PDA

View Full Version : Doug Gottlieb: Slighting the Spurs

tmtcsc
01-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Doug Gottlieb epitomizes everything bad with ESPN. In a very familiar, ignorant shpeel, the jackass ranted that the Spurs' success has been tainted by the fact that they had an easy road to their championships.

1. They won their first title in a strike shortened season.

2. They never had to go through a Shaq-Kobe-Phil Jackson coached team.

Just plain ignorant. He used the Spurs as an example twice before going to a commercial break. Someone with some knowledge of basketball reminded him of the Spurs ending the Lakers 3peat and all he says is: (In a very low tone) "Correction, the Spurs beat the Lakers....NOW, MY POINT BEING THAT TEAMS THAT DON'T BEAT THE BETTER TEAMS ON THEIR WAY TO WINNING A TITLE" blah blah blah.....

And to think, I switched the radio station over from Dan Patrick's gawd awful show to listen to that crap. Lesson learned. Just take a quiet shower.

birdy219
01-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Ignore him. He hates the Spurs.

dbreiden83080
01-17-2011, 01:08 PM
And ESPN pays him for such stupidity

Oh what am i saying this is the same network that used to employ this fuckin tool...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3BaJMgGKAmE/Sfn9RupUOGI/AAAAAAAAKHg/Z9i3CMaONfI/s400/stephen+a.bmp

tmtcsc
01-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Yeah. I seemed to get burned every time I give those jokers a listen. I had to switch from ESPN to Channel 5 last night for the game. The video quality is better on ESPN but the announcers were awful.

P.S. Thankfully, Screamin A Smith is off Fox Sports radio. That dude is unlistenable.

K-State Spur
01-17-2011, 01:26 PM
I actually like Gottlieb, but he'll never admit he is wrong in the moment. He will often come back a week later when it's no longer fresh in anybody's mind to admit stupidity, but if you call him out on the spot, he digs in and gets stupid.

Much better college "analyst" anyways.

FromWayDowntown
01-17-2011, 01:42 PM
The 2005 Detroit Pistons say "Hello, Doug Gottlieb."

jestersmash
01-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Doug Gottlieb? Never heard of him.

Next....

Vic Petro
01-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Gottlieb has been a shithead since he was in college.

DJ Mbenga
01-17-2011, 06:04 PM
he got you to listen. this is why people have wild opinons in radio

Russ
01-17-2011, 06:19 PM

Did he really say that?

I was there at the "Crying Game" in '03 when the Spurs ended Shaq, Kobe and Phil's hopes for a "fourpeat."

See below.

703 Spurz
01-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Doug Gottlieb epitomizes everything bad with ESPN. In a very familiar, ignorant shpeel, the jackass ranted that the Spurs' success has been tainted by the fact that they had an easy road to their championships.

Just plain ignorant. He used the Spurs as an example twice before going to a commercial break. Someone with some knowledge of basketball reminded him of the Spurs ending the Lakers 3peat and all he says is: (In a very low tone) "Correction, the Spurs beat the Lakers....NOW, MY POINT BEING THAT TEAMS THAT DON'T BEAT THE BETTER TEAMS ON THEIR WAY TO WINNING A TITLE" blah blah blah.....

And to think, I switched the radio station over from Dan Patrick's gawd awful show to listen to that crap. Lesson learned. Just take a quiet shower.

Would you really feel that much better if this guy had good things to say about the Spurs? Who really gives a shit anyway, good or bad?

tmtcsc
01-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I care if he says something untrue about my favorite team. I take pride in being a Spurs fan.

I don't need to hear nice things, the Rings speak for themselves, but to blatantly spew out ignorance and taint their success gets on my nerves. It was more annoying than anything.

To all the channel nazi's out there: Yes, I changed it because he didn't deserve my attention anymore.

tmtcsc
01-17-2011, 08:22 PM
he got you to listen. this is why people have wild opinons in radio

Actually, he didn't. I tuned in for Cowherd during a commercial break, stepped into the shower and heard Gottlieb. I wasnt going to stop my shower short just to change the channel. He certainly got me to react if that's what you meant.

John

Udokafan05
01-17-2011, 08:34 PM
The Dan Patrick show is great, easily the best out there. Fritzy's headlines alone make it better than the others

DMX7
01-17-2011, 08:45 PM
lol, dumb.

hsxvvd
01-17-2011, 09:03 PM
02-03 Spurs beat Lakers (with Shaq & Kobe) 4-2 in the Conference Finals and DID go on to win the Championship.

Is he saying that the 03' Lakers team was NOT a "Better team".

Ok... I agree.

Kermit
01-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Doug tried to pay for free-throw lessons, his credit card was stolen.

tmtcsc
01-18-2011, 12:38 AM
02-03 Spurs beat Lakers (with Shaq & Kobe) 4-2 in the Conference Finals and DID go on to win the Championship.

Is he saying that the 03' Lakers team was NOT a "Better team".

Ok... I agree.

? The point he was trying to make is that teams that have an easy path to the Championship aren't remembered as much as the teams that had a tougher path.

