PDA

View Full Version : Tiago Splitter: 15 minutes and...

Werdsniper2
01-15-2011, 12:42 AM
15 (Garbage Time) minutes and...

1 point
3 rebounds
1 assist

Ugh?

ShoogarBear
01-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Tiago Splitter's hook is the most pathetic single shot of any player in the league.

TP2150
01-15-2011, 12:51 AM
Don't forget he drew a charge.

suitedkings
01-15-2011, 12:57 AM
and hit the floor 8 times.

TP2150
01-15-2011, 01:01 AM
I also recall he tried to block a shot. He jumped and everything.

Spurs da champs
01-15-2011, 01:04 AM
Maybe if he played more often he would do more, but he's stuck to the bench...:rolleyes

toki9
01-15-2011, 01:06 AM
He looked rushed and overeager for everything, almost like a puppy out there. I think the lack of playing time is really messing with his head and making him overanxious when he's on the floor. Maybe with Bonner nursing the bone bruise, Tiago will get some steady time--and that will allow him to find some rhythm and contribute. Here's to hoping.

crc21209
01-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Tiago Splitter's hook is the most pathetic single shot of any player in the league.

+1. Soft as shit....

EricB
01-15-2011, 01:14 AM
Maybe if he played more often he would do more, but he's stuck to the bench...:rolleyes

what 30 minutes?

Werdsniper2
01-15-2011, 01:16 AM
He looked rushed and overeager for everything, almost like a puppy out there. I think the lack of playing time is really messing with his head and making him overanxious when he's on the floor. Maybe with Bonner nursing the bone bruise, Tiago will get some steady time--and that will allow him to find some rhythm and contribute. Here's to hoping.

+1

I can't help but to agree with you. He was finally given a substantial amount of minutes, and simply flopped. No other way to put it really. He was very eager to prove himself, and this ultimately led to his demise.

I don't want to make it sound like the sky is falling (and it most certainly isn't) but I would expect just a little more out of him.

sa_kid20
01-15-2011, 01:17 AM
I really wish Tiago got a chance to play with the Big 3 more because he has absolutely no chemistry whatsoever with the 2nd unit. As soon as he came in with about 3:00 to go on the 3rd Tony gave him a nice pass which resulted in some ft's. After that Tony goes out, George runs the point and Tiago only gets 1 shot attempt the rest of the game.

DrSteffo
01-15-2011, 01:22 AM
I really wish Tiago got a chance to play with the Big 3 more because he has absolutely no chemistry whatsoever with the 2nd unit. As soon as he came in with about 3:00 to go on the 3rd Tony gave him a nice pass which resulted in some ft's. After that Tony goes out, George runs the point and Tiago only gets 1 shot attempt the rest of the game.

This. Tiago is not a garbage time player. He is a team player and needs organised bball, not street ball. He needs a good pg and when he plays with Parker he scores.

Hoops Czar
01-15-2011, 01:26 AM

Some posters are beyond help.

timaios
01-15-2011, 01:26 AM

Exactly !

TDMVPDPOY
01-15-2011, 01:30 AM
the great white hope the spurs are banking on.....

DrSteffo
01-15-2011, 01:38 AM

...is Bonner?

Manufan909
01-15-2011, 01:38 AM

I think you're confusing Tiago with Matt. Don't sweat it.:lol

jbspurs
01-15-2011, 01:42 AM
Its not just about scoring, its how you play the game.

SourCandy
01-15-2011, 01:56 AM

I agree. I think you guys have a hidden gem. Of course if you don't want him..send him to LA :wakeup

I actually saw only the 4th qtr and was like WOW TIAGO IS PLAYING?. Saw at least two times splitter was open under the rim and hill just passed it to quin. Both missed. Don't you think you should focus more on splitter in the paint than quin on the 3 point line...:lol

Capt Bringdown
01-15-2011, 02:10 AM
+1

I can't help but to agree with you. He was finally given a substantial amount of minutes, and simply flopped. No other way to put it really. He was very eager to prove himself, and this ultimately led to his demise.

I don't want to make it sound like the sky is falling (and it most certainly isn't) but I would expect just a little more out of him.

Actually, in the 4 games Splitter has played 20+ minutes this season, he's averaging 12 and 6. No excuses, he didn't look great tonite, but that was also one of the worst garbage basketball sessions I've seen in a while from the Spurs. Only 16 pts in the 4th.

Hill, 2 for 9, Neal, 3 for 11, RJ 2 for 7, Quinn 0 for 1; the only person who knew how to put the ball in the basket during that stretch was Blair. I don't think anyone was making Pop very happy in garbage time.

100%duncan
01-15-2011, 02:13 AM
splitter needs some schoolin

01-15-2011, 02:30 AM
just more evidence that splitter is nailed to the bench because he sucks, not just for pop's entertainment.

redzero
01-15-2011, 02:49 AM
Don't worry, the Euroleague MVP will start averaging 20 and 15 once he gets his stride.

DJ Mbenga
01-15-2011, 03:02 AM
he's saving himself for the international games

polandprzem
01-15-2011, 03:38 AM

Are there double shots in this leauge?

Manufan909
01-15-2011, 03:41 AM
If Tiago gets a pass for playing in garbage time with crappy guards, then how do you explain Ian's line? Were his minutes not in the 4th quarter?

Werdsniper2
01-15-2011, 04:09 AM
The garbage time is exactly what worries me, honestly.

MannyIsGod
01-15-2011, 04:17 AM
No shit he would play better with the Big 3. EVERYONE plays better with the Big 3 (except maybe Blair). He's no where near earning playing time with the Big 3 when he can't have a good game against the end of a depleted bench.

He'll get time with the Big 3 when he earns it and thats not even close to happening.

toki9
01-15-2011, 04:23 AM
Another issue with Splitter right now is that he's a half-court oriented, positional player--which means he's ill-suited for the quick-offense style that the team currently plays. But I would expect the game to slow down and Pop to gradually employ more of a half-court attack as playoffs near. I think Splitter would have a better chance at contributing under those circumstances. OTOH, not sure if Pop would play a rookie in the second half of the season if he hasn't played in the first half.

toki9
01-15-2011, 04:28 AM
With Bonner probably out against the Nuggets, Splitter should get a decent burn. In the last game against Denver, Splitter played 21 minutes and had 12 points (6 of 7 shooting) and 9 boards. It should be a little easier on him since he should be very familiar with Nene's play.

KaiRMD1
01-15-2011, 04:46 AM
At this point, I don't really care if Tiago plays a lot this season. The guy is too soft and until he gets tough, he isn't going to excel. MOVING ON!

awktalk
01-15-2011, 04:57 AM

this.

4>0rings
01-15-2011, 05:05 AM
Someone needs to tell Tiago to stop running to the center to take charges, he's not even close 100% of the time and just gets knocked the fuck out.

Blackjack
01-15-2011, 05:18 AM
No shit he would play better with the Big 3. EVERYONE plays better with the Big 3 (except maybe Blair). He's no where near earning playing time with the Big 3 when he can't have a good game against the end of a depleted bench.

He'll get time with the Big 3 when he earns it and thats not even close to happening.

He's a complimentary player, my man. The way he's gonna help this team is by making life easier for the Big 3, not filling in for them.

His best attributes currently are his mobility (on the defensive end and on the offensive end in the pick-and-roll game) and his passing. He's not going to be anything more than a little more physically gifted Oberto if given the chance this year. He's not Scola, and never has been Scola, someone who had a pretty polished offensive post game coming into the NBA.

If he's not going to get any kind of minutes consistently, I'm not sure how he's going to impress anyone -- especially if he's playing the majority of his minutes with ballhandlers that can make the pass off the dribble in the pick-and-roll or don't utilize Tiago as anything more than a means to get their own shot off.

