PDA

View Full Version : May 27, 2003

SPARKY
05-29-2005, 10:00 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/specials/spurschamps/slideshows/spursmavericksgame5/images/11jl18.jpg

May 27, 2003

Dallas 103, San Antonio 91
Miracle Mavs Pull Off Stunning Victory

SAN ANTONIO, May 27 (Ticker) -- With nothing to lose, the Dallas Mavericks figured they would try some defense.

Using constantly changing defensive schemes and an inspirational performance from Michael Finley, the Mavericks somehow stayed alive in the Western Conference Finals with a 103-91 Game 5 victory over the stunned San Antonio Spurs.

The Spurs-Nets rhetoric will have to wait at least two more days. Dallas closed to 3-2 with the fourth road win in the series and has Game 6 on its home floor Thursday.

Perhaps Mavs All-Star forward Dirk Nowitzki will be ready by then. Nowitzki went down with a sprained left knee late in Game 3 and was expected to miss at least 10 days.

"I would say we should call him doubtful," Mavs coach Don Nelson said. "The longer the series goes, the better chance he could play."

"If you have half a brain, you realize how important a game like this is," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, whose team will be looking for its third straight Game 6 road win.

Finley, who has become somewhat obscured by the star power of Nowitzki and All-Star guard Steve Nash, scored 15 of his 31 points in the third quarter, when the Mavs began their march back from a 17-point deficit.

"That's my role on this team," Finley said. "My stats might not be as good as they were a couple years ago (but) I still feel that I'm the leader of this team. Vocally, I may not be as expressive as some leaders are, but by example I think I can lead this team and they feed off of that."

In a terrific all-around game, Finley made 9-of-14 shots and 12-of-12 free throws. He also set a tone of toughness that his fellow Mavs followed with eight rebounds and five steals, both team highs.

But the key was Nelson's defense. Hiding his team's shortcomings -- height-wise and otherwise -- Nelson used an array of zones and switching man-to-man schemes that smothered Tim Duncan and put the pressure on his teammates to makes shots. They didn't.

"We couldn't seem to stop them man-to-man, so we went to zone and looked more effective," Nelson said. "In the fourth quarter, we stayed with it instead of going back to man-to-man."

"We've zoned them in previous games, but not as successfully," Finley said. "We weren't aggressive enough and seemed to relax a little. You can't do that against the league MVP. Tonight, we were more aggressive in our traps and our rotation."

The Spurs scored just one basket -- a dunk by Duncan off a great save by David Robinson -- in the first 9½ minutes of the fourth quarter. During that stretch, they watched an 81-74 advantage evaporate and become a 97-86 deficit.

"It sorta looked like we thought somebody was going to give us something," Popovich said. "That lack of maturity hurt us."

Duncan had 23 points, 15 rebounds and six assists but got very little help in the second half. The Spurs scored just 10 points in the fourth quarter.

"They dropped back into that zone," Duncan said. "You miss a couple of shots and they start to come back. You try to make it up in hurry."

"We see everything that you can see on Tim," Spurs forward Malik Rose said. "Maybe the timing and how hard they did it was a bit different. They really came at him hard in the fourth quarter and were not going to let him beat them."

Nick Van Exel scored 21 points and Nash added 14 for the Mavs, who made all 23 of their free throws and actually held a 42-38 edge on the boards, where they have been pounded all series.

"They never really put us away," Van Exel said. "They had lots of chances to put the nail in the coffin, but they never did."

In the first half, the Mavs looked as if they were holding the nail steady for the Spurs. They trailed 30-23 after one period and 44-25 early in the second quarter after the San Antonio put together a 12-0 run.

Dallas was so desperate it again began intentionally fouling Bruce Bowen, who again made them pay by sinking 4-of-6 free throws. In the series, the Mavs have hacked Bowen 10 times. The 40 percent foul shooter has made 14-of-20 free throws, while Dallas has scored on just one of the ensuing possessions.

"It's a ploy," Nelson said. "I thought he was shooting well -- even the two he missed, he shot well. It was a ploy I thought was useful at the time, because anything was better than what was happening."

But the change in tempo seemed to get the Spurs off their game. They made just one basket in the last six minutes of the first half, settling for a 58-47 lead -- which they rebuilt to 66-49 on consecutive baskets by Duncan early in the third period.

