PDA

View Full Version : Young People: Since 1966 over 45+ years ago - Only Been 4 Stars who’ve 3-peated

Koolaid_Man
01-18-2011, 07:29 PM
This is a sacred and highly exclusive club of players... these are hallowed records and absolutely phenomenal and if nothing else if we’re truly basketball fans like we claim to be then surely we’ll put our team pride aside and recognize these great players for this rare accomplishment. This is not a knock against other players who maybe won a title or even went back to back it’s simply to recognize a ‘SPECIAL GROUP’ that 100 yrs from now will be recognized as the founding fathers of sorts.

Baseball has Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron, Football has Joe Montana and Jerry Rice and Basketball will have:

RANKED IN ORDER OF GREATNESS (thus far):lol :

6 Rings - Michael Jordan
5 Rings (and counting) Kobe Bryant
6 Rings - Scottie Pippen
4 Rings - Shaq O’Neal

Now depending on your perspective you may have a ton of negative things to say about these particular players but the NBA record books don't lie. In fact I'd venture to say if you're building an All-Time team it wouldn't matter who else you threw in this starting line-up.

Note: Kobe is the youngest player in the history of the league to have 3-peated and he’s aiming to become the youngest in the history to have 3-peated twice.

“This isn’t going to be easy,” Bryant said. “If it was easy to three-peat, you’d see a lot of teams do it in the past.

That’s why so few teams have been able to do it.” - Kobe Bryant

DMC
01-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Kool story bro

jestersmash
01-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Sure, but the correct order is

1. Michael Jordan (1st option)
2. Shaq (1st option for at least 3)
3. Scottie Pippen (2nd fiddle)
4. Kobe (2nd fiddle on at least 4 of them, 1st option on only 1 if even that)

ElNono
01-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Steve Kerr > Kobe, tbh. He actually won 4 in a row...

Koolaid_Man
01-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Steve Kerr > Kobe, tbh. He actually won 4 in a row...

This is about Stars...check the title again...

ElNono
01-18-2011, 07:56 PM
This is about Stars...check the title again...

Then why include coattailers like Pippen and Kobe?

Koolaid_Man
01-18-2011, 08:00 PM

your argument feels like pussy...if Shaq was truly the lone star then how in Hades is it possible for a coat-tailer to run him out of his own city and arena. How does that happen elhomo? :lol

ElNono
01-18-2011, 08:03 PM
your argument feels like pussy...if Shaq was truly the lone star then how in Hades is it possible for a coat-tailer to run him out of his own city and arena.

Shaq has the League and Finals MVP to prove it. You can say the same about Jordan.

You can't say the same for Pips and Kome.

LnGrrrR
01-18-2011, 08:04 PM
:lmao What a stupid fail post.

I wonder why the cutoff is 1966... hmm...

LnGrrrR
01-18-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the mother-fucking-octo-peat.

rayjayjohnson
01-18-2011, 08:05 PM
More lakerfan drivel

ElNono
01-18-2011, 08:06 PM

:lol

DJ Mbenga
01-18-2011, 08:13 PM

think of it as like baseball and the dead ball era. they just ignore things from that period

LnGrrrR
01-18-2011, 08:15 PM
think of it as like baseball and the dead ball era. they just ignore things from that period

Which is why it's such a fail post... since, you know, they mention Babe Ruth. (Who, last time I checked, wasn't playing after 1966.)

And since, ya know, they talk about the sports founding fathers.

I think Koolaid is just trying to threepeat as "Spurstalk's Worst Poster".

Cry Havoc
01-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Which is why it's such a fail post... since, you know, they mention Babe Ruth. (Who, last time I checked, wasn't playing after 1966.)

LnGrrrR, trashing Laker threads before they even reach page 2. Nasty.

Koolaid_Man
01-18-2011, 08:23 PM

LNGRRR hey sweetie...:lol answer me this...if you take away all the titles from the old era from LA and Boston....when there were only 8 I repeat 8 teams in the league...and let's compare titles from the Magic/ Bird era onward...Do you know how many titles we beat you by....:lol

I've said it before you guys were irrelevant for dam near 25 yrs...you ring once in 08 and now you've found a voice...get real my white nigga...:lol get real...

ElNono
01-18-2011, 08:35 PM
:lol This thread is irrelevant when you include coattailers on it, tbh

cheguevara
01-18-2011, 08:52 PM

trolled in his own thread

in2deep
01-18-2011, 08:55 PM
its a good point. You could replace many players with Pippen and Jordan still wins 6.

same case with replacing Kobe. Shaq still gets his 3.

Mel_13
01-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Yet they'll claim 5 titles from an even earlier period, won in another city, from the era before the 24 second clock.

LnGrrrR
01-18-2011, 09:25 PM
LNGRRR hey sweetie...:lol answer me this...if you take away all the titles from the old era from LA and Boston....when there were only 8 I repeat 8 teams in the league...and let's compare titles from the Magic/ Bird era onward...Do you know how many titles we beat you by....:lol

I've said it before you guys were irrelevant for dam near 25 yrs...you ring once in 08 and now you've found a voice...get real my white nigga...:lol get real...

