PDA

View Full Version : Pop: “We’ve never been the storyline, even when we’ve won championships”

Spurs Brazil
01-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Meanwhile, Spurs fans wonder why their heroes have the best record in the league, yet fly under the radar of a national media obsessed with a Heat team fans outside South Florida love to hate and a blockbuster trade still waiting to happen.

Gregg Popovich knows the truth, and he couldn’t care less about any perceived lack of respect.

“We’ve never been the storyline, even when we’ve won championships,” the Spurs coach said Wednesday night in Milwaukee. “We’re pretty used to that. It’s just the lay of the land and the nature of the beast.

“I don’t think people talked a lot about Utah when Karl (Malone) and John (Stockton) were there. It’s just the way it is, and we don’t really care. It doesn’t mean very much. Never has. Never will.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/15/mike-monroe-even-at-34-6-spurs-fly-under-radar/

Pop :toast

Mel_13
01-16-2011, 01:32 PM
The lack of media attention is not just "the lay of the land", it's precisely what the Spurs want. The Spurs are not exactly the most media-friendly team in the NBA. What sort of access would the Argentine or French Spike Lee get if he wanted to follow Manu or Tony around the way Spike followed Kobe? The Spurs only give the media the minimum required access, and sometimes not even that:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/2007-05-22-fine_N.htm

Biggems
01-16-2011, 08:08 PM
I disagree. The Spurs are media friendly. They may not seek media attention or the limelight, but they are very media friendly when sought out by the evil citizens with microphones and tape recorders.

DMC
01-16-2011, 08:31 PM
It is the lay of the land, in a way. The average NBA consumer is much more interested in drama and flash than basketball fundamentals. It's much more about style than substance.

DMC
01-16-2011, 08:34 PM
The lack of media attention is not just "the lay of the land", it's precisely what the Spurs want. The Spurs are not exactly the most media-friendly team in the NBA. What sort of access would the Argentine or French Spike Lee get if he wanted to follow Manu or Tony around the way Spike followed Kobe? The Spurs only give the media the minimum required access, and sometimes not even that:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/2007-05-22-fine_N.htm
I think that's a result of the media ignoring the Spurs for so long in favor of sensationalism and gossip. Sports news is now tabloid journalism, not sports news like it was 25 years ago. The media has been so busy looking for the next big salesman to replace Michael, they've totally ignored fair reporting and resorted to being patsies for companies like Nike.

spurs1990
01-16-2011, 08:41 PM
If the Spurs win the title in June it'll be the first title team without a superstar since 2004.

Capt Bringdown
01-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Spurs will perhaps be the last Champion assembled by the lottery and crafty FO moves.
As we've seen recently with the Celtics and Lakers, it's more about revitalizing/leveraging old brands via improbable unbalanced trades; and now with the Heat, we've seemed to have entered a new age of boy-band marketing manipulations.

spurastic
01-16-2011, 08:52 PM
It's all $$$$$$$.

Seventyniner
01-16-2011, 08:56 PM
It's all $$$$$$$.

+1

The sexy teams and big markets get the headlines and TV coverage. Screw that, I'll take the best record in the league, thank you.

honestfool84
01-16-2011, 09:01 PM
+1

The sexy teams and big markets get the headlines and TV coverage. Screw that, I'll take the best record in the league, thank you.

i'll take one more :lobt: before Timmy retires.

Manu-of-steel
01-16-2011, 09:20 PM
They take the headlines, we take the ring!

CubanMustGo
01-16-2011, 11:53 PM

slugger22
01-16-2011, 11:57 PM
+1

+2

Spurs just doing their talking on the court !

DMC
01-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Spurs will perhaps be the last Champion assembled by the lottery and crafty FO moves.
As we've seen recently with the Celtics and Lakers, it's more about revitalizing/leveraging old brands via improbable unbalanced trades; and now with the Heat, we've seemed to have entered a new age of boy-band marketing manipulations.

This!

I was trying to remember who was the last team before the Spurs to win a championship with a superstar (or two) they drafted instead of traded for.

DMC
01-17-2011, 12:27 AM
It's all $$$$$$$.
It's like having a food you know a lot of people like, or a food that only you and a few others like. As long as I like it, that's all that matters. I'm not concerned about national consensus. If the Spurs are legit, and they win again, they will be lifted up higher than almost any team in history, at least by us.

PublicOption
01-17-2011, 12:33 AM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/15/mike-monroe-even-at-34-6-spurs-fly-under-radar/

Pop :toast

very perceptive. one year when the spurs closed out a championship the lead stories were.

1. lakers blah, blah,
2. yankees, blah, blah
3. cowboys blah, blah.

4. oh yea, spurs win championship.... in that order, and i am not making this up.

p.s. can anyone tell me who won the world series?.....the giants weren't the storyline either when they won the world series last year......it was.

1.jeter.

2.giants win.

in that order.

PublicOption
01-17-2011, 12:34 AM
winning is sexy.

.......................jeff van gundy.

when asked why the spurs aren't sexy to talk about.

spurs10
01-17-2011, 12:35 AM
If the Spurs win the title in June it'll be the first title team without a superstar since 2004.
Tim? Manu? Tony? Pretty big stars...:flag:

SpursFanFirst
01-17-2011, 04:30 AM

Love, love, love the avatar!

The_Worlds_finest
01-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Guys I hate to break in to you but read my sig....

DMC
01-17-2011, 02:06 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0117/nba_pwr_rankings_576.jpg

This should tell you all you need to know.

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-17-2011, 04:31 PM