PDA

View Full Version : In your face, UTSA

The Reckoning
01-18-2011, 10:13 AM
UT has an on-campus Taco Cabana now, so you're not the only ones. No longer will I hear about how great y'all are for having one while I'm on hold on the phone with the UTSA.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UT-Student-Activity-Center/129949177062817#!/pages/UT-Student-Activity-Center/129949177062817?v=wall

It did cost millions and millions to build despite budget cuts and raised tuition, but by God we did it.

lebomb
01-18-2011, 10:14 AM
UT has an on-campus Taco Cabana now, so you're not the only ones. No longer will I hear about how great y'all are for having one while I'm on hold on the phone with the UTSA.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UT-Student-Activity-Center/129949177062817#!/pages/UT-Student-Activity-Center/129949177062817?v=wall

It did cost millions and millions to build despite budget cuts and raised tuition, but by God we did it.

.............yeah, but do yall have a Chili's? :hat

The Reckoning
01-18-2011, 12:35 PM
spring semester numb nuts. if you went to school, you would know that.

and lebomb, no we dont have a chilis yet, but we have TWO chick-fil-a's, zen japanese food and about 20 starbucks. we also have quiznos, subway, taco bell, wendys and some barbecue place.

the point of this thread is the irony that UT cut funding from several student groups, hacked funds from the student union, fired young university staff and then went and built a multimillion dollar building called the Student Activity Center that is filled with corporate partners.

Hook 'em.

lebomb
01-18-2011, 01:05 PM
the point of this thread is the irony that UT cut funding from several student groups, hacked funds from the student union, fired young university staff and then went and built a multimillion dollar building called the Student Activity Center that is filled with corporate partners.

Hook 'em.

...............do you think the food vendors bring money into the university? Through renting the venues and the corporate sponsorship? I don't know for sure, but I would think so. *shrugs*

The Reckoning
01-18-2011, 01:16 PM
well if they did, id assume most of that money would go toward scholarships that im not eligable for (a good chunk of my tuition does that as well). private donors and businesses just want their names on shit. they dont care about students. also, polls show that the public favors budget cuts mostly on higher education. nobody gives a damn about students anymore - just whats good for their image or their bank account.

lebomb
01-18-2011, 01:17 PM
well if they did, id assume most of that money would go toward scholarships that im not eligable for (a good chunk of my tuition does that as well). private donors and businesses just want their names on shit. they dont care about students. also, polls show that the public favors budget cuts mostly on higher education. nobody gives a damn about students anymore - just whats good for their image or their bank account.

................... I concur.

ChumpDumper
01-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Wasn't there a TC like half a block from campus anyway?

The Reckoning
01-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Wasn't there a TC like half a block from campus anyway?

yeah, and a wendy's next door. and a starbucks a block away from that.

i wonder how much money the university is getting out of the deal anyway. especially students. is it really better for the students in the long run if the businesses' number one source of revenue is the students themselves? how much do the restaurants have to pay for rent, and how long will it take to offset the costs of building the new student center? what the hell is the university going to do with that money? enough microeconomics - give the money back to the students. hell, use it to decrease tuition instead of increasing it. they want a huge campus with lots of buildings named after people but want half the enrollment.

anyway, the black bean burrito is only two dollars. its huge too. what a deal.

DMX7
01-18-2011, 06:16 PM
They didn't spend millions of dollars to build the Student Activity Center just for the Taco Cabana.

The Reckoning
01-18-2011, 06:19 PM
They didn't spend millions of dollars to build the Student Activity Center just for the Taco Cabana.

jealous?

mgOXfMKFhy8

greyforest
01-18-2011, 06:29 PM
the free market has turned lots of colleges and universities in to for-profit corporations instead of learning institutions

no, it's not sustainable

Ignignokt
01-18-2011, 07:44 PM
the free market has turned lots of colleges and universities in to for-profit corporations instead of learning institutions

no, it's not sustainable

First of all, the value of a university is distorted by market distortions. When you get subsidies from govt, you don't get a true value of what your product is worth on the free market.

Don't blame shit like this on the free market when you have govt subsidizing this whole industry.