The flip shots are weak and he's looking to draw charges much too often -- he's giving up his size way more than he should -- but I still see the movement and intelligence there to be a really useful piece this year. But he's going to have to play with their best players on a somewhat regular basis -- he needs to see time early in games and Pop should be making it a goal of his to find a handful or more of minutes a night to hand out to him for the betterment of their team and long term outlook.

Tiago can play, the expectations by some that Tim would in some way be passing the torch to him a la Robinson, were just ridiculously unrealistic.

The guy's a complimentary role player . . .

diego
01-15-2011, 05:21 AM
but he's younger and a better fit than scola!:lol sorry couldnt resist

seriously, he spazzes out way too much, that has to be over anxiousness. I'd definitely trade some combo of splitter + bonner/blair for a more reliable bigman. depth doesnt mean nearly as much in the PO

Blackjack
01-15-2011, 05:26 AM
Who's gonna trade a team a better big man for a lesser big man or two?

He has played overanxious and too eager, pressing to try and impress. But it is what it is -- don't see it changing this year with the direction Pop has seemingly chosen.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2011, 05:33 AM
So the answer would be a welfare starting job?

G-Dawgg
01-15-2011, 05:33 AM
This. Tiago is not a garbage time player. He is a team player and needs organised bball, not street ball. He needs a good pg and when he plays with Parker he scores.

In other words he needs to be spoon-fed....?

fyatuk
01-15-2011, 05:35 AM
If the players were more used to playing with Splitter, he would have hit double digit points easily. He got wide up on his way to the basket a bunch of times, and either the pass wasn't made, or it was late.

I was actually kind of impressed.

But he rushes his shots more than Blair on a bad night.

awktalk
01-15-2011, 06:07 AM
If the players were more used to playing with Splitter, he would have hit double digit points easily. He got wide up on his way to the basket a bunch of times, and either the pass wasn't made, or it was late.

That might be the stupidest comment ever posted on this board. Conga rats.

WalterBenitez
01-15-2011, 06:48 AM
I could be banned, but here I go ... he is not Scola, sorry people:lol

mingus
01-15-2011, 06:52 AM
i didn't know that Splitter was this offensively unpolished. he's a good defender, but he doesn't bring enough offensively to the table to warrant playing time other than when Bonner and Blair aren't doing anything out there.

DrSteffo
01-15-2011, 07:05 AM
In other words he needs to be spoon-fed....?

Call it what you want. I see it more like in garbage time he is expected to eat soup with a fork. Some players don't need a spoon (Blair for example) but Splitter is not like that. He needs guards to pass to him when he is open and he is very good at getting open. I am surprised that some people here seem to have had too high expectations of him. I have seen Splitter play for many years and I'm well aware of his limitations.

ShoogarBear
01-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Are there double shots in this leauge?

Yeah, that should have been "single most pathetic shot".

WTF, getting grammar-schooled by Lech Wałęsa.

firecar
01-15-2011, 07:30 AM
i think we will lose more game if he play more time on the floor.:(maybe i expect too much about him.

urunobili
01-15-2011, 08:00 AM
I think the expectations of this board on Tiago were over the top. I have always said he is a poor's man Gasol.

But honestly, the garbage time unit doesn't need gHill running the clock down and bricking contested threes either. Splitter has been open tens of times and he never gets it from Hill.

Just an observation here...

polandprzem
01-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Yeah, that should have been "single most pathetic shot".

WTF, getting grammar-schooled by Lech Wałęsa.

You can read polish letters?

Czyli wychodzi na to, iż mogę pisać polskie znaki na tym forum.

Dzięki Shoog :tu

ploto
01-15-2011, 08:24 AM

He has always been tough on the defensive end and soft on the offensive end. I tried to tell people that he would cause the same frustrations that Rasho did with regards to his preference to shoot little floaters and hooks as opposed to taking it strong to the hole.

BOHOLANO#21
01-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Fuck spurs bench..splitter is not handling the ball so he's not getting any shot...do you guys wondwr why TD's production is lowthis season? coz of guard oriented offense..they're not calling plays for TD often now....splitter only got one when TP did it before he went to bench.......

Spurs Brazil
01-15-2011, 08:28 AM
I don't think we can take much for that time he played. The game was already over and everyone was playing bad, even Neal was horrible

But he must stop with those weak moves on O. That one yesterday was ugly

Arc
01-15-2011, 09:28 AM
you people need to stop expecting so much from splitter every time he steps foot on the court. the dude is rusty as hell from sitting on the bench all year. i mean, take a loot at dice who's a solid vet. he was playing very limited minutes early in the season, and now that he's come back, he's been making bonehead mistakes left and right like that dead ball foul a couple games ago. if a vet needs a few games to shake off the rust, a rookie is definitely going to need time. unfortunately, pop isn't going to give him any this season.

silverblk mystix
01-15-2011, 09:38 AM
I'll go on record here as saying that Splitter will end up being a solid & productive player for the Spurs...in time...

Trash him all you want now and trash anyone who has high hopes for him...but sooner or later he will force Pop to play him important minutes and he will be what he has always been...a really good player who is a winner and that won't be taken away by his rookie play in sporadic minutes.

Mark my words.

Trill Clinton
01-15-2011, 10:03 AM

Fuck that, he sucks. Let him ride the bench and watch the other bigs so he can learn a few thangs.

said7
01-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Everytime he sets a screen he slips it. That shot is not gonna fly.

BlairForceDejuan
01-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Stats are for losers. Watch the game and try to think how his skills will help the team.

I see opponents SF raping Dejuan in the post and opponents PF/C thinking twice before they even try to post up on Splitter.

DrSteffo
01-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Stats are for losers. Watch the game and try to think how his skills will help the team.

Good post. :toast

Rummpd
01-15-2011, 10:23 AM
He did not try to do too much and did not get hurt, no worries there and while he was on the court others were firing shots all over the place.

ChuckD
01-15-2011, 10:36 AM

Or, maybe he's stuck to the bench because that's the extent of his game right now.

My expectations are so low right now that I actually jumped up and yelled when he challenged that guy Jones going to the rim.

rasho8
01-15-2011, 10:37 AM
He got a sweet pass from Parker for a foul and he threaded some very nice passes to guards slashing along the baseline while he was at the top of the arc.

He has good hands and great passing skills. He needs someone to feed him the ball when he is moving off the pick and roll. TP and he did it great earlier in the season. GHill cant seem to grasp the concept of "Hey 7 footer who can run is ACTUALLY running toward the hoop and is open" and he takes an extra two dribbles or passes it to the next guard.

Splitter needs to be set up, obviously, but he can move without the ball pretty damn well and he is VERY mobile for a guy that big.

easy7
01-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Splitter will be ok. I don't think the Spurs were waiting for him all this time for naught.

pjjrfan
01-15-2011, 10:47 AM
He was playing much better at the start of the season, his shot is horrible and he showed some lack of conditining but he was active, rebounded, looked a little lost on the D which is not unusual in the Spurs system for any new player, but he would get put backs, and show up on the stat sheet, the last month or so I noticed his body language is bad, he looks like he doesn't want to be out there, his hustle is completely gone, and consequently he looks bad, I really blame Pop for jerking him around, but at this point you can't really make a case for him since the team itself is playing at a marvelous level, making room for Splitter is not really viable unless an injury changes the scenery. But if a chance comes he has to get out of that mental funk he has gone into, IMO.

polandprzem
01-15-2011, 11:52 AM
He was playing much better at the start of the season, his shot is horrible and he showed some lack of conditining but he was active, rebounded, looked a little lost on the D which is not unusual in the Spurs system for any new player, but he would get put backs, and show up on the stat sheet, the last month or so I noticed his body language is bad, he looks like he doesn't want to be out there, his hustle is completely gone, and consequently he looks bad, I really blame Pop for jerking him around, but at this point you can't really make a case for him since the team itself is playing at a marvelous level, making room for Splitter is not really viable unless an injury changes the scenery. But if a chance comes he has to get out of that mental funk he has gone into, IMO.

