PDA

View Full Version : So is Splitter still >>>Blair?

Sofaking
01-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Not to turn teammates against each other as we've seen on here with Manu vs Parker, but from reading a few threads this morning got me feeling like a lot of people have lowered their expectation of him. I didnt watch the 4th qtr last night, but apparently, he did little to nothing(statsheet wise). Do you still want him out there starting? Or do you think he should earn his minutes.

Contrary to popular belief, I do not hate Splitter. Coming into the season, I had him starting. I am a Blair fan yes, but I became even a bigger fan of his after what seemed like blatant hate on him, for some mental mistakes that I've seen Splitter, Dice, and even Duncan make. There have been starting bigs on championship teams that has been Blair size. I dont get that whole he's too small crap

ChuckD
01-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Still? Doesn't that require that he at one point was?

ulosturedge
01-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Splitter is struggling to find any team chemistry on the offensive end of the floor. He is having problems setting good screens, and what makes it worse is sometimes he sets them in an untimely fashion or in other words out of the flow of the offense. A lot of times he seems like he doesn't know where he should be on the floor. Unfortunately for him he is going to have to learn how to contribute to the team in other ways until they trust him to be a focal point on offense for the 2nd unit. If he worked on his passing or developed a jumpshot from around the key he could probably contribute more sooner. He has a knack for the pick n roll, and once him and Parker did very well working together.

The problem is whats more important to this team from his position is a solid defensive presence inside. He is agile and can move his feet well, but he isn't a natural shot blocker. He'd rather take a charge then go up for the block. His game is soft which I hate to admit. Hopefully someone gets him to hit the weights hard over the next off season, but it's still gonna take time for him to be tough inside. He will be serviceable on the defensive end with the right development, but probably has much more upside on the offensive end when all is said and done.

Now Blair on the other hand is a pick your poison type of situation. He is either causing mismatch problems for opposing teams, or is the mismatch problem for his own team. All depends on who is imposing there will more on that day, him or the guy he is defending. Pop knows this and plays him accordingly. If he is getting the better of the situation Pop keeps him in longer and lets him wreak havoc. If he is being a liability he gets yanked early and sees sparse minutes the rest of the way. To Blair's credit I would say he has been winning a lot more battles then he has been losing as of late. His passing has been exceptional as of late especially for a big, he has great hands, and he hustles out there. His eagerness to learn the game has made him much better also as the games go by. He has a good basketball IQ, and with Pop in his corner it should only get better.

But Pop understands what he has in Blair. And he knows what he gets and what he is giving up at the same time. Seems Pop is just fine with it as long as Blair stays tough and hustles.

And to answer your question; No Splitter is not greater then Blair. But that's only because Blair is much farther along in his development then Splitter is. The other aspect of it is all about matchups. I thought like most other posters did here that we would definitely need Splitter to matchup with the Lakers size, but with the way Blair played against the Lakers, I don't see it that way anymore. At this point it's obvious that Pop will use a mix of Dice and Blair depending on how things go, and unless Splitter all the sudden finds his niche on this years team, I don't see him being a factor until next year.

EricB
01-15-2011, 01:12 PM
He doesn't know where to be because he doesn't know the offense or defense. Sean Elliott said himself him missing all of training camp really killed his growth.

DMC
01-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Splitter hasn't gotten Blair minutes. Maybe once Pop feels he's secured HCA and 1st, Splitter will see more minutes.

spurs1990
01-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Splitter is struggling to find any team chemistry on the offensive end of the floor. He is having problems setting good screens, and what makes it worse is sometimes he sets them in an untimely fashion or in other words out of the flow of the offense. A lot of times he seems like he doesn't know where he should be on the floor. Unfortunately for him he is going to have to learn how to contribute to the team in other ways until they trust him to be a focal point on offense for the 2nd unit. If he worked on his passing or developed a jumpshot from around the key he could probably contribute more sooner. He has a knack for the pick n roll, and once him and Parker did very well working together.

