PDA

View Full Version : Stories on game last night from site I write for.

Rummpd
05-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Stories from www.hoopsworld.com

AGREE TO DISAGREE: Phoenix Finds Their 'D' ... In 'Desperation' And Now In 'Done'
By Peter Rumm, Greg White and Tracy Graven
for HOOPSWORLD.com
May 29, 2005, 12:09 Email this article
Printer friendly page

In Case You Missed It ... Mission Accomplished
Greg does some backpeddling; T finally caves in and makes a concession; and Petey M.D. tells it like it is in today's summation of the Spurs - Suns series, which is about to close out - fittingly - on a day in which we honor the dead ...

Peter Rumm
Basketball News Services

A sold out SBC Center was rocking as the Spurs, up to 2 to 0, went home on Saturday bringing in the their 38 and 3 facing the Phoenix Suns who brought the best road record in the league. They left up 3 to 0 after a hard fought 102 to 92 victory and demonstrated why they should be considered a serious favorite to take the NBA title for the third time within a decade. Once again the story of the game was that the Suns got a great performance from Amare Stoudemire, but limited contributions by Shawn Marion and Quentin Richardson, and an average night by Steve Nash were too much to overcome.

Going into the game, Joe Johnson, their 6'7" swingman, who was coming back from a facial injury and wearing a mask, said to ESPN's Jim Gray that he was ready to go. He stated confidently that he did not feel any added pressure despite being seen as a possible "savior" for the Suns chances.

Perhaps as a premonition of the night to come, right off the bat on the opening tip, the energetic Manu Ginobili drove for a beautiful lay up followed by a tough drive by Tony Parker who seemingly drove at will throughout the first quarter.

Showing ill effects of his injury, Johnson hit his first two three- pointers, showing no ill effects of the injury. But the hot shooting Spurs opened a quick 24- 17 lead. With some hot three- point shooting, the Suns hung tough into the latter part of the first quarter but the Spurs responded. Led by the brilliant defense of Ginobili, who had a couple of steals, they gradually opened up a 38- 29 lead.

The beginning of the second quarter was fairly ragged as the teams traded baskets, but Tim Duncan continued his sharp free throw shooting and already had 12 points and seven rebounds by the third minute of the quarter. However, the Spurs went cold and the Suns gradually pulled to within six at the 5:41 mark. It wasn't long before Manu and Parker quickly got to work, posting back to back beautiful plays that stretched San Antonio's buffer quickly back up to 10 at 47- 37. The Suns game right back, though, with a wonderful alley-oop and a strong dunk by Stoudemire.

Arguably the best defensive team in the league, the Spurs went to work forcing consecutive turnovers, blocks, and drives to the hole to open up a 56-39 lead. The Suns scored only 10 points in the second quarter matching their season low, and went in to the locker room with 39 points, tying their lowest first half output of the season, which was against Houston, in a game the came back and won. Could they do it again in the second half, this time against a power team like the Spurs?

The second half opened with the Suns scoring on their first two possessions but the Spurs held onto their 17 point lead after two scoring possessions by the Spurs. This was followed by a nice three point play the old fashioned way by Johnson that cut the lead to 62- 48. However, despite a quick start, the Spurs were able to rebuild their lead to 19 on an old fashioned three point answer lead by Ginobili and maintained it back up to 16, 76- 60 at the 2:27 mark.

Phoenix guard Steve Nash got to the line at the two minute mark and surprisingly missed his first free throw but made the second and the Spurs scored on a steal to go back up by 17 and ended the quarter with the same lead they had going in with a score of 80- 63.

After the Spurs opened up a 20- point lead on a three pointer by Brent Barry, the Suns made a quick 11- 0 run, led by a couple brilliant plays by Stoudemire to pull to make it 83- 74. Parker responded with a nice jumper that was matched by a equally nice one by Jim Jackson. But Bruce Bowen responded with a three from his favorite place in the corner. Stoudemire continued his strong interior play to pull the Suns within 10 at 90- 80 at the 5:25 minute mark.

The teams traded baskets which included a hard slam by Duncan on a nice feed from Parker. This was followed by a wonderful running shot in the lane by Nash that kept the lead at 10 within the three minute mark. Duncan hit a jump shot on a quick feed with only six on the shot clock followed by another great score by Stoudemire, who then went to the line with 2:02 left to pull the Suns within nine at 96- 87. Nash made a driving lay up with 1:22 left to pull it to seven. On the next possession, a three point shot by Manu that would have iced game somehow went in an out, giving the Suns yet another opportunity, on a night where they had many, but failed to capitalize. However, on the other side Stoudemire missed the first of a two-shot charity opportunity, though he made the second, to keep the Spurs ahead still by six with 32 seconds left.