Maybe spurs put him in a stranght program. That would mean he have big load of heavy lifting. And it takes time to adjust plus it takes time to get back the freshness of the body.

spursfan1000
01-15-2011, 11:58 AM
He's a choke this season, hopefully he does better in his second season. That's basically all we can hope for because he is not doing anything good enough in garbage time or in practice to earn him more playing time. I was expecting so much more from him.

Chomag
01-15-2011, 12:42 PM
He's a choke this season, hopefully he does better in his second season. That's basically all we can hope for because he is not doing anything good enough in garbage time or in practice to earn him more playing time. I was expecting so much more from him.

Maybe, but that is if Splitter signs with the Spurs for next season. At this pace I would be surprised if he does.

3.4 mil for a victory cigar ugg.

Mel_13
01-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Maybe but that is if Splitter signs with the Spurs for next season. At this pace I would be surprised if he does.

3.4 mil for a victory cigar ugg.

Splitter signed a 3 year contract. He'll be here next season.

EricB
01-15-2011, 12:59 PM
He looked a little too Ron mergers on offense for my tastes last night...

Rev Hill
01-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Had to chime in on this one. Give Splitter a break. He is a rookie coming from overseas, getting less than sporadic minutes (to say the least) and in a system that doesn't fully utilize or focus on the "5" position. Not even a good comparison because different types of players and position, but go back and look at Dirk's rookie stats. Not that impressive numbers and Dirk got about twice the minutes.

Give Tiago time and more importanly a fair opportunity. I look for a definite improvement next year in many aspects, including being stronger after an offseason w/ the Spurs S&C coach.

P.S. Still think he can/will help in the playoffs this season.

ShoogarBear
01-15-2011, 02:01 PM
You can read polish letters?

Czyli wychodzi na to, iż mogę pisać polskie znaki na tym forum.

Dzięki Shoog :tu

Nie ma za co.

DMC
01-15-2011, 02:05 PM
15 (Garbage Time) minutes and...

1 point
3 rebounds
1 assist

Ugh?

Neal didn't look to spiffy in that last stretch either. It's hard to have a good outing when the entire thing is based on chaos, as that last 15 pretty much was.

3-11 and 1-5 from the arc, 5 turnovers... that's not the Neal we're accustomed to seeing. He's not too good at the PG role, but he can at least bring it down the court. I didn't like that really really rushed 3 he took, not even set, on that break.

DMC
01-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Or, maybe he's stuck to the bench because that's the extent of his game right now.

My expectations are so low right now that I actually jumped up and yelled when he challenged that guy Jones going to the rim.

One thing I have noticed, for sure, that's not practice related is that he's not physical. He takes hits, sure, but he's not a banger in the paint like he should be at his size. Blair is a lot more physical than Splitter. Tiago tries to play a finesse game, but he's not good enough to do that in the NBA. Sure he can do it against a bunch of players with day jobs, but here he needs to knock a few guys off their position and lay some wood under the rim. Even if that gets him ejected, so what? We need that from him.

gameFACE
01-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Splitter makes me believe more and more in the idea that "it gets worse before it gets better". But it better get better.

rasho8
01-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Just remember Jefferson from last year. He was terrible. One off season later, he is a fucking beast.

Let it go Spurs fan, you it takes a while to get this system and understand it.

Spurs Brazil
01-15-2011, 05:53 PM
So why has Splitter played in just 29 of 40 games this season, averaging 11:18 per? The simplest, shortest answer is this: He is not one of the Spurs’ top five big men right now.

Tim Duncan, DeJuan Blair, Antonio McDyess and Matt Bonner are all ahead of Splitter in line for minutes right now, and the allotment of available time grows shorter on nights coach Gregg Popovich elects to go small.

Typically, having too much depth on the frontline would be fall under the heading of “good problem to have.” For Spurs fans, who have waited — often impatiently — for Splitter since the Spurs made him the 28th overall pick in the 2007 draft, it is cause for consternation.

“I’m sure that he’s frustrated and would love to be on the court,” Popovich acknowledged. “At the same time he’s been a total team positive, working hard to be ready if called upon. He’s conducted himself in a totally professional manner.”

The bigger Splitter question is this: With 42 games remaining in the regular season, does he still have time to solidify himself as part of Popovich’s playoff rotation?

“We’ll see,” Popovich said, and so will Spurs fans.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/15/no-sweating-splitters-minutes/

BRs.Ganso
01-15-2011, 07:59 PM

Agree

Blair and Bonner plays with Ginobili, Parker, RJ and Duncan... Splitter with Quinn, Neal, McDyess... little difference.

its fun read the posts of this forum... guys think Tiago will be the next Duncan... he's only 28 pick of draft.

DMC
01-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Agree

Blair and Bonner plays with Ginobili, Parker, RJ and Duncan... Splitter with Quinn, Neal, McDyess... little difference.

its fun read the posts of this forum... guys think Tiago will be the next Duncan... he's only 28 pick of draft.

Posting draft positions as evidence of player quality is an open door for ridicule on this forum.

BRs.Ganso
01-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Posting draft positions as evidence of player quality is an open door for ridicule on this forum.

ok, I told shit :lol

buts it's just a example, we can't wait much by him.

Brazil
01-15-2011, 08:36 PM
what an awful thread...

watch the damn game instead!

He is a 7 guy who can run and who has solid Defensive foundation. In 15 mn he did just that. The only thing that bothers me is his lack of rebounds, for the rest he is what we could expect.

Sean Cagney
01-15-2011, 10:57 PM

Maybe, Marions shot is uglier but he hits it alot more.

BTW his FT's are the ugliest maybe? They are just flat out ugly.

MannyIsGod
01-15-2011, 10:59 PM
He's a complimentary player, my man. The way he's gonna help this team is by making life easier for the Big 3, not filling in for them.

His best attributes currently are his mobility (on the defensive end and on the offensive end in the pick-and-roll game) and his passing. He's not going to be anything more than a little more physically gifted Oberto if given the chance this year. He's not Scola, and never has been Scola, someone who had a pretty polished offensive post game coming into the NBA.

If he's not going to get any kind of minutes consistently, I'm not sure how he's going to impress anyone -- especially if he's playing the majority of his minutes with ballhandlers that can make the pass off the dribble in the pick-and-roll or don't utilize Tiago as anything more than a means to get their own shot off.

The flip shots are weak and he's looking to draw charges much too often -- he's giving up his size way more than he should -- but I still see the movement and intelligence there to be a really useful piece this year. But he's going to have to play with their best players on a somewhat regular basis -- he needs to see time early in games and Pop should be making it a goal of his to find a handful or more of minutes a night to hand out to him for the betterment of their team and long term outlook.

Tiago can play, the expectations by some that Tim would in some way be passing the torch to him a la Robinson, were just ridiculously unrealistic.

The guy's a complimentary role player . . .

I don't have extraordinary expectation for Tiago so I'm not sure why you're reminding me he's a role player. The fact of the matter is that role players who play mainly with the big three would do a hell of a lot better in the garbage time minutes than Tiago did. He's the fifth big on this team and at this time he does absolutely nothing better than one of the other bigs available thereby removing any reason to play him with the big 3.

He's not better than Blair, He's not better than Bonner, and He's not better than Antonio so there is absolutely no need for a role player who can't pay better than your other role players at the same position.