The problem is whats more important to this team from his position is a solid defensive presence inside. He is agile and can move his feet well, but he isn't a natural shot blocker. He'd rather take a charge then go up for the block. His game is soft which I hate to admit. Hopefully someone gets him to hit the weights hard over the next off season, but it's still gonna take time for him to be tough inside. He will be serviceable on the defensive end with the right development, but probably has much more upside on the offensive end when all is said and done.

Now Blair on the other hand is a pick your poison type of situation. He is either causing mismatch problems for opposing teams, or is the mismatch problem for his own team. All depends on who is imposing there will more on that day, him or the guy he is defending. Pop knows this and plays him accordingly. If he is getting the better of the situation Pop keeps him in longer and lets him wreak havoc. If he is being a liability he gets yanked early and sees sparse minutes the rest of the way. To Blair's credit I would say he has been winning a lot more battles then he has been losing as of late. His passing has been exceptional as of late especially for a big, he has great hands, and he hustles out there. His eagerness to learn the game has made him much better also as the games go by. He has a good basketball IQ, and with Pop in his corner it should only get better.

But Pop understands what he has in Blair. And he knows what he gets and what he is giving up at the same time. Seems Pop is just fine with it as long as Blair stays tough and hustles.

And to answer your question; No Splitter is not greater then Blair. But that's only because Blair is much farther along in his development then Splitter is. The other aspect of it is all about matchups. I thought like most other posters did here that we would definitely need Splitter to matchup with the Lakers size, but with the way Blair played against the Lakers, I don't see it that way anymore. At this point it's obvious that Pop will use a mix of Dice and Blair depending on how things go, and unless Splitter all the sudden finds his niche on this years team, I don't see him being a factor until next year.

Good post:tu

ChuckD
01-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Splitter hasn't gotten Blair minutes. Maybe once Pop feels he's secured HCA and 1st, Splitter will see more minutes.

Minutes are earned on the Spurs, not bestowed. I have to say that last night didn't help him AT ALL.

Mel_13
01-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Minutes are earned on the Spurs, not bestowed. I have to say that last night didn't help him AT ALL.

DMC
01-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Regardless, the fact remains. Blair has laid a few eggs of his own, but he's started every game regardless.

Minutes are always bestowed. There's no counter for minutes earned. It's just opinion that they are, in fact.

ShoogarBear
01-15-2011, 02:21 PM

Nice points. But

1. I disagree that Splitters ultimate value will be on the offensive end. For one thing, although he has a few post moves with the ball, his finishing skills are worse than most U.S. high school big men. He'd have to completely revamp his game to ever be more than a garbage/take-what-he-can-get on offense. Plus, given Pop's history, you know the entire focus of the coaching staff will be to make him a defensive force.

2. I also disagree that because Blair played well against the Lakers in one game, that the Spurs don't need Splitter. We'll see what happens the rest of the series, but nobody would be surprised if next game Blair goes for 2-and-3 and gets dominated on defense. Unless the Lakers complete implode, the Spurs are ultimately going to need lots of McDyess, or, hopefully Splitter, to succeed against them.

urunobili
01-15-2011, 02:22 PM
ulosturedge with the goods :tu

ChuckD
01-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Regardless, the fact remains. Blair has laid a few eggs of his own, but he's started every game regardless.

Minutes are always bestowed. There's no counter for minutes earned. It's just opinion that they are, in fact.

1) Blair understands physical American basketball. Splitter still does not.
2) Blair makes mistakes. All players do. What Pop will not tolerate is passivity, something Blair never displays. When Blair F's up, Pop also doesn't hesitate to pull him and limit his minutes, even though almost any time he gets big minutes he produces.
3) Keep thinking that Pop bestows minutes. It'll allow you to stay on the Poor Splitter train without thinking that the Spurs actually DO use complex analytics/stats to help determine playing time.

itzsoweezee
01-15-2011, 03:15 PM

:lmao

That's complete and utter bullshit. Don't make me point out specific examples to counter that tripe you typed.

