PDA

View Full Version : brady (patriots) loss

Phillip
01-18-2011, 10:59 AM
perfect example of why its bullshit to call Manning a choker, bad leader, etc... despite having had plenty of solid performances in the playoffs that still resulted in losses (similar to what Brady had in this game). gotta have a complete team to win consistently in the playoffs. it was clear that the patriots defense was lacking immensely, as well as a mediocre receiving core. overall, brady actually put together a good performance, and while he had a couple mistakes, he still did what he could to keep his team in a position to win, while despite the mistakes the defense had made all day, they continued to make mistakes and fuck up any further chances of Brady leading them to victory.

despite these two guys going out in their first games this year, they both in their respective games, did what they could to put their teams in a position to win (despite whatever mistakes they personally made in the game - in Mannings situation, trying to audible to force the run game to work, in Brady's situation, the turnovers), which what your QB is supposed to do.

best two QBs of all time. hopefully we can get one more chance to see them have an epic playoff duel :toast

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Brady gave up 3 TD passes to Mark Sanchez, it's all on Brady, 100% of it

Phillip
01-18-2011, 11:03 AM
crofl

Phillip
01-18-2011, 11:04 AM
sanchez going for 3 TDs was absolutely pathetic of the defense.

bostonguy
01-18-2011, 11:05 AM
perfect example of why its bullshit to call Manning a choker, bad leader, etc... despite having had plenty of solid performances in the playoffs that still resulted in losses (similar to what Brady had in this game). gotta have a complete team to win consistently in the playoffs. it was clear that the patriots defense was lacking immensely, as well as a mediocre receiving core. overall, brady actually put together a good performance, and while he had a couple mistakes, he still did what he could to keep his team in a position to win, while despite the mistakes the defense had made all day, they continued to make mistakes and fuck up any further chances of Brady leading them to victory.

despite these two guys going out in their first games this year, they both in their respective games, did what they could to put their teams in a position to win (despite whatever mistakes they personally made in the game - in Mannings situation, trying to audible to force the run game to work, in Brady's situation, the turnovers), which what your QB is supposed to do.

best two QBs of all time. hopefully we can get one more chance to see them have an epic playoff duel :toast

When people talk about the Patriots 3 titles in 4 years, a lot of people just say "Brady/Belichick." As great as those guys were during those superbowls, they had a top notch D to fall back on. Without an elite Defense, Pats don't win 3 in 4. That D could pressure the qb and constantly force turnovers. It was their ultimate strength.

Brady had an off game, but those will happen. If you have to rely on your O that much, you aren't winning much in the playoffs. You need a D that can generate sacks and turnovers.

Oh and Manning is still the best qb in the game. Brady is right behind him. Manning is the coach/offensive coordinator of that team. He has no run game and not all that good of a D.

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Brady did play terrible, tho. He was so indecisive with the football it was ridiculous. The coverage was good, but every replay I saw Brady had a reasonably open man. An elite QB is supposed to make those thread the needle passes, and he was too scared to even try them half the time. at least 3 of those sacks were on Brady.

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 11:07 AM
When people talk about the Patriots 3 titles in 4 years, a lot of people just say "Brady/Belichick." As great as those guys were during those superbowls, they had a top notch D to fall back on. Without an elite Defense, Pats don't win 3 in 4. That D could pressure the qb and constantly force turnovers. It was their ultimate strength.

Brady had an off game, but those will happen. If you have to rely on your O that much, you aren't winning much in the playoffs. You need a D that can generate sacks and turnovers.

The defense is the youngest in the league and they've shown a ton of potential. They've also choked hard 2 years in a row in the playoffs. I don't know what to make of that.

I do know that now Belichick has absolutely no excuse if he doesn't bring in a top notch pass rusher. Two straight years of Tully Banta Faggot Cain doing jack shit isn't cutting it. Cunningham isn't ready, and in the end he'll be a nice player but certainly not the sack machine we need.

Warlord23
01-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Agree on Manning, disagree on Brady.

Manning did all he could to get points out of an injured team, Brady not so much.

In the first half, the Jets brought 4 rushers, sometimes 5 and Brady couldn't figure out where the last one was coming from. Couldn't get out of the pocket, and was ready to go to the ground easily. In the second half, the Jets mostly brought 3 rushers and Brady had great protection, all day to throw and couldn't hit his receivers. The throw to Branch which was mistimed and behind Branch was a perfect example. There were a few other throws which were off target.

