PDA

View Full Version : The over under put us at 48 wins this year...

Cry Havoc
01-17-2011, 02:31 AM
And I just realized, looking at the schedule, we actually stand a very good chance to have 48 wins at the All-Star break.

15 games left before the break, all we have to do is go 13-2, and we'll be sitting at 48-8 with 26 games left in the season.

To even have a shot at that (single digit losses at the break) is pretty damn remarkable, and every Spurs fan watching the team play this year should soak this up, because even some elite teams never play this well for this length of time. 35-6 is incredible. Savor it, and look forward to a deep playoff run, because these guys don't seem to have any quit in them.

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-17-2011, 02:32 AM
Really is a great run

BanditHiro
01-17-2011, 02:33 AM
so 70 wins....and 16 more to go along with it of course

NASpurs
01-17-2011, 02:51 AM
Do you guys think this team is on a mission to not only have a great regular season that might go down into the record books but just be a dominate team that will go down as one of the greatest if they win a 'ship and continue blitzing teams in the regular season? Like they want to put an imprint in the NBA history books and go down as one of the greatest to further cement their legacy knowing that Manu, Tim and Tony's window are closing in the next few years or so.

Or am I reading too much into this? Is this just a team that wants HCA in the playoffs? :lol

Sense
01-17-2011, 02:53 AM
This hasn't been as remarkable as the last 2 great runs I remember from the Mavericks after starting horrible and just couldn't lose a game, and the Celtics... meshing in their first year.. but that's probably because I'm a fan and I expect the wins... I sure hope they only continue to get better.

Spursfanfromafar
01-17-2011, 02:56 AM
I think if the Spurs remain undefeated this month (the tough matchups include NOH in a back-to-back and Utah in Salt Lake), then the camp mentality during rodeo trip can help the Spurs actually reach 50+ wins by February end. There is a good chance.

The_Worlds_finest
01-17-2011, 03:18 AM
dont you know, Spurs are going to lose to the laker, mavericks, suns, boston, or miami?

m33p0
01-17-2011, 04:28 AM
Do you guys think this team is on a mission to not only have a great regular season that might go down into the record books but just be a dominate team that will go down as one of the greatest if they win a 'ship and continue blitzing teams in the regular season? Like they want to put an imprint in the NBA history books and go down as one of the greatest to further cement their legacy knowing that Manu, Tim and Tony's window are closing in the next few years or so.

Or am I reading too much into this? Is this just a team that wants HCA in the playoffs? :lol

you're reading too much into it. the only mission they have in mind is getting home court advantage. they never mentioned anything about history books during their interviews.

ChuckD
01-17-2011, 07:25 AM

The only way to "go into the record books" is to win 73, something there is no chance to do this year, in spite of the spectacular start.

I broke this down before the Denver game, but if the home and road win percentages stayed the same, the Spurs were going to win between 68 and 69 games. They likely won't, though. There is a 4 games in 5 nights embedded within an 5 in 7 on the RRT. That shit will take it's toll. If we have a big lead, Pop will probably piss away a couple of games at the end, too. I'm standing behind my prediction of 66.

dbestpro
01-17-2011, 09:24 AM
The only way to "go into the record books" is to win 73, something there is no chance to do this year, in spite of the spectacular start.

I broke this down before the Denver game, but if the home and road win percentages stayed the same, the Spurs were going to win between 68 and 69 games. They likely won't, though. There is a 4 games in 5 nights embedded within an 5 in 7 on the RRT. That shit will take it's toll. If we have a big lead, Pop will probably piss away a couple of games at the end, too. I'm standing behind my prediction of 66.

Also, you know once Pop secures home court advantage he will shut down the big three except for a couple minutes here and there.

jimo2305
01-17-2011, 12:21 PM
ahh yes i remember that 48 win over/under.. i lol'ed and was like wow..

ChuckD
01-17-2011, 12:29 PM

Keep in mind that's a betting line, a device designed to keep money even on both sides. Since average Joe never hears anything but shit about the Spurs on NT, they bet against, or under the line, driving it further down. You can make some money betting the Spurs and taking points, or betting the over.

Cry Havoc
01-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Keep in mind that's a betting line, a device designed to keep money even on both sides. Since average Joe never hears anything but shit about the Spurs on NT, they bet against, or under the line, driving it further down. You can make some money betting the Spurs and taking points, or betting the over.