The defense he had early in the season has now joined his offense in the tank. If I see him go for another steal at the free throw line or higher I will probably break my TV by throwing something at it and I'm going to assume that Pop feels much the same.

I wasn't expecting a reincarnation of David Robinson, but right now he's not even CLOSE to being the steady productive that was Oberto. He's at the same level of an Ian Mahimni and while he may turn that around in the future there is absolutely no reason to play him with the big three at this point in time.

BlairForceDejuan
01-15-2011, 11:00 PM
all Blair has on defense is to cheat and go after the strip/steal

DMC
01-16-2011, 12:54 AM
all Blair has on defense is to cheat and go after the strip/steal

Too bad you adopted his name prematurely eh? :lmao

DMC
01-16-2011, 12:55 AM
what an awful thread...

He is a 7 guy who can run and who has solid Defensive foundation. In 15 mn he did just that. The only thing that bothers me is his lack of rebounds, for the rest he is what we could expect.

Plus he's from Brazil...

But no agenda in your game, amirite?

Blackjack
01-16-2011, 01:44 AM
I don't have extraordinary expectation for Tiago so I'm not sure why you're reminding me he's a role player. The fact of the matter is that role players who play mainly with the big three would do a hell of a lot better in the garbage time minutes than Tiago did. He's the fifth big on this team and at this time he does absolutely nothing better than one of the other bigs available thereby removing any reason to play him with the big 3.

He's not better than Blair, He's not better than Bonner, and He's not better than Antonio so there is absolutely no need for a role player who can't pay better than your other role players at the same position.

The defense he had early in the season has now joined his offense in the tank. If I see him go for another steal at the free throw line or higher I will probably break my TV by throwing something at it and I'm going to assume that Pop feels much the same.

I wasn't expecting a reincarnation of David Robinson, but right now he's not even CLOSE to being the steady productive that was Oberto. He's at the same level of an Ian Mahimni and while he may turn that around in the future there is absolutely no reason to play him with the big three at this point in time.

I actually kind of used your post to speak to the broader audience/topic, so I wasn't really reminding you or trying to tell you -- specifically -- who and what he is.

Bottom line, the Spurs know who their top-2 bigs are (Duncan and 'Dyess). After that, Blair's there most talented, Bonner's their shooting 4 and Splitter's their best hope to combat the bigger frontlines come the playoffs. They've gotta get the guy some reps and exhaust their options. Passing judgment on what we've seen from Splitter recently in sporadic minutes is futile -- are we to look at what we've seen as of late after he's been made an afterthought or look to all of what we've seen from him overseas and in International play against NBA talent?

Honestly, Splitter's given me the impression on more than one occasion that he sees his minutes as pretty much meaningless. Like he's certain he'll be riding the bench on account of a more talented and ingrained Blair and a player in Bonner that brings something to the table he just can't better him at. I don't like it and I'd love to think I may be off base, but it's been pretty obvious to me. And even if it's a pretty douche mentality (if I'm correct), I couldn't care less if the guy could turn it around with minutes to help the team win. But I expect we'll continue to see spotty play for as long as he keeps being utilized in this manner.

But if he got time with the Big 3, I'm confident you'd see much more of the player we've known him to be and the one he's shown glimpses of this year. And again, you're not going to see what he brings to the table for a contender playing with and against third-string players. Between the star mentality he has (and that's a positive most of the time -- not so much in garbage time) and the skillset he has to offer (screening, passing, rolling, defending), I just don't see where he's going to impress anyone playing mop-up duty.

Pop's made it pretty clear to me that this year isn't for Tiago. I'm simply not buying it; not for the team's long-term objective (championship).

toki9
01-16-2011, 01:54 AM
If Pop intends Tiago to be a long term replacement for someone like Dyess (He wants to retire after this year, and next year's player option is only for half, right?), then bringing him up slowly makes sense.

The problem is that the Spurs' championship window is tiny. Practically speaking, this season is it. Lockout will most likely waste next year, and then you're back with an even older Duncan, Manu, and Parker? Tiago won't be able to plug enough holes 2 years from now even if he does pan out.

toki9
01-16-2011, 01:56 AM
Pop's made it pretty clear to me that this year isn't for Tiago. I'm simply not buying it; not for the team's long-term objective (championship).

This is the part that puzzles me about Pop. I think this is really the last contending year for the Spurs--so to dismiss Tiago for the year seems premature at best on Pop's part.

ElNono
01-16-2011, 02:00 AM
It's evident that Tiago will require a complete re-work of his post game, IMO. Those weak ass oddball semi-layups are not going to cut it in the NBA. That's not going to happen overnight, and most likely will also not happen during the season.
His defense will improve over time because he has good awareness and footwork. His rebounding will also need work though.

ElNono
01-16-2011, 02:03 AM
That said, I also think he's a good extra body to throw out there against the more rugged bigs during the regular season. It'll just save some extra wear and tear on Dice or Tim.

Blackjack
01-16-2011, 02:10 AM
I don't have any real great expectations for his post game. I think Pop and the Spurs view the league as becoming less dominant on paint scores in the traditional sense (post-play from the pivot) and are continuing to gear themselves into that Euro direction -- keeping the middle open with shooting and mobility to compliment the drive-and-kick game.

I view Tiago's offense as being pretty dependent on the playmaking of others, now and moving forward. He'll probably develop a shot at some point -- or rediscover the little bit of one he used to have -- but I view him as essentially a finisher: pick-and-roll game, duck-ins, flash cuts, etc.

Blackjack
01-16-2011, 02:15 AM
That said, I also think he's a good extra body to throw out there against the more rugged bigs during the regular season. It'll just save some extra wear and tear on Dice or Tim.

Yeah. I've given up on him becoming part of this year's team in any real meaningful fashion. If he does, great. I'd love to see it. But Pop doesn't seem to take my advice as much as he used to.

I think I may have said something a little out of line -- and loud enough to where he could here me say it from the comfort of my home all the way down to the AT&T. :depressed

toki9
01-16-2011, 02:22 AM
Yeah. I've given up on him becoming part of this year's team in any real meaningful fashion. If he does, great. I'd love to see it. But Pop doesn't seem to take my advice as much as he used to.

I think I may have said something a little out of line -- and loud enough to where he could here me say it from the comfort of my home all the way down to the AT&T. :depressed

When Tiago was picked 3 years ago, he probably was picked up more for his defensive abilities (P&R especially) than for his offensive abilities (virtually non-existent then, almost non-existent now).

The irony of his situation is that the year he finally comes over, the Spurs decide to focus on offense and become Suns Lite (Sun-Lite?). Oy.

Blackjack
01-16-2011, 03:15 AM
When Tiago was picked 3 years ago, he probably was picked up more for his defensive abilities (P&R especially) than for his offensive abilities (virtually non-existent then, almost non-existent now).

The irony of his situation is that the year he finally comes over, the Spurs decide to focus on offense and become Suns Lite (Sun-Lite?). Oy.

Well, he was more of a value-pick. The Spurs took advantage of the opportunity to get a player that had lottery talent but contract issues prevented those teams from risking such an important pick on him.

I don't think the Spurs were ever under the illusion Tiago was anything more than a solid rotation big at the NBA level -- which isn't something there are a whole lot of these days. Every time I've heard a member of the coaching staff speak to Tiago's ability or game, the two names that always come up are Oberto and Varejao. And while the comparisons have merit and those two players would be quality additions to the team, neither of which would have been confused for a Duncan successor or someone to be Duncan's understudy the way Tim had been for Dave.

It may have been different for Tiago had he come into camp healthy and ready to play from Day 1, but once the Spurs got off to such a hot start and the combination of their long-term approach with Blair (starting him to both develop him and manage minutes for Duncan and 'Dyess) and Bonner's good play, it was just a confluence of events that left Splitter on the outside looking in.

