PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys to hire Rob Ryan

djohn2oo8
01-16-2011, 12:13 PM
The Dallas Cowboys (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/dal/dallas-cowboys) will hire Rob Ryan as their defensive coordinator, a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

More on the Cowboys

Calvin Watkins, Tim MacMahon and Todd Archer have the Dallas Cowboys blanketed for ESPNDallas.com.

Ryan interviewed with Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett and owner/general manager Jerry Jones on Friday. While Ryan still has a year left on his deal in Cleveland, the Browns will go in a different direction under new coach Pat Shurmur.

Ryan, the twin brother of New York Jets (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets) head coach Rex Ryan, has spent the past two seasons as Cleveland's defensive coordinator after a five-year stint with the Oakland Raiders (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/oak/oakland-raiders). He won two Super Bowl rings in New England as the Patriots' linebackers coach. His father, Buddy, was a longtime NFL coach and irked many Cowboys fans during his time in Philadelphia.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=6027162

BUMP
01-16-2011, 12:48 PM
holy fuck! :wow

This is a damn good hire

BUMP
01-16-2011, 01:06 PM
I wonder if this increases Dallas' interest in Namdi since he played under Rob Ryan in Oakland

scottspurs
01-16-2011, 01:25 PM
I wonder if this increases Dallas' interest in Namdi since he played under Rob Ryan in Oakland

:wow

MavDynasty
01-16-2011, 03:12 PM
gg NFL

Roddy Beaubois
01-16-2011, 04:22 PM
holy fuck! :wow

This is a damn good hire

Is this the cue to start acting like cocky bastards again? Or do we have to wait until the offseason?

LnGrrrR
01-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Is this the cue to start acting like cocky bastards again? Or do we have to wait until the offseason?

gg NFL

:lmao

BUMP
01-16-2011, 04:33 PM

Let's wait til we know there's actually gonna be a season next year:lol

IronMexican
01-16-2011, 07:26 PM
I feel bad for you guys. Have fun rushing 3 or 4 and keeping 8 back.

timvp
01-16-2011, 07:55 PM
ITT: Cowboy fans thinking the Cowboys hired the Jets coach as their defensive coordinator.

Roddy Beaubois
01-16-2011, 08:29 PM
ITT: Cowboy fans thinking the Cowboys hired the Jets coach as their defensive coordinator.

Solid joke, but your fan base is comprised mostly of cowboy fans. So this won't get as many lols as your accustom to.

DPG21920
01-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Solid joke, but your fan base is comprised mostly of cowboy fans. So this won't get as many lols as your accustom to.

I'm surprised we didn't see the customary "this shtick is just bad, scoff scoff scoff..."

Then a re-edit with what a spur fan would say

Grey Named Spurs Fan

OMG Mavs are losers! LOLOLOLLOL

JoeTait75
01-16-2011, 09:09 PM
I feel bad for you guys. Have fun rushing 3 or 4 and keeping 8 back.

That's funny, I was thinking the opposite. Have fun watching your corners get left on an island against superior receivers because of reckless all-out blitzes.

Roddy Beaubois
01-16-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm surprised we didn't see the customary "this shtick is just bad, scoff scoff scoff..."

Then a re-edit with what a spur fan would say

ha. Look at 920, followin me around with his little remarks.

BUMP
01-16-2011, 09:49 PM
For some reason, JoeTait gets asshurt whenever someone leaves Cleveland and thinks they're the worse than dog shit. If MJ played for the Cavs and then got traded he'd say something like "fuck that gambling piece of shit, he sucks anyway"

other than that an overall solid poster, imho

JoeTait75
01-16-2011, 10:07 PM
For some reason, JoeTait gets asshurt whenever someone leaves Cleveland and thinks they're the worse than dog shit. If MJ played for the Cavs and then got traded he'd say something like "fuck that gambling piece of shit, he sucks anyway"

other than that an overall solid poster, imho

Eh, not so much in this case. I'm not hating on Ryan though that's how it comes off. I'm not sure he's a great football mind but he does get guys to play hard for him.

I am saying he's overly blitz-happy, though, because he is. Sending nine guys at the quarterback and leaving Eric Wright one-on-one with Anquan Boldin isn't exactly sound strategy, especially when Boldin had been beating Wright like a rented mule all over the field the entire game.

But yeah, I get butt-hurt at times. Guilty. Who doesn't, though?

IronMexican
01-16-2011, 10:12 PM
That's funny, I was thinking the opposite. Have fun watching your corners get left on an island against superior receivers because of reckless all-out blitzes.

