PDA

View Full Version : DP Show debate: Kevin Love or Blake Griffin?

Creation88
01-18-2011, 09:43 PM
if you could take either one on the Spurs right now who would you take and why? :downspin:

concken
01-18-2011, 09:45 PM
KL rebounds!

8FOR!3
01-18-2011, 09:48 PM
I'll take Blake Griffin and his upside, but Kevin Love's rebounds would be nice.

it's me
01-18-2011, 09:48 PM
For the Spurs.......KL no questions.

Blackjack
01-18-2011, 09:49 PM
The only way you don't take Griffin is if you believe he's frail and gonna wind up debilitated by injury.

I love me some Kevin Love but he ain't a franchise centerpiece, not if you're hoping to win a title . . .

Creation88
01-18-2011, 09:49 PM
they had a pretty interesting debate on the Dan Patrick show today. most people would take Griffin (highlight reel) but I was wondering if the smart basketball fan (and i consider most Spurs fans to be smart) would take Kevin Love. but maybe that's just me.

DesignatedT
01-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Griffin is the better talent with more upside (especially defensively). Only thing about him is how long will he be able to play like this without injury.

Dex
01-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Still wonder how long Griffin can keep jumping like that without blowing another gasket.

Going with the rebounder here.

Mel_13
01-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Griffin. He can be a true franchise player. Love can be an important part of championship team, but never the most important part.

Dex
01-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Apparently not the only one's discussing this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/576648-blake-griffin-carmelo-anthony-lebron-james-and-tuesdays-top-nba-news/entry/42961-blake-griffin-who-would-you-rather-have-blake-griffin-or-kevin-love

Blake Griffin: Who Would You Rather Have Blake Griffin Or Kevin Love?
By Adam Wells (Featured Columnist) on January 18, 2011

Blake Griffin: Who Would You Rather Have Blake Griffin Or Kevin Love?

Listening to Dan Patrick's National Radio show this morning, they posed an interesting question: Would you rather have Blake Griffin or Kevin Love?

Blake Griffin is having a fantastic rookie season for the Los Angeles Clippers. He makes spectacular dunks and often times leads Sportscenter highlights. He had arguably his best game yet on Monday against the Indiana Pacers when he scored 47 points and grabbed 14 rebounds. For the year he is averaging 23 points and 13 rebounds per game.

Kevin Love is having a season for the ages with Minnesota. If he can keep his averages where they are at right now (21.2 points and 15.7 rebounds) he will be the first player since Moses Malone in 1982. He is having a historic season for a bad team.

You probably couldn't go wrong with either player because they both do a number of great things. The slight edge goes to Love because he is a better pure shooter. Griffin is shooting 53 percent from the floor but a lot of his points come right at the basket. Love can shoot from anywhere on the floor and he is very good. He is shooting 47 percent overall from the field and 44 percent from three-point range.

Plus, Griffin is a great free-throw shooter, over 87 percent on the season. Until Griffin establishes that he can shoot, Love is the better option.

But like I said before, if I had to settle for one or the other I wouldn't cry about it.

Dex
01-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Just to add some fuel to to the fire, Blake Griffin is currently at +26.15 for his overall EFF rating.

Kevin Love is +28.95

For comparison, that is ahead of Kobe, Durant, Melo, and Amare, and in the ballpark of Lebron's +26.42.

Dice
01-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Kevin Love is a perfect fit with any other player out there. He doesn't need the ball to perform. His shooting range is fantastic for a big. His style of play will let him have a long career.

Griffen is a highlight reel and will fill seats. But he needs the ball to shine. that might keep him from being a good pairing for certain other big time players in the league. And there's always going to be the injury factor and the fact that his game is built around his athleticism. McDyess could tell him some stories.

Put Love on a team with a pure scorer. Maybe like a Kobe. He has confidence in his shot. But let him know he's got a Kevin Love under the basket and his confidence goes up knowing there's a good chance if he misses, Love's gonna get him another shot.

I can see Love being a really good fit on almost any team.

jestersmash
01-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Blake Griffin is a terrific rebounder as well, and he doesn't have to often foul (and get away with it) like Kevin Love to get his rebounds either.

I'd pick BL for upside and longevity.