For Pop to go to Splitter now would force him to tell Blair and/or Bonner they're just not going to be good enough no matter what they do. It'd be saying we're going to let this rookie take minutes you could do better with here in the short term because we need him to figure it out long term, basically.

I can't see Pop doing that. He's much more likely to go with what he knows and what's been working, not banking on a rookie being a championship difference maker.

jjktkk
01-16-2011, 04:16 AM
Well, he was more of a value-pick. The Spurs took advantage of the opportunity to get a player that had lottery talent but contract issues prevented those teams from risking such an important pick on him.

I don't think the Spurs were ever under the illusion Tiago was anything more than a solid rotation big at the NBA level -- which isn't something there are a whole lot of these days. Every time I've heard a member of the coaching staff speak to Tiago's ability or game, the two names that always come up are Oberto and Varejao. And while the comparisons have merit and those two players would be quality additions to the team, neither of which would have been confused for a Duncan successor or someone to be Duncan's understudy the way Tim had been for Dave.

It may have been different for Tiago had he come into camp healthy and ready to play from Day 1, but once the Spurs got off to such a hot start and the combination of their long-term approach with Blair (starting him to both develop him and manage minutes for Duncan and 'Dyess) and Bonner's good play, it was just a confluence of events that left Splitter on the outside looking in.

For Pop to go to Splitter now would force him to tell Blair and/or Bonner they're just not going to be good enough no matter what they do. It'd be saying we're going to let this rookie take minutes you could do better with here in the short term because we need him to figure it out long term, basically.

I can't see Pop doing that. He's much more likely to go with what he knows and what's been working, not banking on a rookie being a championship difference maker.

Thats the part that is baffling to me. Splitter was considered a lottery talent,
which means to be that he would be much more talented than just a roatation guy. I wasn't expecting Splitter to get major minutes this year, but I was expecting him to be in the rotation by now. From what little I've seen of Splitter play this year, the only positives I can take away are his footwork. Splitter needs to get stronger and his post game needs to be completely overhauled.

ShoogarBear
01-16-2011, 05:07 AM
Thats the part that is baffling to me. Splitter was considered a lottery talent,
which means to be that he would be much more talented than just a roatation guy. I wasn't expecting Splitter to get major minutes this year, but I was expecting him to be in the rotation by now. From what little I've seen of Splitter play this year, the only positives I can take away are his footwork. Splitter needs to get stronger and his post game needs to be completely overhauled.

The success rate of big men "lottery talent" over the years isn't overwhelming, so saying that Splitter belongs in that group is still a correct statement.

temujin
01-16-2011, 06:14 AM
What a cheerful bunch of posters.

Basically saying the Spurs have ZERO possibilities to come out of the West.

Because Bonner cannot guard Gasol/Bynum/Odom, will start missing those 3s in the PO, as he has ALWAYS done, and Blair is 6.5, and no team has won a title with a 6.5 center, with the exception of Unseld's Bullets.

So no Splitter, no Finals.

Now, of course the Mavs could eliminate the Lakers.........

Brazil
01-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Plus he's from Brazil...

I'm french, I have no agenda, look at the flag. I'm just living in Brazil, if not for the spurs I wouldn't give a damn about if Splitter is good or not.

ploto
01-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Because Bonner cannot guard Gasol/Bynum/Odom, will start missing those 3s in the PO, as he has ALWAYS done, and Blair is 6.5, and no team has won a title with a 6.5 center, with the exception of Unseld's Bullets.

So no Splitter, no Finals.

Antonio McDyess says hello.

cutewizard
01-16-2011, 12:16 PM
what an awful thread...

Correct.

Mel_13
01-16-2011, 12:23 PM

Sarcasm says hello.

Chomag
01-16-2011, 12:33 PM
I just hope not acclimating Splitter doesn't come back and bite the Spurs in the playoffs. If it's Blair and Bonner as our contributors for the playoffs then so be it. It will be what it will be.

I just hope it turns out for the best.

Blackjack
01-16-2011, 04:12 PM
The success rate of big men "lottery talent" over the years isn't overwhelming, so saying that Splitter belongs in that group is still a correct statement.

Exactly. Teams in the Lottery are usually looking for a player they can hit it out of the ballpark with but rarely does that wind up being the case. So if you can get a big that's about as close to a "sure thing" as you'll find -- a legit rotation player that can fill a need to be a piece of the big picture puzzle -- it's a much safer and smarter bet to select him than gamble on some upside that may or may not be there.

MannyIsGod
01-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Pop hasn't decided this year isn't for Tiago, Tiago has. You say he's mailing it in and then proceed to blame Pop? Gary Neal is getting playing time. James Anderson was getting playing time. Pop has been playing the youth, but Tiago has just sucked.

He has potential, but right now the guy simply isn't that good. Thats pretty much the bottom line.

rr2418
01-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Wow, first of all I'm honored to be among the greatest coaches here on ST. Second of all, we don't know what Pop's instructions were. He could've told the second unit to run set plays. Like someone pointed out, it depends on the PG. Tony goes out and Tiago doesn't get the ball anymore. Geeeshh... :rolleyes

Capt Bringdown
01-16-2011, 08:33 PM

Dice is without doubt the most over-rated Spur on this forum. That's not to say he's a positive asset, but at his age he's not the super-sub some are making him out to be.
What we need is a squad of serviceable bigs, not the slim hope that Dice can overcome father time in the playoffs.

DMC
01-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Dice is without doubt the most over-rated Spur on this forum. That's not to say he's a positive asset, but at his age he's not the super-sub some are making him out to be.
What we need is a squad of serviceable bigs, not the slim hope that Dice can overcome father time in the playoffs.
So you would prefer to hope the squad of "serviceable bigs" could overcome mediocrity instead? I will take Dice over these "serviceable bigs" you mention. What the hell is that anyhow?

DMC
01-16-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm french, I have no agenda, look at the flag. I'm just living in Brazil, if not for the spurs I wouldn't give a damn about if Splitter is good or not.
Didn't I say that? I guess I wasn't creative enough with my English to impress upon you my intent.

Yorae
01-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Isn't Tiago like, newly wed? He probably isn't used to spending too much energy on bed then on court....

Blackjack
01-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Pop hasn't decided this year isn't for Tiago, Tiago has. You say he's mailing it in and then proceed to blame Pop? Gary Neal is getting playing time. James Anderson was getting playing time. Pop has been playing the youth, but Tiago has just sucked.

He has potential, but right now the guy simply isn't that good. Thats pretty much the bottom line.

When did I blame Pop? Not agreeing with him is one thing, blaming's another.

The team's 34-6 ... not sure what I could be blaming him for.

Tiago played well when he first started getting minutes and has regressed pretty much ever since. Which leads me to believe, in combination with his body language and urgency of play, that he's fighting an unwinnable battle for minutes in his view.

One other thing that has to be considered is how much Chip and Co. have been working on his shot and game. He may not be sulking as much as all of the retooling has him thinking out there more than reacting, which could very well be the case -- just got done listening to Tiago talk about how they've been working on his shot.

But regardless, the guy doesn't suck. This is a proven player. He's not some future star or anything but given the opportunity to play minutes, get a rhythm and learn his teammates (namely the Big 3), we'll all begin to see the player he truly is and what he's capable of bringing to a contender.

Pop doesn't believe Splitter's upside and potential this year is that of someone who gives them a better chance at long-term success than Blair or Bonner. That's what I've comes to believe, anyway. I disagree -- I believe the Spurs are going to need Splitter and the only way he'll be what they need him to be is to have him get his reps, take his lumps and figure out his role out by the time the postseason rolls around.