Be real. Even the most ardent Spurs fan was thinking 55 wins this year was being fairly optimistic. I remember at the start of the season, we got on a roll and a lot of vet Spurs fans were trying to downplay it and say we would cool off and still only win about 50 games.

jimo2305
01-17-2011, 12:57 PM
i know i actually predicted 55 wins.. however i didn't predict such a hot start but rather us catching fire at the tail end in march..

Dex
01-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Spurs could go .500 for the rest of the year and still finish with 56-57 wins.

If the Spurs can actually continue their annual tradition of improving as the season goes, then other teams in the league should start taking note.

spurs1990
01-17-2011, 03:10 PM
What's even more amazing is that the Spurs are now one of only seven teams since the 1978 merger that have won 35 or more games at the midway point!

I like to see 68-14 as the final record, but more likely 63-66 since they may be far ahead in the home court race, allowing Pop to rest his players.

Sean Cagney
01-17-2011, 03:58 PM
This hasn't been as remarkable as the last 2 great runs I remember from the Mavericks after starting horrible and just couldn't lose a game, and the Celtics... meshing in their first year.. but that's probably because I'm a fan and I expect the wins... I sure hope they only continue to get better.

Pistons after we beat them came out ON FIRE as well in 06, they looked unbeatable as well that year to say the least. Only one team mentioned here actually won a title though so :violin

Yep, they were banged up last year with injuries and still won 50 games and came on strong late, how the hell could they get worse if healthy? I would love to have put 1000 on that over under now that I think of it.

Bruno
01-17-2011, 04:32 PM
A 35-6 record is plain sick. And it's not like Spurs have this record because of an easy schedule. Spurs have played more games at home (24) but their strength of schedule is fine (.518).

The best about this record is that it isn't the result of overplaying some players. Parker is the player that played the most and he is only 70th in the NBA in mpg. Scary...

Leetonidas
01-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Honestly, I expected the Spurs to come out like beasts this year but I didn't think they'd be on pace for 70 wins at the halfway point of the season. :wow

It's funny how I told a lot of posters on realgm how we were gonna wreck shit this season during the summer and no one believed me

ChuckD
01-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Be real. Even the most ardent Spurs fan was thinking 55 wins this year was being fairly optimistic. I remember at the start of the season, we got on a roll and a lot of vet Spurs fans were trying to downplay it and say we would cool off and still only win about 50 games.

50 is still over 48 isn't it? Wouldn't you have won that bet?

ChuckD
01-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Do we stand a chance on breaking our franchise record of 63 wins set back in the failure of a 2006 season?

Oh, hell yeah, barring any injuries. We're at the 41 game mark,and their record is 35-6. They could go 29-12 over the last 41, a sharp dropoff of their current play, and finish at 64 wins, breaking the mark. My prediction is still 66 wins. They could win more, but I think if they are still playing at that rate, the top seed would be locked in, and Pop would shut it down and rest players towards the end.

Cry Havoc
01-17-2011, 05:17 PM
50 is still over 48 isn't it? Wouldn't you have won that bet?

50 is a far cry from the 70 they're presently on pace to win.

FromWayDowntown
01-17-2011, 05:27 PM
To get to 60 wins, the Spurs only need to play at a level that would net them 50 wins over the course of an 82 game season (25-16). To get to 65 wins, they'd need to play at a 60 win pace over the 2nd half (30-11).

What's helpful to either of those is the fact that, in terms of opponents' winning percentages, the Strength of Schedule the rest of the way is .489 -- in the West, only Dallas (.469) and Oklahoma City (.481) have "easier" closing schedules the rest of the way. While they still face 3 with the Lakers, 2 with the Heat, and 2 with Utah (along with 24 road games in the next 41), 23 of the remaining 41 are against teams currently under .500. But a big number of those 23 are against teams that are under .350 -- the Spurs have only played 2 games all season against the bottom 5 in the East and have 3 games remaining with Sacramento.

Pero
01-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Pistons after we beat them came out ON FIRE as well in 06, they looked unbeatable as well that year to say the least. Only one team mentioned here actually won a title though so :violin

Uh the Heat won the championship in 2006...

ChuckD
01-17-2011, 05:44 PM
50 is a far cry from the 70 they're presently on pace to win.

You're missing my point completely. You can make money betting on the Spurs. It doesn't matter HOW much they short sold us, just that they did. Both 50 AND 70 are wins if you took the "over".

