koriwhat
01-17-2011, 11:04 PM
good.

BlackSwordsMan
01-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Yeah the old man needs his rest

ChuckD
01-17-2011, 11:06 PM
If the coaches don't select him, Stern will probably name him as the Yao injury roster replacement.

Tp9gospursgo
01-17-2011, 11:07 PM
I personally wont mind him resting was just a lil surprised.

TD 21
01-17-2011, 11:11 PM
He'll easily be selected by the coaches. He's the second best center in the league and there's no other legit candidate for backup center in the West.

DesignatedT
01-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Not surprising that he isn't going to start. The coaches will definitely put him on the team though.

timtonymanu
01-17-2011, 11:32 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Tim doesn't even make the All-Star game. By stats, he's not having an all-star year and I think Love and Griffin are more deserving right now. However, I think Griffin might be snubbed in favor of Timmy.

Yao being the West center's leader is helping Tim. Also Melo may be in the East soon.

Yao (free spot)-Durant-Melo (might be an opening)-Kobe-Paul

Manu-Westbrook-Dirk-Gasol-Love-Griffin-Williams-Duncan

Amuseddaysleeper
01-17-2011, 11:34 PM
I can't see Griffin getting snubbed, would be shocked.

timtonymanu
01-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Also Rapper is gonna be pissed.

DesignatedT
01-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Duncan should make it because of Yao and Melo being in the east hopefully.

TD 21
01-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Based on the how the standards for this have always been, Duncan is easily more deserving than Griffin and Love. Also, he's a center, while they're both power forwards. With the exception of Gasol, the West has no one else to play center, which only makes the decision easier.

Why is this even being debated? How many past their prime players have made it based more on reputation than anything? Yet the one time Duncan is about to make it, despite his stats not being All-Star caliber, now people have an issue. Even though, as I alluded to, he should easily make it on merit. But even if he shouldn't and it was more based on reputation, who cares? We're talking about one of the ten best players of all-time. He can't get afforded that respect even once, but punks like Garnett can get it year after year and no one says a damn thing? I don't get it.

Love has no chance. Griffin has a chance because his team is surging, but based on how the standards have always been, neither should make it. The last rookie to be selected by the coaches was Duncan in '98. Not even James was selected, but Griffin is going to be on a non playoff team? Hype is (almost) everything today, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's overlooked and he get's in.

How can the Spurs be denied three All-Stars, though? The Pistons had four in '06, when they had an insane start. Like Duncan, Ginobili and Parker are deserving based on merit, but even if it was debatable, this should a career achievement award of sorts for the Spurs. They've owned this season to this point, they've had one or both of them snubbed multiple times and it's time they finally get the respect they've deserved for years. Three All-Stars should be a given. Yet because of the West being loaded at the point and thin on the wings and bigs, there's a very real chance that Parker won't make it.

crc21209
01-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Sooo what? :lol The final results havent even been announced yet. Although it is highly unlikely he gets voted in as a starter, the voting isnt even over yet. And the coaches still have to vote for the subs...

itzsoweezee
01-18-2011, 12:51 AM
:wow via my project Spurs app

your project Spurs app obviously sucks. voting's not even closed yet.

SequSpur
01-18-2011, 12:58 AM

usdane
01-18-2011, 03:10 AM
So now all when there is too many PF's better than Duncan he conveniently is a Center.:lmao

Does this mean he is not the 2nd best PF ever? But a top 10-15 center now.

Tp9gospursgo
01-18-2011, 04:09 AM
your project Spurs app obviously sucks. voting's not even closed yet.

Don't be such a dick.

mathbzh
01-18-2011, 04:46 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Tim doesn't even make the All-Star game. By stats, he's not having an all-star year and I think Love and Griffin are more deserving right now. However, I think Griffin might be snubbed in favor of Timmy.

Yao being the West center's leader is helping Tim. Also Melo may be in the East soon.

Yao (free spot)-Durant-Melo (might be an opening)-Kobe-Paul

Manu-Westbrook-Dirk-Gasol-Love-Griffin-Williams-Duncan

Only one spot for a 35-6 team?
The clippers have been playing better lately so I am ok with Griffin being an All Star... But Love? The 10 wins wolves?

