PDA

View Full Version : Little dated Manu interview

ElNono
01-19-2011, 12:29 AM
From December 30, 2010... I don't know if it was posted before. Just translated it.

"Even if I'm selected All Star or MVP, I'm going to play with the National Team in 2011" (http://www.canchallena.com/1337794)

Ginobili knows that the rest from skipping the World Championship is one of the reasons for his great present in the NBA, but he says he won't be pressured and will play in the Olympic Qualifier Tournament in Mar del Plata (Argentina).

Everything happens quickly in the NBA. A good performance is quickly shadowed by another not so good. The opinions about the same player can vary in just a handful of days.
Only a few can go beyond the day to day. Those that have the leadership and constant production, even in no so brilliant nights, are decisive. That's a place reserved nowadays for Emanuel Ginobili.

The media already placed him in the short list of candidates to be selected the best player of the season. "People started chanting MVP in San Antonio. My first reaction is embarrassment. It's completely related to the fact that I play for the best team at this very moment. If this continues to the end of the season, I might have a chance, but… it's really utopian. With players like Nowitzki, LeBron, Kobe, Wade, that are super talented in every aspect? No, I don't see it."

The last week of the year is pretty busy: three games, taking care of the twins, take the in-laws to the airport who are spending new year in Buenos Aires, a trip to Dallas, an hour of twitcam to talk with his fans. And, in the meantime, continue to sustain a career with excellence. When his sport genius seemed to have fulfilled all expectations, he surprises with something new. At 33 he's back at the center of attention in the NBA. And the experts agree on something: "Good rest and a good training camp after skipping the Turkey Worlds was fundamental for him to reach this level again". Something similar is said of Tony Parker.

What's worrisome is the perception after this, and that is teams taking notes of how important is for players to have good vacations; It adds to the theory that National Teams are a roadblock for the franchises.

-Is this something to be worried about?

No. They can't tell you not to play. Even if they try, there's moments. Sometimes players privilege a different physical situation, training. But the teams can't do it, it's not allowed. You can spend two months vacationing and then go back to full training instead of touring with the National Team, it allows you to rest. It's up to the player, not the NBA. Even if they select me All Star or MVP, because I took a good rest in 2010, next year I'm going to play with the National Team.

-There will be a new coach in Mar del Plata. What do you remember about Lamas?

Very positive memories. Those were 3 years that left a mark on me. 1997 because it was my first Worlds, and I was making strides improving my game. In 98 he took me to my first Worlds with the senior team when some people thought I wouldn't make the cut. I still remember those 10 days when we were 13 in the team. I suffered like a dog! When I found out I was staying with the team, I swear I was flying.

-How did Lamas communicated that you were staying and Jorge Racca was being cut?

Racca himself told me. I was in the Hotel's lobby, going up to my room, and I run into Jorge in the elevator and he congratulated me. I found out through him, he said I did a good job. It's been 12 years and I don't remember all the details… I think that's how the story goes.

-What's the balance for the National Team this year?

It's great. My absence was easier to digest because they knew five months early, but what happened with Chapu Nocioni was a bullet to the head. With all the work he put to come back, it was a very tough emotional hit. And the National Team played well. It lost a game that was competitive against Serbia, and failed very bad in the most important game. Lithuania really beat us in every aspect. We had very bad timing to have the worst game in the tournament. Even then, the team got up, and beat Russia and Spain, neither of them easy games, and finished in the 5th spot, which is good. After beating Brazil we had higher expectations. It hurts not to be at the top, but the balance can't be bad.

-The coaching change modified anything, or the structure is so strong that we're only going to see small details from Lamas?

If the base group with Carlitos (Delfino), Luifa (Scola), Chapu (Nocioni), and Pablo (Prigioni) is healthy, there won't be many changes. We're just a few and we know each other well. We played together for a thousand years. With the younger players, whoever comes in, Julio will probably have more of an effect, but the structure won't change.

-In Turkey, Cantero got hurt and Hernandez selected a more seasoned player (Cequeira) instead of a young talent (Juan Fernandez). Did it surprise you?

I haven't seen Cequeira until then, but he didn't surprise me. It's impossible to say that it didn't work out because he helped a lot. I don't know Juan Fernandez that much either. It's difficult to have a 19 year old as a backup point guard. As a 3rd stringer is a different thing.

-In 98 Lamas took a gamble with young players: you and Pepe Sanchez.

But if you recall, I went there as player number 12. Afterwards I ended up playing a bit more. Pepe was the third guard behind Milanesio and Montecchia. It's different, a lot of responsibility.

-So Julio won't be more open to change than Sergio.

It's a matter of talking with Julio and see what he would have done in Sergio's situation. It's easier to take a kid as a 4th center than as a backup PG. Carlitos (Delfino) could play the point, but then you didn't have a "2" that could play "1", because Paolo (Quinteros) is not a point guard. Plus, it worked. It was fine. Changing, getting younger, when you talk about in a vacuum, it's great. But you can't risk the current team thinking about the future. People remember this World Championship, they don't talk about what's going to happen two or four years down the road. You have to take the team you think it will enable you to win.