Spurs Brazil
01-17-2011, 06:00 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN

George Hill getting greedy w/Spurs' 35-5 start: "We could be better than that. We gave up a couple." #spurs

jimo2305
01-17-2011, 06:02 PM
i get what chuck's sayin'..

if anyone actually took the under..they woulda won more lol

Brutalis
01-17-2011, 06:03 PM
If we don't get to 72 wins consider this season FAIL and a complete debacle.

DPG21920
01-17-2011, 06:06 PM
A 35-6 record is plain sick. And it's not like Spurs have this record because of an easy schedule. Spurs have played more games at home (24) but their strength of schedule is fine (.518).

The best about this record is that it isn't the result of overplaying some players. Parker is the player that played the most and he is only 70th in the NBA in mpg. Scary...

I have said this numerous times and I am stunned at why more people aren't talking about it.

The record is amazing, but becomes even more incredible when you look at the limited minutes for the best players. No other team plays their best players as little as the Spurs do.

I don't know how they can win so many games playing their best players so few minutes.

Dex
01-17-2011, 06:14 PM
And with Dallas losing to the Pistons this afternoon (:lmao), the Spurs are now an astonishing 8.5 games ahead of the Mavericks for the division, and have at least tied the season series with them.

The Spurs definitely have a bit of a cushion, but they better not start coasting. They are in control of their own destiny at the moment; a far cry from last season where all they could do was scrap for wins and hope to keep up.

spurs1990
01-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Uh the Heat won the championship in 2006...

Curious how the Pistons lost to Miami that year.

Anyone watched that series? Was it the same officiating that cost the Spurs against Dallas?

I mean the NBA surely didn't want a rematch of the lowest-watched Finals in NBA history.

BlairForceDejuan
01-17-2011, 07:41 PM
It's been a great run, but let's keep it real. The Spurs have received huge breaks with opponents injuries and have played heavy home schedule up to now.

Unless they beat/tie the Bulls, reg season record is completely meaningless. No one cares the Mavs won 67 games. It does make every game 2x as exciting to watch though, I love it.

BlairForceDejuan
01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
That's going to be so sick if the Spurs can lock HCA with lots of games to go. Big 3 being fully rested?

gg NBA

Seventyniner
01-17-2011, 10:06 PM
It's been a great run, but let's keep it real. The Spurs have received huge breaks with opponents injuries and have played heavy home schedule up to now.

Unless they beat/tie the Bulls, reg season record is completely meaningless. No one cares the Mavs won 67 games. It does make every game 2x as exciting to watch though, I love it.

+1 to all of this. I'm going to enjoy every minute of this regular season, it being the best one in franchise history so far.

I just hope the Spurs' health holds up, and the Spurs have been quite lucky in that department.

Spursmania
01-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Do we stand a chance on breaking our franchise record of 63 wins set back in the failure of a 2006 season?

That 2006 season still breaks my heart. The never ending image of the Manu foul on Dirk...:ihit

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
01-18-2011, 05:55 AM
Who cares as long as they're healthy. It's gonna get good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Em-City
01-18-2011, 06:15 AM
i don't want to count my chickens, but i'm so excited for playoffs...

howbouthemspurs
01-18-2011, 11:29 AM
I really believe that the Spurs have a great shot at breaking the Bulls record for wins in a season

jimo2305
01-18-2011, 12:18 PM
just reminds one how dominant those bulls were back then.. i get irritated when ppl today especially the younger ones try to discredit mj and the bulls back then and favor kobe instead lol.. im like.. 'it's pretty obvious u were in diapers when jordan reigned' :lol

hater
01-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Curious how the Pistons lost to Miami that year.

Anyone watched that series? Was it the same officiating that cost the Spurs against Dallas?

I mean the NBA surely didn't want a rematch of the lowest-watched Finals in NBA history.

they Pistons ran out of gas plain and simple.

they had a 7 game series vs. cavs and played Miami dog tired.

similar to what happened to Spurs in 2008

Cry Havoc
01-18-2011, 01:21 PM
You're missing my point completely. You can make money betting on the Spurs. It doesn't matter HOW much they short sold us, just that they did. Both 50 AND 70 are wins if you took the "over".

No, I got your point. I'm just saying that this season has exceeded all of our expectations, so far.

phxspurfan
01-18-2011, 02:52 PM
If we don't get to 72 wins consider this season FAIL and a complete debacle.

:lol