PDA

View Full Version : Manu has another gear, and so do the Spurs

mingus
01-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Last night Ginobili took a lot of threes. i'm not quite sure how many, but i know it was at least 5. Anyway, this has been a theme all season, as he is shooting significantly more threes than in prior seasons.

This has fueled some discussion and debate. One side says it's him saving his energy and his body for the playoffs, when he will then drive the ball and basically not jack up so many threes. Until recently (the last few games), i was on the other side of the argument. I believed that he didn't have it in him anymore to drive the ball with the same effectiveness as before, and that's why he was taking so many threes. That he was older and slower and he wasn't able to do it anymore.

I'm seeing things a little differently now though. Last night, as in the last handful of games or so he has been able to get to the rim with ease. He's made a conscious decision to start to drive more for whatever reason. Last night he had some trouble finishing, but that was only because he hasn't been near the rim much this season and i think is still trying to get his touch back near the rim. i'm confident he'll get that tough back, too.

Whatever the reason for his decision to drive more, it points out a scary truth the haters saying the Spurs have peaked already: Ginobili has another gear and it follows that the Spurs do as well.

alright that was my best mike monroe impression.

Bartleby
01-17-2011, 02:52 PM
I remember the announcer saying he leads the league in 3PTA.

He's saving himself.

ALVAREZ6
01-17-2011, 04:19 PM
which gear is pop is???

wontstartdumbthreads
01-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Tim Duncan has 3 higher gears, Manu 2-3, and Tony 1-2 IMO.

We'll likely see one higher gear from Manu before the regular season is done, likely in March.

I think the rest of the Spurs are playing in their appropriate gear except for possibly McDyess which may have one higher gear as well.

Nice analysis.

Waps1980
01-17-2011, 04:53 PM
I think a few of the players have more to give.
TP - No he is playing unreal right now.
Manu - Yes he can start driving more and with that will come more open shots for him too
Timmy - He's just coasting along, March is his time to gear up, and I'll add his jump shot is looking friggin excellent right now, last seaon he lost his touch on the jump shot.
Blair - I think he is near the top of his game, depending who we play to if he puts up solid number.
RJ - With the starting 5 we currently have he is playing the best he can although some more powerful cuts and finishes would be great to see. If we have an injury to Manu or TP RJs scoring will pick up as he will get more chances, this is the beauty of our team right now.
Hill - Still finding his shot and not looking explosive like I have seen him in the past. I'm sure this will come back soon.
Dice - He will stand and be counted when the time is right, he looks great in his limited minutes.

Bonner, Neal - I think they are playing the best we could ask of them.

Anderson - Another factor to strengthen the bench.