PDA

View Full Version : Blair then, Splitter now?

Blackjack
01-17-2011, 01:36 AM
I couldn't help but be reminded of last year's Manu and DeJuan tonight. Remember how good their chemistry was on the pick-and-roll and how it was almost worth having Manu on the bench if for no other reason then to have Blair's minutes coincide with his?

Well, the duo hasn't had nearly the success they had last year, beating up on second units when they came in and getting Blair's confidence going for the rest of the game. And in my not-so-humble opinion, Blair's starting serves a purpose for a long-term strategy (managing minutes and developing him alongside their best players) but isn't where he should find himself being if utilized correctly, to his and the team's greatest benefit.

So seeing as we may have seen Splitter being called upon for one of the last legit runs before Matthew Bonner returns, I've gotta ask: What's to stop Manu and Tiago from becoming last year's Manu and Blair (other than the coach, smartass)?

It just seemed so obvious how Manu felt about having Tiago on the court offensively. He was looking to hit him at every opportunity on the roll, whether it was the right play or not -- he looked as if he just got a new toy.

The timing and spacing was just a little off between the two but it wasn't hard to envision them clicking and excelling together if given the time to build their chemistry and knowledge of each other in real, game-time circumstance.

ElNono
01-17-2011, 01:43 AM
I like Manu as a starter. We have our best against the other team's best, and our bench with Neal, Hill, Dice and Bonner alongside one of TP/Manu has produced well too.

If you would be swapping Blair for Tiago, that means Tiago would have to start. I'm not necessarily against trying that, but unfortunately I don't see Manu running many P&R with Tiago when Tim, TP and even RJ are on the floor with them.

Mugen
01-17-2011, 01:55 AM
Tony has shown very good PnR chemistry with Tiago in the limited minutes he got earlier in the year.

So Tiago would be a great fit in the starting lineup IMO but Pop has been giving Dice increased minutes. DeJuan would really be falling out of the rotation if Pop made the switch to Tiago.

DesignatedT
01-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Misread.

Seems like they have a good chemistry but I don't see any playing time for Tiago unless it comes from Blairs expense which I don't necessarily see Pop doing either.

L.I.T
01-17-2011, 02:01 AM
If Pop can manage the substitutions (as in leaving Manu starting but bringing Splitter in with him) that would be good. Manu is one of the few with the vision and passing necessary to get Splitter on his cuts. As opposed to Bonner/Blair, I'd like to see more Manu/Bonner/Splitter on court. Splitters ability to suck in a defense, coupled with Bonner spotting up and Manus shooting and passing would be damn tough to defend.

Blackjack
01-17-2011, 02:10 AM
Yeah, I was talking about them starting together at some point. It's not going to happen but it seems to make too much sense for it not to.

Another thing I noticed, Splitter as the roll man creates just as many 3-point opportunities and plenty of enough spacing on the floor, especially when paired with 'Dyess. The difference is, you get more 3-point shots from your backcourt and at the wing instead of at the 4 -- defenses actually having to collapse on Splitter because of his size, mobility and the away he attacks the seam or slips to the basket without hesitation.

When Duncan's that roll man, teams can usually live with that. So long as they're not giving him a dunk or layup unimpeded, Tim's not what he once was on the roll. When it's Blair, teams tend to have a decent amount of success given his size (or lack thereof). 'Dyess isn't one to complete many a roll in traffic on the move (sans a straight-line drive to catch and score at the rim) and Bonner's camping out at the 3-point line; both 'Dyess and Bonner are pick-and-pop players, not roll.

What I'm getting at is, defenses are forced to honor and pay attention to Splitter differently than any of their other complimentary bigs and the way they play him creates similar opportunities, just from a different position or spot on the floor.

wontstartdumbthreads
01-17-2011, 02:16 AM
With all the hype about Splitter, it's disappointing that he doesn't seem to have developed any consistent go to shot.