SequSpur
01-18-2011, 10:52 PM
BG is a fucking beast...

TDMVPDPOY
01-18-2011, 10:58 PM
its fkn bs how they call out love posting up big numbers on a bad team, so i suppose KG isnt the same when he posted those type of numbers when he was a wolve

DMC
01-18-2011, 11:11 PM
its fkn bs how they call out love posting up big numbers on a bad team, so i suppose KG isnt the same when he posted those type of numbers when he was a wolve
You mean a wolf? :)

itzsoweezee
01-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Looks like there's a whole lot of stupid people on this board. Is there any way to see which posters voted for which option? Because I'm putting anyone who picked Kevin Love on my ignore list.

Griffin is arguably having the greatest rookie season of all time. Meanwhile, Love probably can't guard a wet paper bag. Get the fuck outta here.

Dice
01-18-2011, 11:31 PM

No one had heard of KG before he became a Celtic. It's not like he was ever a fan voted All-star and all around popular player in the league. Never made the Olympic team or got his face on a video game. He never got any hype at all...

Love's rebounding like Rodman and averaging over 20 points a game. He deserves any talk he's getting.

Dice
01-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Looks like there's a whole lot of stupid people on this board. Is there any way to see which posters voted for which option? Because I'm putting anyone who picked Kevin Love on my ignore list.

Griffin is arguably having the greatest rookie season of all time. Meanwhile, Love probably can't guard a wet paper bag. Get the fuck outta here.

You can add me but I don't really post much anyway.

baseline bum
01-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Griffin is looking like the best big man since Duncan. I'm a big Kevin Love fan (especially since he's a Bruin), but Griffin is a young Karl Malone with the athleticism of Seattle Shawn Kemp thrown in. Griffin easily.

dbestpro
01-19-2011, 12:40 AM
Griffen is an athlete plain and simple and can jump out of the gym. To shut him down you simply do not let him drive as his outside shot is no where near Love's shot. Love is also a better rebounder and team player. Griffen makes the highlight reel while Love makes the play. By far Love is the better fit for the Spurs.

it's me
01-19-2011, 12:55 AM
You can add me but I don't really post much anyway.

TDMVPDPOY
01-19-2011, 01:09 AM
i take love also, he could spread the floor or come in and rebound

Mugen
01-19-2011, 01:10 AM
Blake Griffin is less white than Kevin Love.

I'm taking Griffin.

TD 21
01-19-2011, 01:11 AM
The only way you don't take Griffin is if you believe he's frail and gonna wind up debilitated by injury.

I love me some Kevin Love but he ain't a franchise centerpiece, not if you're hoping to win a title . . .

Exactly.

It's funny that these two are lumped into the same category now, because in two years people will laugh if anyone mentions them in the same breathe. And that's not an indictment of Love.

Love is a very good player who's got every other year All-Star (once he's on a credible team) written all over him. Griffin is a perennial All-Star who's got future Hall-of-Famer written all over him. Only a debilitating injury keeps him from becoming that, most likely.

Even with his recklessness a concern (debilitating injury or not, he's like the Wade of big men; good as he already is and great as he's going to be, I don't know how many great seasons he'll have in him playing that way), his upside is so immense that you'd be a fool to pass him up.

This reminds me of Howard-Okafor. Granted, Love is a better player than Okafor, but you don't pass up a Hall-of-Fame talent for a very good player. The whole "I'd take Love's rebounds" argument doesn't fly, because Griffin is an elite glass cleaner himself. Like Love, his rebound rate is in excess of 20%.

FkLA
01-19-2011, 01:24 AM

KG's twolves were a playoff team practically every single yr during his prime, also he was and still is an all-world defender. Love cannot claim either of those things.

His offense isnt even all that great either, he doesnt have much of a post game due to his lack of athleticism and his height. Alot of his shots are set up or come off offensive rebounds. He's like David West + rebounding & better range...a very good player sure but certainly not a franchise player like Griffin.

mingus
01-19-2011, 01:30 AM
Griffin. scoring wise, i think he's got the potential to be better than Amare Stoudamire, which is saying a lot because Amare is a scoring machine. he's got Amare's athleticism and touch near the rim to go along with Karl Malone's strength. damn. he'll be a helluva rebounder as well. defensively, he has all the physical tools to be great. the only thing Love will have over him is rebounding.

