PDA

View Full Version : Build a better team: Bynum vs Duncan

21_Blessings
01-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Which franchise would be better if you were building one today? Assume similar payrolls and no tanking for the 1st pick overall allowed.....

BanditHiro
01-19-2011, 02:23 PM
are collusion deals allowed?

redzero
01-19-2011, 02:23 PM
http://www.inturnetz.com/photos/for-forums/troll_thread2.jpg

Do I have to say it?

Banzai
01-19-2011, 02:24 PM
I'll say Duncan..just because he has that sweet jump shot he makes off the glass. Bynum is good..but not yet as skillful as a young Duncan. I'm a Laker fan so don't get crazy.

hater
Duncan.

Chances of Duncan being healthy and contributing in the post-season, 75%

Chances of Bynum being healthy and contributing in the post-season, 35%

history2b
Building one today? I'd take:

Bynum
Dwight
Noah
Griffin
Love
Lopez

Heck maybe even Hibbert too.

Pretty soon it may be time to take Jimmy out back.

21_Blessings
01-19-2011, 02:25 PM
I'll say Duncan..just because he has that sweet jump shot he makes off the glass. Bynum is good..but not yet as skillful as a young Duncan. I'm a Laker fan so don't get crazy.

Who said anything about young Duncan?

washingtonwizard
01-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Duncan.

I'd trust my team to 4 time champions Duncan.

Bynum would make me nervous.

Spur_Fanatic
01-19-2011, 02:26 PM
You don't give much to work with, 21.
More explanation needed. Still, from the basics, I'd say...

I'm no Bynum fan. I'd go with Duncan.
I'd much prefer any other younger big star than Bynum.

hater
01-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Duncan.

I'd trust my team to 4 time champions Duncan.

Bynum would make me nervous.

great point.

late 4th quarter in a game 7. Who do you give the ball to, Duncan or Bynum(:lol)?

PDXSpursFan
01-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Is Bynum still playing? I though he retire after career-ending amputation above his knee.

Banzai
01-19-2011, 02:28 PM
http://www.inturnetz.com/photos/for-forums/troll_thread2.jpg

Do I have to say it?

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/64/ipqveg.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=4529)

cheguevara
:lmao

thread backfire

Spur_Fanatic

Bynum
Dwight
Noah
Griffin
Love
Lopez

Wait a sec... If you can have Dwight or Noah or Griffin or Love or Lopez...
Why in hell you'd take Bynum?!?

Banzai
I did.

jjktkk
01-19-2011, 02:32 PM

Trying too hard blessings. Your gonna need one of your circle jerk posse buddies to save you from a beatdown in this thread.

21_Blessings
01-19-2011, 02:38 PM

No GM would be dumb enough to take a 34 year old with maybe 1-2 semi-productive years left over the 23 year old that already plays better man defense and shoots nearly 10% better from the floor...

21_Blessings
I did.

Why?

Spur_Fanatic
No, it's not a bad thread. An accident, surely. But, if given some rules for the choosing, payroll limits, contract years, define what Bynum and what Duncan, etc...

If given some work, this thread is very salvageable.

Spur_Fanatic
01-19-2011, 02:40 PM
No GM would be dumb enough to take a 34 year old with maybe 1-2 semi-productive years left over the 23 year old that already plays better man defense and shoots nearly 10% better from the floor...

I don't get it. If you already have an opinion (why Bynum, he sucks, and with less money you can pick better), why ask?
Besides, will Bynum actually play in the playoffs? The guy is a huge dissapointment.

cheguevara
01-19-2011, 02:41 PM

I'd take a 34 year 4 time champion for a couple of winning season and leadership and clutch in the playoffs. Over a never been dumb big man that has had 2 major knee injuries and propensity to break down anytime.

Spur_Fanatic
01-19-2011, 02:43 PM
...Over a never been dumb big man that has had 2 major knee injuries and propensity to break down anytime.

