PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Gervais

JudynTX
01-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Hollywood needs to lighten up. I thought he did a great job hosting the Golden Globes. :toast

The rest of Hollywood may have had their feelings hurt by Ricky Gervis' at the Golden Globes, but Hugh Hefner (@hughhefner) tweeted that he had no hard feelings towards the host:

"The Golden Globes was a blast. They made fun of everyone, including Crystal & me. A great night."

Gervais compared Hefner to AMC's zombie TV show The Walking Dead quipping, "Talking about the walking dead, congratulations to Hugh Hefner, who is getting married at age 84 to 24-year-old beauty Crystal Harris. When asked why she was marrying him, she said, 'He lied about his age. I thought he was 94.'"

http://www.tweetsoup.com/articles/hugh-hefner-not-butt-hurt-over-ricky-gervais-jokes/31017971

:lol :lol

Soul_Patch
01-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Lol. I think he really pissed off Iron Man. He was pretty harsh. A few times i couldnt tell if the folks were really pissed or just playing it up...but i think they were probably kinda pissed.

Tinystarz
01-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Didn't see it. Lol walking dead.

JudynTX
01-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Lol. I think he really pissed off Iron Man. He was pretty harsh. A few times i couldnt tell if the folks were really pissed or just playing it up...but i think they were probably kinda pissed.

Yep, he did. :lol :lol Hollywood has turned into a bunch of whiners.

Presenter Robert Downey Jr. is one of them. When Gervais introduced him on stage, he rattled off a list of the actor's films before snipping, "But many of you in this room probably know him best from such facilities as the Betty Ford Clinic and Los Angeles County Jail."
Downey Jr later said on stage: "Aside from the fact that it's been hugely mean-spirited with mildly sinister undertones, I'd say the vibe of the show has been pretty good so far, wouldn't you?"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robert-downey-jr-calls-ricky-72511

benefactor
01-18-2011, 01:43 PM
No surpises here.

WCdK25VAhq4

JudynTX
01-18-2011, 02:20 PM
No surpises here.

WCdK25VAhq4

That was greatness.

Ricky's best line of the night was at the end..... "I'd like to thank God....pauses....."For me being an atheist"! :rollin

mrsmaalox
01-18-2011, 02:22 PM
The parts I saw, Ricky was great. The guy from the HFPA was apparently offended, according to interviews he's given since, but who cares about him? :lol I think (hope) RDjr. was playing up to it, he's never been one to take himself too seriously; why else would he, in the same breath, proceed to list the women in the room he wanted to bang? :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
01-18-2011, 02:26 PM
It was whatever it was. Seemed like he was trying a tad bit too hard though. He was practically laughing before he got the joke out.

Fpoonsie
01-18-2011, 02:31 PM
That opening monologue (just watched it) was hilarious. Gervais has quite a sack on him.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-18-2011, 02:33 PM
It's called cameras and publicity.

Fpoonsie
01-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Can't tell if RDJr was joking or not. [shrug]

Fpoonsie
01-18-2011, 02:35 PM
It's called cameras and publicity.

Yet, he's still managing to offend some of the "top H-wood brass", which can't necessarily bode well for his career.

JudynTX
01-18-2011, 02:35 PM
The parts I saw, Ricky was great. The guy from the HFPA was apparently offended, according to interviews he's given since, but who cares about him? :lol I think (hope) RDjr. was playing up to it, he's never been one to take himself too seriously; why else would he, in the same breath, proceed to list the women in the room he wanted to bang? :lol

:lol Yeah.

Has anyone seen Gervais's standup show?

Viva Las Espuelas
01-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Yet, he's still managing to offend some of the "top H-wood brass", which can't necessarily bode well for his career.eh. He'll be fine. If not, then oh well.

JudynTX
01-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Yet, he's still managing to offend some of the "top H-wood brass", which can't necessarily bode well for his career.

So he gets blacklisted for telling a few jokes? :rolleyes Come on.

Fpoonsie
01-18-2011, 02:47 PM
eh. He'll be fine. If not, then oh well.

So he gets blacklisted for telling a few jokes? :rolleyes Come on.

I'm sure he'll be ok. I mean, it's not as if he was at the top of the comedic world anways.

Just sayin. It has to take SOME amount a' stones to go into a stuffy room like that full of people LIKE THAT and start rippin them apart...

JudynTX
01-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Just sayin. It has to take SOME amount a' stones to go into a stuffy room like that full of people LIKE THAT and start rippin them apart...

He warned them. You get what you pay for. :lol

http://www.tmz.com/2011/01/18/ricky-gervais-golden-globes-host-never-host-again-video-new-york-controversy-jokes-tom-cruise-scientology-gay/

Gotta watch it again. :lmao

BvHXzP2SpLA

Slomo
01-18-2011, 03:10 PM
OK that was not only great, but also major props to Ricky for staying true to himself.

He pulled similar stunts in the UK in the past and everybody said he wouldn't dare do it if he ever hit "big time". Well apparently he does. :tu

Have you guys in the state seen any of his earlier stand up shows? They're available on DVD so it shouldn't be too hard to find them.

redzero
01-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Ricky Gervais slaughtered everybody.