You give Aaron Rodgers that much time, he is either going to find a guy downfield or pick up yardage with his legs. Sorry, but Brady looked very human in this game. Still a great QB, but this wasn't the game that showcased his greatness.

lefty
01-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Brady sucked major donkey ass

After he threw that early INT, I knew his confidence would go down the drain

Let's face it, the real clutch player for NE was Adam Viniateri :lol

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 11:10 AM
sanchez going for 3 TDs was absolutely pathetic of the defense.

the actual TD passes themselves weren't all that bad. One miracle catch by Santonio, one jump ball that Braylon obviously won (no CB in the world is stopping that imo), and an illegal pick to get LT wide open.

it was just the shitty defense before that, and the FUCKING HORRIBLE special teams play that was the bigger problem.

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Also, I'd question how "elite" the defenses in the past were. As a unit they were elite yes, but talentwise how elite were they really?

Put it this way, how many dynasty era Patriots are going to the Hall Of Fame?

Brady and Vinatieri are locks. After that?

Bruschi - maybe
Ty Law - maybe
Harrison - doubtful
Vrabel - doubtful
McGinest - doubtful

I can't even think of another player on those teams that deserves mention. The defense worked great as a unit, but talentwise I honestly think the Patriots defense right now has more actual talent than those dynasty era Pats defenses. They're just young, raw, and obviously need to work on their football IQ.

bostonguy
01-18-2011, 11:16 AM
The defense is the youngest in the league and they've shown a ton of potential. They've also choked hard 2 years in a row in the playoffs. I don't know what to make of that.

I do know that now Belichick has absolutely no excuse if he doesn't bring in a top notch pass rusher. Two straight years of Tully Banta Faggot Cain doing jack shit isn't cutting it. Cunningham isn't ready, and in the end he'll be a nice player but certainly not the sack machine we need.

We do have some nice young guys on the D, but this team is in need of a few pass rushers. They have draft picks to use on some or they can trade for one. We all saw it Sunday. They didn't even sack Sanchez ONCE! Hell the reason why the D didn't look worse is cuz of Sanchez's bad throws at times.

bostonguy
01-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Also, I'd question how "elite" the defenses in the past were. As a unit they were elite yes, but talentwise how elite were they really?

Bruschi - maybe
Ty Law - maybe
Harrison - doubtful
Vrabel - doubtful

I can't even think of another player on those teams that deserves mention. The defense worked great as a unit, but talentwise I honestly think the Patriots defense right now has more actual talent than those dynasty era Pats defenses. They're just young, raw, and obviously need to work on their football IQ.

Well that's what I meant. The overall unit was elite. Mcginnis,Seymour, Warren,Wilfork,Bruchi, Vrabel,Samuel,Harrison,Law etc.

None of them will be the GOAT, but they each had skills that worked damn well with this D and Belichick was able to utilize them.

Phillip
01-18-2011, 11:34 AM

Bruschi - maybe
Ty Law - maybe
Harrison - doubtful
Vrabel - doubtful
McGinest - doubtful

I agree with this assessment. It's definitely arguable that the total talent now is higher than it was in those days, but I don't know if there has ever been a defense that played as well as an entire unit as those Pats defenes did, not to mention that even though they werent extremely talented, several of them were right in their primes all at the same time as well, so they were playing some of the best football of their career. Sometimes you just can't put a price on IQ and team play.

I used to hate on them and the Patriots as a whole, but in all honesty, that unit was just amazing as a whole though. They set the golden standard for what it means to work together as a team, both on offense and defense.

JamStone
01-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Agree on Manning, disagree on Brady.

Manning did all he could to get points out of an injured team, Brady not so much.

In the first half, the Jets brought 4 rushers, sometimes 5 and Brady couldn't figure out where the last one was coming from. Couldn't get out of the pocket, and was ready to go to the ground easily. In the second half, the Jets mostly brought 3 rushers and Brady had great protection, all day to throw and couldn't hit his receivers. The throw to Branch which was mistimed and behind Branch was a perfect example. There were a few other throws which were off target.

You give Aaron Rodgers that much time, he is either going to find a guy downfield or pick up yardage with his legs. Sorry, but Brady looked very human in this game. Still a great QB, but this wasn't the game that showcased his greatness.

Agree with your point, but your one example doesn't support it. With that pass to Branch, Brady did receive pressure and he rushed his throw. It wasn't a sharp pass. But I subscribe to the idea that if the football hits the receiver in both of his hands in the field of play, he should catch the ball.

Let's not forget the four points loss when Crumpler dropped a sure TD. It's one or two plays in the football game that can change the entire course of the rest of the game. If New England scores a TD instead of a FG there, I think we see a different game.