And if you take away the time you fucked that skank you met at the local bowling alley, you wouldn't have herpes.

But you do. And the Celtics still have more championships than you. :lol

tlongII
01-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Didn't Bill Russell 8-peat in 1966?

Giuseppe
01-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Yeah, but, nobody saw it live West of St. Louis.

Koolaid_Man
01-18-2011, 11:22 PM
And if you take away the time you fucked that skank you met at the local bowling alley, you wouldn't have herpes.

But you do. And the Celtics still have more championships than you. :lol

dude u really are a tard...I didn't believe Cully when he first stated it but you say some of the most weird and random shit i've ever seen...

speaking of random....don't forget you married an illegal from Mexico...before she met you I'm sure she got DP'd by several ranchero's and had all kinds of burrito's stuffed up her ass by Cholo's...:lol

LnGrrrR
01-18-2011, 11:31 PM
speaking of random....don't forget you married an illegal from Mexico...before she met you I'm sure she got DP'd by several ranchero's and had all kinds of burrito's stuffed up her ass by Cholo's...:lol

You have weird fantasies. Also, your comebacks suck.

Koolaid_Man
01-18-2011, 11:33 PM

aye say mane...if Kool has Herpes you gave it to him from sucking him off night and day...:lmao

DMC
01-18-2011, 11:36 PM
your argument feels like pussy...if Shaq was truly the lone star then how in Hades is it possible for a coat-tailer to run him out of his own city and arena. How does that happen elhomo? :lol
Ask El BJ.

Booharv
01-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah, but, nobody saw it live West of St. Louis.

Magic's legendary game 6 performance versus the Sixers in 1980 was broadcast on tape delay to almost the entire country outside of LA and Philly. The networks opted to play reruns of Dukes of Hazzard, The Incredible Hulk, and that soap opera Dallas instead. No joke.

Rummpd
01-18-2011, 11:44 PM
They can't take it way now but the title the LAL got going through the Kings with all the strange calls in what many believe was included the worst officiated game (6) in NBA history - even Ralph Nadar wrote stern and Donaghy brought it up prominetly in his book should be brought up more - LAL at the very least was lucky to win that series:

At the heart of the matter is Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Sacramento Kings. The Kings, up 3-2 in the series, were victims of what many people view as the worst-officiated game of all-time, and the Lakers managed to pull out a 106-102 victory. The officiating was viewed as so bad, that longtime presidential hopeful Ralph Nader sent a letter to Stern stating that very fact afterwards. (The entire letter is found on page two of this article.)

http://sportsgambling.about.com/od/basketball/a/timdonaghy.htm

LnGrrrR
01-18-2011, 11:53 PM
aye say mane...if Kool has Herpes you gave it to him from sucking him off night and day...:lmao

Gutter92
01-19-2011, 12:44 AM
LOL

"If we take away titles...and then start from the Magic/Bird era..."

Cmon now...

Oh wait, Laker fans...the same fanbase that always loves to mention "not counting Kobe's first two years, when he wasn't starting consistently!"

Giuseppe
01-19-2011, 05:40 AM
They can't take it way now but the title the LAL got going through the Kings with all the strange calls in what many believe was included the worst officiated game (6) in NBA history - even Ralph Nadar wrote stern and Donaghy brought it up prominetly in his book should be brought up more - LAL at the very least was lucky to win that series:

At the heart of the matter is Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Sacramento Kings. The Kings, up 3-2 in the series, were victims of what many people view as the worst-officiated game of all-time, and the Lakers managed to pull out a 106-102 victory. The officiating was viewed as so bad, that longtime presidential hopeful Ralph Nader sent a letter to Stern stating that very fact afterwards. (The entire letter is found on page two of this article.)

http://sportsgambling.about.com/od/basketball/a/timdonaghy.htm

Still & all:::

Kobe: 5

Duncan: 4

Yorae
01-19-2011, 05:48 AM
Still & all:::

Kobe: 5

Duncan: 4

Non issue.

Giuseppe
01-19-2011, 06:11 AM
tee, hee.

greyforest
01-19-2011, 06:16 AM
true, but championships in the era of 8 - 10 NBA teams aren't truly comparable to those in today's era of 30 teams.

Giuseppe
01-19-2011, 06:22 AM
Rings are rings. Qualifying them is vulgar & ugly.

Mel_13
01-19-2011, 07:13 AM

Then, clearly, you disapprove of this thread started by your fellow Laker Fan.

LkrFan
01-19-2011, 07:28 AM
I'll put an asterisk next to that shit. There was no such thing as free agency back then. Therefore if you have a stacked team, no one could pry away Havlicek or Russell. Plus there were only 8 teams back then so it was not like there was a whole lot of competition back then to begin with. :lmao @ octo-peat in the friggen 50's or 60's. :rolleyes

Some Celtic fans think Bird was better than Kobe. Let me see here...

Kobe with 1 hall of fame teammate = 3 peat. Impressive
Bird with 2 hall of fame teammates = no 3 peat or repeat. Not impressive
Kobe with no hall of fame teammate = repeat (and counting). Impressive

Like Kool said, you guys have been irrelevant for over 25 years. Even with a hall of fame front line, you guys could not even repeat (thanks to the Lakers I might add :toast).