Rummpd
01-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Tonight vs. Denver in 8.06 min 3 pts/2 boards/and a hell of a block and Spurs made a run with him in there and he intimitated on a few other shots.

Just let him play and he will produce and it is nice to see a true legit big out there when TD is not.

Rummpd
01-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Tonight vs. Denver first half: in 8.06 min 3 pts/2 boards/and a hell of a block and Spurs made a run with him in there and he intimitated on a few other shots.

http://www.nba.com/games/20110116/DENSAS/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp0021000597#nbaGIboxscore

Just let him play and he will produce and it is nice to see a true legit big out there when TD is not.

ChuckD
01-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Tonight vs. Denver first half: in 8.06 min 3 pts/2 boards/and a hell of a block and Spurs made a run with him in there and he intimitated on a few other shots.

http://www.nba.com/games/20110116/DENSAS/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp0021000597#nbaGIboxscore

He's minus 3, so was obviously NOT in there for the big run.

He's been OK tonight. LOVED to see him challenge and erase JR Smith's shot at the rim. Frankly, though, if I'm the opposition, I'd just foul him any time he got close enough for a layup. He's horrible at the line. Any further out, and I'd take any little flip shot he throws up in stride.

Rummpd
01-16-2011, 10:36 PM
He bridged the part where Denver created its lead and the Spurs did make a major move up and by the time Duncan came back in the Spurs were near or at the lead. Splitter did have a ball swiped from him and missed a close in shot but otherwise he did better and again it shows: 1) Pop has at least some faith in him; 2) he is not worthless as some recently have suggested but has the potential to be a big to fill a key need at the right time for the Spurs going forward.

TD 21
01-16-2011, 11:49 PM

Pop's had no choice but to play them, considering the fact that they're the only backup wings on the team. Granted, Hill plays almost half of his minutes at the two, but still. There is no Blair, Bonner or McDyess on the wings to play ahead of them.

ClingingMars
01-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Tiago smash

Blackjack
01-17-2011, 03:04 AM
He's minus 3, so was obviously NOT in there for the big run.

He's been OK tonight. LOVED to see him challenge and erase JR Smith's shot at the rim. Frankly, though, if I'm the opposition, I'd just foul him any time he got close enough for a layup. He's horrible at the line. Any further out, and I'd take any little flip shot he throws up in stride.

He was minus 3 on account of Harrington hitting a decently contested 3-ball. When he came in they were down one, when the first quarter ended they were down 4.

But I assume Rummpd was speaking to the 11-1 run Splitter was apart of to finish his second stint. That run allowed the Spurs to tread water and play the Nuggets even during the second quarter and wound up being the setup for the big run of 19-0 a minute and a half later.

MaNu4Tres
01-17-2011, 03:08 AM
When did I blame Pop? Not agreeing with him is one thing, blaming's another.

The team's 34-6 ... not sure what I could be blaming him for.

Tiago played well when he first started getting minutes and has regressed pretty much ever since. Which leads me to believe, in combination with his body language and urgency of play, that he's fighting an unwinnable battle for minutes in his view.

One other thing that has to be considered is how much Chip and Co. have been working on his shot and game. He may not be sulking as much as all of the retooling has him thinking out there more than reacting, which could very well be the case -- just got done listening to Tiago talk about how they've been working on his shot.

But regardless, the guy doesn't suck. This is a proven player. He's not some future star or anything but given the opportunity to play minutes, get a rhythm and learn his teammates (namely the Big 3), we'll all begin to see the player he truly is and what he's capable of bringing to a contender.

Pop doesn't believe Splitter's upside and potential this year is that of someone who gives them a better chance at long-term success than Blair or Bonner. That's what I've comes to believe, anyway. I disagree -- I believe the Spurs are going to need Splitter and the only way he'll be what they need him to be is to have him get his reps, take his lumps and figure out his role out by the time the postseason rolls around.

G-Dawgg
01-17-2011, 04:10 AM
Anybody still comparing Tiago to Oberto needs a smack upside the head.. Oberto was a GOOD player, Tiago sucks. Don't insult Oberto by comparing him to Splitter.

Spurs da champs
01-17-2011, 04:47 AM
Tiago is a much better player than McDyess. McDyess should already be retired. He's totally washed up.

SMH
:rolleyes

ChumpDumper
01-17-2011, 04:50 AM
lol greece

ChumpDumper
01-17-2011, 05:40 AM
ChumpDumper (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=153) This message is hidden because ChumpDumper is on your ignore list (http://spurstalk.com/forums/profile.php?do=ignorelist).When you post that on my profile page, that isn't ignoring me.

That'll show him. Opa!

rasho8
01-17-2011, 09:34 AM
When you post that on my profile page, that isn't ignoring me.

That'll show him. Opa!

In case he does let me let him in on it

LOL GREECE!

I think MFKBP is just mad because A1 isn't as good as the ACB. So anything he can say to talk bad about the ACB is going to make him happy... or is it a she? I forget, its been a while.

Mel_13
01-17-2011, 09:38 AM
In case he does let me let him in on it

LOL GREECE!

I think MFKBP is just mad because A1 isn't as good as the ACB. So anything he can say to talk bad about the ACB is going to make him happy... or is it a she? I forget, its been a while.

Hell, once you get past Oly and Pana, the rest of the A1 isn't as good as the Dleague.

lol MFKBP

lol ignoring by posting that you're ignoring.

temujin
01-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Hell, once you get past Oly and Pana, the rest of the A1 isn't as good as the Dleague.

lol MFKBP

lol ignoring by posting that you're ignoring.

How ignorant is it to ignore ignoring the ones you are set to ignore?

Euroleague Top 16 this year, 5 teams from ACB, 2 Greek teams.
Euroleague Top 16 last year, 4 ACB, 3 greek teams. Winner, ACB team.

MannyIsGod
01-17-2011, 03:38 PM
the last time there was an nba lockout was during a time when the us economy was greatly, exceedingly stronger and better than it is now. If there is an nba lockout next season, the chances are very good that there will not be an nba season.

The nba will not survive if it allows anything remotely close to what it allowed the last time. They will simply close the nba and it will cease to exist, long before they give anything remotely near what they gave last time.

On the other hand, you have a bunch of incredibly delusional, retarded, fools that think they are really worth those salaries and will want to hold out.

So don't hold your breath if you are actually expecting there to be a season if there is a lockout. Because the situation is much different than it was the last time it happened.

lol

DMC
01-17-2011, 03:46 PM
How many times does it have to be explained to you that Splitter was the same exact player in Europe that he is in the NBA? You can't seem to grasp it. You seem to think he just wrecked guys in Europe and now all of a sudden he can't play because he is adjusting to the NBA......

implying that once he adjusted to the NBA he would solve those issues.

He was always soft and weak in Euroleague. Spurs fans are just unbelievably delusional homers when it comes to the level of some of their players. Splitter was always considered to be one of the softest and weakest centers in Euroleague.

He isn't going to solve those problems just by adjusting in time to the "NBA". He simply is NOT that kind of player. Once again, he is a guy to guard the Dirk, Pau, Garnett types of players.

If he could not guard physical players in Europe, why is he being expected to in the NBA? It makes no sense. That was never what he did at any time in his career.

What you don't seem to grasp is that RJ was who he was as well when he came to the Spurs. Now he's playing better defense, he spent the Summer months working on fundamentals, and he's an asset to the team.

The almost indescribably great different between the most other franchises, including those in the Euro league, and the Spurs is that the Spurs organization DEVELOPS players. It doesn't just settle with what a player brings to the table. If we did that, we would be the Timberwolves, the Kings or the Clippers.