And more importantly... that will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, lead a team. Period.
Bynum doesn't have the top dog mentality. Nor can lead through example.

jjktkk
01-19-2011, 02:44 PM

Why not? The way you slurp on Bynum's sack, I would think you wouldn't mind comparing a young Bynum to a young Duncan.

21_Blessings
01-19-2011, 02:46 PM
I don't get it. If you already have an opinion (why Bynum, he sucks, and with less money you can pick better), why ask?
Besides, will Bynum actually play in the playoffs? The guy is a huge dissapointment.

Bynum hasn't missed a playoff game in over two years.

Bynum also looks healthier than Tim based on how each player has been moving around the court lately..

lefty
01-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Tew Dunnum

VBM
01-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Most people would take Duncan over Greg Oden, so not sure why it's such a shock that people would take Duncan over Bynum...

21_Blessings
01-19-2011, 02:52 PM
I'd take a 34 year 4 time champion for a couple of winning season and leadership and clutch in the playoffs.

Where was this clutch last year against the Suns? Timothy even had Olympic champion Manu and former finals MVP Tony Parker.

Over a never been dumb big man that has had 2 major knee injuries and

His last knee injury wasn't major and looks to be fully recovered. Just like Timothy recovered from his 2000 mishap.

propensity to break down anytime.

Prove it.

Spur_Fanatic
01-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Bynum hasn't missed a playoff game in over two years.

Bynum also looks healthier than Tim based on how each player has been moving around the court lately..

I could be wrong, and please correct me if I am.
And most likely I am, since I don't have the stats right here right now.

Wasn't Bynum injured recently? And isn't he playing like 20MPG this season? The Lakers staff is trying to save him for the playoffs?.

Spurs also tring to save Duncan for then, by design. And yet he is playing ... what? 29 MPG or so? Right now, doesn't make more sense to have a Duncan on your team than a Bynum? Maybe you are right in 3 or 4 years. Hell, maybe you are right in 6 months. But right now, there is no way in hell I'd take Bynum over Duncan (I'd take Griffin and Howard, maybe Love, not sold on Noah yet, but I've not seen him play much).

21_Blessings
01-19-2011, 03:10 PM
I could be wrong, and please correct me if I am.
And most likely I am, since I don't have the stats right here right now.

Wasn't Bynum injured recently? And isn't he playing like 20MPG this season? The Lakers staff is trying to save him for the playoffs?.

Recently? No. Bynum has been playing through a slight tear in his cartilidge for about a year, which is thought to have developed after Kobe barreled into his knee and sprained his MCL. The surgery in question, is pretty common and routine these days.

His minutes are limited by design like most players that come back from surgery and the fact that he plays with two very good bigs.

Spurs also tring to save Duncan for then, by design. And yet he is playing ... what? 29 MPG or so? Right now, doesn't make more sense to have a Duncan on your team than a Bynum? Maybe you are right in 3 or 4 years. Hell, maybe you are right in 6 months. But right now, there is no way in hell I'd take Bynum over Duncan (I'd take Griffin and Howard, maybe Love, not sold on Noah yet, but I've not seen him play much).

Per 36 Bynum: 16/11/3

Per 36 Duncan: 16/12/2.5

Hmmmmm

Blake
01-19-2011, 03:12 PM
if you as a GM are having to build your team around Bynum, you may as well fire yourself before the owner does.

Spur_Fanatic
01-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Recently? No. Bynum has been playing through a slight tear in his cartilidge for about a year, which is thought to have developed after Kobe barreled into his knee and sprained his MCL. The surgery in question, is pretty common and routine these days.

His minutes are limited by design like most players that come back from surgery and the fact that he plays with two very good bigs.

Per 36 Bynum: 16/11/3

Per 36 Duncan: 16/12/2.5

Hmmmmm

I was kinda hoping their PER numbers were similar because...
why replace Duncan with Bynum then?

ohmwrecker
01-19-2011, 03:24 PM
I'll go with Duncan since he is clearly the better player and they both have about the same amount of time left in their respective careers.

21_Blessings
01-19-2011, 03:25 PM
I was kinda hoping their PER numbers were similar because...
why replace Duncan with Bynum then?