That doesn't absolve Brady. I agree with you about the second half and him having pretty much all day to pass for much of it. He kept looking for the perfect pass or big play pass and really avoided throwing it at a receiver with just "good" coverage on him. The great QBs find a way to get it to their receivers even with good coverage on them.

Warlord23
01-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Agree with your point, but your one example doesn't support it. With that pass to Branch, Brady did receive pressure and he rushed his throw. It wasn't a sharp pass. But I subscribe to the idea that if the football hits the receiver in both of his hands in the field of play, he should catch the ball.

Let's not forget the four points loss when Crumpler dropped a sure TD. It's one or two plays in the football game that can change the entire course of the rest of the game. If New England scores a TD instead of a FG there, I think we see a different game.

That doesn't absolve Brady. I agree with you about the second half and him having pretty much all day to pass for much of it. He kept looking for the perfect pass or big play pass and really avoided throwing it at a receiver with just "good" coverage on him. The great QBs find a way to get it to their receivers even with good coverage on them.

You're right, I just had a look at that play again and the Jets brought 5 rushers. But I guess we agree that a great QB with that much time should be able to pick the defense apart

Brodie Bruce
01-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I still say give Manning a solid defense and that Colts team would be a dynasty easy. Last few times the Colts lost in the playoffs, other than the Super Bowl against the Saints, Manning's played pretty well but the defense broke down in the 4th quarter. The Colts had leads in most of those games and just couldn't hang on. That's what happens when you play a "bend but dont break" style on defense, eventually it's going to break. Give Manning a "smack you in the mouth" type of defense and he'd easily get two more rings, probably back to back.

He's a free agent now too. If I were him I'd make the Colts promise to get a real defensive coordinator and blow up that scheme or else threaten to take his talents to South Beach.

HarlemHeat37
01-18-2011, 12:22 PM
In all honesty, Elway >> Manning and Brady, but ya, I agree that those guys are pretty good..

Phillip
01-18-2011, 12:42 PM

Also, if you watch the reply of that play from another angle, you can see that Brady threw that pass right on the money, it was actually Branch who for no reason at all overran the route and put himself in a position where he had to do a strange jump for the ball. If he had came straight to the ball like he should have, it was an easy catch, but instead he kept floating to the sideline and got himself out of position.

Phillip
01-18-2011, 12:43 PM
I still say give Manning a solid defense and that Colts team would be a dynasty easy. Last few times the Colts lost in the playoffs, other than the Super Bowl against the Saints, Manning's played pretty well but the defense broke down in the 4th quarter. The Colts had leads in most of those games and just couldn't hang on. That's what happens when you play a "bend but dont break" style on defense, eventually it's going to break. Give Manning a "smack you in the mouth" type of defense and he'd easily get two more rings, probably back to back.

He's a free agent now too. If I were him I'd make the Colts promise to get a real defensive coordinator and blow up that scheme or else threaten to take his talents to South Beach.

Replace Worthlessburger with Manning or Brady, and the Steelers have probably 4-5 Superbowls instead of 2.

Greg Oden
01-18-2011, 12:43 PM
In all honesty, Elway >> Manning and Brady, but ya, I agree that those guys are pretty good..

that's a stretch.

Phillip
01-18-2011, 12:44 PM

either you are trolling (which is what im inclined to believe), or you are a fucking dumbass

Phillip
01-18-2011, 12:44 PM
that's a stretch.

that reply only works cleverly against Stretch.

lol oden

LnGrrrR
01-18-2011, 12:45 PM
The Pats went out because Brady played like garbage too. Were his numbers decent? Sure. But apart from the first two drives, and the TD scoring one, they couldn't move the ball when it mattered.

Fwiw, Belichick got outcoached too.

LnGrrrR
01-18-2011, 12:56 PM
the actual TD passes themselves weren't all that bad. One miracle catch by Santonio, one jump ball that Braylon obviously won (no CB in the world is stopping that imo), and an illegal pick to get LT wide open.

it was just the shitty defense before that, and the FUCKING HORRIBLE special teams play that was the bigger problem.

Honestly, the defense did as well as I expected them to. They were on short field position the entire first half. Heck, the Jets didn't even get any pts off that first INT. Could've been a blowout much quicker if not for that.

LnGrrrR
01-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Brady did play terrible, tho. He was so indecisive with the football it was ridiculous. The coverage was good, but every replay I saw Brady had a reasonably open man. An elite QB is supposed to make those thread the needle passes, and he was too scared to even try them half the time. at least 3 of those sacks were on Brady.

Agreed.