The Spurs deserve two players in. Manu is the obvious first but with his credential, some solid if not stellar statistics (as of now he is ranked 21 in PER) and his impact on defense Duncan should be chosen by the coaches.

DMC
01-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Don't be such a dick.
You're asking him to never post again?

DMC
01-18-2011, 09:57 AM
I think it's great if no Spurs go to the AS game. Sure some other teams' fans will use it as a mini-championship, but it will underscore the obvious fact that fan voting needs to be weighted differently if the league ever wants to showcase their talent, and move away from just another extension of the dunk contest.

Old School 44
01-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Griffin's a lock one way or another. The game's in LA.

Mel_13
01-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Tim, Tony, and Manu all belong in the game, but it really doesn't matter. Just as soon see them take the weekend off. Looks like Pop has no way out.

Fireball
01-18-2011, 10:58 AM
This will be a awesome All-Star game ... Pop will play Kobe, Gasol (and perhaps Odom) for the full 48 minutes :lmao

bigfan
01-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Just shows how the vote is screwed up, it shouldnt have so much fan input stuffing the ballot boxes. That said, Im sure TD could give a damn and frankly Im glad hes getting more rest.

Ace
01-18-2011, 11:32 AM
In the West there's plenty of PFs much more deserving than Duncan and since he wants to be labeled as a PF than he shouldn't be put in as center because it's the only he makes it.

Mel_13
01-18-2011, 11:50 AM
In the West there's plenty of PFs much more deserving than Duncan and since he wants to be labeled as a PF than he shouldn't be put in as center because it's the only he makes it.

No, it's not.

Ace
01-18-2011, 11:57 AM
No, it's not.

Aldridge, Love, Dirk, Griffin and even Randolph.

Mel_13
01-18-2011, 11:59 AM

You said being voted in as a center was the only way he could make it, it's not.

coyotes_geek
01-18-2011, 12:10 PM
No way the coaches break Duncan's AS streak in a year where his team is on pace for 70 wins.

jimo2305
01-18-2011, 12:14 PM
meh i don't care about duncan's allstar streak / him missing the allstar game if he comes to that..

first.. coaches will vote him in or he'll replace yao so im sure he's gonna be in it..

second.. the allstar spot doesn't hold as much merit as it did back in the 90's.. nowadays it's more like a popularity contest.. so it's a joke to me now..

third.. i'd be more upset if i don't see parker and / or manu in the allstar game neither.. it's blatant hypocrisy for a team to have the best record in the league yet not one all star player..

hater
01-18-2011, 12:17 PM
many spursfan in denial up in here.

Duncan does not deserve allstar this season. wake up.

coyotes_geek
01-18-2011, 12:19 PM
many spursfan in denial up in here.

Duncan does not deserve allstar this season. wake up.

I'm not saying he deserves it, just that he's going to get it.

BlairForceDejuan
01-18-2011, 12:21 PM
When Timmy D retires, you all better not add "15 time all-star" or whatever to the end of his legacy. If Duncan makes it over Love or Griffen, the all-star nod is obviously meaningless.

Mel_13
01-18-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm not saying he deserves it, just that he's going to get it.

Exactly.

It's not as if the 12 best players in each conference (or the 12 players having the best first half of the season) comprise the All-Star teams each year.

vy65
01-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Why would you even want to see him in the game? It's not like his style of play now is suited for an ASG?

He'd probably only play 5 min tops so isn't this all kinda pointless anyway?

Spurs Brazil
01-18-2011, 12:34 PM
No way the coaches break Duncan's AS streak in a year where his team is on pace for 70 wins.

Agree, he'll be there

in2deep
01-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Why would you even want to see him in the game? It's not like his style of play now is suited for an ASG?

He'd probably only play 5 min tops so isn't this all kinda pointless anyway?

good point. It'd be kinda awkward to see Timmy dragging himself out there. while guys like Griffin would be doing monster dunks after monster dunks. It's the allstar, let the kids play.

jimo2305
01-18-2011, 12:38 PM
good point. It'd be kinda awkward to see Timmy dragging himself out there. while guys like Griffin would be doing monster dunks after monster dunks. It's the allstar, let the kids play.