DMC
01-15-2011, 03:17 PM
1) Blair understands physical American basketball. Splitter still does not.
2) Blair makes mistakes. All players do. What Pop will not tolerate is passivity, something Blair never displays. When Blair F's up, Pop also doesn't hesitate to pull him and limit his minutes, even though almost any time he gets big minutes he produces.
3) Keep thinking that Pop bestows minutes. It'll allow you to stay on the Poor Splitter train without thinking that the Spurs actually DO use complex analytics/stats to help determine playing time.

If minutes were earned, you wouldn't need a fucking head coach. People would just enter the game and play they minutes they have earned. I guess Matt Bonner earns 30+ a game?

Perhaps you think a coach like Pop feels that a player has earned minutes, and therefore gives these minutes to that player. There are too many examples where that's not the case, so then it has to be false.

The coach decides who plays when. It's not based upon how they played last time. Maybe indirectly it affects the coach's decision, but in the end, it's up to the coach and that makes it bestowed.

Sofaking
01-15-2011, 03:26 PM

And to answer your question; No Splitter is not greater then Blair. But that's only because Blair is much farther along in his development then Splitter is. The other aspect of it is all about match ups. I thought like most other posters did here that we would definitely need Splitter to match up with the Lakers size, but with the way Blair played against the Lakers, I don't see it that way anymore. At this point it's obvious that Pop will use a mix of Dice and Blair depending on how things go, and unless Splitter all the sudden finds his niche on this years team, I don't see him being a factor until next year.
You make great points. Any credible spurs fan knows that we will need both at their best to beat the Lakers. Coming into the season, I was really expecting a Gasol-lite player. One thing Gasol does better than any Euro I see, is dunk. He's still soft at times, but he can put you on a poster. I haven't seen that type of athleticism from Tiago yet.

DMC
01-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Tiago doesn't play offense above his head. Gasol does. One of Pau's greatest skills is that he knows how to handle the ball and can get to the rim in one movement after catching the ball, and the ball itself rarely goes below his head. It's usually just a fluid movement from the catch to the basket, all up high. That requires high passes and that requires training with the team. Tiago hasn't had that team training. Shootarounds don't count.

wildbill2u
01-15-2011, 03:42 PM
We all see different things. I noticed that Splitter moved without the ball into open areas quite a bit, often off the P&R but teammates didn't hit him with a pass.

I don't think a big who is willing to take a charge a lot is playing 'soft'. You can get killed in this league by taking charges against players with this size and speed.

Cessation
01-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Splitter has given up, he was playing better earlier in the season. It looks like he's getting pop's rookie treatment, all those dnp's make him the 5th big, no doubt about that, maybe next year. Lets hope bonner and blair will be enough to get us a championship.

DMC
01-15-2011, 04:27 PM
We all see different things. I noticed that Splitter moved without the ball into open areas quite a bit, often off the P&R but teammates didn't hit him with a pass.

I don't think a big who is willing to take a charge a lot is playing 'soft'. You can get killed in this league by taking charges against players with this size and speed.

It's not soft as in toughness, but soft as in physicality. Tiago needs to level someone. Spurs fans remember how David would never lower the boom on people and he was called soft for that. He took an elbow from Malone that put a bunch of stitches in his mouth, but Dave does not retaliate. I just think a championship caliber team has to have it's Bruce Bowen, someone who doesn't mind being hated.

Hoops Czar
01-15-2011, 05:29 PM

Are you serious? Blair is a second year player while Splitter has been playing professional B-ball since he was 15. Blair has hardly developed at all. I hate to say this, but Blair, with no ACL's has a higher upside than Splitter ever will.

rasho8
01-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Holy crap people. He hasn't played in forever, give the guy a break. For those who want a decent breakdown of what Splitter can do, this video is pretty good (aside from the retarded "like a young Dwight Howard" comment, that was ridiculous)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVRHX8JinRk

He still has to learn NBA ball. He grew up playing FIBA, and, to quote the Great Timmy Duncan "Fuck FIBA."