BUMP
01-18-2011, 01:18 PM

Phillip......

PUTS IT IN!!!!!

rWcgZeNuHPk

BUMP
01-18-2011, 01:24 PM

mono, at the buzzer.....

BANKS IT IN!!!!

cLwqxSIEyqQ

Phillip
01-18-2011, 01:27 PM
bump.......

WITH THE FACIAL!!!!!!!!!

Fabbs
01-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Multitroll........

With the Jerk OFF!!!

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 01:37 PM

LOLOLOLOLOL he's the most overrated QB in NFL history. Statistically that's already been proven, without a doubt. And as far as his legacy, he was "the guy who gets curbstomped in the Super Bowl" until he got lucky and the entire NFL had a 5 year window where franchises struggled with the new salary cap era (something the Broncos flat out cheated to circumvent), and Terrell Davis came along.

I can name at least 25 QB's in NFL history I'll take before John Elway. Shit, I might get to 30 or 40.

Phillip
01-18-2011, 01:51 PM
LOLOLOLOLOL he's the most overrated QB in NFL history. Statistically that's already been proven, without a doubt. And as far as his legacy, he was "the guy who gets curbstomped in the Super Bowl" until he got lucky and the entire NFL had a 5 year window where franchises struggled with the new salary cap era (something the Broncos flat out cheated to circumvent), and Terrell Davis came along.

I can name at least 25 QB's in NFL history I'll take before John Elway. Shit, I might get to 30 or 40.

LOL now that's kinda stretching it. But yes, he does get quite overrated by a lot of people.

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Not a ranking, just a list of 25 guys I'll take over Elway.

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Manning
4. Marino
5. Young
6. Staubach
7. Rodgers
8. Warner
9. Favre
10. Kelly
11. McNair
12. Aikman
13. Cunningham
14. Esiason
15. Moon
16. Rivers
17. Gannon
18. Tarkenton
19. Fouts
20. Unitas
21. Namath
22. Theismann
23. Griese
24. Bradshaw
25. Brees

Wilford Brimley
01-18-2011, 02:08 PM

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Manning
4. Marino
5. Young
6. Staubach
7. Rodgers
8. Warner
9. Favre
10. Kelly
11. McNair
12. Aikman
13. Cunningham
14. Esiason
15. Moon
16. Rivers
17. Gannon
18. Tarkenton
19. Fouts
20. Unitas
21. Namath
22. Theismann
23. Griese
24. Bradshaw
25. Brees

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

det's a good one!

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 02:14 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

det's a good one!

NDNRRPZHi2s

Wilford Brimley
01-18-2011, 02:19 PM
NDNRRPZHi2s

scrah he was a good player, but to put him ahead of Elway is retarded

Phillip
01-18-2011, 03:08 PM

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Manning
4. Marino
5. Young
6. Staubach
7. Rodgers
8. Warner
9. Favre
10. Kelly
11. McNair
12. Aikman
13. Cunningham
14. Esiason
15. Moon
16. Rivers
17. Gannon
18. Tarkenton
19. Fouts
20. Unitas
21. Namath
22. Theismann
23. Griese
24. Bradshaw
25. Brees

if you wanna talk about overrated, this guy is the most overrated player in NFL history.

BUMP
01-18-2011, 03:16 PM

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Manning
4. Marino
5. Young
6. Staubach
7. Rodgers
8. Warner
9. Favre
10. Kelly
11. McNair
12. Aikman
13. Cunningham
14. Esiason
15. Moon
16. Rivers
17. Gannon
18. Tarkenton
19. Fouts
20. Unitas
21. Namath
22. Theismann
23. Griese
24. Bradshaw
25. Brees

:lolI'm sure you'd love this article

http://broncotalk.net/2010/10/18590/broncos-blog/nfls-top-100-ranks-john-elway-22-spots-too-low/

lefty
01-18-2011, 03:38 PM
The Pats went out because Brady played like garbage too. Were his numbers decent? Sure. But apart from the first two drives, and the TD scoring one, they couldn't move the ball when it mattered.

Fwiw, Belichick got outcoached too.
Rex Ryan just figured that blitzing doesnt work vs NE

Solid coverage worked

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 03:53 PM
scrah he was a good player, but to put him ahead of Elway is retarded

What exactly did Elway do besides get lucky and ride a hot RB who was as good as any RB in NFL history for a 2 year stretch?

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 04:00 PM
:lolI'm sure you'd love this article

http://broncotalk.net/2010/10/18590/broncos-blog/nfls-top-100-ranks-john-elway-22-spots-too-low/

:lol

Elway made the Broncos relevant and dangerous for 16 straight years.