Dr4i8h6zuOA
heh..

in2deep
01-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Dr4i8h6zuOA
heh..

1 dunk in 41 games vs. how many dunks from Griffin????

heh....

mathbzh
01-18-2011, 12:43 PM

Not that I disagree, but the 4 Pistons in 2006 where not exactly flashy.

in2deep
01-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Not that I disagree, but the 4 Pistons in 2006 where not exactly flashy.

the 4 pistons were playing at allstar level. Timmy is not.

wontstartdumbthreads
01-18-2011, 12:47 PM
When Timmy D retires, you all better not add "15 time all-star" or whatever to the end of his legacy. If Duncan makes it over Love or Griffen, the all-star nod is obviously meaningless.

Fuck that. If he goes, he's an allstar. No one is going to look back and analyze this in 20 years and say, "yeah, but he wasn't as good as Blake in 2010 so I'm not counting that one".

For as much as he has been underappreicated at times, he deserves every accolade he gets. So in the future, someone who never saw him play can say, "damn, he made the allstar game every season he played. he must have been pretty good."

mathbzh
01-18-2011, 12:49 PM

Seriously?
If I you swap Kevin Love and Tim Duncan until the end of the season... how many wins do you think we would have?

Mel_13
01-18-2011, 12:49 PM

Now, you're pushing it. If Timmy's stats aren't good enough for the All-Star, neither were Ben Wallace's.

in2deep
01-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Now, you're pushing it. If Timmy's stats aren't good enough for the All-Star, neither were Ben Wallace's.

check again. check the competition that Wallace was up against and come back...

jimo2305
01-18-2011, 12:53 PM
1 dunk in 41 games vs. how many dunks from Griffin????

heh....

not saying he deserves it over griffin.. but then again.. does being a dunker = an allstar player?

this is part of what i mean when i say the ASG spot isn't about how well you play but it's more so a popularity contest..
'ooh that guy can do a 360 between the legs.. let's vote him in'

the video was meant to show that duncan isn't as washed up as many of y'all make him out to be.. he's still averaging a near double double.. he's just playing a role this season.. im sure if we force fed the ball thru him more than we're doing thru parker / manu, his numbers would go up..

mathbzh
01-18-2011, 12:55 PM

He had some great stats (Edit: for a center in the East) indeed.
But not Rasheed Wallace his 15pts/6 rbds

Mel_13
01-18-2011, 12:56 PM

I checked.

I'm back.

cheguevara
01-18-2011, 12:56 PM
not saying he deserves it over griffin.. but then again.. does being a dunker = an allstar player?

this is part of what i mean when i say the ASG spot isn't about how well you play but it's more so a popularity contest..

the video was meant to show that duncan isn't as washed up as many of y'all make him out to be.. he's still averaging a near double double.. he's just playing a role this season.. im sure if we force fed the ball thru him more than we're doing thru parker / manu, his numbers would go up..

say what you may Duncan does not deserve allstar over Griffin/Love. Facts are facts.

and popularity contest is more for the allstar starters. The subs are actually selected from their play this season primarily.

coyotes_geek
01-18-2011, 01:00 PM

This year's western conference >>>>>>> 2005-2006 eastern conference.

cheguevara
01-18-2011, 01:01 PM
This year's western conference >>>>>>> 2005-2006 eastern conference.

Bingo

mathbzh
01-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Bingo

And what about the 4 Lakers in 1998?

jimo2305
01-18-2011, 01:04 PM
say what you may Duncan does not deserve allstar over Griffin/Love. Facts are facts.

and popularity contest is more for the allstar starters. The subs are actually selected from their play this season primarily.

che.. i think it's more of an opinion determine who deserves the spot or not..

if the spot is determined by facts then i guess we just have to focus on their stats and stats only..

but IMO.. i think a player who deserves to be an allstar is a player who's playing well and it shows on the stat board as well as how impactful he is to his team and the team's success.. love and griffin lose in that battle..

and to the fellas talkin' about ben wallace back then..

here's a who's - who back in that year for reference..
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2005_leaders.html

cheguevara
01-18-2011, 01:04 PM
And what about the 4 Lakers in 1998?