Apparently, the Spurs had an easy time winning 4 :lobt2: and weren't forced to beat the best to become the best. Forget the 3 peat Lakers, forget the Defending Champion Pistons and apparently sidestep the fact that we SWEPT a hot Lebron team that strangled the Pistons. The first Championship was an almost historic run through the playoffs where we SWEPT the Lakers and Portland and only took 5 games to beat the Knicks.

No biggie.

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
01-18-2011, 05:49 AM
Thats the shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mathbzh
01-18-2011, 05:56 AM
No NBA team had to go through the great Panathinaikos... NBA is a joke :hat

hsxvvd
01-18-2011, 06:18 AM
? The point he was trying to make is that teams that have an easy path to the Championship aren't remembered as much as the teams that had a tougher path.

If that is the case the 96' 97' & 98' Bulls teams should be completely forgotton by now.

Sec24Row7
01-18-2011, 09:35 AM
They use circular logic. They only have one constant in their equation.

"The spurs aren't very good"

Obviously since the spurs aren't very good, then when they beat the Mavericks, a media darling Suns team, the 3-peat lakers, or the defending champion pistons it must mean that THOSE teams aren't very good because the spurs aren't very good.

If everyone the SPURS beat isn't very good, then they have the easiest rout to championships...

howbouthemspurs
01-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Never heard of him... but he does sound retarded.

ambchang
01-18-2011, 12:09 PM
The Spurs suck, and therefore the teams the Spurs beat to any championships suck even worse. This means that the 05 Pistons, 03 Mavs, 03 Lakers, 99 Lakers, 99 Blazers, 05 Suns, and 07 Suns were one of the worse contenders.

On the other hand, championship teams have to beat good teams to win championships in order to be remembered. Since we have established all Spurs competition were one of the worse contenders in the history of the league, it shows that the Spurs are not worthy championship teams, proving the Spurs suck.

Mark in Austin
01-18-2011, 12:25 PM
who the fuck is doug gottlieb and why should we care?

Horse
01-18-2011, 01:30 PM
You would think the stupid fucking retard would do some research. And once and for all can someone tell me why 99 is tainted when every team played an equal amount of games the same rules same everything. How the fuck is it tainted when every team had an equal chance to win?

Mel_13
01-18-2011, 01:32 PM
You would think the stupid fucking retard would do some research. And once and for all can someone tell me why 99 is tainted when every team played an equal amount of games the same rules same everything. How the fuck is it tainted when every team had an equal chance to win?

Because Phil said so.

Whisky Dog
01-18-2011, 02:05 PM
He's ok calling college basketball games for non OK St games, but for anything else he's worthless. I think it's the smug look on his face on tv that really gives people the "I want to punch him in the pussy" reaction.

spur2themax
01-18-2011, 03:25 PM

Isn't that what makes them the BEST team out there...the fact that they don't have to beat any BETTER teams because there is, by definition, NO BETTER TEAM to beat???

tmtcsc
01-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Isn't that what makes them the BEST team out there...the fact that they don't have to beat any BETTER teams because there is, by definition, NO BETTER TEAM to beat???

"Better" should be replaced by "tougher" or Championship caliber teams. We caught a break when the Mavs got knocked out by the Warriors for instance in 2007. However, that's not to say that we wouldn't have beat them anyways.

GrandeDavid
01-18-2011, 05:43 PM
4 championships. The trophies, rings and festivities weren't figments of Gottlieb's imagination. They actually happened. That says it all.

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2011, 05:47 PM

Doug's a smart man :tu

LoneStarState'sPride
01-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Well, shit, guess that actually WASN'T kobe bryant bawling his eyes out on the bench in '03.

My bad, Doug. My bad.

awktalk
01-19-2011, 01:10 AM
who the fuck is doug gottlieb and why should we care?

This is Doug Gottlieb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Gottlieb). Someone who never played a minute in the NBA.

After signing a national letter of intent with Notre Dame, Gottlieb was their starting point guard during the 1995-1996 college basketball season, starting all but four games. During Gottlieb's freshman year at Notre Dame, he stole credit cards from a roommate and fraudulently charged over $900 to those cards; subsequently, he was expelled from the team and eventually convicted of misdemeanour fraud. Gottlieb then earned an Associate of Arts in business at Golden West College.

greyforest
01-19-2011, 01:49 AM
spurs are in the western conference. the only teams with EASY paths to the finals ARE ALWAYS IN THE EASTERN CONFERENCE jackasses.

the 7th and 8th seeds in the east are WELL below .500 and probably have been for the last decade.

TampaDude
01-19-2011, 02:40 PM
After signing a national letter of intent with Notre Dame, Gottlieb was their starting point guard during the 1995-1996 college basketball season, starting all but four games. During Gottlieb's freshman year at Notre Dame, he stole credit cards from a roommate and fraudulently charged over $900 to those cards; subsequently, he was expelled from the team and eventually convicted of misdemeanour fraud. Gottlieb then earned an Associate of Arts in business at Golden West College.

:lmao