Maybe it was just Al. But Oakland blitz'd quite a bit this year.

JoeTait75
01-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Maybe it was just Al. But Oakland blitz'd quite a bit this year.

Maybe Rob changed his MO when he came to Cleveland. We lost the Tampa Bay and first Baltimore games in large part because of ill-advised blitzes that led to big plays to single-covered receivers.

We didn't blitz as much after the first three games. Either Ryan adjusted or Mangini reigned him in a little bit.

BUMP
01-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Eh, not so much in this case. I'm not hating on Ryan though that's how it comes off. I'm not sure he's a great football mind but he does get guys to play hard for him.

I am saying he's overly blitz-happy, though, because he is. Sending nine guys at the quarterback and leaving Eric Wright one-on-one with Anquan Boldin isn't exactly sound strategy, especially when Boldin had been beating Wright like a rented mule all over the field the entire game.

But yeah, I get butt-hurt at times. Guilty. Who doesn't, though?

:lol its all good, i just remember the classic LeBron rant.

As for Ryan, the one thing I like about him is the confusion his defenses create pre-snap. that gets me all tingly inside considering the fact that we just had to deal with the vanilla defenses of Wade Phillips. And I think Dallas is more adept to handle his scheme than Cleveland could simply because of Ratliff, Ware, and Spencer.

jjktkk
01-17-2011, 02:43 AM
No disrespect to Raider, or Browns fans, but Ryan never had a Demarcus Ware to work with like he will now. Ryan should bring some much needed toughness to the Boys D. I like the hire.

MajorMike
01-17-2011, 03:23 AM
No disrespect to Raider, or Browns fans, but Ryan never had a Demarcus Ware to work with like he will now. Ryan should bring some much needed toughness to the Boys D. I like the hire.

Really?

Darrell Russell was 2x All NFL, Charles Woodson plus a host of other All Pros and whatnot. They had a young Woodson, Asomugha, Phillip Buchanon, Ray Buchanan, Eric Allen and Marques Pope all on the field at once in the secondary then. The middle was filled with guys like Biekert and Coleman and they had Russell and Upshaw and the like up front. The D is what made them decent before Grandpa Gannon came off of 20 years on the bench to have one shining MVP season. If you listen to Woodson interview today, he will still tell you the 'tuck rule' defense he played on was his best one (2001), and that's an NFL D MVP.

Right now, Ware is nothing more than a perrineal all pro; Roy Williams was, too, how'd that end out?

jjktkk
01-17-2011, 03:52 AM
Really?

Darrell Russell was 2x All NFL, Charles Woodson plus a host of other All Pros and whatnot. They had a young Woodson, Asomugha, Phillip Buchanon, Ray Buchanan, Eric Allen and Marques Pope all on the field at once in the secondary then. The middle was filled with guys like Biekert and Coleman and they had Russell and Upshaw and the like up front. The D is what made them decent before Grandpa Gannon came off of 20 years on the bench to have one shining MVP season. If you listen to Woodson interview today, he will still tell you the 'tuck rule' defense he played on was his best one (2001), and that's an NFL D MVP.

Right now, Ware is nothing more than a perrineal all pro; Roy Williams was, too, how'd that end out?

You sound a bit butthurt, which wasn't my intent, but meh. My point was Ryan hasn't had a talent to coach like Demarcus Ware as a elite passrusher, be it the Raiders, or Browns.

MajorMike
01-17-2011, 10:56 AM
My point was Ryan had plenty of talent, albiet maybe not someone who hasn't proven to be more than a flash in the pan, yet. Right now, everyone thinks he is the bee's knees because he plays for skeletor, i.e. Roy Williams making pro bowls when he couldn't cover my deceased grandma, Romo making the pro bowl after playing 5 games, and the annual cowgirls of arlington love fest that happens.

Case in point - Ware has zero reason to be named pro bowl this year especially over Briggs and Urlcher and Fletcher and Tuck; but he did because of the uniform he wears. Just like all RW ever did was make a drmatic hit when the WR already caught the ball (couldn't cover) Ware either makes the sack or watches the play go by him - he's all pursuit and no tackle.

I don't think Ware is the best talent Ryan's ever had because I think Ware is vastly overrated.

leemajors
01-17-2011, 11:51 AM
yeah 15.5 sacks while facing constant double teams is not very impressive.

jjktkk
01-17-2011, 12:07 PM
My point was Ryan had plenty of talent, albiet maybe not someone who hasn't proven to be more than a flash in the pan, yet. Right now, everyone thinks he is the bee's knees because he plays for skeletor, i.e. Roy Williams making pro bowls when he couldn't cover my deceased grandma, Romo making the pro bowl after playing 5 games, and the annual cowgirls of arlington love fest that happens.