We (Spurs fans) don't expect Tiago to be what he was in Euro league play. We expect him to be what the Spurs need him to be through development based training.

It's a strange concept for player fans, I know, but team and game fans generally understand that potential exists in players that wasn't necessarily discovered on their previous team (See Roger Mason Jr as an example).

So hesh up fool.

DMC
01-17-2011, 03:49 PM
lol

Dude, closing the NBA isn't funny. What happens when someone shows up late the next morning and we end up standing outside for hours just to get back in?

wontstartdumbthreads
01-17-2011, 03:50 PM
What you don't seem to grasp is that RJ was who he was as well when he came to the Spurs. Now he's playing better defense, he spent the Summer months working on fundamentals, and he's an asset to the team.

The almost indescribably great different between the most other franchises, including those in the Euro league, and the Spurs is that the Spurs organization DEVELOPS players. It doesn't just settle with what a player brings to the table. If we did that, we would be the Timberwolves, the Kings or the Clippers.

We (Spurs fans) don't expect Tiago to be what he was in Euro league play. We expect him to be what the Spurs need him to be through development based training.

It's a strange concept for player fans, I know, but team and game fans generally understand that potential exists in players that wasn't necessarily discovered on their previous team (See Roger Mason Jr as an example).

So hesh up fool.

Right. Because the Spurs have been really successful at developing big men.

rmt
01-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Tiago is a much better player than McDyess. McDyess should already be retired. He's totally washed up.

If Dice is totally washed up, Spurs are in a load of trouble because Dice will be the one closing games with TD in the playoffs. He's still the 2nd best big after Duncan - just can't play that much or that often.

Bonner is injured. I don't see any reason why Pop can't give Splitter some PT as long as it isn't costing them games. Play him with Manu - can't stand to see him out there with Hill and RJ who never pass the ball.

Splitter seriously needs to calm down when he's out there. That fall last night looked dangerous. Guess he's over-eager since he doesn't get much PT.

BRs.Ganso
01-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Prior to last year, the ACB had won 3 out of the last 30 Euroleague titles. It's amazing that you would brag about that league, when it manages just to win 1 out of 10 championships.

The Mediterranean League, where Panathinaikos, Olympiacos, and Aris will play starting next season has 6 Euroleague teams, not 2. And it will have 9 Euroleague teams in the following season. But yes, the ACB with 4 or 5 is "better".....:lol:lmao:rollin:blah:rolleyes

As usual, you prove that you know zero about European basketball and that you are nothing but a troll.

are u greek?

rasho8
01-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Yes he is.

Also LOL GREECE your basketball league only has 2 good teams, and the rest of Eastern Europe each country has ONE good team. So they went and formed a league and told the rest of their scrub leagues they weren't playing with them anymore.

So all the scrub leagues in Europe will send their really good teams to the new league and have 9 teams from these countries Greece, Italy, Serbia, Turkey, Israel, Cyprus and Bulgaria plus possibly more.

And the ACB alone sends 5.

Sounds like the ACB is still the best league considering Spain alone can send 5 teams tot he Euroleague championship.

ChuckD
01-17-2011, 05:01 PM
are u greek?

He plays one on the internets, but he's really from Pig's Knuckle Arkansas.

Mel_13
01-17-2011, 05:03 PM
are u greek?

He's a fake Greek.

He's also a fake Spurs fan.

Mostly he's just fake, except in his Spanoulis love. That's real.

rasho8
01-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Mostly he's just fake, except in his Spanoulis love. That's real.

This is so true it isnt funny. I wonder if he has Spanoulis bed sheets.

wontstartdumbthreads
01-17-2011, 05:17 PM
This is so true it isnt funny. I wonder if he has Spanoulis bed sheets.

I think consistently going Greek could certainly lead to bed sheets. But more embarassing would be sheeting himself in public.

Werdsniper2
01-17-2011, 05:48 PM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/san-antonio-spurs-110-denver-nuggets-97-a-second-quarter-run-is-the-difference

"A second quarter run that was kick-started by defensive energy from Tiago Splitter (yes, Tiago Splitter)"

At least he gets some recognition.

Brutalis
01-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I careless about the Tiago debate but the fact is he looks soft and confused.

BRs.Ganso
01-17-2011, 05:57 PM
he's Greek... this explains he's why he hates Splitter and ACB... :lmao

Greece economy = fail

DMC
01-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Right. Because the Spurs have been really successful at developing big men.

The only two notable big men they've had in a long time were Dave and Tim. Rasho was pretty good, and Oberto was good. The rest were bottom rung players that the Spurs made do with.

Tell me ONE big man that the Spurs did not develop, who was developed beyond his Spurs skillset by some other team.

temujin
01-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Prior to last year, the ACB had won 3 out of the last 30 Euroleague titles. It's amazing that you would brag about that league, when it manages just to win 1 out of 10 championships.

The Mediterranean League, where Panathinaikos, Olympiacos, and Aris will play starting next season has 6 Euroleague teams, not 2. And it will have 9 Euroleague teams in the following season. But yes, the ACB with 4 or 5 is "better".....:lol:lmao:rollin:blah:rolleyes

As usual, you prove that you know zero about European basketball and that you are nothing but a troll.

:lmao

Vasilakopoulos katopoulos stuff.
He got defeated for FIBA president last year (guess what, another greek losing. Guess what, no more fucking grecian team winning euroleague), and he wants to form a Mediterranean "league".
A mediterranean without Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, France, and Spain.

Good luck with Cyprus, but only the greek part of it!

Is Moldova included??

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Aren't you just tired of writing idiotic stuff?
Don't you have a father that checks out once in a while what an amazing amount of stupidity you are inondating the internet with?

Werdsniper2
01-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Manu_Forever has some strange obsession with Splitter.

It's like he wakes up and gets excited to hate.

Capt Bringdown
01-17-2011, 07:37 PM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/san-antonio-spurs-110-denver-nuggets-97-a-second-quarter-run-is-the-difference

"A second quarter run that was kick-started by defensive energy from Tiago Splitter (yes, Tiago Splitter)"

At least he gets some recognition.

Splitter plays much better defense than Blair. Pop's refusal to start Splitter over Blair is puzzling to say the least.

In the PO's, Pop's going to be forced to bench Blair, and then we're left with Dice attempting to hold down the fort. And that's going to be painful.

DMC
01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
I thought last night that Pop is probably wishing he would have played Splitter more minutes, because if Dice goes down, he's pretty much hosed at that position. At least let's learn Splitter's areas of improvement so we can work on ways around his weaknesses.

Brazil
01-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Plus he's from Brazil...

Didn't I say that? I guess I wasn't creative enough with my English to impress upon you my intent.

I'm sure you will forgive my poor english understanding skills but I thought you were saying that I had an agenda when it comes to Splitter because my user name is Brazil.

Anyway he played ok against Denver didn't he ?

DMC
01-17-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm sure you will forgive my poor english understanding skills but I thought you were saying that I had an agenda when it comes to Splitter because my user name is Brazil.

Anyway he played ok against Denver didn't he ?

Sure, he played his ass off, almost literally. :toast

ezau
01-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Splitter looked good last night. He displayed good energy and excellent defense in limited minutes. He's gonna get more played time especially after the All-Star break, POP simply doesn't have a choice but to play this kid.

rr2418
01-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Again, it really makes no sense to expect him to suddenly develop a low post game at age 26. He never had one in Europe, so why is he expected to have one now in the NBA and to suddenly gain it at age 26?

It's completely unrealistic and makes no sense. If the Spurs want scoring from Splitter they need to use him in the pick and roll and pair him with Manu. That's how he scores, along with some put backs from offensive rebounds.