-No Oberto or Roman Gonzales… the lack of centers is a problem?

At the American level, no. At the Olympic level it's a different story, because against some teams you need a tough center. You can't wear out Scola banging all game. It's going to be more noticeable in the world stage.

-Between the end of last season and the start of this one, is 2010 your best year in the NBA?

I don't remember how I started 2005/2006, but the previous one I finished playing incredibly well. It was an All Star year. 2007 was good, but I still think the previous ones were better. In 2008 I was not selected an All Star, but I did get selected on the All NBA 3rd team, the highest individual honor I received so far, even though most people don't remember.

-In Argentina the awards are every year, and you weren't even pre-selected for the Olimpia awards.

Yes. I know Luifa (Scola) won and he is more than deserving. He was the top scorer at the Worlds and that in Argentina has more value than in the NBA. It's the first time they didn't select me in a long time, but there were years were I was selected and I did not win it, and it was worse than this. Doesn't worry me in the least.

-Even then, your brother (Leandro) had to go pick up an award for you.

Yes, the Bicentennial. I'm the best Argentinean basketball player in 200 years.

phyzik
01-19-2011, 12:35 AM
I dont mind Manu or Parker going to play for their respective national teams.... but how can they deny the impact it has had for this team when they take a rest?

If we win another 'ship, I wont mind so much since Tim is probably on his way out.... but to deny the impact resting from international play has had is like denying wheels are round.

ElNono
01-19-2011, 12:37 AM
(I'm just the messenger, BTW :lol)

Mel_13
01-19-2011, 12:40 AM
I dont mind Manu or Parker going to play for their respective national teams.... but how can they deny the impact it has had for this team when they take a rest?

If we win another 'ship, I wont mind so much since Tim is probably on his way out.... but to deny the impact resting from international play has had is like denying wheels are round.

Both Manu and Tony have acknowledged the benefit to them of resting this past summer.

greyforest
01-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Yes, the Bicentennial. I'm the best Argentinean basketball player in 200 years.

Basketball was invented in December 1891

ElNono
01-19-2011, 01:32 AM
Basketball was invented in December 1891

Take it with Manu :lol

TIMMYD!
01-19-2011, 01:34 AM
When I saw the thread title I thought it was talking about someone named Little that had dated Manu. :lol

mingus
01-19-2011, 01:37 AM
i can't believe some people actually thought that Manu wouldn't play for his national team. it's Manu freaking Ginobili, guys. dude was born to play basketball, for better or for worse in some situations.

Mel_13
01-19-2011, 01:42 AM
i can't believe some people actually thought that Manu wouldn't play for his national team. it's Manu freaking Ginobili, guys. dude was born to play basketball, for better or for worse in some situations.

It's not like he didn't clearly announce his intentions. Within days of signing his extension, he announced on his website that he wouldn't play for Argentina in 2010, but that he would play in 2011 and 2012.

phyzik
01-19-2011, 01:46 AM

Doesnt mean I have to like it.

I accept it....

But I dont like it.

phyzik
01-19-2011, 01:51 AM
Look, Manu and Tony are playing awesome.... if we win a 'Ship before Duncan hangs them up, they can play international ball all they want as far as Im concerned.... but if we dont win it, they need to buckle down again and not compete internationally.

greyforest
01-19-2011, 01:51 AM
manu and tony skipped specifically for a championship this season

phyzik
01-19-2011, 01:52 AM
manu and tony skipped specifically for a 'ship this season

edit: weird someone posted using the term 'ship at the exact same time as me

That exactly what Im pointing at.... if it doesnt happen, they need to do it again.... At least until Tim hangs them up.

Mel_13
01-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Look, Manu and Tony are playing awesome.... if we win a 'Ship before Duncan hangs them up, they can play international ball all they want as far as Im concerned.... but if we dont win it, they need to buckle down again and not compete internationally.

You're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Barring injury, both will play for their National Teams in 2011 and 2012. It's a done deal.

phyzik
01-19-2011, 02:00 AM
You're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Barring injury, both will play for their National Teams in 2011 and 2012. It's a done deal.

yeah, I know, and thats fine if it happens.

They just need to make sure to take care of themselves and keep in mind who is helping them pay the bills..

ALVAREZ6
01-19-2011, 02:19 AM

Manu doesn't deny it at all, he simply doesn't care because his priorities aren't the same as us Spurs fans. If I were in his shoes, I'd do the same, I'd rarely sit out from competition if I could represent Argentina, especially during the era where Argentine basketball is at its strongest ever, by very far. It's all about pride for representing the country, everyone wants to do it.

Dirk does it, right?