DMC
01-15-2011, 06:22 PM
He didn't look impressive in that video. I can find similar situations for any player in the league. He moves to set a lot of picks, but if he cannot finish at the rim, it's only going to result in a pop or pass out of the tandem.

Capt Bringdown
01-15-2011, 11:06 PM
We haven't seen enough of Splitter to make a fair determination. Blair gets regular minutes, Splitter does not.

It seems to me that much of the criticism leveled at Splitter's play could also be attributed to Blair - even the "soft" accusation (Blair couldn't stop an armchair from scoring).

At any rate, giving Splitter even limited minutes seems to me to be a win all the way around -where's the problem? We're playing well, we can afford it, and it would give other veterans more rest for the playoffs.

rascal
01-16-2011, 12:06 AM

It is soft for a 7 foot player to be trying to take a charge instead of being ascertive and going for a block or a challenging defensive stop.

Cessation
01-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Those flip shots are so gay, they need to go.

DMC
01-16-2011, 12:56 AM
Those flip shots are so gay, they need to go.

And they have gone, for weeks on end to the bench.

DeadlyDynasty
01-16-2011, 12:59 AM
We haven't seen enough of Splitter to make a fair determination. Blair gets regular minutes, Splitter does not.

It seems to me that much of the criticism leveled at Splitter's play could also be attributed to Blair - even the "soft" accusation (Blair couldn't stop an armchair from scoring).

At any rate, giving Splitter even limited minutes seems to me to be a win all the way around -where's the problem? We're playing well, we can afford it, and it would give other veterans more rest for the playoffs.

That's the million-dollar question.

spurs1990
01-16-2011, 02:31 AM
What about Ian. Doesn't he look like the more promising of the two?

DrSteffo
01-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Splitter needs to get pt, his D is good but as I stated before the season started the guy is about as strong as Parris Hilton, he must put on some wt. I have seen a couple nice moves from him when he is settled in, but most the time he looks like hes shocked when he gets the ball.

We will need him in the playoffs against bigger teams so getting him 15mpg is very important. Still wish we had kept Ian who looks very good when given playing time and is 2 years younger. Bad move letting him go.

Ian is shitting all over Pop at the moment.

mystargtr34
01-16-2011, 06:28 AM
Splitter is still the better player tbh... Blair's defensive retardness doesnt show in statistics so its easily dismissed by uneducated basketball fans.

dbestpro
01-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Splitter is still the better player tbh... Blair's defensive retardness doesnt show in statistics so its easily dismissed by uneducated basketball fans.

You cannot compare a player who sees limited minutes with someone who starts.

What you can compare is Blair with every other regular starting center. The next question would be, is there a worse starter at the center position in the league?

cutewizard
01-16-2011, 12:37 PM
He doesn't know where to be because he doesn't know the offense or defense. Sean Elliott said himself him missing all of training camp really killed his growth.

Training camp?

Isnt it that players should continue to learn and develop as the NBA season goes along? What i mean is....cant the coaches find a way to integrate Splitter now? in the breaks btwn games?

Any comments pls

Mel_13
01-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Training camp?

Isnt it that players should continue to learn and develop as the NBA season goes along? What i mean is....cant the coaches find a way to integrate Splitter now? in the breaks btwn games?

Any comments pls

Of course, coaching continues throughout the season, but Tiago fell far behind by missing camp and preseason. Since he was the 5th of 5 bigs on the day he signed his contract, he missed his greatest chance to move up the depth chart when he missed camp. Then the season started and none of the players ahead of him have done anything to merit demotion. He's really stuck where he is for now.

ploto
01-16-2011, 01:21 PM
When Splitter "missed" training camp, he was still there. He would still be learning, listening and studying even if his body did not get to go through the physical drills. You can learn the concepts of where to be and how to rotate without actually doing it. It is not like he was gone and missed all the education. Sure, your body needs time to react and not have to think so much, but it is not like he was left clueless.

Then, once well, he can stay after practice all he wants and study with coaches. This excuse that teams do not practice so much during the season is bogus because any player who wants to practice can and will have a coach and other benchwarmers more than happy to work with him.

