PDA

View Full Version : Pistons already receiving Calls about Troy Murphy

sexinthatsx
01-15-2011, 02:15 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71165/20110115/pistons_already_fielding_calls_for_murphy/

The Pistons are already receiving calls about Troy Murphy as if the proposed 3-way trade between the Nuggets, Pistons, and Nets are a done deal. One of the teams interested in acquiring Troy Murphy includes San Antontio. Question is, who would we give up with Troy Murphy's contract and how much would it improve this team?

I for one think it would help tremendously, but have no clue who Spurs would give up to get him.

Mel_13
01-15-2011, 02:17 PM
He's making 12M. Not possible without giving up major pieces of the current team.

FromWayDowntown
01-15-2011, 02:19 PM
He's making 12M. Not possible with giving up major pieces of the current team.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's going to take at least one other team and a deep knowledge of cap-onomics.

Mel_13
01-15-2011, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's going to take at least one other team and a deep knowledge of cap-onomics.

I'll have to edit my first post to change "with" to "without".

TDMVPDPOY
01-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Givin up on splitter already...

i think its dice trade and release

yavozerb
01-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Givin up on splitter already...

i think its dice trade and release

need alot more than dice...

Mel_13
01-15-2011, 02:30 PM
need alot more than dice...

Yep. Dice and at least two of Splitter/Bonner/Anderson.

There's no way that the Spurs trade for Murphy on his current contract. Now if he gets bought out after he's traded from New Jersey, then the Spurs would likely be among several contenders interested in his services.

Vito Corleone
01-15-2011, 02:41 PM
not interested

We need our youth and He isn't the type of player that can put us over the top.

Darkwaters
01-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Yet another example of how the media always says that the Spurs are interested in a free agent/trade target regardless of actual validity to the claim.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Maybe they were interested over the summer before Jefferson signed.

sexinthatsx
01-15-2011, 09:07 PM
But just imagine what Troy Murphy will provide: the 3 point shooting from a big man that Pop drools over AND the abililty to grab rebounds that we need. IMO this would be an awesome trade, especially if we don't have to give a lot to get him.

The only thing that makes it fishy is that he's going to be a RFA this summer, which leads to the fact that Spurs will have to either give him up or sign him to another contract to lock him up.

Mel_13
01-15-2011, 09:10 PM
But just imagine what Troy Murphy will provide: the 3 point shooting from a big man that Pop drools over AND the abililty to grab rebounds that we need. IMO this would be an awesome trade, especially if we don't have to give a lot to get him.

The only thing that makes it fishy is that he's going to be a RFA this summer, which leads to the fact that Spurs will have to either give him up or sign him to another contract to lock him up.

We would have to give up a lot to get him and he'll be a UFA this summer.

thispego
01-15-2011, 09:13 PM
been injured all season, but if he gets bought out and wants to win a championship, he'd be stupid to not come to the spurs. But he'll probably go to the lakers for nothing

BlairForceDejuan
01-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Why would the Spurs give up major pieces when they are 1st and haven't even tapped the potential of the current squad? If you trade for someone, it'll take 2+ years to incorporate them into the team. By then, Duncan will be gone.

You are rolling right now. Go with what you have imo

sexinthatsx
01-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Why would the Spurs give up major pieces when they are 1st and haven't even tapped the potential of the current squad? If you trade for someone, it'll take 2+ years to incorporate them into the team. By then, Duncan will be gone.

You are rolling right now. Go with what you have imo

The question is, do you believe we have what it takes to win the finals playing like this? The rebounds can certainly help the team in Troy Murphy while shooting 3's, something Matt Bonner was originally supposed to do.

However, you may be right about the team chemistry, he might end up taking a season or even longer to get acquainted with the system.

At the end of the day, I'm pretty sure it's all a pipe dream.

Darkwaters
01-16-2011, 01:19 AM
sexinthatsx, I don't think you really fully understand the CBA. Unless the guy is bought out and signed on for minimum wage the Spurs MUST give up a ton to get him just to make the salaries match. Spurs don't have a big bad contract that they can just dump to get him.