Doc likes to say how your starting 5 never lost. Well, neither has Bynum, Pau, Ariza/Artest, Kobe, and Fish, tbh. Truth be told, I'm not sure you guys would have won in 2008 if Bynum and Ariza were healthy.

Pau, LO, and Bynum repeated, therefore Pau/LO/Bynum > Bird/Parish/McHale. :lol I mean, you guys had 3 top 50 players of all time on your front line and couldn't go back to back. Think about that. :lmao

A Bird-led team couldn't repeat. A Kobe-led team did. And after this year, Kobe will have more than doubled Bird's ring count. Thems be the facts. :lol

Respect Kobe, even if you hate him. Now spin this shit.:downspin:

cheguevara
01-19-2011, 09:29 AM
lakerfan got severely raped up in here

Frenzy
01-19-2011, 09:45 AM
lakerfan got severely raped up in here

It doesn't count as rape if it is after the 66th....opps I mean 2nd page.

history2b
01-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Shaq has the League and Finals MVP to prove it. You can say the same about Jordan.

You can't say the same for Pips and Kome.

Did you really just post that Kobe doesn't have League and Finals MVPs?

Lol! Seriously, seek help with your delusion little guy. The koolaid is now flowing through your veins. :lmao

history2b
01-19-2011, 11:47 AM
On the subject of Kobe Bryant's current streak of greatness...

Dude's a legend literally carving out his place in history right now as we speak. If he propels the Lakers to the Finals again this season he will be the first superstar to carry a team there 4 consecutive years since Magic Johnson+Kareem Lakers from 82-85 and the Larry Bird Celtics from 84-87. Everyone knows those teams had 3 hall of famers each whereas Kobe is the lone Superstar player on the Lakers making this feat that much more impressive.

A bitter pill for people here to swallow but the reality of the situation nonetheless.

Cry Havoc
01-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Kobe with no hall of fame teammate and $91,000,000 in team salary, with a starting 5 that makes more than every NBA 12-man roster except for the top 6 other payrolls in the league.

Ftfy.

On the subject of Kobe Bryant's current streak of greatness...

Dude's a legend literally carving out his place in history right now as we speak. If he propels the Lakers to the Finals again this season he will be the first superstar to carry a team there 4 consecutive years since Magic Johnson+Kareem Lakers from 82-85 and the Larry Bird Celtics from 84-87. Everyone knows those teams had 3 hall of famers each whereas Kobe is the lone Superstar player on the Lakers making this feat that much more impressive.

A bitter pill for people here to swallow but the reality of the situation nonetheless.

Lakers starting 5: $70.96 million dollars annual salary.

The Atlanta Hawks, the 8th highest payroll in the NBA's (entire team) salary: $69,371,770.

Truly a stunning feat by Kobe.

duhoh
01-19-2011, 12:03 PM

:tu

ElNono
01-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Did you really just post that Kobe doesn't have League and Finals MVPs?

Lol! Seriously, seek help with your delusion little guy. The koolaid is now flowing through your veins. :lmao

We've talking about Stars that earned them while three-peating... you need to get up to speed before looking like a buffoon (as usual)

:lol Just how dumb are you?

history2b
01-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Ftfy.

Lakers starting 5: $70.96 million dollars annual salary.

The Atlanta Hawks, the 8th highest payroll in the NBA's (entire team) salary: $69,371,770.

Truly a stunning feat by Kobe.

So his teammates are a bit overpaid... that provides ZERO insight if we are analyzing the team from a historical perspective. From a historical perspective Kobe Bryant has less star power help than any other Superstar player with the same relative success.

Everyone else had 2 HOF players alongside them

Jordan: Pippen - Rodman
Magic: Kareem - Worthy
Bird: Mchale - Parish
Russell: Havlicek - Jones - Cousy

history2b
01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
We've talking about Stars that earned them while three-peating... you need to get up to speed before looking like a buffoon (as usual)

:lol Just how dumb are you?

Exactly.

Look up delusional disorder under the category of mental health. It may be the most important thing you do for yourself.

ElNono
01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Dude's a legend :blah :blah :blah

Dude will be remembered as the player that tried the hardest to imitate Jordan, but came up short. There's no coming back from missing the playoffs and quitting on your team on a closeout game. Neither Kobe, the arrival of Odom nor Bynum made the Lakers a contender. It was Gasol, the true team superstar, that made it happen. It's patently clear that when Gasol struggles, so does the Lakers.

ElNono
01-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Exactly.

Look up delusional disorder under the category of mental health. It may be the most important thing you do for yourself.

So you were wrong, and you're not gonna man up and accept it.

Exactly. :lol

LnGrrrR
01-19-2011, 12:37 PM
true, but championships in the era of 8 - 10 NBA teams aren't truly comparable to those in today's era of 30 teams.

Right, but OP mentioned starting at 1966, a very specific year, for a very obviously transparent reason.