Mel_13
01-16-2011, 01:26 PM
When Splitter "missed" training camp, he was still there. He would still be learning, listening and studying even if his body did not get to go through the physical drills. You can learn the concepts of where to be and how to rotate without actually doing it. It is not like he was gone and missed all the education. Sure, your body needs time to react and not have to think so much, but it is not like he was left clueless.

Then, once well, he can stay after practice all he wants and study with coaches. This excuse that teams do not practice so much during the season is bogus because any player who wants to practice can and will have a coach and other benchwarmers more than happy to work with him.

All true.

He still started as the 5th out of 5, and nothing in the performances of those ahead of him, or in his own performance, warrants any change in that position.

Dr. Gonzo
01-16-2011, 01:38 PM

Ian is really shitting on Pop with his 3 ppg, 1.8 rpg average.

SenorSpur
01-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Nice points. But

1. I disagree that Splitters ultimate value will be on the offensive end. For one thing, although he has a few post moves with the ball, his finishing skills are worse than most U.S. high school big men. He'd have to completely revamp his game to ever be more than a garbage/take-what-he-can-get on offense. Plus, given Pop's history, you know the entire focus of the coaching staff will be to make him a defensive force.

2. I also disagree that because Blair played well against the Lakers in one game, that the Spurs don't need Splitter. We'll see what happens the rest of the series, but nobody would be surprised if next game Blair goes for 2-and-3 and gets dominated on defense. Unless the Lakers complete implode, the Spurs are ultimately going to need lots of McDyess, or, hopefully Splitter, to succeed against them.

That's a salient point that I think is being lost amid the euphoria of the Spurs fast start. The Fakers STILL possess a long, tall, dominant frontline. One of the best in the NBA. They are built for the playoffs. Just because the Spurs, Blair especially, dominated them in one game, does not mean that will hold true in a potential playoff series. They just do not have enough size.

I still believe that, in order for the Spurs to sustain any success against them in a series, they will need a solid contribution from Splitter, along with the regular cast of current frontline bigs.

SenorSpur
01-16-2011, 02:30 PM

Tell me about it. Here's further proof.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4673463/ian-mahinmi-gives-reason-for-longer-look

Spurs just allow the guy to walk without so much as being given any solid minutes. One team's trash is another team's fortune. Damn shame.

Mel_13
01-16-2011, 02:35 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4673463/ian-mahinmi-gives-reason-for-longer-look

Spurs just allow the guy to walk without so much as being given any solid minutes. One team's trash is another team's fortune. Damn shame.

:lol

proof

wunderkindepiphany
01-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Splitter just needs to play more. Any fundamental changes to his shot, if they will take place, are gonna happen during the off-season. Don't expect big changes this season. The only way Splitter gets better is if he plays, period. Though, some of the problem is that other players simply don't trust him yet. You can see this.All of the blame can not be put on Splitter. There were several opportunities for teammates to make a pass in Splitter's direction last game, and not only in situations where he was cutting to the basket, also on the perimeter, when all Splitter would have been doing is swinging the ball. George Hill was guilty of this quite a bit. When Splitter gets a tight pass in the P&R, he doesn't pick it up. His hands are not as good as Blair's. His P&R could use work, he tends to sort of hint at a pick, instead of actually setting it, and then beelines to the basket. It looks like more of a sprint drill then an actual pick and roll. Splitter is also getting muscled down low, and fails to use his feet to gain position. Playing time will iron out quite a few of his issues. Thing is, Pop is not going to play him in tight games, because he is, at current juncture, fourth on the depth chart at the five. I'd love it if we could play him with blair and Ginobili and have him play the four spot, with Hill actually distributing the ball evenly. But, as it stands, he creates spacing problems, and he doesn't have the trust of his point guards, namely George Hill. He is a liability unless we are up big.

mathbzh
01-16-2011, 04:04 PM

Once again he is near the top of the league in PER.
Granted this is just garbage time but he does it every year... and if he was so easy, why all the other 3rd/4th string centers can't do it?
that has to mean something about his talent.
A couple of fact:

#9 in PER (24)
Only four player in the top 50 playing less than ten minutes.
Career PER 23.6 (ok only 319 minutes

Sometime, I wonder if he is not Amare in the waiting... I mean, with his lack of defense and his bonehead plays how much minutes would Amare have play with Pop as a coach?