Well, except for 85, 88, 90, 92, 94, and 95. But in all fairness 10 out of 16 years is pretty decent until you factor in that they were a big "lol 55-10" and "lol 35 points in a quarter" and "Denver owns Cleveland but lol because every sports team on earth owns Cleveland" laughingstocks until Terrell Davis came along.

DarrinS
01-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Wow. Nice job giving the Jets absolutely ZERO credit for having a good game plan. There's a reason that Brady was holding on to the ball for such a long time.

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Wow. Nice job giving the Jets absolutely ZERO credit for having a good game plan. There's a reason that Brady was holding on to the ball for such a long time.

Knew your bandwagoning ass was bound to show up. Can't wait to see you not post in the NFL Forum for 6 months once the Steelers push your team's shit in.

BUMP
01-18-2011, 04:07 PM

The Jets played good defense sure, but Brady has to be able to make those tight throws which he is capable of making.

I think part of the problem is that all season they've been so good at gameplanning that they've been able to get guys like Woodhead and Welker matched up against the wrong guys on defense therefore they're always wide open.

monosylab1k
Athough imho the ideal scenario would be for the Jets to kick Pittsburgh's ass and then get their shit pushed in by Green Bay.

DarrinS
Knew your bandwagoning ass was bound to show up. Can't wait to see you not post in the NFL Forum for 6 months once the Steelers push your team's shit in.

Man, someone is butthurt.

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 04:09 PM
The Jets played good defense sure, but Brady has to be able to make those tight throws which he is capable of making.

I think part of the problem is that all season they've been so good at gameplanning that they've been able to get guys like Woodhead and Welker matched up against the wrong guys on defense therefore they're always wide open.

:tu

Brady spent all game long looking to hit home runs instead of settling for a shitload of singles. Which has been his undoing in playoff games since The Game We Don't Speak Of.

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Man, someone is butthurt.

Man, someone is frontrunning.

DarrinS
01-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Athough imho the ideal scenario would be for the Jets to kick Pittsburgh's ass and then get their shit pushed in by Green Bay.

By the way, nice temper tantrum. Weren't you the same guy who kept posting the 45-3 score in my face?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170462

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Weren't you the same guy who kept posting the 45-3 score in my face?

I highly doubt that since it's unlikely you showed your face in the NFL Forum after 45-3.

DarrinS
01-18-2011, 04:12 PM
I highly doubt that since it's unlikely you showed your face in the NFL Forum after 45-3.

That's becasue I'm afraid of the juvenile ankle biters that freqent this wasteland of a forum.

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 04:13 PM
That's becasue I'm afraid

we know.

lol "becasue"

IronMexican
01-18-2011, 04:21 PM
mono, are the Steelers your most hated team? I rememba last year you would rather die than watch the Jest win it. But Pitt wasn't even in it.

monosylab1k
01-18-2011, 04:25 PM
mono, are the Steelers your most hated team? I rememba last year you would rather die than watch the Jest win it. But Pitt wasn't even in it.

tbh I really don't hate the Jets at all. I would have rather they beat the Colts last season too. I only really hate them now because LaFaggotian Tomlinson plays for them. I hate Rex Ryan but I respect him as a goddamn good coach.

On the other hand, I don't respect a bunch of dickheads who try to headhunt and rape and asshole their way to titles. Which is why I'd be 10000000000000x happier to see the Jets win a title than the Steelers.

Either way, I'm rooting for Green Bay or Chicago still.

BUMP
01-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Seems like everyone hates the Steelers. I don't particularly mind them too much, just this year I don't want them to win it in Cowboys stadium because of the old rivalry. We'd be hearing gay cliches about it for years.

I'd prefer the Jets go all the way just because it would be good TV to see Rex Ryan at media day :lol

LnGrrrR
01-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Rex Ryan just figured that blitzing doesnt work vs NE

Solid coverage worked

Yup. Dropped a million DBs into the backfield, and Brady couldn't find one open.

Great plan, really. Used the same type of planning against the Colts... dare them into taking the run when you're ahead, and eat up tons of clock time.

The Pats really needed to stretch the field that game, because a lot of Jets were sitting in the intermediate route area. We bombed it once to Tate (inches away from the completion) and a decent one to Gronk. That's about it.

It was a great game plan, and if Jets win the SB, I won't be too mad. It's been awhile since they won it all.

DeadlyDynasty
01-18-2011, 04:39 PM
tbh I really don't hate the Jets at all. I would have rather they beat the Colts last season too. I only really hate them now because LaFaggotian Tomlinson plays for them. I hate Rex Ryan but I respect him as a goddamn good coach.

