PDA

View Full Version : Pop on Tiago avoiding injury

deibero
01-17-2011, 12:32 AM
"His butt bone must be made out of steel."

Hahahahhaha

ElNono
01-17-2011, 12:33 AM
I'm glad that's all he said. I was afraid he would be mad because he dunked the ball when the game was over.

crc21209
01-17-2011, 12:35 AM
Well at least Pop is having some fun with it too...:lol

Mugen
01-17-2011, 12:37 AM

Hahahahhaha

Pop: " ...haha in all seriousness though, he's not playing for the rest of the year."

jeebus
01-17-2011, 12:39 AM
:pop: "We're going to use Tiago for spare parts to fix up Bonner if he gets hurt"

Capt Bringdown
01-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Splitter's doing laps and sprint drills in Pop's vast, cavernous wine cellar as we type. Hauling cases in the AM as well.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Tiago got up so fast and had that grin on his face because he wanted to salvage any remaining pieces of his pride.

EricB
01-17-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm glad that's all he said. I was afraid he would be mad because he dunked the ball when the game was over.

If he is or was pissed, he wouldn't show it outside the locker room.

That kinda stuff would've been handled internally...

Blackjack
01-17-2011, 01:14 AM
The only thing I saw on that play was Andrew Bogut. That was the immediate image that popped into my head and I cringed when he put that arm down to break his fall.

As for him dunking, the team was getting murdered on the press and I'm pretty sure the last thing Tiago or anyone else wanted to do was dribble out the clock. The Nuggets hadn't called off the dogs (and a rather apt description, if I do say so myself -- and I do), so I don't blame him at all for seeing daylight and making a break for it. And that's exactly what he did -- he sold out on the play because he and that group were still playing with urgency in light of the Nuggets making a run.

Besides, he doesn't need a Nazr moment to find the bench. That's what Matt Bonner is for.

wontstartdumbthreads
01-17-2011, 01:20 AM
:pop: "We're going to use Tiago for spare parts to fix up Bonner if he gets hurt"

That's ridiculous.

YoMamaIsCallin
01-17-2011, 01:49 AM
You realize he got pushed? One of several apparent attempts by Nugs to inflict injury.

SenorSpur
01-17-2011, 03:18 AM
With Splitter's injury history, I feared that he had possibly bruised his tailbone. Fortunately Pop did that for him with his post-game words. :-)

TinTin
01-17-2011, 03:20 AM
Pop: " ...haha in all seriousness though, he's not playing for the rest of the year."

:lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-17-2011, 03:41 AM
Tiago was just trying to experience some of the butthurt that his rabid Spurstalk fanbase has going on.

UnWantedTheory
01-17-2011, 03:46 AM
It was a tad funny, but I was very happy he slammed the fucking ball!!! Despite it being pointless, I had a woot woot moment.

SenorSpur
01-17-2011, 04:55 AM
I remember the Andrew Bogut one from last year. Used his arm to break his fall and ended up breaking it and screaming obscenities in Australian. That ended his season, too.

That was a very nasty fall he took. It's no wonder he was done for the season.

ChuckD
01-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Tiago was just trying to experience some of the butthurt that his rabid Spurstalk fanbase has going on.

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

ChuckD
01-17-2011, 07:31 AM

I think Pop would have just been happy they broke the press just once. If Denver were just waiting for them to walk the ball up, that's one thing, but they weren't acting like the game was over, so a dunk is fully in order.

rasho8
01-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Aside from not hanging on to the rim and falling on his ass, that was a nice break.

I loved Duncan asking if he is alright as the game ends, then looking toward the rim as Tiago walks by and just shaking his head with this "wtf was that" look on his face.

temujin
01-17-2011, 09:30 AM

Hahahahhaha

Pop should know better than anybody, as he's "forged" Tiago's steel butt, by sitting him on the bench forever.

hater
01-17-2011, 10:16 AM
had he injured himself, that would have been his career as a Spur.

CIA Pop
01-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Stupid shit finally gets some playing time and ends up almost killing himself. How many more years before Tim retires, anyway?

bigfan
01-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Hey idiots, if you watch the last minute of the game the Nuggets were scoring pretty easily. Im sure Splitter just wanted to put the nail in the coffin but got pushed during his dunk. Yeah, he'll eat some crow right now but if Pop has any brains (and I know he does) he will get Splitter lots of minutes in the next game to get past this awkward moment. The guy is young, has a good attitude and has plenty of potential. Lets not knock him around.

ohmwrecker
01-17-2011, 10:37 AM
You realize he got pushed? One of several apparent attempts by Nugs to inflict injury.

No. He wasn't pushed. He is just a goober.