Sisk
01-19-2011, 02:24 AM

That's why I chose love.

He doesn't need to be a centerpiece. The OP states right now.

01-19-2011, 02:35 AM
rather roll the die on griffin. would extend the championship window, spurs win this year, duncan comes back for two more and 3peats with griffin.

MI21
01-19-2011, 03:34 AM
Griffin is young Amare' on offense but with rebounding.

If he ever gets something resembling Amare's jumpshot, improve his FT's 10-15% and become merely a slightly above average defender, no reason why he can't be the best player in the league.

I take him over Love, no questions asked.

UnWantedTheory
01-19-2011, 04:07 AM
I'm not sure how we can determine who will have more of an impact just yet. Love is only in his 3rd year & playing great on a bad team, but people say he is not a franchise player. Although Blake missed his first season with an injury, he is having a great "rookie" year on a bad team. I think we should level the playing field opinion wise & just see who does what. How about that? I like Love for potential longevity, as he does not rely on freakish athleticism. Blake on the otherhand, is really beasting it up, atm. One is a 22 year old "rookie" & the other is 22 in his 3rd year...there is no way to tell who will develop better.

UnWantedTheory
01-19-2011, 04:07 AM
EDIT: Whoops! Double post.

UnWantedTheory
01-19-2011, 04:10 AM
Griffin. scoring wise, i think he's got the potential to be better than Amare Stoudamire, which is saying a lot because Amare is a scoring machine. he's got Amare's athleticism and touch near the rim to go along with Karl Malone's strength. damn. he'll be a helluva rebounder as well. defensively, he has all the physical tools to be great. the only thing Love will have over him is rebounding.
...and shooting.

NZ Spurs
01-19-2011, 05:14 AM
Love gets rebounds because the T-Wolves miss a lot of shots, the Spurs do not. Blair would be a double double guy on the T-Wolves.

Bukefal
01-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Right now, Love definitely. He has been beastin for two seasons now. Great player, very underrated.

Griffin is a beast too, but the Griffin hype is so huge these days because of his awesome dunks.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-19-2011, 06:16 AM
I'd take Love, even though odds are Griffin is more talented and has better upside. Still though, I think Love has more to his game than Griffin and Griffin has a long way until he learns how to be a great defender and get a jump shot. It's more about potential for him, whereas with Love you get it all already (almost) refined, bar the defence, which he doesn't have the tools Griffin has.

Love will also likely have a longer productive career as he doesn't rely on athleticism nearly as much. Griffin is a knee injury away from being another McDyess (or Amare, I know). Love is much more a sure thing and a finished product, Griffin is all about upside. For a rebuilding franchise, starting anew, he's probably the better choice, but I like Love's game much more.

SpursIndonesia
01-19-2011, 07:01 AM
If you already have a Batman that is a dominant person (cough, Kobe, cough), then Love is a nicer option, especially from team effectiveness & chemistry points of view. But if you want a true franchise player (with all the risks involved), Griffin is the right choice.

100%duncan
01-19-2011, 07:06 AM
kl for me

ambchang
01-19-2011, 08:50 AM
As a player, Griffin every time.

But for the Spurs right now? I'd take Love by a hair.

1) Better rebounder
2) Better outside shooter to open up the lanes for drives
3) Allows Duncan to move back to PF

Of course, Griffin is:
1) A better defender
2) Better passer
3) Way better finisher/scorer

Ultimately, I felt the gain in defense and passing from Griffin over Love is minimal, and the Spurs have enough scorers as is.

coyotes_geek
01-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Starting a team from scratch = Griffin

Looking for a guy to add to this current Spurs roster = Love

Pero
01-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Starting a team from scratch = Griffin

Looking for a guy to add to this current Spurs roster = Love

Well duh, since Griffin wouldn't crack the rotation because he doesn't shoot three pointers.