Cry Havoc
01-19-2011, 12:52 PM
So his teammates are a bit overpaid... that provides ZERO insight if we are analyzing the team from a historical perspective. From a historical perspective Kobe Bryant has less star power help than any other Superstar player with the same relative success.

:lmao

You aren't worth responding to with posts like this. Yeah. Kobe has always got the short shaft on having quality teammates. :lmao

ElNono
01-19-2011, 01:08 PM
tbh, if Kobe doesn't coattail Superstars like Shaq or Gasol, he would be another T-Mac right now...

history2b
01-19-2011, 01:13 PM

You aren't worth responding to with posts like this. Yeah. Kobe has always got the short shaft on having quality teammates. :lmao

Kobe has good teammates.

But the point I made was that none are Hall of Fame caliber. If you'd like to dispute that point, feel free, the mic is all yours Cry_Baby.

The Celtics currently have several Hall of Famers. The Heat appear to have 2 maybe 3 right now as well.

Again, if we look at this from a historical perspective not the typical short-sighted bitter Spurs fanboy perspective, this is the logical conclusion to be derived.

history2b
01-19-2011, 01:34 PM

Time for logical dismantling of ElHomo...

A coat-tail rider like Kobe not only runs the star player out of town he proceeds to become the league's consensus best player, wins an MVP of the league, leads his team to 3 straight NBA Finals, winning the last 2 including back to back Finals MVPs.

Yup, just like Pippen post-Jordan....

Only on Spurstalk does delusion of this nature exist.

TipsytheLurker
01-19-2011, 01:38 PM

So which of Kobe's starting teammates are overpaid? Gasol, Artest, Fisher, Odom/Bynum?

Hemotivo
01-19-2011, 01:41 PM

Spur_Fanatic
01-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Noticed he placed Kobe above Pippen? Yet Pippen has more rings.

Also, I loved the "and counting" for Kobe... because championships are sure things, right?

Oh, and best part, asking everyone to recognize all he said as facts, because if not, we are not basketball fans, when he can't be called one neither.

history2b
01-19-2011, 01:48 PM
So which of Kobe's starting teammates are overpaid? Gasol, Artest, Fisher, Odom/Bynum?

Bynum for sure. Gasol and Fish slightly.

Spur_Fanatic
01-19-2011, 01:49 PM
BTW, Shaq was the main star of the Lakers team on their three-peat. Of course, a Laker fan will tell you otherwise now, when back then they were all over Shaq's "greatness". Back then, Kobe was awesome too, ofc.

But, Shaq was the best player on his position. The best big.
People were already talking about him being one of the greatest ever. I'm sorry, I don't remember people saying that about Kobe back then. Sure, maybe now, but not then.

ChrisRichards
01-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Why does your COOL starts with a K?

Are you a Klan member?

history2b
01-19-2011, 02:22 PM
BTW, Shaq was the main star of the Lakers team on their three-peat. Of course, a Laker fan will tell you otherwise now, when back then they were all over Shaq's "greatness". Back then, Kobe was awesome too, ofc.

But, Shaq was the best player on his position. The best big.
People were already talking about him being one of the greatest ever. I'm sorry, I don't remember people saying that about Kobe back then. Sure, maybe now, but not then.

What people were "saying" is irrelevant. What was taking place on the floor is another story.

There is a reason why the 2001 Lakers were arguably the best playoff team in the modern era. Dominance in the post and the perimeter in conjunction.

Spur_Fanatic
01-19-2011, 02:34 PM
That's what happened back then. I'm not making this up, right?
When you mention Shaq to someone now, they think of the Celtic's Shaq. Shaq, back in 1999-2003 was a freaking force of nature. Kobe was awesome, mind you. But I find it hilarious that someone is trying to convince us that Kobe was at an equal footing with Shaq back then.

diego
01-19-2011, 02:40 PM
According to Jackson, in Bryant's exit interview with him he stated that O'Neal's fate with the Lakers would affect his decision to return, saying "I'm tired of being a sidekick." Later in a phone call with Lakers owner Jerry Buss, Jackson recounts Buss's explanation of the team's preference for Bryant rather than O'Neal, of which Jackson disapproved: "It's not that I'm enamored with Kobe's character. But he is twenty-six in August. The seven years ahead are the prime years of his career....I have to serve the people who are loyal to me. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Season:_A_Team_in_Search_of_Its_Soul)

LkrFan
01-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Ftfy.

Lakers starting 5: $70.96 million dollars annual salary..
Now he is bringing salary into the mix? :lmao Refute what I said: Bird and his two top 50 all-time teammates couldn't repeat. Kobe, without a hall of fame teammate repeated. GTFO here with that shit.

And the Knicks have had high salaries perennially. Why haven't they won? They are the largest market in all the land. They haven't won in over 35 years so don't hate on Kobe because he has team built around him that complements him well. Don't blame Kobe, blame the Lakers' front office - be it the Logo or the underrated Mitch MF'n "Kupcake" :lol

I like your spin though. The first argument was that Kobe couldn't win without Shaq. Now Shaq's gone and now he is "coat tailing" Gasol? When Kobe (not Gasol) is the clear cut HOFer and alpha dog on the team? Man you cowtippers will stop at nothing to disregard what Kobe has done. :lmao

Respect Kobe, even if you hate him. :toast

history2b
01-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Now he is bringing salary into the mix? :lmao Refute what I said: Bird and his two top 50 all-time teammates couldn't repeat. Kobe, without a hall of fame teammate repeated. GTFO here with that shit.