EXaxWbtbHSw

ElNono
01-17-2011, 10:50 AM
I think he just tried to hold onto the rim and slipped... I didn't think anybody pushed him.
It was a goof, and I'm glad he's allright.

alchemist
01-17-2011, 10:53 AM
I thought he had gotten injured, hopefully everything is alright today......I'm sure his ass will be bruised today

nkdlunch
01-17-2011, 11:01 AM
well we can literally say Tiago is a broke ass, or Bundao Partido

jermaine
01-17-2011, 11:35 AM
:wow I didnt see that lastnight! Im not a fan of scoring after the game is already over so that what his ass gets! :bang I bet you next time his ass will pull out to the top of the key next time. That was some JR Smith classless kinda shit he did! :lmao

ChuckD
01-17-2011, 11:52 AM
:wow I didnt see that lastnight! Im not a fan of scoring after the game is already over so that what his ass gets! :bang I bet you next time his ass will pull out to the top of the key next time. That was some JR Smith classless kinda shit he did! :lmao

Hey, dumbass, Denver was still pressing/trapping, and cutting into the lead. You do that, you get dunked on if you fail.

jermaine
01-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Hey, dumbass, Denver was still pressing/trapping, and cutting into the lead. You do that, you get dunked on if you fail.
Bitch lick a dick! They took Melo an Billups out already and we was up by 10! Go fuck off somewhere. Thats the problem with this forum. Bitches like you! because we dont share the same beliefs you gotta call me names! Get the fuck on dummy. Even if you reply to this you wont get anymore of my time youu trailor park peice of trash!:p:

wontstartdumbthreads
01-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Bitch lick a dick! They took Melo an Billups out already and we was up by 10! Go fuck off somewhere. Thats the problem with this forum. Bitches like you! because we dont share the same beliefs you gotta call me names! Get the fuck on dummy. Even if you reply to this you wont get anymore of my time youu trailor park peice of trash!:p:

They took Melo and Billups out because they sucked. Karl was keeping the group in there that was at least giving some effort and actually scoring. Did you even watch the game? I agree with whoever said that they got what they deserved running a full court press. That's their prerogative to play it until the end but they can't expect Tiago to pull up. Had Tiago done that, I’m sure the Nuggets would have tried to steal the ball. Are you really that much of an idiot????

ChuckD
01-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Bla,bla,bla!!!

Worst imitation of a black person by a white person in the history of this forum, and there have been a lot.

BackHome
01-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Fuck Denver and that little @ITCH Melo....I remember that game where Melo sucker punched a player and when that player came after him he actually RAN away. What was even funnier was when a reporter asked Nash about the incident he said I played hockey and if one of our own team mates had run away we the team would have kicked his ass.

SCREW THE THUGS!

SA210
01-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Love the aggression.

Dex
01-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Dude barely ever gets a sniff at the basket. Who can really blame him for wanting to stick down a breakaway dunk at home?

Besides, Owens kind of baited him with the lead pass. Once he was running to the basket, there was only one place that ball was going, and it's not like the Nuggets weren't trying to make a late (but futile) run.

Still, a sore backside should be a pleasant reminder just to dribble out the clock next time.

Blackjack
01-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Again, it's not a mystery what happened on the play.

The Nuggets went on a 12-5 run in the closing minutes of the game because the squad on the floor couldn't handle the press. Hill and Quinn were getting harassed and Jefferson, Splitter and eventually Owens didn't have the ability to alleviate that pressure. Finally when the Spurs managed to break the press, it led to an open-court opportunity for Splitter and an easy two -- as is usually the case when the press is broken.

He did the right thing looking to score. Given all that had gone before and the personnel he had on the floor, wouldn't you be looking to seal the game with a bucket instead of keeping the ball in play to take your chances with the pressing and trapping again? The Nuggets had not thrown in the towel.

That's what Splitter was thinking, and that's why he almost got hurt in the process: he sold out to make sure he got the two and didn't worry about chopping his steps or measuring his landing. He went full speed for the dunk with no thought other than to make the shot -- bigmen don't have the brakes for course-correction . . .

Viva Las Espuelas
01-17-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm still on the fence with this guy. He makes Bonner look like a legend.

pad300
01-17-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm still on the fence with this guy. He makes Bonner look like a legend.

Bonner is a LEGEND... It's just not a positive one...

MannyIsGod
01-17-2011, 03:40 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

So good.

MannyIsGod
01-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Again, it's not a mystery what happened on the play.

The Nuggets went on a 12-5 run in the closing minutes of the game because the squad on the floor couldn't handle the press. Hill and Quinn were getting harassed and Jefferson, Splitter and eventually Owens didn't have the ability to alleviate that pressure. Finally when the Spurs managed to break the press, it led to an open-court opportunity for Splitter and an easy two -- as is usually the case when the press is broken.

He did the right thing looking to score. Given all that had gone before and the personnel he had on the floor, wouldn't you be looking to seal the game with a bucket instead of keeping the ball in play to take your chances with the pressing and trapping again? The Nuggets had not thrown in the towel.