The indomitable Duncan was fouled on the other end and hit his twelfth and thirteenth straight free throws in the game to give him 31 points and 15 rebounds. After a score by Marion, Ginobili hit two more free throws to give him 18 for the game. After a missed three on the other side, Duncan was followed and hit his fourteenth and fifteenth consecutive free throws to run his point total to 33 in his third consecutive solid effort, despite playing on heavily taped ankles, and the Spurs won the game comfortably by ten with a final score of 102- 92.

The Spurs were led by Duncan with 33, while both Parker and Ginobili wrapped with 18, respectively. The Suns were led by Stoudemire's brilliant 34, while Nash had 20 points (yet only three assists), and Johnson returned to contribute 15 in a fine performance. Overall, the Spurs had 49 (including 16 offensive) rebounds to 36 for the Suns.

In the end, despite a nice run by the Suns to make it interesting, the Spurs once again were the better team. They continue to look like they are a driven team on a mission. With three stars, a deep bench and a great coach in Gregg Popovich, they look primed to make a serious run at another title in the finals.

A Little Backpeddling?

Greg White
Basketball News Services

Well I hate to say it, but I was wrong. I predicted the Suns to lose this series in six games. Looks like I was two games off and either gave the Suns too much credit, or the Spurs not enough. The bottom line is, this series was won a couple of months ago.

When San Antonio came to Phoenix and scratched Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili right before the game, they took the Suns hearts in that game. It would have been a little better if the Suns had blown out the Spurs, but they barely won without the Spurs two best players. From that point on, the Suns knew they couldn't beat this team and they've played like it.

What makes it even more disheartening is that they've gotten beat at their own game. And, of course, they can't win at the Spurs style as we say them only put up 92 tonight, and that was even with them putting up 29 in the fourth. I have four numbers for you: 3, 5, 8, and 38.

3: the amount of assists Steve Nash had tonight
5: the amount of three's the Suns made tonight.
8: the amount of fast break points the Suns scored tonight.
38: the amount the Spurs scored in the first quarter.

And even I thought that adding Joe Johnson would help the Suns defense, three-point shooting, and ball movement. As you see, the Suns didn't get too much ball movement, didn't get any transition baskets nor baskets from beyond the arch, and didn't slow down the Suns guards.

Can the series be salvaged? Uh, no. Not even the most ardent Suns fan feels their team has a chance. But they need to play with a little more heart than what they are showing. According to ESPN's Jim Gray, Amare is blaming his playing the center position on not being able to stop Duncan. Uh, hello, Amare. Even if you had not played a lick of center this season, your assignment would still be Duncan, because he is a power forward. Making excuses is just him giving up.

Getting one in in San Antonio and maybe one in Phoenix to push this series out to six is not too far fetched. But the Suns are going to need to play smarter, with more energy, and at least attempt to play some defense. If the Suns pull out Game Four on Monday, they will most definitely win Game Five. But the question is, can they win Game Four? Well what I am seeing right now is not the Suns team I have watched all season. If they bring that Suns team that I have watched all year to San Antonio, they will pull it out.

You will know by the end of the first quarter.

Phoenix Finds Their 'D' - In 'Desperation' And Now 'Done'

First quarter?

Greg, we'll know by toady, when Coach of the Year Mike D'Antoni's comments come out in all the papers.

"Sometimes there are just better teams - they're one of them."

That sounds a little like a concession speech ... and that was in the middle of Game Three. It's a wonder that the Suns came out with any fight at all in the second half, much less a fourth quarter in which they almost pulled it off - sans Steve Nash.

Greg, you and I are a lot alike, but you are a better person than I am and have set a fine example. You can admit when you're wrong. I am still not able, even though I have the Spurs staring me in the face right here in San Anton'.

Not only do I live right here in the same city the best team in the league does, and an organization that USA Today notes sets the standard in professional sports (kudos, P-Holt!), but I can't walk down the street without hearing how damn good the Spurs are, seeing "I'm Ginobili's Girlfriend" or "Say Hello To My Little Friend" t-shirts everywhere, and hearing it day after day after my "expert" ass put the Suns against the Heat in the NBA Finals.

I was nearly hung - not in effigy - HUNG, after I predicted the Nuggets would win Game One and they did. No one would talk to me until after Game Two, when the Spurs blew out the Nuggets like they were nothing more than a paper bag. Puffed, popped, discarded.

Since then, there's been nothing but trash talk between me and the residents of this area, and I got a few more shining moments when the Sonics won Games Three and Four and made the second round a competitive series, despite losing two starters right off the bat with ankle sprains. Hell, in what was to be a cordial lunch with Bill "The Rocket Guy" Ingram, he touted the Spurs so much, you'd have thought he was campaigning for Mayor (he'd be a better candidate that the two pricks that a running off this week).