Blackjack
01-17-2011, 02:21 AM
His go-to move is playing the pick-and-roll and drawing both offensive and defensive fouls. Which I can live with for now -- hell of a passer as well.

It would be nice if he developed or refined some of his interior shots to where they didn't look to be more useful at a track and field event, though.

L.I.T
01-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I was talking about them starting together at some point. It's not going to happen but it seems to make too much sense for it not to.

Another thing I noticed, Splitter as the roll man creates just as many 3-point opportunities and plenty of enough spacing on the floor, especially when paired with 'Dyess. The difference is, you get more 3-point shots from your backcourt and at the wing instead of at the 4 -- defenses actually having to collapse on Splitter because of his size, mobility and the away he attacks the seam or slips to the basket without hesitation.

When Duncan's that roll man, teams can usually live with that. So long as they're not giving him a dunk or layup unimpeded, Tim's not what he once was on the roll. When it's Blair, teams tend to have a decent amount of success given his size (or lack thereof). 'Dyess isn't one to complete many a roll in traffic on the move (sans a straight-line drive to catch and score at the rim) and Bonner's camping out at the 3-point line; both 'Dyess and Bonner are pick-and-pop players, not roll.

What I'm getting at is, defenses are forced to honor and pay attention to Splitter differently than any of their other complimentary bigs and the way they play him creates similar opportunities, just from a different position or spot on the floor.

In your other post below you referenced Splitter's passing ability, which along the interior is phenomenal. As good as Blair is, I think Splitter may be slightly better. What I haven't seen though is an ability to get quick passes out to the perimeter, when on the move from those cuts as well. If he has that in his repertoire it's another added passing dimension.

I suspect right now that he is most comfortable with rolling to the basket and finding seams in the interior. He always seems to be looking for that, even if it might not necessarily be part of the play.

Like you, what I hope to see is him start adding some more 'power' moves going towards the basket. Blair has surprised me with his ability to finish at difficult angles around the basket, as well as his ability to catch the ball on the move. That's a dimension that Dice really doesn't have. He's great popping for a jumper, but when he goes to the basket, unless he's just wide open, I always expect a TO.

If Splitter can get comfortable and more rotation minutes I do think a Dice/Splitter frontcourt is a great two-way lineup. Paired with a three guard lineup (or a pseudo three guard lineup) that can match up and put tremendous pressure on any bench in the league.

ChuckD
01-17-2011, 07:10 AM
His go-to move is playing the pick-and-roll and drawing both offensive and defensive fouls. Which I can live with for now -- hell of a passer as well.

It would be nice if he developed or refined some of his interior shots to where they didn't look to be more useful at a track and field event, though.

Yeah, Tiago doesn't finish well, something that Blair doesn't have a problem with.

Man In Black
01-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Curious...upon observation, why is it that I almost never see George Hill pass the ball to Splitter?

IF we go with that line of thinking, should GHill use Splitter more judiciously, then that could establish both of them as viable threats. It's like GHill goes into Bean mode and goes 1 against 4 then rather throw a nice no-look pass back to the big on a dive cut, he took a challenging shot and took a foul. Should he make that pass 1st, then next time he takes that shot, he gets the spacing.

:flag:

carina_gino20
01-17-2011, 07:51 AM
At this point, playing Splitter with Hill just wastes any opportunity Tiago may have in getting an offensive rhythm. He never gets the pass on the P&R.

Of course Tiago's gonna benefit with playing with Manu since Manu has one of the best court vision on the team. Manu's amazing passes and Blair's quick hands were great last year. This year, Manu's court vision and Tiago's instinct of finding open space could prove to be big as well. I'm surprised Pop hasn't tried to play them together more. Then again, Pop would have to actually play Tiago before garbage time for that to happen. :lol

dbestpro
01-17-2011, 09:10 AM
One of things I have noticed is opposing defenses really collapse on the big man rolling to the hoop leaving the ball handler with an open mid range jump shot or a player open for a corner three. The pass to the rolling big man simply has not been open.