Because one is on the verge of retirement and the other seems to be improving by the week and hasn't even reached his ceiling at only 23?

VBM
01-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Because one is on the verge of retirement and the other seems to be improving by the week and hasn't even reached his ceiling at only 23?

True, although one has been the #1 option for a championship team (and the focus of the opposing team's defense) for multiple years with the ability to enter that role again when needed.

The other has never been more than the 3rd option at best, so we have no way of knowing that a team can be built around him (or if he can put in work with the opposing teams gearing up to stop him).

Spur_Fanatic
01-19-2011, 03:33 PM
According to who? I mean, you are talking about possibilities. "Bynum will be a star, Bynum will be a leader", are those sure things? You actually see Bynum leading a team? Hell, it's you opinion and all, but I honestly don't see it happen.

Lakers better try to get Howard, or Griffin after his rookie contract.

HeatChamps
01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Bynum owns Duncan

21_Blessings
01-19-2011, 03:42 PM
True, although one has been the #1 option for a championship team (and the focus of the opposing team's defense) for multiple years with the ability to enter that role again when needed.

The other has never been more than the 3rd option at best, so we have no way of knowing that a team can be built around him (or if he can put in work with the opposing teams gearing up to stop him).

Are you sure about that? Duncan has not won a legitimate championship since 2005 and didn't seem capable of stepping into a 1st option role last may.

You're wrong on the '3rd option at best'. Bynum was the 2nd option on a Lakers team that was competing for the 1st seed before the Pau Gasol trade.

Also, Andrew Bynum 42pt game..What's Timmy's career high (I don't remember)?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200901210LAC.html

nkdlunch
01-19-2011, 03:46 PM
what a stupid question.

Pick between a proven champion that can still ball and an unproven injury riddled mediocre bigman.

Raise the bar ppl.

jjktkk
01-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Are you sure about that? Duncan has not won a legitimate championship since 2005 and didn't seem capable of stepping into a 1st option role last may.

You're wrong on the '3rd option at best'. Bynum was the 2nd option on a Lakers team that was competing for the 1st seed before the Pau Gasol trade.

How great can Bynum be if he isn't even the number #1 bigman option on his own team?

nkdlunch
01-19-2011, 03:55 PM
I'll go with Duncan since he is clearly the better player and they both have about the same amount of time left in their respective careers.

:lol

funny but it's probably true

21_Blessings
01-19-2011, 03:57 PM
How great can Bynum be if he isn't even the number #1 bigman option on his own team?

Funny you should say that. For the sake of argument, in the event that Duncan became a Laker, he would have been a 3rd option behind Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol as well...

VBM
01-19-2011, 03:57 PM

As for last years playoffs, just looking at the wiki recap of the postseason, Duncan dropped a 25-17 night on Dallas, a 27-8 game, and another 25 point game within the first 3 games of the Mavs series (Spurs up 2-1 at that point). He also had a 20-11 and 25-10 game in the Phoenix series. I'm not going to go through all the boxes (if you want to, feel free). The scoring won't wow you, but it never did even in his prime.

As for the year they acquired Gasol, Bynum was the #2 option from the start of the season until January 13. So that's 2 and a half months of being a #2 option...out of his entire career. Not sure that's enough to make an argument.

21_Blessings
01-19-2011, 04:03 PM
As for the year they acquired Gasol, Bynum was the #2 option from the start of the season until January 13. So that's 2 and a half months of being a #2 option...out of his entire career. Not sure that's enough to make an argument.

You're ignoring the 17 game stretch where Pau was out with injury. Bynum averaged about 18 on a much better shooting % than Duncan's career average.

VBM
01-19-2011, 04:04 PM
You're ignoring the 17 game stretch where Pau was out with injury. Bynum averaged about 18 on a much better shooting % than Duncan's career average.

