PDA

View Full Version : Small Ball = 34 - 6

greyforest
01-15-2011, 09:35 AM
After years of SpursTalk regulars complaining about small ball, I haven't heard a single mention of it this entire season. This is very interesting to me.

If there's anyone out there still bitching about small ball, lets hear it!

Mel_13
01-15-2011, 09:46 AM
The Spurs are playing less small ball than they have in years.

DrSteffo
01-15-2011, 09:47 AM
What do you mean by small ball exactly OP?

Leetonidas
01-15-2011, 09:47 AM
The Spurs aren't playing small ball more, they are just using a small PF more. We haven't seen too much small ball, just a lot of three guard lineups with a combo of Duncan/Blair or Blair/Bonner or Dice/Bonner.

polandprzem
01-15-2011, 09:50 AM
It's not a small ball man. We are winning.

If we were losing it would be small ball

ChuckD
01-15-2011, 12:15 PM
It's not a small ball man. We are winning.

If we were losing it would be small ball

E-RockWill
01-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Thread fail.

8FOR!3
01-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I don't call:

Tony Parker
Gary Neal
George Hill
Antonio McDyess/DeJuan Blair
Matt Bonner/Tim Duncan

Small ball.

When you have a legit PF/C in that situation it just means you're running three guards. Hill can guard SFs anyways.

Mark in Austin
01-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Pop is still going small, but I've seen two developments that have made small lineups more successful:

First, when the Spurs go small, every player on the floor is a threat to score. The Spurs MO of having a designated perimeter stopper with little to no offensive game has disappeared from the small lineups. Seems pretty basic, but for a small lineup to succeed it has to be able to scramble the opposing team's defense. If the other team doesn't have to pay attention to one of the players (as an example from last year, Bogans) in the small lineup, it's easier to defend against it.

Second, the Spurs have been hitting from distance with more consistency this year. The small lineup wouldn't be nearly as effective if Bonner was only shooting 32% and if Neal and (when he was healthy) Anderson were bricking threes in the fourth quarter instead of making them at the rate they have been.

underdawg
01-15-2011, 12:52 PM
After years of SpursTalk regulars complaining about small ball, I haven't heard a single mention of it this entire season. This is very interesting to me.

If there's anyone out there still bitching about small ball, lets hear it!

but still 0fer for rings

I'm enjoying the record and the season so far, but I know the Spurs haven't really been tested (the West has been crappy so far) and their record won't vindicate anything unless the Spurs win the championship.

Also, a heavy dose of Bonner/Blair might not be technically small ball, but it's close in comparison

Cane
01-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Using small-ball lineups has won a few games for the Spurs (or at least one anyway). Spurs are simply small at the forward positions with Anderson injured and having Bonner and Blair.

igruex
01-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Pop is still going small, but I've seen two developments that have made small lineups more successful:

First, when the Spurs go small, every player on the floor is a threat to score. The Spurs MO of having a designated perimeter stopper with little to no offensive game has disappeared from the small lineups. Seems pretty basic, but for a small lineup to succeed it has to be able to scramble the opposing team's defense. If the other team doesn't have to pay attention to one of the players (as an example from last year, Bogans) in the small lineup, it's easier to defend against it.

Second, the Spurs have been hitting from distance with more consistency this year. The small lineup wouldn't be nearly as effective if Bonner was only shooting 32% and if Neal and (when he was healthy) Anderson were bricking threes in the fourth quarter instead of making them at the rate they have been.

Moreover this year we tweaked the defense approach a little (a lot of swarming and faster rotations) it's working well so far.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-15-2011, 01:54 PM
It's easy to say it works when guys like Neal are filling up the basket.

Where the rubber will meet the road is in the playoffs. And so far, smallball is 0fortitle.

Slomo
01-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Small Ball = 28?

Vito Corleone
01-15-2011, 02:39 PM
winning is winning. If we are winning with small ball then who cares. This is a smart tough team that is not going to beat themselves, and when we need to rely on Duncan come playoff time we can because he is Tim Fuck'n Duncan and still a guy that can throw down 20 and 10 when we need him to. The difference is come May and June, he won't be worn down from carrying this team like in years past.

Pero
01-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Small Ball = 28?

:lol

DeadlyDynasty
01-15-2011, 03:14 PM
winning is winning. If we are winning with small ball then who cares. This is a smart tough team that is not going to beat themselves, and when we need to rely on Duncan come playoff time we can because he is Tim Fuck'n Duncan and still a guy that can throw down 20 and 10 when we need him to. The difference is come May and June, he won't be worn down from carrying this team like in years past.

http://www.mutr.co.uk/images/iron_pyrite.jpg

DeadlyDynasty
01-15-2011, 03:14 PM
but still 0fer for rings

I'm enjoying the record and the season so far, but I know the Spurs haven't really been tested (the West has been crappy so far) and their record won't vindicate anything unless the Spurs win the championship.

Also, a heavy dose of Bonner/Blair might not be technically small ball, but it's close in comparison

It's easy to say it works when guys like Neal are filling up the basket.

Where the rubber will meet the road is in the playoffs. And so far, smallball is 0fortitle.

qft

itzsoweezee
01-15-2011, 03:22 PM
1. Spurs are playing less small ball than ever.

2. Spurs are playing small ball only with quality players. Gone are the days of Popovich playing small ball with shitty players like Mike Finley, et al. I.e., Popovich is outsmarting himself less than usual.

ShoogarBear
01-15-2011, 03:45 PM
How many times this year has Michael Finley been the power forward again?

Blackjack
01-15-2011, 03:51 PM
The Spurs are playing less small ball than they have in years.

That post said what's up to Albert Pujols' homer off of Brad Lidge on its way by -- and confirmed that it still hadn't landed last it checked the rear view . . .

ShoogarBear
01-15-2011, 03:57 PM
That post said what's up to Albert Pujols' homer off of Brad Lidge on its way by -- and confirmed that it still hadn't landed last it checked the rear view . . .

lolwut of the day

Spurs da champs
01-15-2011, 04:10 PM
We can't keep winning like this.