Dr. Gonzo
01-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Sometime, I wonder if he is not Amare in the waiting

He's not.

wunderkindepiphany
01-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Sometime, I wonder if he is not Amare in the waiting... I mean, with his lack of defense and his bonehead plays how much minutes would Amare have play with Pop as a coach?

This is an example of how using statistics as a measuring stick can be misleading. Use your eyes, the difference between Splitter and Amare Stoudemire is obvious.

jjktkk
01-16-2011, 10:27 PM

:wow

Cessation
01-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Gotta agree, blair pulled of his dumbest game yet, while splitter looked servicable, considering how little he has played. I'm telling you if he was getting pops favored treatment, the way blair is, it would be a whole different story.

Sofaking
01-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Gotta agree, blair pulled of his bumbest game yet, while splitter looked servicable, considering how little he has played. I'm telling you if he was getting pops favored treatment, the way blair is, it would be a whole different story.

outside of the Block, Splitter was meh. -8 in this game and him and Dejuan played the same exact minutes. just admit you don't like him :lol

Sofaking
01-16-2011, 11:56 PM
YES

SPLITTER IS STILL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BLAIR

Blair's brain is the size of a walnut and his dendrites move like molasses.

Like all black ppl huh :lol smh

Cessation
01-17-2011, 12:28 AM
outside of the Block, Splitter was meh. -8 in this game and him and Dejuan played the same exact minutes. just admit you don't like him :lol

Did you even watch the game? It was pretty obvious that Splitter was better than blair tonight, especially defencivelly. Seems like you're the one hating, when people point out the truth that blair sucks against quality frontcourts, get over it already, no need to get so butthurt.

wunderkindepiphany
01-17-2011, 01:19 AM
YES

SPLITTER IS STILL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BLAIR

Blair's brain is the size of a walnut and his dendrites move like molasses.

dendrites. . .sigh.

mathbzh
01-17-2011, 02:18 AM
He's not.

Obviously :lol
I have not been clear enough, sorry.

I am not implying he is nearly as talented as a young Amare just that somehow the same ingredient are there (athletism, some talent, average at best IQ, fouling machine...).
With this profile, where and who you play for can make a huge difference for your early career.

Pop would have been mad at Stoudemire for his defense (or lack of) and I am not sure how much he would have played. On the other hand, give Ian some "Brook Lopez" minutes for a lottery team and IMO he is at least a 15 pts/8 rbds player.

DrSteffo
01-17-2011, 04:02 AM

Yes this was what i meant. Ian is beasting right now. Once again this proves that you have to actually watch games to assess a player. Referring to season's stats is not enough. Pop made a big mistake last season preferring to play small ball with scrubs like Bogans and RMJ rather than play Ian. I'm not saying Pop is a bad coach but I am saying he made a mistake.

G-Dawgg
01-17-2011, 04:04 AM
Splitter is so bad that I'm starting to feel bad about making fun of how lousy he is... I kinda just wish he'd stop sucking already. I feel like I'm kicking him while he's down when I point out how obviously shitty he is..

Sofaking
01-19-2011, 11:28 PM
So I asked again...

Capt Bringdown
01-19-2011, 11:55 PM
From the start of the season until around mid-December, Splitter played something that sorta resembled consistent minutes. I guess that was enough of a development phase for Pop to throw in the towel for the season...

Dr. Gonzo
01-20-2011, 12:07 AM
Can you imagine if Mahinmi AND Splitter were both in the lineup getting regular minutes?!?

The Spurs would be undefeated!!

kaji157
01-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Well he (Splitter) leds all spurs rookies in PER and is 5th overall (among all NBA rookies).

Not bad, considering PER is a stat quite respected in our world.