He always seems aggressive to me, which is a good thing of course... but that does not compensate for what is essentially another poor offensive performance. Of all the starters on the floor, he was certainly the most forgettable...and this isn't the first time. I must admit, I am worried too.

Cry Havoc
01-15-2011, 01:07 AM
Sniper -- I thought RJ was active and moved the ball well, so I gave him a C, he also rebounded well. Our ball movement was really awesome tonight.

GrandeDavid
01-15-2011, 01:15 AM
Don't hate too much -- my first game this year doing grades for the Spurs.

You set the standard. I hope you do this from now on. Excellent Job!

Werdsniper2
01-15-2011, 01:20 AM
Haha. I must admit, you certainly put a lot of effort into the grades.

It's practically a college level paper.

I was going to write my own, but nobody is going to appreciate thoughts from a 20 post member.

Nice job!

100%duncan
01-15-2011, 01:32 AM
Thanks CH!

Sant1ago
01-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Great Job! Very good analysis of the game. Keep those grades coming!

mazerrackham
01-15-2011, 02:03 AM
nice work CH, thanks

Manufan909
01-15-2011, 03:46 AM
Great work, CryHavoc. Just a general question, how many of Dejuan's points/boards were in garbage time?

xapatan2
01-15-2011, 03:52 AM
Thanks a lot CryHavoc !

Much much appreciated !

Xap'

diego
01-15-2011, 03:57 AM
I have a hard time catching every game, but I've noticed since at least november that RJ doesnt get setup very much, and when he is its 66% 3pter, 33% alleyoop/cut to the basket. I'd like to see him a little more involved, with more opportunities inside and less 3s. We already have enough players that only shoot 3s.

nice job on the grades

KaiRMD1
01-15-2011, 04:20 AM
Thanks for taking my advice and doing your own grades. Glad to see it's back by the way, don't ditch out on the job, this is for you man.

Spursmania
01-15-2011, 04:23 AM
Thanks Cry. Good job:toast

polandprzem
01-15-2011, 04:57 AM
nice effort & result, OP. :)

You've got flag upside down !

Grades :tu

awktalk
01-15-2011, 05:19 AM
Tiago Splitter [I]D+: Sigh. I really, really had high hopes for Splitter, but those are fading, as he failed to produce against a depleted Mavs team. Just one point in 15 minutes of play worries me about his ability to put the ball in the hoop. His hook shot is kind of a half fade-away half chuck-and-pray, and his defense was less than stellar tonight. Is it too late in the season to hire an NBA great like Hakeem did for DHoward to teach this guy to play close to the hoop?

Please repost this every time some moran asks "why doesn't Splitter get minutes????" fucking idiots

SenorSpur
01-15-2011, 06:12 AM
Great job, Cry.

I certainly believe you got most of them right - especially the D+ for Neal. He deserves it, in part, for that ill-advised, full-court pass he threw to Manu at the end of the half.

Great work, man.

TDMVPDPOY
01-15-2011, 06:18 AM
did theresa wrote this or you did CH?

SenorSpur
01-15-2011, 06:26 AM
Two observations on the Mavs:

Ever since 2006, I've always had a healthy respect for them - especially in the way they've approached games versus the Spurs. However, I've lost some respect for the way they've "folded the tent" since Dirk has been out. It's the lack of effort that is surprising. This is supposedly one of the deepest teams in the NBA, from 1-12. They've got guys that have been key rotation players on other teams. It;s obvious that with Dirk and Caron out, the rest of the those guys have become exposed. They cannot generate any offense, but that trademark defense that they were supposedly so famous for, has vanished. And most of all, the effort has been lacking.

The Mavs, especially that Turtlehead Bitch, talked mucho smack to start the season, when they were winning games and everything was rosy. They boasted how they were set to take on the rest of the NBA and how they considered themselves the best in the NBA. Now that they've hit a patch of adversity, that frontrunning, posing, attitude of theirs has been silenced. And again, their effort has been poor.