And the Knicks have had high salaries perennially. Why haven't they won? They are the largest market in all the land. They haven't won in over 35 years so don't hate on Kobe because he has team built around him that complements him well. Don't blame Kobe, blame the Lakers' front office - be it the Logo or the underrated Mitch MF'n "Kupcake" :lol

I like your spin though. The first argument was that Kobe couldn't win without Shaq. Now Shaq's gone and now he is "coat tailing" Gasol? When Kobe (not Gasol) is the clear cut HOFer and alpha dog on the team? Man you cowtippers will stop at nothing to disregard what Kobe has done. :lmao

Well his first error was his math.

The Lakers starting 5 salary is $66.5 Million not 70+

Next, you can't count Kobe's salary of 24.8M to that if we're talking about his "help" idiots.

ambchang
01-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Kobe has good teammates.

But the point I made was that none are Hall of Fame caliber. If you'd like to dispute that point, feel free, the mic is all yours Cry_Baby.

The Celtics currently have several Hall of Famers. The Heat appear to have 2 maybe 3 right now as well.

Again, if we look at this from a historical perspective not the typical short-sighted bitter Spurs fanboy perspective, this is the logical conclusion to be derived.

Pau Gasol has a pretty good chance of making the Hall, if only for his international resume.

Phil Jackson will definitley be in the Hall, even though he's making it as a coach.

And from how Laker fans act right now, Bynum, being the best center ever despite his 10/7 average, has to make it.

EDIT: Celtics have HoF players, but Shaq is a million miles removed from his prime, Garnett is way past his prime, Pierce is slightly past, and only Rondo is in his prime, but his accomplishments so far is not putting him in the Hall.

As for the Heat, Wade is in, Lebron is in, but Bosh will not be able to make it, ever. He has proven that he is an all-star level talent on a horrible team, and a 3rd option on a good (maybe great) team. Unless you are on legendary great teams, like the 80's Celtics and Lakers and make obvious contributions to title runs, a 3rd option is not going to get you into the Hall.

LnGrrrR
01-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Kobe is a great player, and an All-Time great.

That doesn't differentiate from the fact that the OP is stupid, and makes no sense.

diego
01-19-2011, 05:24 PM

explain then why he shot 37% and was 2 baskets away from getting swept when he had 3 HOF players next to him (more than Bird), against a team that had NONE?

the HOF tag is irrelevant if you dont consider what stage of their careers the players are in, and the opposition they faced

ElNono
01-19-2011, 05:49 PM
A coat-tail rider like Kobe not only runs the star player out of town he proceeds to become the league's consensus best player, wins an MVP of the league, leads his team to 3 straight NBA Finals, winning the last 2 including back to back Finals MVPs.

Yup, just like Pippen post-Jordan....

Only on Spurstalk does delusion of this nature exist.

Time to refresh history2bs memory...

The only thing second-fiddle Bean ran out of town was his own chances of winning shit. Shaq moved on to Miami to win another 'ship, further cementing the realities of who was the real superstar.

Much like Pippen when MJ left to try out for baseball, he wasn't good enough to win it all without coattailing. The difference being that Pippen didn't whine like a bitch, demand to be traded, threw his teammates under the bus, or missed the playoffs.

Second-fiddle Bean resurrected his career coattailing on another future HOF in Gasol. Then again, this thread is about stars who've 3-peated... second-fiddle Bean has not 3-peated being the star, thus, much like Pips, doesn't really qualifies.

Cry Havoc
01-19-2011, 05:53 PM

The only thing second-fiddle Bean ran out of town was his own chances of winning shit. Shaq moved on to Miami to win another 'ship, further cementing the realities of who was the real superstar.

Much like Pippen when MJ left to try out for baseball, he wasn't good enough to win it all without coattailing. The difference being that Pippen didn't whine like a bitch, demand to be traded, threw his teammates under the bus, or missed the playoffs.

Second-fiddle Bean resurrected his career coattailing on another future HOF in Gasol. Then again, this thread is about stars who've 3-peated... second-fiddle Bean has not 3-peated being the star, thus, much like Pips, doesn't really qualifies.

:lmao @ Laker fans throwing Gasol under the bus in order to elevate Kobe's status as an all-time great. This is a true testament to just how convoluted and twisted Laker fan is. They would rather believe in the deity of one player rather than the greatness of their team, so they can get off to Kobe's perceived status as an all-time great. I've never seen any other fanbase in the history of sports perform this feat en masse like Laker fan does. I seriously think that if they could sacrifice a title in order to get Bryant 50 points per game for a season and make him one of the top 3 all time players, a lot of them would seriously consider it.

:lmao @ Kobe is playing with "0 HoFers" right now, after Shaq, after Gasol's All-Star appearances, and Laker fans bragging about how dominant they will be with Bynum the "2nd best big man in the West" on their team.