That's when Finley got going, and soon after his teammates got into the act. His 3-pointer made it 72-64 with 4:47 left, and two free throws by Eduardo Najera inched the Mavs within 78-72 with 1:12 to go.

"When their turns came, they were anxious to make something happen," Finley said. "They brought it home in the fourth quarter."

Nash made a clock-beating, running floater in the lane over Duncan and a 3-pointer in a 9-2 spurt that opened the final period and tied the game. A dunk by Najera at the 7:33 mark gave the Mavs their first lead at 85-84, and they never gave it back.

Van Exel made a runner and 3-pointer around Duncan's dunk, and Nash made another improbable shot, this time stepping back for a rainbow jumper and a 92-86 lead with 4:26 left.

Van Exel made two free throws, then dove to steal the inbounds pass and drew a foul while shooting an alleged 3-pointer. Three more from the line made it 97-86 with 2:32 to go and sent most of the SBC Center crowd of 18,797 heading for the exits.

Walt Williams had 12 points and eight boards and Najera added 11 and eight for Dallas, which shot 43 percent (36-of-83).

Stephen Jackson scored 20 points, Rose added 14 and Bowen 12 for the Spurs, who shot 44 percent (31-of-70). Tony Parker, who had been averaging nearly 23 points per game in the series, managed just seven.

"Coming into the second half, I took it upon myself defending Parker when he tries to be more aggressive," Finley said. "I wanted to pick him up full court and make him go against me more 1-on-1 and take them out of their flow."

E20
05-29-2005, 10:01 PM
He is saying that the Spurs are going to lose.

T Park
05-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Nice negative post.

SPARKY
05-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Those who forget...

ShoogarBear
05-29-2005, 10:06 PM
This was the worst playoff loss in Spurs history.

Not the biggest, but given the stakes, the injury situation of the Mavs, and how they lost it, it was the worst effort ever.

Solid D
05-29-2005, 10:08 PM
I do have some good news...I just saved 15% on my car insurance with Geico-Flac.

T Park
05-29-2005, 10:09 PM
it was the worst effort ever.

worst 4th quarter effort.

They had like a 17 point lead going into the 4th.

SPARKY
05-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Spurs need to take care of business tomorrow. Hopefully they haven't decided that this series has ended already, unlike some here. There's no need to give the Suns any life past tomorrow night.

Hope...is a dangerous thing.

T Park
05-29-2005, 10:10 PM
^ EXACTLY!!!!!

Thats what I said last night. The Spurs need to have a KILL THEM instinct tommarow night and not expect Phoenix to roll over.

KILL THEM NOW!!!!

beirmeistr
05-29-2005, 11:47 PM
I do have some good news...I just saved 15% on my car insurance with Geico-Flac.
That is funny.

Spurodamus
05-30-2005, 09:16 AM
http://members.aol.com/blackrose3000/images/negrodamus.jpg

The San Antonio Spurs never fail to make things...interesting.

SPARKY
05-30-2005, 10:32 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050531/capt.saa12605310248.suns_spurs_saa126.jpg

May 30, 2005

Phoenix 111, San Antonio 106

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Even if the Phoenix Suns don't come all the way back and make the NBA Finals, they're guaranteed of having at least one good memory from the Western Conference finals.

No, make that a great one.

Finally getting out on the fast break and doing a better job on defense, the Suns showed a never-quit spirit from start to finish -- especially the finish -- to beat the San Antonio Spurs 111-106 Monday night and prevent being swept in four games.

Amare Stoudemire was far better than his statistics (31 points, five rebounds) showed, making a series of big plays down the stretch. He held Tim Duncan to just 15 points, only four in the second half, and leaped above the rim to block his dunk attempt with 36 seconds left that would have brought San Antonio within two points.

Phoenix went up by 12, its biggest lead of the series, midway through the third quarter and never gave it up, despite the Spurs doing their best to pull off their third fourth-quarter comeback of the series. San Antonio made it 102-101 on a 3-pointer by Robert Horry and 107-106 on a 3 by Bruce Bowen with 1:03 left but the Suns refused to go down.

Game 5 of the best-of-seven series is Wednesday night at Phoenix.