On the other hand, I don't respect a bunch of dickheads who try to headhunt and rape and asshole their way to titles. Which is why I'd be 10000000000000x happier to see the Jets win a title than the Steelers.

http://monroeanderson.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54f195bd88834011570924b14970b-800wi

sup brah

LnGrrrR
01-18-2011, 04:39 PM

If I had to pick, I'd want a Jets/Bears SB. I'm rooting for the Bears now just because it's one of my life-long friend's teams.

IronMexican
01-18-2011, 04:46 PM

Always thought you hated them more. You went on some long rant last year about rather getting Aids than watching the Jest win it. Maybe it's cause Rex has shown he's an actual good coach.

ChrisHansen
01-18-2011, 04:50 PM
I remember when the Saints bukkaked the Pats last year in the reg season, they did the same thing. Dropped a million DB's mainly over the middle and Brady often forced things

DarrinS
01-18-2011, 04:55 PM
It's not even that you have to drop a "million" db's into the backfield (they did suit up and play quite a number of db's). If you bump guys off the line and interrupt timing routes, that really screws up their system.

LnGrrrR
01-18-2011, 05:11 PM
It's not even that you have to drop a "million" db's into the backfield (they did suit up and play quite a number of db's). If you bump guys off the line and interrupt timing routes, that really screws up their system.

Yeah, that was a well-executed idea. Definitely threw off the timing.

LnGrrrR
01-18-2011, 05:14 PM
I remember when the Saints bukkaked the Pats last year in the reg season, they did the same thing. Dropped a million DB's mainly over the middle and Brady often forced things

I was actually at that game. The Saints fans were all pretty cool, I'm glad they won it last year.

Of course, I had my Pats gear on, so on the way down the tunnel, some black guy asked me "Hey, you know why the Pats didn't win?" Lightheartedly, I asked him why. He then sang/shouted "Cause Tom Brady don't run nothing down south!"

He then followed me down the tunnel with his friends, singing that line all the way down, arms thrown up in the air to the tune. I couldn't help but laugh. Gotta expect craziness in New Orleans, after all. (It wasn't as dickish a move as it may sound online, the guy was laughing and having a ball, and couldn't deny the Saints played a hell of a game.)

Fabbs
01-19-2011, 02:03 AM

Nice post Phillip.
You can add Rivers to the list.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Still can't put them over Montana. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but way Montana dropped fools in the postseason was simply epic. I know the Walsh, great players, system, etc. arguments and I understand them. Not everyone is going to agree on a top 3 or 5, right?

They are, by far, the three best QBs I've gotten a chance to see play.

As for the game, Chung dropping the ball is when the game turned. If the Pats kick it deep, then I think they win the game. It was a strange call as is, but even stranger at home. BB, you're better than that, brah.

Elway? My counter is Boomer Esiason. Stack up Elway's stats against Boomer's when Esiason was a Bengal.

dirk4mvp
01-19-2011, 09:19 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/14/Ralph_Wiggum.png/212px-Ralph_Wiggum.png

I'll add Rivers to that list with my multitroll.

Marmalard still hasn't done anything of note, Fabbs, monosylabik1k, BUMP, Ironmexican, DuncanOwnsKobe, etc.

Phillip
01-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Still can't put them over Montana. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but way Montana dropped fools in the postseason was simply epic. I know the Walsh, great players, system, etc. arguments and I understand them. Not everyone is going to agree on a top 3 or 5, right?

As for the game, Chung dropping the ball is when the game turned. If the Pats kick it deep, then I think they win the game. It was a strange call as is, but even stranger at home. BB, you're better than that, brah.

Elway? My counter is Boomer Esiason. Stack up Elway's stats against Boomer's when Esiason was a Bengal.

I agree that they are the three best. There are two reasons I put them ahead of Joe.

One is because I feel Joe had a more complete team at his disposal through pretty much his entire career. He didn't really have to deal with as many gaping holes the way Brady and especially Manning has had to deal with. He pretty much always had a complete receiving core, reliable ground game, and a defense that could consistently make big stops and big plays happen.

The other is because he benefitted from a system that no one really knew how to defend. Most of the league was still heavily into a ground game, passing generally out of play-action. There were some teams that had more of a pass heavy scheme like the Dolphins, but no team knew how to execute a West Coast Offense like the 49ers, which was a pretty new concept. Today, while the WCO is still effective, its not nearly as effective as it was back then, as defensive strategy has evolved and is much more capable of defending it now than defenses previously could.