It's different viewing it as an American for basketball...if the US sends its top talent, or even it's b or c squad, it should easily win every single tournament. Basketball is very heavily played here and winning at the international level is already old. Everyone in the world knows the US is basketball. When the US players go and win the gold at the olympics, they can't even come close to sense the same accomplishment that for example the Argentines did in 04, because it's totally different. And even considering this, you still have many US players talking about the pride they have in putting on the USA shirt.

phyzik
01-19-2011, 02:21 AM
Manu doesn't deny it at all, he simply doesn't care because his priorities aren't the same as us Spurs fans. If I were in his shoes, I'd do the same, I'd rarely sit out from competition if I could represent Argentina, especially during the era where Argentine basketball is at its strongest ever, by very far. It's all about pride for representing the country, everyone wants to do it.

I guess Manu/Tony just have different priorities than I do, and I can accept that....

But if it where me and an organization was paying me millions of dollars a year, I'd look at their priorities first. Im not saying I would shun the opportunity but I would definately take a hard look at whats going on. (ie. Manu hurt before the 2008 Olympics and still deciding to play).

again... thats just me. regardless if I had a guaranteed contract or not.

Still want to point out, Im not hating on either of them. Its their perogative to do it.... No one can stop them. Just saying they should look more deeply into how its going to affect the Spurs team before they run off on hobbled legs and destroy an NBA season for 13+ other guys because they want to play to the second or third round in international ball.

I hope they give it a little more consideration and thoughtfulness in how they play over seas during the off-season and make sure they dont wreck themselves to win an out-of-reach game in the worlds or some shit. not saying they should sit if the game looks out of reach, just be carefull not to over-exert themselves trying to do the impossible and subsiquently screwing over the team that pays you, regardless if its guaranteed money or not.

ALVAREZ6
01-19-2011, 02:46 AM
Well it's very obvious that there's pros and cons to playing international summer ball. At least they both decided to sit this summer out, they clearly prioritized Spurs basketball this time around.

diego
01-19-2011, 03:58 AM
Both Manu and Tony have acknowledged the benefit to them of resting this past summer.

I dont remember seeing any manu interview where he acknowledged it. on the contrary, I remember him saying in many interviews that he's had good/championship seasons after playing in the summer and bad/injured seasons after not playing, that there isn't a direct relationship and that a lot of luck is involved, and that people are jumping to the conclusion that this year's good play is because of rest.

phyzik, tell me how many players "destroy an NBA season for 13+ other guys" without ever having played in international ball? do you give them the same grief?
and the "millions of dollars" argument is bull too. Even bonner makes millions of dollars, because the NBA makes a lot of money and there are only so many NBA level players out there. If manu ginobili wasn't worth millions to the spurs, then why have they given him 3 contracts in a row? Because they know at least 1 of the 29 other teams would have given him the contract regardless of whether he plays for his NT or not. like it or not the players have the power, because manu ginobilis and tony parkers dont grow on trees.

what annoys me about this whole argument though is this thinking that its preferable to have "professional" players that treat the game like a corporate job, vs passionate ones that love the game regardless of where it is being played. if these guys used your logic, why would they play with a broken nose or a twisted ankle or plantar fascitis "just to play in the 2nd or 3rd round of the NBA". better to just pack it in and protect the company assets eh?

benefactor
01-19-2011, 06:26 AM
I am fully convinced that this year is the last chance for #5...and both Manu and Parker have done what is necessary to make that happen. In short, I could care less what he does after this season.

Brazil
01-19-2011, 06:38 AM
It's just another warning, we need to win this year ! This is why I don't care if Tiago will be better next year or if JA will contribute next year. We need them now.

Mel_13
01-19-2011, 07:03 AM
I dont remember seeing any manu interview where he acknowledged it. on the contrary, I remember him saying in many interviews that he's had good/championship seasons after playing in the summer and bad/injured seasons after not playing, that there isn't a direct relationship and that a lot of luck is involved, and that people are jumping to the conclusion that this year's good play is because of rest.

Of course, he has, starting with the announcement that he would not play in Turkey. He cited the injuries in 2008 and 2009 and that he could no longer play 100 NBA games and 3 consecutive summers with the NT unless he took the time in the summer of 2010 to both rest and train. He's reiterated that ever since.

Johnny RIngo
01-19-2011, 07:29 AM
I wouldn't mind Manu and TP playing for their national teams if they were Lebron/Kobe level athletes but their past history with injuries shows that their bodies can't handle the addition of off-season basketball. Manu really should consider retiring from ARG; he'll be pushing thirty-four next summer and any more bball after an 82 games season/post-season will make him a very expensive DNP for the Spurs.

Mel_13
01-19-2011, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't mind Manu and TP playing for their national teams if they were Lebron/Kobe level athletes but their past history with injuries shows that their bodies can't handle the addition of off-season basketball. Manu really should consider retiring from ARG; he'll be pushing thirty-four next summer and any more bball after an 82 games season/post-season will make him a very expensive DNP for the Spurs.

The Spurs were well aware of the risks and Manu's intentions when the most recent extension was offered and signed.