DMC
01-19-2011, 05:59 PM
That's what happened back then. I'm not making this up, right?
When you mention Shaq to someone now, they think of the Celtic's Shaq. Shaq, back in 1999-2003 was a freaking force of nature. Kobe was awesome, mind you. But I find it hilarious that someone is trying to convince us that Kobe was at an equal footing with Shaq back then.A lot of people seem to forget that. Shaq couldn't be stopped. I don't mean it took three people, but that he could not be stopped. You just had to accept it and the hack-a-Shaq was born which was his Kryptonite. No other player that I know of has a defensive scheme designed just to stop them. There are plenty of great offensive players, but there's never, since Wilt, been that kind of presence in the paint and might never be again.

Were it not for Kobe being a ball hog, the Lakers might have won 4 straight. Dump it down low and you are almost guaranteed 2 and maybe even a trip to the line. The other bigs get into foul trouble and the game momentum favors the Lakers.

Shaq goes 53 - 84 for the series, Kobe? 43 -113.

Kobe was 4 -23 from 3.

Doesn't sound like MJ to me.

Man In Black
01-19-2011, 06:57 PM

Then why do the bulk of you LAL Bandwagon ejaculates do just that when you talk about 99?

Man In Black
01-19-2011, 07:05 PM
BULLSHIT NO ONE CARES ABOUT
Why should your lameass opinion ever be considered? I mean hell, weren't you the one(you know you are) who said the Spurs are no longer contenders?
Some diatribe in which you laid out all these issues to which I add, were already addressed and now Spurs Fan is laughing hard at you and at your dumb fuck stupidity.
:lmao Tobey...what little game you had, has gone away. Perhaps the 4 letter cesspool is where you should stay. Run along Tobey, now run along pussy, good :cat

Giuseppe
01-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Then why do the bulk of you LAL Bandwagon ejaculates do just that when you talk about 99?

I never taint your '99 ring. It's as legitimate as every other ring in NBA history.

I don't speak for anybody else. & as a rule I don't speak against my Lakers brethren. It's my religion.

Killakobe81
01-19-2011, 07:23 PM

LOL ROFL CROFL :lol :rollin:blah

Giuseppe
01-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Boiled down:::

Kobe: 2

Daddy: 1

ElNono
01-19-2011, 07:49 PM
LOL ROFL CROFL :lol :rollin:blah

ElNono
01-19-2011, 07:53 PM
On a more serious note, it's funny how this clown talks about Kobe not having HOF teammates, while conveniently 'forgetting' the season that included Shaq, Malone & Payton.

I mean, if that wasn't extreme coattailing (not just by Kobe), I don't know what to tell you. :lol

Giuseppe
01-19-2011, 07:54 PM
You want me to boil it down again, El, is that what you want?

Or, do you want me to start talking in my Italian dialect?

Keep it up.

ElNono
01-19-2011, 07:59 PM
You want me to boil it down again, El, is that what you want?

Or, do you want me to start talking in my Italian dialect?

Keep it up.

Parla bambino, parla. Io sono italiano vero!

LkrFan
01-20-2011, 04:44 AM
explain then why he shot 37% and was 2 baskets away from getting swept when he had 3 HOF players next to him (more than Bird), against a team that had NONE?

the HOF tag is irrelevant if you dont consider what stage of their careers the players are in, and the opposition they faced
Shaq was the only legit HOFer we had. After Malone went down I knew he wouldn't come back the same. As far as his shooting %, Kobe can be his own worst enemy. Tay Prince was a pretty good defender in his own right, but next to the Wallace brothers he looked like NBA All Defense 1st team. Kobe should have noticed that and adjusted. But then again, what were his options? Shaq was tipping the scales at 400+ lbs, Payton didn't know the offense (and was shitted on by Bubububillipps), and Malone was a gimp.

The HOF tag is not irrelevant. Bird and McHale were in their primes (unlike Payton and Malone when they were Lakers). Parish was still good (he played 20+ years IIRC). All in all, they still couldn't get it done. No excuses because they were STACKED. The '86 Celtics and '87 Lakers were two of the best teams in NBA history. So I guess I can't blame that trio because that '87 team went on to repeat.

LkrFan
01-20-2011, 04:54 AM
:lmao @ Laker fans throwing Gasol under the bus in order to elevate Kobe's status as an all-time great. This is a true testament to just how convoluted and twisted Laker fan is. They would rather believe in the deity of one player rather than the greatness of their team, so they can get off to Kobe's perceived status as an all-time great. I've never seen any other fanbase in the history of sports perform this feat en masse like Laker fan does. I seriously think that if they could sacrifice a title in order to get Bryant 50 points per game for a season and make him one of the top 3 all time players, a lot of them would seriously consider it.

:lmao @ Kobe is playing with "0 HoFers" right now, after Shaq, after Gasol's All-Star appearances, and Laker fans bragging about how dominant they will be with Bynum the "2nd best big man in the West" on their team.

Not throwing Pau under the bus. Before LA, he made one all star appearance (2001?), won zero playoff games. With LA he won 2 rings and had 2 all star appearances.