The other thing that was obvious to me is Alexis Ajinca has no business on the court. He missed defensive assignments, didn't generate any offense or hustle plays, and was basically a non-factor. I don't know what's going between Carlisle and Brendan Haywood, but for the coach to elect to start and play Ajinca and Ian Mahinmi over Haywood is irresponsible coaching. The Mavs need production out of their better players and Ajinca and Ian are not better than Haywood - and I'm a fan of Ian's. What point is the coach trying to prove here?

Even when Dirk comes back, I doubt he cures what is wrong with this team. As a result, I don't see them having a long playoff life. Based on this recent skid, it's clear they are posers and not closers - and fans of theirs should be big concerned the rest of the way.

WalterBenitez
01-15-2011, 06:43 AM
Nice grades, I would give more to Blair compared with Tony, mostly of the crew had an off nite.

Nice to see TD doing some dunks!!!

It's me or this is the poorest version of Mavies lately?

greyforest
01-15-2011, 07:18 AM
I was going to write my own, but nobody is going to appreciate thoughts from a 20 post member.

I appreciate any post as long as it's not written by a moron!

urunobili
01-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Cry with the goods :tu

Spurs Brazil
01-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Good job Cry Havoc

Bender
01-15-2011, 09:11 AM
I give CH Grades an A.

blair made a couple of really impressive passes.

I can't believe how much the mavs stunk, even without dirk and butler.

yeah, quite an off-night for Neal, and he took some bad shots too.

Martin R
01-15-2011, 10:53 AM
to give B- to a player who finished with +22 playing 22 fucking minutes is at least being pessimistic.

Cry Havoc
01-15-2011, 11:01 AM
did theresa wrote this or you did CH?

:lol

Great work, CryHavoc. Just a general question, how many of Dejuan's points/boards were in garbage time?

Most of his production was in the first half, if memory serves. I gave Blair his grade based on his contribution to the win, not stat stuffing at the end of the game. He was the best big man on the floor tonight from either team, aside from Duncan.

The other thing that was obvious to me is Alexis Ajinca has no business on the court. He missed defensive assignments, didn't generate any offense or hustle plays, and was basically a non-factor. I don't know what's going between Carlisle and Brendan Haywood, but for the coach to elect to start and play Ajinca and Ian Mahinmi over Haywood is irresponsible coaching. The Mavs need production out of their better players and Ajinca and Ian are not better than Haywood - and I'm a fan of Ian's. What point is the coach trying to prove here?

To be fair, I didn't see anything from Haywood that suggested he belonged on the court any more than Ajinca did. Ajinca played extremely well last game against us, which leads me to believe that's why Carlisle wanted to give him a shot tonight. Haywood did end up playing 21 minutes to Ajinca's 12, so that tells me that it was just an experiment against the Spurs. Ajinca's more athletic than Haywood, and Carlisle was probably hoping he could contain Blair or Duncan with his speed. Haywood scored 6 points and 4 rebounds in 21 minutes... so he didn't exactly earn much more time on the floor.

Even when Dirk comes back, I doubt he cures what is wrong with this team. As a result, I don't see them having a long playoff life. Based on this recent skid, it's clear they are posers and not closers - and fans of theirs should be big concerned the rest of the way.

The problem with the Mavs is that they have no one to create their own shot. Butler, Dirk, and Roddy are seriously their 3 best penetrators, they are the only guys on that team that can get to the rim with any regularity.

I agree, I think with Dirk out the NBA now has a blueprint for how to shut down their production when he is back. The Mavs have big problems right now, and I think they might even lose the 3rd seed to the Thunder or Jazz.

Cry Havoc
01-15-2011, 11:03 AM
to give B- to a player who finished with +22 playing 22 fucking minutes is at least being pessimistic.

Did you watch the game? Manu took a lot of ill-advised shots. He just wasn't as effective tonight. +/- for a single game is a really horrible metric to judge player production.