01-19-2011, 11:21 AM
It's been talked about before and there is nothing wrong with ranking these three in any order. I think they are that close.

As much as it pains me to say it, Favre would probably rank 4th. His mid-90s run was outstanding.

The last decade's douchebaggery has really diminished what he accomplished in his first few years in the league.

Blake
01-19-2011, 11:38 AM

Interesting that you note the way that Montana dropped fools in the postseason but then compare Elway to Boomer Esiason.

Elway putting the Broncos on his back and drop kicking the Browns year after year was classic pwnage on a grand scale.

Phillip
01-19-2011, 11:51 AM
It's been talked about before and there is nothing wrong with ranking these three in any order. I think they are that close.

As much as it pains me to say it, Favre would probably rank 4th. His mid-90s run was outstanding.

The last decade's douchebaggery has really diminished what he accomplished in his first few years in the league.

I agree. I think Montana, Brady, and Manning are/were all amazing QBs and each bring different things to the table. Manning can dissect defenses and complete nearly impossible passes like none other. Brady has incredible pocket presence and a calmness/silent cockiness that rubs off on his teammates. Montana was a fantastic playmaker.

I'd say Favre is probably #4 as well. Even though he did some lame stuff by trying to skip training camp over and over by "retiring", he still showed a lot of love for the game, as well as just how gifted he was as a football player, as he had his best statistical season ever last year, despite being 1000 years old.

monosylab1k
01-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Interesting that you note the way that Montana dropped fools in the postseason but then compare Elway to Boomer Esiason.

Elway putting the Broncos on his back and drop kicking the Browns year after year was classic pwnage on a grand scale.

Throw a dead rat in the air and chances are it'll land on somebody who's taken a shit on the Browns.

Blake
01-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Throw a dead rat in the air and chances are it'll land on somebody who's taken a shit on the Browns.

not in the playoffs the way Elway did.

5 years in a row the Browns made the playoffs in the 80s. 3 of those years, Elway took a massive crap all over their Super Bowl dreams.

monosylab1k
01-19-2011, 01:11 PM
not in the playoffs the way Elway did.

5 years in a row the Browns made the playoffs in the 80s. 3 of those years, Elway took a massive crap all over their Super Bowl dreams.

and then proceeded to have his own SB dreams shit on in even more hilarious fashion.

SpursFanFirst
01-19-2011, 01:53 PM

The Colts fired the RB coach yesterday...not a big deal, but I'm wondering how many other changes are in store for the offseason.
Oh how I wish Caldwell was next...

dirk4mvp
01-19-2011, 02:20 PM
The Colts fired the RB coach yesterday...not a big deal, but I'm wondering how many other changes are in store for the offseason.
Oh how I wish Caldwell was next...

I like how anyone retarded enough to defend Caldwell points to his 24-8 record and a trip to the SB in his first 2 years, as if he had anything to do with either.

Blake
01-19-2011, 03:07 PM
and then proceeded to have his own SB dreams shit on in even more hilarious fashion.

he went to 5 and won 2.

a lot of qbs would give up a testicle to have such shitty dreams.

monosylab1k
01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
he went to 5 and won 2.

a lot of qbs would give up a testicle to have such shitty dreams.

he went to 5, got curbstomped in 3 and piggybacked his way to 2.

Blake
01-19-2011, 03:30 PM
he went to 5, got curbstomped in 3 and piggybacked his way to 2.

lol piggybacking with Super Bowl MVP trophy in back pocket

monosylab1k
01-19-2011, 03:53 PM
lol piggybacking with Super Bowl MVP trophy in back pocket

Because the player who wins Super Bowl MVP is always the one who deserves it.

DeadlyDynasty
01-19-2011, 03:58 PM

Not always the case, but passing for 330+ yards, 1 td (play of the game to Smith), and rushing for another seems like pretty good grounds for a SB MVP.

Blake
01-19-2011, 04:22 PM

WpJaJM4Cy8o&NR=1

piggycopter

Blake
01-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Not always the case, but passing for 330+ yards, 1 td (play of the game to Smith), and rushing for another seems like pretty good grounds for a SB MVP.

na, pretty sure that Davis gave Elway a ride on his back for that rushing TD.

DeadlyDynasty
01-19-2011, 04:27 PM
WpJaJM4Cy8o&NR=1

piggycopter

One of the more overrated plays in SB history, imo...it wasn't even a touchdown. TD was hands-down the MVP of that game.

na, pretty sure that Davis gave Elway a ride on his back for that rushing TD.