Case in point - Ware has zero reason to be named pro bowl this year especially over Briggs and Urlcher and Fletcher and Tuck; but he did because of the uniform he wears. Just like all RW ever did was make a drmatic hit when the WR already caught the ball (couldn't cover) Ware either makes the sack or watches the play go by him - he's all pursuit and no tackle.

I don't think Ware is the best talent Ryan's ever had because I think Ware is vastly overrated.

Your replys have failed in every way so far. You keep bringing up Roy Williams like your zinging me, but in case you haven't noticed, Roy Williams is not with the Cowboys no longer, hasn't been for a few years now. And yes Roy Williams was overated, but what Roy Williams has to do with the hiring of Rob Ryan, or Demarcus Ware, I don't know, maybe you need to enlighten me on that one. You can hate on the Cowboys, but if you think Ware is "vastly overated", I think you need to watch alot more more football.

BUMP
01-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Darrell Russell was 2x All NFL, Charles Woodson plus a host of other All Pros and whatnot. They had a young Woodson, Asomugha, Phillip Buchanon, Ray Buchanan, Eric Allen and Marques Pope all on the field at once in the secondary then. The middle was filled with guys like Biekert and Coleman and they had Russell and Upshaw and the like up front.

lolwut?

Rob Ryan didn't become defensive coordinator until 2004. The guys I bolded weren't even on the team when he was coordinator and most not even in the NFL. And Ray Buchanan was in his last season during Ryan's first year as coordinator.

Case in point - Ware has zero reason to be named pro bowl this year especially over Briggs and Urlcher and Fletcher and Tuck.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

this is especially retarded. I'll be the first to say that Ware didn't have a typical Ware like season, but he still led the NFL in sacks. I don't know how a guy like that, especially with his reputation, has any chance of being left out.

JoeTait75
01-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Ryan's best pass rusher in Cleveland was Marcus Benard, a former undrafted free agent. Not a bad player but certainly not dominant, not even an every-down starter. If he's got some studs to rush the passer he might not feel the need to take chances with the blitz.

samikeyp
01-17-2011, 02:51 PM

Of course you do...you think anyone who has wore a Star on their helmet since 1960 is vastly overrated.

Right now, Ware is nothing more than a perrineal all pro

yeah because that is a bad thing.

MajorMike
01-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Yah; he lead the NFL in sack but wasn't in the top 100 in tackles.

He's just as good as Elvis Dumervil.

You know the best comparison to Ware? Shawn Merriman. Wasn't he the best defensive player ever in the NFL around 2006?

Flame all you want; you can't prove me wrong for another 3 or 4 years, anyway. By that time I will be long over saying, 'I told you so' when skeletor fans are riding him out of town (which is exactly where the RW mention ties in).

BUMP.
01-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Yah; he lead the NFL in sack but wasn't in the top 100 in tackles.

He's just as good as Elvis Dumervil.

You know the best comparison to Ware? Shawn Merriman. Wasn't he the best defensive player ever in the NFL around 2006?

Flame all you want; you can't prove me wrong for another 3 or 4 years, anyway. By that time I will be long over saying, 'I told you so' when skeletor fans are riding him out of town (which is exactly where the RW mention ties in).

:tu

Cool story bro

lol guy leading the NFL in sacks doesn't deserve to go to the pro bowl

Whisky Dog
01-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Ware is a beast and changes the game with his presence and ability. Many D coordinators have gone on record saying this but he sucks because Capt Mike says so.

I admittedly don't know shit about this Ryan. Hope he works out and they're successful, but IMO as long as Jerry is the GM and making player decisions we'll be inconsistent and mediocre. It's just our fate.

scott
01-17-2011, 10:57 PM
LOL @ saying a guy who has led the NFL in sacks twice in his 6 year career being "nothing more than a perrineal all pro". 80 sacks in his first 6 seasons. Lawrence Taylor had 71 in his first season, counting the "unofficial" 9.5 his rookie year.

slick'81
01-18-2011, 06:07 PM
good hire for big d well qualified and will bring an attitude to the d

Trill Clinton
01-21-2011, 08:10 PM

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/bhilde1/35046yf.gif@ this whole post

scottspurs
01-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Major Mike just might be the worst poster on spurstalk.