E-RockWill
01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Curious...upon observation, why is it that I almost never see George Hill pass the ball to Splitter?

IF we go with that line of thinking, should GHill use Splitter more judiciously, then that could establish both of them as viable threats. It's like GHill goes into Bean mode and goes 1 against 4 then rather throw a nice no-look pass back to the big on a dive cut, he took a challenging shot and took a foul. Should he make that pass 1st, then next time he takes that shot, he gets the spacing.

:flag:

This.
I have seen George pass up giving him the rock off of the PnR. Tiago rolling towards the basket waiting for the pass that never comes is depressing. I think he needs to be fed that pass, if anything, to get his confidence up.

MullinFan
01-17-2011, 09:42 AM
You can tell Manu is trying to get Splitter involved when they are both out there. I think Tiago needs more time with Manu to get their timing down, when that happens we are gonna see alot more easy buckets and possibly (crosses fingers) a more consistent #22!!

Mel_13
01-17-2011, 09:57 AM
I like Manu as a starter. We have our best against the other team's best, and our bench with Neal, Hill, Dice and Bonner alongside one of TP/Manu has produced well too.

If you would be swapping Blair for Tiago, that means Tiago would have to start. I'm not necessarily against trying that, but unfortunately I don't see Manu running many P&R with Tiago when Tim, TP and even RJ are on the floor with them.

Good points.

Manu in the starting line-up makes both him and Tony better. There's no good reason to move Manu to the second unit. There's also almost no chance we see Splitter in the starting line-up. We're at the halfway point of the season and Splitter has played just a handful of minutes alongside Tim.

The only way we'll see large doses of Manu/Splitter is if Blair plays his way into Pop's doghouse. Then Dice starts and Splitter gets all of the backup center minutes. Then he'll come into the game at the end of the 1st and 3rd periods at about the same time that Manu is returning to the game. They played about 6 minutes together last night from the end of the 1st through the middle of second.

With a regular, predictable role it's reasonable to expect an improvement in Splitter's performance. He's got to get into the rotation first and that will only come at someone else's (Blair's) expense.

ElNono
01-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Good points.

Manu in the starting line-up makes both him and Tony better. There's no good reason to move Manu to the second unit. There's also almost no chance we see Splitter in the starting line-up. We're at the halfway point of the season and Splitter has played just a handful of minutes alongside Tim.

The only way we'll see large doses of Manu/Splitter is if Blair plays his way into Pop's doghouse. Then Dice starts and Splitter gets all of the backup center minutes. Then he'll come into the game at the end of the 1st and 3rd periods at about the same time that Manu is returning to the game. They played about 6 minutes together last night from the end of the 1st through the middle of second.

With a regular, predictable role it's reasonable to expect an improvement in Splitter's performance. He's got to get into the rotation first and that will only come at someone else's (Blair's) expense.

I thought about that (Blair and Splitter battling it out in the second unit) but I see that as unlikely simply because I noticed that Pop always wants one of Dice or Tim playing out there for defensive purposes when he's not flat-out playing small ball (or playing Dice and Tim together, normally to close out a game). I think the situation might present itself when there's foul trouble, but I don't particularly see it happening as a natural occurrence this season.

ElNono
01-17-2011, 10:44 AM
This.
I have seen George pass up giving him the rock off of the PnR. Tiago rolling towards the basket waiting for the pass that never comes is depressing. I think he needs to be fed that pass, if anything, to get his confidence up.

I think Hill has been given the green light to do whatever he pleases with the second unit as long as he brings aggression and energy out there (much like what Manu brought last season). He's much more of an attacker than a passer. Hill is very versatile but obviously he's still growing as a basketball player. At this stage, he basically only uses screens to either get his shot off or drive to the basket. It's a limitation, but as long as he feels comfortable out there doing that and he's effective, I don't have much of a problem. The rest of the game smarts will come with time.