I will explain it here YET AGAIN. Splitter never had any post game, nor one to one game in Europe. His entire offense was getting layups and dunks off of wide open spoon fed passes off the pick and roll from two of the best passers on the planet, Prigioni and Huertas.

Other than that, he scored from some offensive put backs on offensive rebounds and on some free throws when he would get fouled. He NEVER had any individual offensive skills.

It is totally unrealistic to expect him to have to develop this now at age 26. The Spurs simply will either use Splitter in the pick and roll with Manu creating for him, or they can expect him to be a minimal scorer. It is that simple.

You make it seem like he had a post game in Europe, but it isn't good enough for the NBA and that he can work on it and then get it good enough for the NBA. The problem with this theory is that he in fact never had any low post game in Europe.

I really want to know where all the ideas and views of Splitter on the forum came from. It can't all be from that idiot Sean Elliott and from the fake Euro homer trolls. I mean there is such an incredible disconnect here with the type of player Splitter actually is, to what the fans seem to think he is, that it's just really strange.

He is like the 180 complete opposite in every single aspect of what Spurs fans seem to think he is. I guess it just proves that 99.99 percent of NBA fans have never seen a basketball game that was not NBA in their whole lives. But it is still really strange that the whole forum here is so totally confused as to just what type of player Splitter is.

In the 3 previous years since the Spurs drafted him, did anyone here ever, even one time, watch him play a Euroleague game? It sure the hell does not seem like it from the comments people make about him here...

Don't take this the wrong way b/c this is a legit question. Where did you see him play international ball? TV? I really have no opinion of him b/c I've never seen him play before he came to the Spurs. All I know is Pop and the rest of the staff see something in him and believe he can help the team. I know as a fan we all sometimes like to think we know more than the coaches do. The teams send scouts over seas to see them play and when they're finally here, they see them everyday at practice. Again, I'm just wondering.

temujin
01-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Don't take this the wrong way b/c this is a legit question. Where did you see him play international ball? TV? I really have no opinion of him b/c I've never seen him play before he came to the Spurs. All I know is Pop and the rest of the staff see something in him and believe he can help the team. I know as a fan we all sometimes like to think we know more than the coaches do. The teams send scouts over seas to see them play and when they're finally here, they see them everyday at practice. Again, I'm just wondering.

As soon as Splitter starts to understand the way the game is called in the NBA, and as long as those PnR with Manu will start looking like the ones he has played with Prigioni and Marcelinho for YEARS,
everything is going to fall in place with Splitter.

NBA playoffs are going to be a lot more physical and that's when Splitter will be OK, provided that he gets some valuable minute from now on.

Mel_13
01-18-2011, 05:27 PM
I've seen just about all of his Euroleague games the last 3 years on TV.

The backyard of MFKBP's house in Arkansas:

http://www.shelburnefilms.com/media/STO-SmallDishFarm.jpg

Also, NBA fans greatly exaggerate the level and amount of scouting that NBA teams do in Europe. GREATLY exaggerate it.

An NBA team might scout a guy twice in a year in Europe, and usually no more than once. For some reason, NBA fans think every NBA team has a personal on-call scout for every team in Europe.

The truth is that NBA teams scout a player in Europe that they might be interested in about 1-2 times in an entire season.

How could you possibly know this? Do they scan the crowd at the Euroleague games you watch on your TV in Arkansas for NBA scouts. Do these guys wear big signs identifying which team they work for? Do you keep a running tally of which scout attends which game?

awktalk
01-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Does anyone have the video of this? http://www.48minutesofhell.com/it-started-out-so-promising

Werdsniper2
01-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Does anyone have the video of this? http://www.48minutesofhell.com/it-started-out-so-promising

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXaxWbtbHSw

awktalk
01-18-2011, 08:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXaxWbtbHSw

:lol:lol:lol thanks.

Capt Bringdown
01-18-2011, 08:29 PM
NBA playoffs are going to be a lot more physical and that's when Splitter will be OK, provided that he gets some valuable minute from now on.

I'd be shocked if Pop utilizes Splitter in the playoffs. I'm afraid that ship has already sailed.

awktalk
01-18-2011, 08:48 PM
I'd be shocked if Pop utilizes Splitter in the playoffs. I'm afraid that ship has already sailed.

We'll have plenty of Splitter sightings when we're up 20 in the 4th. Other than that, God willing, we should see his soft ass nailed to the end of the bench. This is not his year.

VI_Massive
01-18-2011, 10:25 PM

Oh god, why would you ever want to watch that more than once? So scary and painful-looking.

temujin
01-19-2011, 04:27 AM

How could you possibly know this? Do they scan the crowd at the Euroleague games you watch on your TV in Arkansas for NBA scouts. Do these guys wear big signs identifying which team they work for? Do you keep a running tally of which scout attends which game?

There are companies of scouting in major european countries. They have scouts specializing in the european and US leagues.
My kid's coach works for one of them.
He scouts the NCAA and was specifically very high on Blair, signalling him to a couple of teams here. He couldn't believe he would not go in the first round. The minute Spurs picked him up, he told these teams to move on, Spurs not the type of organization to let him down.

All top 16 Euroleague players get scouted each game they play.

This KBP guy is a complete idiot.

temujin
01-19-2011, 04:29 AM
We'll have plenty of Splitter sightings when we're up 20 in the 4th. Other than that, God willing, we should see his soft ass nailed to the end of the bench. This is not his year.

I have seen Splitter, Spurs down 6 in the first, against Nene and Martin.
Bonner wasn't playing?
Did he actually play a single post-season game?

jjktkk
01-19-2011, 04:31 AM

They have a Hello "I'm a NBA scout" tag on their forehead. :lol

Mel_13
01-19-2011, 12:25 PM
The lies from these fake Euro homer trolls never end. Everything I typed is 100% true. The ONLY time an NBA team actually sends a scout to a game to watch a player is ONCE or maybe TWICE a year. That is it.

Anyone saying otherwise is a complete troll and a liar and does not even know the most basic of information about the NBA.

lol MFKBP

lol Arkansas

lol everything I say is true

Prove it or STFU.

wontstartdumbthreads
01-19-2011, 12:42 PM

I'm wondering if it ever will be his year.

I know it's not apples to apples but Darko came to the NBA with huge hype and promise but never panned out. I would say that many thought that he would have some kind of impact in the NBA, albeit not worth a second pick. But the point being that if someone like Milicic come over to the NBA and barely make an impact, why does anyone think Tiago is?
Maybe he makes small contributions here or there but there's no reason to think he's going to be an impact player. What other foreign bigs (white foreign bigs) with his body type have had any impact.
He's like a Ralph Sampson that can't play basketball.

temujin
01-19-2011, 01:19 PM
The lies from these fake Euro homer trolls never end. Everything I typed is 100% true. The ONLY time an NBA team actually sends a scout to a game to watch a player is ONCE or maybe TWICE a year. That is it.

Anyone saying otherwise is a complete troll and a liar and does not even know the most basic of information about the NBA.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Oh sure, they are sending a scout to GREECE once or twice a year.
If at all.
First there is nobody to scout in greece.
Second, he never gets there anyway, because of the strikes.
The last one had to ride a goat through Albania.

Werdsniper2
01-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Well, since Bonner apparently isn't playing tonight...

It's Splitter time!

Let's see if we can get some good minutes out of him.

Brazil
01-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Sure, he played his ass off, almost literally. :toast

:lol

ChumpDumper
01-19-2011, 08:39 PM
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Oh sure, they are sending a scout to GREECE once or twice a year.
If at all.
First there is nobody to scout in greece.
Second, he never gets there anyway, because of the strikes.
The last one had to ride a goat through Albania.Well, there are those former D-League players that dominate the Greek league.

They might be worth a look for a summer league invite.

No Greeks, though. God, no.