If Pau were to stop playing right now, is he a lock for the HOF? I'm not so sure. But the fact remains - he is not a clear cut HOFer right now. That may change if he helps us ring this year, but if I were to guess, he might sneak in right now given his body of work so far.

PS - I was a Laker fan well before Kobe and will be one long after he retires. I will support any current Laker and will defend him to the death when it warrants it. The name on the front of the jersey is more important to me than the name on the back.

Man In Black
01-20-2011, 05:43 AM
But then again, what were his options? Shaq was tipping the scales at 400+ lbs, Payton didn't know the offense (and was shitted on by Bubububillipps), and Malone was a gimp.

His option is always the same. To faciliate an offense using key pieces at his disposal or to chuck it all for the greater glory of all that is Bean. It's well documented that he does that. His 1 against 5 diatribe was really easy to see against those Pistons. Again, an essential 5 game sweep. But if you look at the numbers:
http://www.nba.com/finals2004/
The way you post it, you make it seem as if Shaq was very ineffective when in reality, he averaged the following numbers for the Finals:

LAKERS
S. O'Neal
26.6 Points
10.8 Rebounds
1.6 Assists

K. Bryant
22.6 Points
2.8 Rebounds
4.4 Assists

For the entire playoff run:
21.5 Points
13.2 Rebounds
1.9 Assists
At a 59.3% FG Clip

Boy Blunder:
24.5 Points
4.7 Rebounds
5.5 Assists
at a 41.3% Clip

Whether you realize it or not, Bean Boy decided that the Finals MVP was his for the taking. He didn't want to take a backseat to Shaq, even though, Shaq, who according to you was fat and ineffective-I mean that's what you're saying when you add 400 pounds as a descriptor, was the teams best weapon inside.

Had Bean used Shaq more effectively, garnered at least 2 more assists per game to Shaq, and more importantly, took less shots. The outcome could have been different. In essence, Boy Blunder Bean sabotaged the team for his own selfish want of the Finals MVP. A finals series that LA was HEAVILY favored to win.

diego
01-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Shaq was the only legit HOFer we had. After Malone went down I knew he wouldn't come back the same. As far as his shooting %, Kobe can be his own worst enemy. Tay Prince was a pretty good defender in his own right, but next to the Wallace brothers he looked like NBA All Defense 1st team. Kobe should have noticed that and adjusted. But then again, what were his options? Shaq was tipping the scales at 400+ lbs, Payton didn't know the offense (and was shitted on by Bubububillipps), and Malone was a gimp.

The HOF tag is not irrelevant. Bird and McHale were in their primes (unlike Payton and Malone when they were Lakers). Parish was still good (he played 20+ years IIRC). All in all, they still couldn't get it done. No excuses because they were STACKED. The '86 Celtics and '87 Lakers were two of the best teams in NBA history. So I guess I can't blame that trio because that '87 team went on to repeat.

ah, so you decide which are legit and which aren't? you can't have it both ways. the celtics had injuries too. and they faced great teams, something Kobe's lakers cant say, neither as sidekick or alpha dog. The 04 pistons were great but they weren't the showtime lakers. (oh and :lol at super Tay with wallace and wallace behind him, who got destroyed by manu ginobili the year after. is manu>kobe because of that? MiB already made it clear his option was Shaq who was still a god damn monster)
In 09 nearly every good team was struggling with injuries, Kobe's team beat pretender teams like boozer's jazz, yao/tmac less rockets, billups-melo nuggets (IIRC Melo had some ankle problems during that series), dwight howards magic (with a gimpy nelson to boot), all flash in the pan teams. none of those teams were better than the 04 pistons, much less the magic-kareem lakers or Dr.J's sixers. Perkins missed as many games as Malone did in 04, one. How are those circumstances any different from your injury excuses and "legit HOF" / "non legit "HOF" qualifiers

so decide. either kobe was not good enough to win 4 HOFers to 0, and the celtics not good enough to repeat with 3 HOFers, or maybe you have to consider what stage in their careers the players were in, what injuries they had, and who their opponent was.

LkrFan
01-21-2011, 07:32 AM
His option is always the same. To faciliate an offense using key pieces at his disposal or to chuck it all for the greater glory of all that is Bean. It's well documented that he does that. His 1 against 5 diatribe was really easy to see against those Pistons. Again, an essential 5 game sweep. But if you look at the numbers:
http://www.nba.com/finals2004/
The way you post it, you make it seem as if Shaq was very ineffective when in reality, he averaged the following numbers for the Finals:

LAKERS
S. O'Neal
26.6 Points
10.8 Rebounds
1.6 Assists

K. Bryant
22.6 Points
2.8 Rebounds
4.4 Assists

For the entire playoff run:
21.5 Points
13.2 Rebounds
1.9 Assists
At a 59.3% FG Clip

Boy Blunder:
24.5 Points
4.7 Rebounds
5.5 Assists
at a 41.3% Clip

Whether you realize it or not, Bean Boy decided that the Finals MVP was his for the taking. He didn't want to take a backseat to Shaq, even though, Shaq, who according to you was fat and ineffective-I mean that's what you're saying when you add 400 pounds as a descriptor, was the teams best weapon inside.