LOL it's silly that spursfans are bringing up allstar selections that happened years ago, but refuse to see the evidence this current year.

:downspin:

Yes, Duncan is an allstar this season and deserves it. Let's pat ourserves in the back and sing. Carry on... :rolleyes

cd98
01-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Wait.

Tim is playing like an All-Star in the minutes he's playing. So while his overall averages might not look that impressive, he's being very productive in the minutes he gets every game, especially when the offense is not running through him. He could still average 20 points if it was all about Tim and not the team. And if you definition of "All Star" is flash like Griffin, then Tim doesn't belong there and never did. Same with Ginobili and Parker, regardless of the fact that we are the most successful team in the NBA this year.

That said, its no big deal if Tim doesn't make it (even though he will) because Pop won't play Duncan more than 5 minutes (like last year when Duncan volunteered to sit on the bench and let the young players play) in the All Star game. So Tim will probably make it there to continue to bolster his legacy, but he won't play many minutes, guaranteed.

jimo2305
01-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Wait.

Tim is playing like an All-Star in the minutes he's playing. So while his overall averages might not look that impressive, he's being very productive in the minutes he gets every game, especially when the offense is not running through him. He could still average 20 points if it was all about Tim and not the team. And if you definition of "All Star" is flash like Griffin, then Tim doesn't belong there and never did. Same with Ginobili and Parker, regardless of the fact that we are the most successful team in the NBA this year.

That said, its no big deal if Tim doesn't make it (even though he will) because Pop won't play Duncan more than 5 minutes (like last year when Duncan volunteered to sit on the bench and let the young players play) in the All Star game. So Tim will probably make it there to continue to bolster his legacy, but he won't play many minutes, guaranteed.

lol that's what i'm saying..

it's not like i'm upset if he makes it or not.. i just don't believe it holds as much merit nowadays like it did in the past due to the inclusion of the fans having the popular vote of the starters..

i mean come on.. YAO MING? T-MAC?

vy65
01-18-2011, 01:08 PM

No one said Duncan is washed up. However, do you think his current style of play is suited for an ASG over Griffin? Can you find any other plays besides 1 mediocre dunk kinda over Stevenson?

Tim is still great, but not something I want to see in an ASG. Plus, I think he'd rather not deL with ASG anyway. Why do you want him there?

jimo2305
01-18-2011, 01:11 PM
No one said Duncan is washed up. However, do you think his current style of play is suited for an ASG over Griffin? Can you find any other plays besides 1 mediocre dunk kinda over Stevenson?

Tim is still great, but not something I want to see in an ASG. Plus, I think he'd rather not deL with ASG anyway. Why do you want him there?

omg.. im not saying i want him to be a starter.. i just don't agree with how allstars are decided nowadays.. i could care less if he plays or not because the ASG isn't as important nowadays because of that very reason.. and yes people have said duncan's washed up and declined all over spurstalk.. that dunk proved them wrong.. don't act like i'm trying to say duncan's flashy..

cd98
01-18-2011, 01:12 PM

Love, Griffin, and Randolph won't be in the playoffs. If they aren't good enough to get their team into the 8th seed, then they aren't all stars. And no excuses. The T'wolves, Grizzlies, and Clippers are full of lotter pick players. So while they may get tons of shots and average 20 points a game, they are not all stars, not in the sense of making their teams competitive.

And Dirk, while he is an all-star, has to lose some votes based on his injuries and his overall reputation as a choker. Duncan, given his career, should get extra consideration, just like Bird, Magic, Jordan, and the rest of the superstars got at the end of their careers.

Rummpd
01-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Duncan's PER is still borderline all star level (21.74) and he is 3rd in league as center (how Hollinger has consistently put him). Only 10 players in the West are outplaying him right now by this one way to look at value and no centers (Nene is the closest followed by Bynum)

Moreover it is not all about stats and his value to winning basketball is off the charts. That being said, honesty one could make a case against him and for 3-4 other players out West but he will most likely get the nod.