San Antonio had their bumps and bruises, too - and lived the theorem that what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

But, in no way, did I figure that they'd manhandle the Suns the way they have, both playing the Suns' game and making the Suns play their game in their crib last night. I figured the highlight of this series would be Steve Nash and Manu Ginobili.

I have been severely disappointed in our "MVP," who should have been Dwyane Wade anyhow; our "Coach of the Year," who should have been Indiana's Rick Carlisle; I'll give Bryan Colangelo my vote on "Executive of the Year" - he earned it ... (John Weisbrod could have learned a lot from Colangelo if he hadn't pussed out and went back to hockey).

You mention ball movement? I had more ball movement in my shorts as I watched the game ... and that was only because I got up to go get a large Coke and gravity did what she does to a 40-year-old man with boxers. If not for that, I'd have been just as inert with my ball movement as Nash was with his.

And not because of Nash ... because of Tony Parker, who seems to elevate his game every game. He got to the rack so many times last night you'd think he had a picture of Eva Longoria's rack posted on the glass ... if so, he violated that photo several times last night, getting everything from three feet and in, and never went downtown but once, albeit briefly (poor Eva - call me) ...

I have doubted the Spurs every step of the way, and they have proven me wrong.

Pleasantly wrong.

Yeah, the Suns finally found their 'D' that's been missing all series long - it's been hiding to the left of an apostrophe in their coach's name, but now it's prevalent - in the word "desperation."

That's right, the 'D' has gone from "desperation" to "disconnected," "defended," "disappointing," and now, likely, "done." That 'D' is such a dirty little tramp, getting around the Phoenix locker room like that after being away for so long. Little whore letter ... no wonder they don't use in in anything but defense here in the Alamo city.

Erstwhile, the Spurs have started spinning the wheel just right, getting a S, a W, and a P and have enough to buy the vowel 'E.'

Never been much of a Spurs fan - I'm an NBA fan, obviously - but not much of a Spurs fan ... until I moved here and saw the team, met the team, and see the character, heart and class the drives this franchise.

And while I can't truly say I am a fan, per se, I can tell you that all my kids own Spurs gear; they drop everything when the Spurs are on TV or even mentioned; they know all the players names and have their favorites ... as do I, now.

It is difficult to pick a star out of this bunch ... which is why they have to be the odds on favorite to win it all. My daughter loves Parker, my other Ginobili and my three-year-old son will try to beat you down if you take his No. 21 jersey off to wash it while he's awake - which is really encouraging - I wonder if the Suns would give a three-year-old a contract ... he could teach them how to fight back and I could retire.

As for me, my team stalwart is Nazr Mohammed ... and not just because I am good friends with his brother, although I wish I could find a jersey with the No. 2 on it to sport around town. Until Alhaji or Nazr hook me up, I have to wear Ginobili's upside down and inside out.

(How 'bout it, Haj'? Hook a brother up?)

Nazr has quietly been one of the most mitigating factors in every series the Spurs have won, and gotten little recognition outside the immediately family of the Spurs organization. Even San Antonio media (for lack of a better word) doesn't give Mohammed the credit he deserves. But, hello, he is starting and playing solidly ... something he hasn't been given the minutes to do since he played for Rick Pitino in Kentucky.

Whether Mohammed has to face Ben Wallace or the Shaquille O'Neal - Alonzo Mourning tandem in the Heat, he'll have a tough row to hoe. But then, he's already had Marcus Camby, Jerome James and Amare Stoudemire in his grill, on his toes, and chest-to-chest for 14 games now ... to be the best, you've got to beat the best.

Right now, that's Mohammed; that's Parker; that's Ginobili; that's Duncan; that's Bruce Bowen; that's Robert Horry; that's Brent Barry - that's your San Antonio Spurs.

Much as I hate to admit it.

The playoffs will be back in Phoenix ... on the Suns' TV's.

At best they get one game ... but it won't be this season.

Get the fork.

The timer's popped up - and this team ... the Suns ... is definitely a turkey.

Where's the fat lady?

Get her fat ass out of the fast food restaurant and tell her to put that severed finger back in her purse.

She's got some singing to do.

SouthernFried
05-29-2005, 10:56 PM
How do guys like this get a job writing about sports when they obviously suck so much at it?

TMSKILZ
05-29-2005, 11:13 PM
was entertaining to read.

maxpower
05-29-2005, 11:14 PM
It's called the In-ter-net.

Quasar
05-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Tracy Graven's article was quite interesting although his writing style is more similar to an online blog.

Are his articles published without heavy editing? :D

xcoriate
05-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Its ok I don't believe in proof reading either :lol

Do Hoopsworld pay for these articles??

Rummpd
05-30-2005, 07:18 AM
A very small amount = I will never quit my day job!

xcoriate
05-30-2005, 07:29 AM
:lol so its like that :)