SenorSpur
01-16-2011, 02:29 AM
Why would they?

justinandimcool
01-16-2011, 02:53 AM
Don't even think about it til the offseason.

Incase no one's noticed, Troy has been playing like utter shit for the past two seasons.

The Btown Spur
01-16-2011, 03:37 AM
I really dont see this happening. Unless we want to give up a big part of our team, which i doubt because we never make major midseason trades even when we dont have the best record in the league. I dont know why we would do it when we do. McDyess has had a pretty good year considering how old he is, unless we get offered some ridiculous deal, I stay put. Unless Pop and RC think that these regular season wins dont mean shit in a 7 game series against the lakers, mavs, or celtics, i dontt think we dont do shit. Go Spurs Go

buttsR4rebounding
01-16-2011, 05:40 AM
We actually have a cap hold for Robert Horry at $7.2 million. Resign him with only $100,000 guaranteed, throw in Splitter and you are set. If you really wanted to.

itzsoweezee
01-16-2011, 02:53 PM
garbage. one of the most overpaid players in the league.

flox
01-16-2011, 05:28 PM
As a Pacers fan, I would tell you that he plays decently, shoots well, rebounds well.

But he doesn't defend well. He looks like he doesn't have a lot of defensive ability. But he tries hard and plays well in a team scheme, but just isn't good defensively.

Most Pacer fans will tell you he plays matador defense and sucks and is terrible.

I personally think he's ok, can play well in a defensive scheme, can make good offense reads and passes, and will give good effort.

Personally I think he could work on the Spurs.

Mal
01-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Only if he will be buy out.

BanditHiro
01-16-2011, 06:47 PM
i hate that guy...he always shoots the ball even when he is tightly defended instead of passing it to me in 2k11

Seventyniner
01-16-2011, 08:59 PM
As a Pacers fan, I would tell you that he plays decently, shoots well, rebounds well.

But he doesn't defend well. He looks like he doesn't have a lot of defensive ability. But he tries hard and plays well in a team scheme, but just isn't good defensively.

Most Pacer fans will tell you he plays matador defense and sucks and is terrible.

I personally think he's ok, can play well in a defensive scheme, can make good offense reads and passes, and will give good effort.

Personally I think he could work on the Spurs.

So...he's a rich man's Matt Bonner?

flox
01-16-2011, 11:04 PM

Yes. More or less.

8FOR!3
01-16-2011, 11:13 PM

Not only that but he's not as good a shooter and I don't think he gives any more effort on the defensive end. He's not worth giving Bonner + important pieces we would have to give up for him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Can we please give up the idea that the Spurs are going to make a major trade? We aren't.

This team is TOP OF THE NBA (although many fans behave as if it's 10th in the West), it has chemistry, roster flexibility, and everyone's getting pretty good within the system. A major trade would dismantle that. Not going to happen.

ShoogarBear
01-16-2011, 11:20 PM
He obviously rebounds better than Bonner, but I'm not sure that he ultimately really brings that much more to the table. Certainly not at that price.

ChuckD
01-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Murphy doesn't board at DeJuan's rate, and doesn't shoot nearly as well as The Ginger. No reason to do this at all.

flox
01-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Murphy doesn't board at DeJuan's rate, and doesn't shoot nearly as well as The Ginger. No reason to do this at all.

But you could combine the two into one player that only takes up one roster spot and eats less minutes/#pleasedon'tdothisSpursFO

ShoogarBear
01-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Eats a lot more money, though.

K-State Spur
01-17-2011, 09:56 AM
He's basically a better rebounding and (believe it or not) worse defensive version of Bonner, paid at premium.

With regards to the rebounding, Bonner is actually just as good as Murphy on the offensive boards, with the difference being felt on the defensive end.

However, considering that the Spurs are already one of the better defensive rebounding teams in the league, there's really no reason to pay a steep price (in terms of players, $, and cap space) for something that wouldn't be that much of an upgrade.

Mel_13
01-21-2011, 08:53 AM
There's no way that the Spurs trade for Murphy on his current contract. Now if he gets bought out after he's traded from New Jersey, then the Spurs would likely be among several contenders interested in his services.