Had Bean used Shaq more effectively, garnered at least 2 more assists per game to Shaq, and more importantly, took less shots. The outcome could have been different. In essence, Boy Blunder Bean sabotaged the team for his own selfish want of the Finals MVP. A finals series that LA was HEAVILY favored to win.
Kobe's game has matured since then. He was a stubborn superstar that failed to fully utilize his teammates. It was part of his maturation process.

There were several factors that contributed to what I would call the worst Finals in Lakers' history. The Lakers didn't play well as a team and part of that blame has to fall on Kobe. Kobe has learned from it and the Lakers are now better for it and are now perennial contenders. Kobe is a major reason why because he has learned from his previous failures.

LkrFan
01-21-2011, 07:37 AM
ah, so you decide which are legit and which aren't? you can't have it both ways. the celtics had injuries too. and they faced great teams, something Kobe's lakers cant say, neither as sidekick or alpha dog. The 04 pistons were great but they weren't the showtime lakers. (oh and :lol at super Tay with wallace and wallace behind him, who got destroyed by manu ginobili the year after. is manu>kobe because of that? MiB already made it clear his option was Shaq who was still a god damn monster)
In 09 nearly every good team was struggling with injuries, Kobe's team beat pretender teams like boozer's jazz, yao/tmac less rockets, billups-melo nuggets (IIRC Melo had some ankle problems during that series), dwight howards magic (with a gimpy nelson to boot), all flash in the pan teams. none of those teams were better than the 04 pistons, much less the magic-kareem lakers or Dr.J's sixers. Perkins missed as many games as Malone did in 04, one. How are those circumstances any different from your injury excuses and "legit HOF" / "non legit "HOF" qualifiers

so decide. either kobe was not good enough to win 4 HOFers to 0, and the celtics not good enough to repeat with 3 HOFers, or maybe you have to consider what stage in their careers the players were in, what injuries they had, and who their opponent was.
Injuries are part of basketball, so don't make them as an excuse. Hell, if dumbass Riley didn't run his team ragged (they were off over a week after sweeping the WC), they would have ended the '89 season as a 3peat champion.

Mr.Robinson
01-21-2011, 09:32 AM
This is a sacred and highly exclusive club of players... these are hallowed records and absolutely phenomenal and if nothing else if we’re truly basketball fans like we claim to be then surely we’ll put our team pride aside and recognize these great players for this rare accomplishment. This is not a knock against other players who maybe won a title or even went back to back it’s simply to recognize a ‘SPECIAL GROUP’ that 100 yrs from now will be recognized as the founding fathers of sorts.

Baseball has Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron, Football has Joe Montana and Jerry Rice and Basketball will have:

RANKED IN ORDER OF GREATNESS (thus far):lol :

6 Rings - Michael Jordan
5 Rings (and counting) Kobe Bryant
6 Rings - Scottie Pippen
4 Rings - Shaq O’Neal

Now depending on your perspective you may have a ton of negative things to say about these particular players but the NBA record books don't lie. In fact I'd venture to say if you're building an All-Time team it wouldn't matter who else you threw in this starting line-up.

Note: Kobe is the youngest player in the history of the league to have 3-peated and he’s aiming to become the youngest in the history to have 3-peated twice.

“This isn’t going to be easy,” Bryant said. “If it was easy to three-peat, you’d see a lot of teams do it in the past.

That’s why so few teams have been able to do it.” - Kobe Bryant

Pippen>kobe

Cry Havoc
01-21-2011, 09:38 AM
This is a true testament to just how convoluted and twisted Laker fan is. They would rather believe in the deity of one player rather than the greatness of their team, so they can get off to Kobe's perceived status as an all-time great.

diego
01-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Injuries are part of basketball, so don't make them as an excuse. Hell, if dumbass Riley didn't run his team ragged (they were off over a week after sweeping the WC), they would have ended the '89 season as a 3peat champion.

was Malone a "legit" HOF or a "gimp", make up your mind. I never said anything about injuries until you did.

Kobe + 2 HOF bigs and a HOF pg <<<<< 5 non HOF

Man In Black
01-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Kobe's game has matured since then. He was a stubborn superstar that failed to fully utilize his teammates. It was part of his maturation process.

There were several factors that contributed to what I would call the worst Finals in Lakers' history. The Lakers didn't play well as a team and part of that blame has to fall on Kobe. Kobe has learned from it and the Lakers are now better for it and are now perennial contenders. Kobe is a major reason why because he has learned from his previous failures.

It's the bolded part I want you to answer. You said part. I'm wondering if you'll quantify just how large? Would you say 10, 25, 50 or 75%?

DMC
01-21-2011, 11:03 AM
tbh, if Kobe doesn't coattail Superstars like Shaq or Gasol, he would be another T-Mac right now...
Shaq actually beat Jordan to make it to the Finals. Kobe has never been to the Finals without Shaq or Pau.

The thing about Kobe is that it's really easy to root for the guy because of his aggression and poise, but it's hard to root for him at the same time because the Laker fans are such dickheads.