BlackSwordsMan
01-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Find the 13 min video of the golden globes of ricky shitting on everyone on youtube if you didn't watch it last night.

redzero
01-18-2011, 03:18 PM
k38cqDYqb4g
SSyIiSXcGac

caribbean_spur
01-18-2011, 08:30 PM
:lol Hilarious

baseline bum
01-18-2011, 08:33 PM
That may be the only awards show in the history of television that was worth watching. The funniest part was when he introduced Tim Allen. :lol

David Bowie
01-18-2011, 09:55 PM
I think that his jokes were ok, except for the one about Robert Downy Jr. It takes a lot of hard work to get clean and get your life/career back on track. It's not something not to be made fun of.

ploto
01-19-2011, 01:03 AM
The issue for the Golden Globes will come down to whether or not people will agree to be presenters if he is the host again. Do they want to have a show with B-list presenters that may not interest viewers? That is what they have to be concerned about.

tp2021
01-19-2011, 01:20 AM
The issue for the Golden Globes will come down to whether or not people will agree to be presenters if he is the host again. Do they want to have a show with B-list presenters that may not interest viewers? That is what they have to be concerned about.

I'd rather listen to Ricky Gervais tear people new assholes & then present the awards himself, than listen to A-listers stammer out scripted lame crap while they present. If the host isn''t funny, they might as well just have Ryan Seacrest up there listing the nominees and pausing 10 seconds before announcing the winner. I mean really, what good are the presenters?

Sisk
01-19-2011, 02:00 AM
He warned them. You get what you pay for. :lol
BvHXzP2SpLA

That's what all this fuss is about?

Wow.

Death In June
01-19-2011, 02:50 AM
The jokes weren't all that funny, or even delivered well, but the reaction to it was ridiculous. The whole event is an exercise in self aggrandizing, self congratulatory bullshit anyway. Taking a mild jab at the social elite is too much for their ego? Fuck them.

Frenzy
01-19-2011, 09:33 AM
The jokes weren't all that funny, or even delivered well, but the reaction to it was ridiculous. The whole event is an exercise in self aggrandizing, self congratulatory bullshit anyway. Taking a mild jab at the social elite is too much for their ego? Fuck them.

Agreed get over it. I laughed more at the reactions then the actual joke.

ploto
01-19-2011, 10:58 AM
I'd rather listen to Ricky Gervais tear people new assholes & then present the awards himself, than listen to A-listers stammer out scripted lame crap while they present. If the host isn''t funny, they might as well just have Ryan Seacrest up there listing the nominees and pausing 10 seconds before announcing the winner. I mean really, what good are the presenters?

But he was not even all that funny or creative. He went for all the easy jokes.

MannyIsGod
01-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Hollywood apparently can't laugh at itself. I'm pretty sure Iron Man was just joking around but some of those assholes are a bit too tight.

baseline bum
01-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Too bad Gervais doesn't come in and replace Steve Carrell to save an already-dying The Office.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-19-2011, 01:45 PM
As long as he keeps coming up with funny (and much, much more importantly) profitable ideas Hollywood will take whatever he can dish out. Besides, the Golden Globes have always been the second banana to both the Emmys and the Oscars. When else have they had something that has kept people talking about it days later? Usually any discussion of awards wins and losses are only seen in terms of what they might mean for the Oscar nominees. Even if Gervais doesn't come back next year they'll get a round of free publicity and buzz around the 2012 show because of this.

When you have good times then I'm sure that there are plenty of people that like to just watch the glitz and glam of the celebrities and that's enough for them, but it a time where everyone's got real problems I think people liked seeing someone say some of these things (sort of) to the celebs faces.

JudynTX
01-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Too bad Gervais doesn't come in and replace Steve Carrell to save an already-dying The Office.

+1000

No kidding. What's happening on that show now? I stopped watching a few years ago.

JudynTX
01-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Ricky Gervais on Saturday Night Live! :toast Oh I wish. :lol

baseline bum
01-19-2011, 02:19 PM
+1000

No kidding. What's happening on that show now? I stopped watching a few years ago.

The show has gone to hell since Pam and Jim got married. It reminds me of that horrible NBC show with Paul Reiser that used to come on before Seinfeld in the 90s.

JudynTX
01-19-2011, 02:22 PM
The show has gone to hell since Pam and Jim got married. It reminds me of that horrible NBC show with Paul Reiser that used to come on before Seinfeld in the 90s.

The one with Helen Hunt? :lol

spursfan09
01-19-2011, 04:38 PM
I read on facebook that Ricky Gervais is going to guest star on the office pretty soon... So there ya go!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/theofficenbc

JudynTX
01-19-2011, 05:06 PM
i read on facebook that ricky gervais is going to guest star on the office pretty soon... So there ya go!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/theofficenbc

yes!!!!!!!!!!!

mrsmaalox
01-19-2011, 05:36 PM
I thought I saw a new FB page that was something like "Petition for Ricky Gervais to host ALL award shows from now on".

Last Comic Standing
01-19-2011, 06:01 PM
The one with Helen Hunt? :lol

I really liked that show and she was hot.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Pathetic how these primadonnas can't suffer through three hours of criticism in their pampered glorious lives.

Ricky Gervais is comedic gold. I wish he'd take his stand up on the road in the states.