Marc Stein:

There would be unquestioned interest in Murphy if he went the buyout route and became a free agent -- starting with Orlando, Dallas and San Antonio -- but the Nets are hoping to swap him for a similar expiring contract before the Feb. 24 trade deadline. And Murphy naturally wants to land with a contender to end his run as the guy who has appeared in more games than any other active player (639) without tasting the playoffs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/24087/nets-gm-says-murphy-didn%E2%80%99t-demand-trade

tuncaboylu
01-21-2011, 09:01 AM
It's obvious that we won't be involved in that trade. We will be involved in the hunt after the acquirer team buys Murphy out.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Out of curiosity, who are the better players expected to be bought out after the trade deadline?

Murphy's one, Tayshawn Prince might be too, who else?

I don't expect the Spurs to make a trade, but they'll def be in for a min salary bought-out veteran.

Mel_13
01-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Out of curiosity, who are the better players expected to be bought out after the trade deadline?

Murphy's one, Tayshawn Prince might be too, who else?

I don't expect the Spurs to make a trade, but they'll def be in for a min salary bought-out veteran.

I was looking at that last night. Vets on bad teams in the last year of their contracts.

Some names that seem possible:

Jamario Moon

Anthony Parker

Seb Telfair

Quinton Ross

Josh Howard

TMac

Rasual Butler

Jason Kapono

Darius Songalia

Dan Gadzuric

Vlad Radmanovic

Jared Jeffries

Two more that don't seem very possible (their teams would have to have given up by the end of February), but would fit perfectly on the Spurs if they were bought out:

Shane Battier

Grant Hill

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Not an impressive list by any means. Guess Butler could be OK.

Battier, Hill and Prince are obviously the best, but highly unlikely to be bought out. Maybe it'd be for the best if the Spurs don't mess with the rotation in order to incorporate a player expected to play 20+ minutes for the playoffs, and just roll the way they've been all season. Arguably the biggest reason for the great start, along with health, is that Pop has set the roles and rotations unprecedentedly early and hasn't tweaked with what's clearly working, like he's used to in the past. Adding someone of the Battier/Hill talent would obviously be great, but how would it affect the way this team has gelled, trying to incorporate them mid-season? Could be fool's gold.

5in10
01-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Marc Stein:

There would be unquestioned interest in Murphy if he went the buyout route and became a free agent -- starting with Orlando, Dallas and San Antonio -- but the Nets are hoping to swap him for a similar expiring contract before the Feb. 24 trade deadline. And Murphy naturally wants to land with a contender to end his run as the guy who has appeared in more games than any other active player (639) without tasting the playoffs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/24087/nets-gm-says-murphy-didn%E2%80%99t-demand-trade

IT would be nice to have someone to replace Bonner once playoffs roll around.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Well that disqualifies the Spurs from working with the Raptors.

Bruno
01-21-2011, 12:28 PM
A trade is basically impossible but signing him after a buyout is an option.

A healthy Murphy is a very good player. He would help Spurs but he would also create a logjam at PF/C. There is a point in a team were there is too much depth. A PF/C rotation with Duncan, Murphy, Dice, Blair, Bonner and Splitter is too deep.

Seventyniner
01-21-2011, 02:31 PM
A trade is basically impossible but signing him after a buyout is an option.

A healthy Murphy is a very good player. He would help Spurs but he would also create a logjam at PF/C. There is a point in a team were there is too much depth. A PF/C rotation with Duncan, Murphy, Dice, Blair, Bonner and Splitter is too deep.

Would the Spurs try to move Bonner if they got Murphy, perhaps for a backup SF or true backup PG? I'm having trouble thinking of (non-contending) teams that would want Bonner, though.

Edit: running off the story that the Warriors' owner might want to trade Curry, could the following scenario play out: Spurs sign Murphy, then trade Bonner, Neal, and a pick to GS for Curry + filler? I think it's intriguing, though completely made-up and extremely unlikely.

DMC
01-21-2011, 07:16 PM
How about Charlie Murphy?

DesignatedT
01-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Grant Hill? I'll take him in a heartbeat.