E-RockWill
01-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Well done, sir.

ducks
01-15-2011, 12:26 PM
manu should have gotten a c-
no assist no rebounds and bad shooting but still a b
unbelievable

Mel_13
01-15-2011, 12:30 PM
http://amazingdata.com/mediadata24/Image/hot_weird_funny_amazing_cool_duck-chicks-fall-sewer-1_20090725122924478.jpg

tp2021
01-15-2011, 12:42 PM
I wonder if there's a way to combine the RJ screen-alley oop play with Blair's bouncepass to the corner man who cuts baseline. that would be cool

MaNuMaNiAc
01-15-2011, 12:57 PM
unbelievable

life's a bitch, what you gonna do...

Cry Havoc
01-15-2011, 01:01 PM
unbelievable

Newsflash ducks: This isn't a one pass and score offense. For a stretch in the second quarter, the Spurs were running without a point, as Pop pulled both Parker and Hill off the floor. Manu didn't get a lot of assists, but he still facilitated offensive production tonight, especially in that crucial second quarter segment.

Perhaps if you watched the game rather than looking at the stat sheet you would know what I was talking about.

Kori Ellis
01-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Great job, thanks for posting the grades! :tu

Agloco
01-15-2011, 01:16 PM

None I think. He sat down early in the fourth.

Cry Havoc
01-15-2011, 01:21 PM

Let me know if LJ wants to make the threads again in the future. :tu

Mel_13
01-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Blair had 8 pts and 5 rebounds in the 4th quarter

E-RockWill
01-15-2011, 01:30 PM
unbelievable

Newsflash ducks: This isn't a one pass and score offense. For a stretch in the second quarter, the Spurs were running without a point, as Pop pulled both Parker and Hill off the floor. Manu didn't get a lot of assists, but he still facilitated offensive production tonight, especially in that crucial second quarter segment.

Perhaps if you watched the game rather than looking at the stat sheet you would know what I was talking about.

:owned by Cry Havoc

Validated by Kori Ellis

Maybe someone gets a Spur in their future.....

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Is Cry Havoc a Timvp alias?

Very nice work!! :tu

Blackjack
01-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Good stuff, Havoc. :tu

I'd give a little more love to Tim. He really came out and set the tone on D and on the boards. His energy was really good -- he had 'the bounce' -- and his teammates really seemed to feed off of him. He'd get my game ball.

Tony was really good, Manu was defended like he was really good and ran the team well when given the reins and Blair's boardwork, running of the floor and passing were all impressive throughout (his D, not so much).

Neal was just forcing it, not taking what the offense manufactured or playing with patience -- looked like Pop had instructed them to really push the pace against a shorthanded team lacking the firepower to keep up, but he wasn't doing it smartly; shooting without setting his feet or forcing a shot as if he had no choice.

Hill's D was really damn good one-on-one but he got let off the hook a good amount too. He continues to try and shoot the gap, seemingly knowing his limitations getting through screens (and I'm beginning to wonder if Pop has too), so Terry helped him out a good bit by missing shots he customarily makes -- though I'm beginning to wonder if Hill is somewhat in Terry's head, forcing him to do things a little quicker, crisper and making him think or play at a speed that throws him off just enough. The defensive pendulum really feels like it's swung back into the Spurs' favor in that matchup the last couple of years.

DMC
01-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Great report card. Will you be posting these in the future? I like your writing style.

Cry Havoc
01-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Great report card. Will you be posting these in the future? I like your writing style.

Until TimVP wants it back, I plan to do game grades whenever I have the opportunity.

ducks
01-15-2011, 11:31 PM

ducks recorded the game watched it twice
manu sucked donkey all night

lefty
01-15-2011, 11:33 PM
ducks recorded the game watched it twice
manu sucked donkey all night
http://i55.tinypic.com/2uz34zm.png