It will be kind of sad though if either Love with a 30/30 and Griffin with his 47 point game last night get left out and I would not be surprised to see the NBA expand the teams to 14 or 15 players sometime in the future.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

Old School 44
01-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Assuming we maintain the same pace, one or two of the Spurs will probably be voted in by the coaches...probably Manu and maybe Tim.

But wouldn't it be something if none made it. I actually think it would be great. To be on a record pace and have no all-stars would even be a bigger credit to our TEAM.
Besides, I'd love to see TNT's Craig Sager ask Pop during the game, "How do you feel about none of your players making the all-star roster?" Pop's one word response, "Ecstatic!"

mathbzh
01-18-2011, 02:41 PM
LOL it's silly that spursfans are bringing up allstar selections that happened years ago, but refuse to see the evidence this current year.

:downspin:

Yes, Duncan is an allstar this season and deserves it. Let's pat ourserves in the back and sing. Carry on... :rolleyes

You are the one living in denial here. Check the history (event in recent years) coaches always look at the team record when they pick the All Stars

Edit:
Personally I don't really care if he is selected. He has done enough to be considered one of the Best ever. One selection will add nothing to his legacy

Tp9gospursgo
01-18-2011, 03:46 PM
I think Griffin should be in instead of Duncan. His team isn't playing too bad as of right now. If they had played like this at the beginning of the year then they might actually make the playoffs. Duncan is like our 3rd option and he sometimes has single point games. Of course I'd love to see him in but Griffin is more deserving IMHO. Manu and Tony definitely deserve to be in it and if they don't get voted in then i'd be extremely pissed. Especially Manu..

mathbzh
01-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Especially Manu..
Manu is a lock

Silver&Black Warrior
01-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Based on the how the standards for this have always been, Duncan is easily more deserving than Griffin and Love. Also, he's a center, while they're both power forwards. With the exception of Gasol, the West has no one else to play center, which only makes the decision easier.

Why is this even being debated? How many past their prime players have made it based more on reputation than anything? Yet the one time Duncan is about to make it, despite his stats not being All-Star caliber, now people have an issue. Even though, as I alluded to, he should easily make it on merit. But even if he shouldn't and it was more based on reputation, who cares? We're talking about one of the ten best players of all-time. He can't get afforded that respect even once, but punks like Garnett can get it year after year and no one says a damn thing? I don't get it.

Love has no chance. Griffin has a chance because his team is surging, but based on how the standards have always been, neither should make it. The last rookie to be selected by the coaches was Duncan in '98. Not even James was selected, but Griffin is going to be on a non playoff team? Hype is (almost) everything today, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's overlooked and he get's in.

How can the Spurs be denied three All-Stars, though? The Pistons had four in '06, when they had an insane start. Like Duncan, Ginobili and Parker are deserving based on merit, but even if it was debatable, this should a career achievement award of sorts for the Spurs. They've owned this season to this point, they've had one or both of them snubbed multiple times and it's time they finally get the respect they've deserved for years. Three All-Stars should be a given. Yet because of the West being loaded at the point and thin on the wings and bigs, there's a very real chance that Parker won't make it.

POST OF THE YEAR. :clap :worthy: :flag:

TMTTRIO
01-19-2011, 10:39 PM
I think Timmy will get voted in. Manu's not a lock. With him struggling lately for the last month that'll hurt his chances.

Budkin
01-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Manu will be in... but this will be Timmy's first year out.

4down
01-20-2011, 12:56 AM
I think theres room for both Duncan and Griffin in the ASG - give the minutes to Griffin though, I'd rather let him throw up 720 reverse alley oop jams and Timmy can sit, watch and enjoy it without having to ice his knees afterward

frodo
01-20-2011, 01:02 AM
Tim will be selected by stern to replace the injured "shite"

DesignatedT
01-20-2011, 01:09 AM
fuck jon barry.

Sean Cagney
01-20-2011, 02:05 AM

STFU man.... Respect Tim or get outta here.

DJ Mbenga
01-20-2011, 02:25 AM
duncan shouldnt get in but he probably win. manu is a lock since roy is crippled now.

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Not that surprising......