MajorMike
01-22-2011, 02:12 AM
O-ver-ra-ted, clap, clap, clapclapclap

MajorMike
01-22-2011, 02:21 AM

No way. I would not trade Jefferson for Carmelo.

scottspurs
01-22-2011, 12:18 PM
And I still wouldn't trade Jefferson for Carmelo. It's called Chemistry and Carmelo destroys it. You continue to prove my point. How long did you have to search through my posts :lol

Zelophehad
01-22-2011, 12:27 PM
LOL @ saying a guy who has led the NFL in sacks twice in his 6 year career being "nothing more than a perrineal all pro". 80 sacks in his first 6 seasons. Lawrence Taylor had 71 in his first season, counting the "unofficial" 9.5 his rookie year.

I love D-Ware too, but lets not get crazy. Taylor was DPOY his rookie year (only player ever to win it their first year) and then to prove that wasn't a fluke he won it again the next year. By his sixth year in the league he had a still unbeaten record of 3 DPOYs, an MVP, and a ring. Don't embarrass Ware by comparing him to LT, it just shows your ignorance of 1980s era football tbh.

BUMP
01-22-2011, 12:27 PM

Not anymore

And I still wouldn't trade Jefferson for Carmelo. It's called Chemistry and Carmelo destroys it. You continue to prove my point. How long did you have to search through my posts :lol

djohn2oo8
01-22-2011, 12:31 PM

wow, just wow:wow

scottspurs
01-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Dallas Mavericks :lmao

scottspurs
01-22-2011, 12:34 PM
and Houston Rockets :lmao

Overrating Carmelo because of your little crush, hoping he will come to your team and give you something called hope, which he will actually destroy.

Zelophehad
01-22-2011, 12:34 PM
:lmao rocket fan joining in the clowning

djohn2oo8
01-22-2011, 12:39 PM
and Houston Rockets :lmao

Overrating Carmelo because of your little crush, hoping he will come to your team and give you something called hope, which he will actually destroy.

lol how in the hell can you destroy hope when you don't have any? Yeah, because Melo on the Spurs would make them worse :lmao

MajorMike
01-22-2011, 12:44 PM
You continue to prove my point.

So fun to watch the dying flail.

scottspurs
01-22-2011, 12:46 PM
He would make them worse. Carmelo is pouting about not being in New York. He knows the new CBA is going to screw him over and on top of all that he is a horrible defender. I never said Jefferson is the better player I would just rather stick with what the spurs have which has led to the best record in the league and not have a player like Carmelo destroy the chemistry they have going.

Back on topic I think Rob Ryan is a good hire and I hope he brings confidence to the Cowboys Defense like Rex did in NY. Anyone who thinks D-ware is not one of the best players in the NFL doesn't know a thing about football.

MajorMike
01-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Of course you do...you think anyone who has wore a Star on their helmet since 1960 is vastly overrated

No; Dez is the real deal.

scottspurs
01-22-2011, 12:49 PM
And I still wouldn't trade Jefferson for Carmelo. It's called Chemistry and Carmelo destroys it. You continue to prove my point. How long did you have to search through my posts

And I still wouldn't trade Jefferson for Carmelo. It's called Chemistry and Carmelo destroys it. You continue to prove my point. How long did you have to search through my posts

Dr. Gonzo
01-22-2011, 09:06 PM
No; Dez is the real deal.

Jesus Christ you are a fucking retard. Ware is over rated and Dez is the real deal? Those two statements are just plain dumb.

Dez has potential to be great but he will get in his own way so he is not the "real deal". The only reason you say that is because of the OSU banner you have flying in your avatar.

Ware is one of the best, if not the best, pass rusher in the game. He is not over rated by any means. I don't think he's a sure fire hall of famer but he is an elite defensive player today.

Dr. Gonzo
01-22-2011, 09:07 PM

God dammit this is fucking dumb.

DPG21920
01-30-2011, 03:59 PM
lol dead forum

Greg Oden
01-30-2011, 04:00 PM
the little man is angry

DPG21920
01-30-2011, 04:02 PM
MMA forum is even busier than this. You should crominate that place as well.

Greg Oden
01-30-2011, 04:03 PM
DPG is disgusted of his irrelevant place on ST.

DPG21920
01-30-2011, 04:05 PM
lol dead forum.

Greg Oden
01-30-2011, 04:39 PM
the little man is angry

jjktkk
02-01-2011, 06:52 PM
I play Madden on XBOX with my BFF Tyson, thats why I'm the Moderator on here.