That's what Splitter was thinking, and that's why he almost got hurt in the process: he sold out to make sure he got the two and didn't worry about chopping his steps or measuring his landing. He went full speed for the dunk with no thought other than to make the shot -- bigmen don't have the brakes for course-correction . . .

You're approaching Harlem Heat/Lebron apologist status with this post.

DMC
01-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Fuck Denver and that little @ITCH Melo....I remember that game where Melo sucker punched a player and when that player came after him he actually RAN away. What was even funnier was when a reporter asked Nash about the incident he said I played hockey and if one of our own team mates had run away we the team would have kicked his ass.

SCREW THE THUGS!
wow u real mad

Bartleby
01-17-2011, 03:58 PM

He's right though. It made little sense for Tiago--who is not a great ball handler and an even worse free throw shooter--to try to dribble out the clock when he had a clear path to the basket.

Mugen
01-17-2011, 04:03 PM
He's right though. It made little sense for Tiago--who is not a great ball handler and an even worse free throw shooter--to try to dribble out the clock when he had a clear path to the basket.

Yup, plus people here would have complained about Tiago being afraid/being soft when he had a clear path to the hoop.

Players get into trouble when they overthink things, i like how tiago just followed his natural instinct to go for the dunk. Tho he might want to think about the landing next time.

BRs.Ganso
01-17-2011, 04:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5CDZPhmIzA&feature=player_embedded

:lmao

Great great Tiago!! hahahaha

and later of dunk, he still walking... o.O :lmao

:flag:

spurs10
01-17-2011, 04:10 PM
They were still trapping and playing hard. Glad he made the bucket and glad he's not hurt... The idea that Melo and Billups were not playing had nothing to do with them throwing in the towel. They had been benched because they were getting their butts kicked on national television.:flag::toast:flag:

cornbread
01-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Any old timers remember when Elliott had a fall during a dunk like this back around '91 or '92? It didn't have the Bogut extended arm thing going on but it was the same kind of deal where Elliott was on a fast break, he did a two-handed dunk, held the rim, his momentum took him forward, he lost his grip and fell on his back.

Spurs Brazil
01-17-2011, 06:35 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN
Pop says he's surprised Splitter felt no effects from tumbling after dunk last nite: "I think I would have been out for a month and a half."

BRs.Ganso
01-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Splitter just was trying to imitate Bogut... :rolleyes

Blackjack
01-17-2011, 10:08 PM

Manny, you’re better than this, my man. This passive aggressive butthurt you’re displaying, it ain’t a good look—not to mention ironic given the butthurt you find amusing, as seen in the ‘Exile post you quoted.

It’s funny, when I tried to temper some of the expectations of Splitter before we knew he’d be signing with the Spurs, I heard that I was coming off as some naysayer or contrarian. But now that some are coming to the realization that he’s not going to be the next front-court heir-apparent, I’m an apologist. I’m actually the same guy, tbh. Which is why you don’t see me going from 0 to suck in all of Tiago’s garbage-time galore.

Tiago, like myself, is the same guy. He’s still 6-11, mobile, intelligent and equipped with quality hands and footwork. He’s a guy that combines those attributes with a resume that includes winning the regular-season and Finals MVP in what many have called the best league outside of the NBA (or third-best in all the world. Greece—of course—being El Numero Uno). He’s not a bum. He does not suck. And just because you’ve apparently been disappointed with his studliness, well, it doesn’t mean you need to go the curmudgeon/butthurt route.

Getting Tiago minutes to acclimate to his teammates—the top of the rotation and not the piecemeal squad of a mop-up crew—gives the Spurs their best bet defensively and for long term success in my view. I’ve come to peace with that not coming to fruition and the fact that Bonner will likely be relied upon to make 3s under playoff pressure, ceding minutes only to Duncan and ‘Dyess, so it is what it is. I’m stocking up on rum and offerings for Jobu.

The only thing I’d rephrase in the post you found so much amusement in, is the fact that I implied he did the correct thing, as if he would have been in the wrong had he not done what he did. That’s not what I meant to imply. But I stand by what his rationale was in the moment and I completely understand why he did what he did. I find no fault in him trying to put the game away with a dunk in the hopes that the Nuggs would call off the dogs defensively or that they could salt away the rest of the clock by playing D rather than having to handle the ball. It’s heat of the moment. The Nuggets had been on a 12-5 run in the closing minutes and just prior to his breakaway the Spurs gave up two layups off consecutive steals—when you’re a big man with daylight under that circumstance, after a successful press has been broken and all your teammates are at your back, you tend not to think about evasive dribbling or allowing yourself to get fouled. You take the easy two, and you make damn sure you get the two.

He did; he just failed to make sure he wasn’t going too fast before takeoff or where he’d put the landing gear.