Creation88
01-19-2011, 09:49 AM
great reads guys. i agree with a lot of the opinions here. Griffin's frailty is a big turn off and if you had to take one right now to fill a Spurs spot i'd have to take Love. missing boards or being even with the opponents in the box score is frustrating. i'd love a +10 rebounding adv every night.

kidd_91
01-19-2011, 09:50 AM
well the question is Love or Griffin right now. And right now Love would help this team more. Griffin is the more talented but Love is a rebounding machine and would probably fit in more as a role player with this team. However looking long run and being the face of the Spurs I would take Griffin in a heartbeat.

Mrlunt925
01-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Griff for sure

Cane
01-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Easily Griffin. He's also a rebounding machine and while he doesn't have a 3 point shot he does have a midrange jumper so he can still space the floor; he's basically a younger McDyess.

He'd also be better than Love for the Spurs not only because of his superior talent but because of the attitude he brings. He won't back down and has already caused multiple ejections throughout the season and got into vets' heads including champions like Odom.

The Spurs still lack elite athleticism and it doesn't get much better than Griffin. If this guy came off the bench he'd be one hell of a 6th man of the year. Imo Griffin's a better overall player now than Love and his ceiling is as high as it gets and he's got the work ethic to get there. Both guys seem to be average or below average defensively.

Brazil
01-19-2011, 11:07 AM
If you are a spurs, Kevin Love by a mile he can spread the floor with his 3 points range, no real debate here

Rummpd
01-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Pop would turn Blake Griffin into a much better defender and with that athletic ability he should be and could be blocking more than 0.64 blocks a game (his current rate from stats at espn.com). Some say he has short arms but he can also jump out of the building and Duncan and him on the same court at the same time would be sick.

TampaDude
01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Griffin, of course...he's a monster.

Bruno
01-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Griffin and it's not even close.

Brazil
01-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Griffin and it's not even close.

but but he can't spread the floor like Kevin and he is having too many spectacular dunks, pop would hate him... he is no spurs material

Leetonidas
01-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Griffin and it's not even close. Love at best is probably a 2nd or 3rd option on a true contender and Griffin has the potential (which he will likely fulfill) to be a superstar franchise-type player.

Spur_Fanatic
01-19-2011, 03:04 PM
BG, though I like Love's rebounding as well.

Tough one.

baseline bum
01-19-2011, 03:25 PM
I gotta admit the Spurs would have a mind-blowing fast-break with Love though.

Hooks
01-19-2011, 04:35 PM
K Love of course.

-Dude is a BEAST, he can stretch the floor with his outside shooting from 3, rebound, post up, etc.

-He's going to have a much longer career than B.G. Once Blake's athleticism starts to fade away he's not going to be a very good player, Blake is also very injury prone with his playing style, sooner or later that playing style is going to take a toll on his body. Love on the other hand rarely leaves the ground, he'll be able to maintain his playing style well into his career sort of like TD. Love's game also doesn't depend on him being athletic or anything like that.

anonoftheinternets
01-19-2011, 06:56 PM
is this even a question? griffin easily ....

Trimble87
01-19-2011, 07:26 PM
This is an interesting question for me, if you were asking who I would rather start a franchise with the answer is obviously Blake Griffin, not even that close imo. But if the question is who would I rather have right now on this spurs team then I would have to say Kevin Love. He is a beast on the boards and has a more all around game, his outside shooting would fit in perfectly with our team and I think he could learn a lot from Pop/Tim.

TD 21
01-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Too many are thinking about this from an offensive standpoint. It's nice that Love can spread the floor, but he's not a good defender and due to his relative immobility, he'd be a poor fit next to Duncan. Griffin isn't exactly an all league defender either, but at least the physical tools are there to be a quality defender, particularly against the mobile, face-up fours that have often given the Spurs trouble. He seems intelligent and he's definitely hard working. You put him in an environment like the Spurs', with a coach like Pop and he'd probably be a quality defender.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-19-2011, 08:28 PM
All those who talk about Love's rebounding - it isn't much better than Blake's! Blake is an elite rebounder just like Kevin, and he has dimensions in his offensive and defensive game that Love can't even comprehend.

Griffin without a doubt.

resistanze
01-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Griffin. Have you seen KL on the defensive end? He should be a Raptor. I don't know why rebounding is such a big point....Griffin is 4th in the NBA @ 12.9 per. It's like taking Rondo over D-Will because Rondo is having an atypically high year in assists.