Elway rightfully earned that SB MVP, but TD is the reason they got there in the first place, imo. IIRC he rushed for over 2,000 yards that season.

Blake
01-19-2011, 04:46 PM
One of the more overrated plays in SB history, imo...it wasn't even a touchdown. TD was hands-down the MVP of that game.

no question TD was the MVP and Elway was sucking it hard til that point in the game.

..but it was 3rd down and 6, the dude is old as dirt and is still diving, taking one for the team.

hardly piggybacking though and I think its a play that's rated about right.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/espn25/story?page=moments/68

Elway rightfully earned that SB MVP, but TD is the reason they got there in the first place, imo. IIRC he rushed for over 2,000 yards that season.

TD did rush for 2000 and 21 TDs. Elway piggybacked his way to probowl that year too.

Either that or it was his 23 total TDs in 12 starts that got him in......one of those being a 400 yard game against KC.

monosylab1k
01-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Elway piggybacked his way to probowl that year too.

lol pro bowl.

i'm sure you never scoffed a VY nuthugger for citing his 2 Pro Bowl appearances.

Booharv
01-19-2011, 07:30 PM
If you listen to this two part podcast Bill Simmons did with Aaron Schatz of football outsiders and Mike Lombardi, they both say the Jets coverage was outstanding and they gave Brady a pass for this game, Simmons does as well. Lombardi says he watched the coaches game tape and there was almost no one open for the Pats plus Hernandez looked injured and couldn't get open.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2864045

monosylab1k
01-19-2011, 07:54 PM
If you listen to this two part podcast Bill Simmons did with Aaron Schatz of football outsiders and Mike Lombardi, they both say the Jets coverage was outstanding and they gave Brady a pass for this game, Simmons does as well. Lombardi says he watched the coaches game tape and there was almost no one open for the Pats plus Hernandez looked injured and couldn't get open.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2864045

I'm sorry but I call bullshit on those guys. I saw plenty of replays where guys had separation. Granted, not much separation, but enough to where an elite QB should be expected to complete those passes. People say Brady is one of the most accurate QB's of all time, and he needed to show that.

The coverage was excellent, but when you have that much time to throw it, there's no coverage in the world good enough to lock down their receivers that long. If they were in zone, again, Brady is supposed to be one of the greatest ever at picking apart a zone.

If the defense was great, Brady had to be better. If he's one of the greatest of all time, he had to show it. And he didn't. He flat out didn't.

For whatever reason, Brady froze up in this game. He played it so safe that it was stupid.

Blake
01-19-2011, 08:05 PM
lol pro bowl.

i'm sure you never scoffed a VY nuthugger for citing his 2 Pro Bowl appearances.

na, can't take the Pro Bowl appearances away from VY. I usually scoff the nuthuggers when they bust their nuts after he throws for a 120 yards and a TD.

I'm not saying Elway carried the Broncs to the SB wins. Just basically saying anyone with a turd's worth of brainpower can figure out he didn't piggyback.

monosylab1k
01-19-2011, 08:07 PM
na, can't take the Pro Bowl appearances away from VY.

crofl of course you can't now. not when you're so desperately trying to prove Elway isn't the most overrated QB ever.

monosylab1k
01-19-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm not saying Elway carried the Broncs to the SB wins.

Because anyone with a turd's worth of brainpower knows who did.

Blake
01-19-2011, 08:11 PM
crofl of course you can't now. not when you're so desperately trying to prove Elway isn't the most overrated QB ever.

crofl moving the goalposts

Blake
01-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Because anyone with a turd's worth of brainpower knows who did.

:tu

Blake
01-19-2011, 08:20 PM

I've never called VY a piggybacker either.

Fabbs
01-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Broncos interviewed said to a man that play inspired them to kick it up a notch.

Fabbs
01-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Senseless PMSing about whether it was all Elway or all Davis.

It was the combo and then some. Along with the Oline doing Shanahans cut blocking.
Along with Bret Favre choking the last pass and fat coach **forgetting** they had a timeout left.

Zelophehad
01-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Yeah, Schlereth jerks off to that play any time its mentioned on ESPN. The NFL was different in the 1980s and 1990s in that you usually had to have a pro bowl level or better running back to win it all. So I wouldn't hold that against Elway tbh.

01-19-2011, 10:18 PM
The NFL was different in the 1980s and 1990s in that you usually had to have a pro bowl level or better running back to win it all. So I wouldn't hold that against Elway tbh.

Why would you hold it against him when three different Broncos RBs pre-TD made the PB?

The difference is that the AFC sucked major donkey balls back then. It was the biggest disparity between conferences in the modern era.