Ok, Bynum was the focal point of the opposing team's defense during that stretch? If we give Kobe a pass for bad shooting percentages simply because teams force him to take tough shots, the same could be said for Duncan during a majority of his career.

mathbzh
01-19-2011, 04:05 PM

Brandon Jennings, Rodrigue Beaubois, Ramon Sessions, Michael Beasley... All of them have scored over 42 in the last few seasons. I guess they are better than Duncan?

VBM
01-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Brandon Jennings, Rodrigue Beaubois, Ramon Sessions, Michael Beasley... All of them have scored over 42 in the last few seasons. I guess they are better than Duncan?

Per NBA.com, Duncan dropped 53 on the Mavs back in 01. Sadly, it was an OT loss. :depressed

ambchang
01-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Bynum.

Can't say no to someone who won back-to-back.

21_Blessings
01-19-2011, 04:10 PM

I was pointing to the 42 point game as evidence of Bynum's ability to be a consistent offensive option when given an ample amount of shots.

It's very rare that Bynum sees 15+ FGA to no fault of his own.

nkdlunch
01-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Funny you should say that. For the sake of argument, in the event that Duncan became a Laker, he would have been a 3rd option behind Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol as well...

doesn't help your argument one bit.

Bynum in the Spurs would also be a 3rd option at best. Actually I am not even sure if he would get the starting spot from Blair, given Bynums work ethic and small brain, Pop would lose patience here.

VBM
01-19-2011, 04:19 PM
I was pointing to the 42 point game as evidence of Bynum's ability to be a consistent offensive option when given an ample amount of shots.

It's very rare that Bynum sees 15+ FGA to no fault of his own.

I see your argument, but it's essentially a hypothetical. It's like me saying that Gary Neal's Per 36 Min stats equaling 17 points per game is enough evidence for me to say that he could be a starting caliber #2 option scoring-wise.

All jokes aside, Bynum is a solid player with a chance to be really good. But when you're talking about building a team around him, it's an awfully big risk to do so when we've never actually seen him shoulder that role as THE leader of a team.

21_Blessings
01-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Ok, Bynum was the focal point of the opposing team's defense during that stretch? If we give Kobe a pass for bad shooting percentages simply because teams force him to take tough shots, the same could be said for Duncan during a majority of his career.

Actually, teams send double teams at Bynum all the time.

Duncan is a big, Kobe a guard. Not comparable. But we'll give him a pass anyway.

VBM
01-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Duncan is a big, Kobe a guard. Not comparable. But we'll give him a pass anyway.

Fwiw, I wouldn't be shocked if Tony Parker shits on em both FG%-wise with all the layups he gets, but that's another story.

ambchang
01-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Actually, teams send double teams at Bynum all the time.

We know Bynum carried Kobe to two championships, in street clothes nonetheless.

21_Blessings
01-19-2011, 04:26 PM
in street clothes nonetheless.

Negative.

nkdlunch
01-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Bynum commands a double team???

that's funny

21_Blessings
01-19-2011, 04:31 PM

that's funny

Have you watched a Laker game?

LakasRool4eva
01-19-2011, 04:36 PM

that's funny

loling BIG TIME @ da hataz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if u really think bout it u would pick bynum cuz he does everything Duncan can do but hes bigger & stronger & better..................plus he already has almost the same # of 'ships as Duncan and hes only 21 years old too.......................

HeatChamps
01-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Bynum is the Lakers MVP

Spur_Fanatic
01-19-2011, 04:46 PM

if u really think bout it u would pick bynum cuz he does everything Duncan can do but hes bigger & stronger & better..................plus he already has almost the same # of 'ships as Duncan and hes only 21 years old too.......................

Awesome! Hey, guys!
Let's give Pop a call, so we bring the following guys to the Spurs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_players_wi th_most_championship_rings

They have more rings thank Kobe!
That means they are right now better than Kobe!
Some of them maybe are dead, though. But they have more rings!

Let 21B defend his own point. He was doing fine, and doesn't need help.

nkdlunch
01-19-2011, 04:54 PM

Bynum 11pts 7rbs 0asists 1blk

Duncan 14pts 10rbs 3assists 2blk

sorry bro. you are delusional.

Duncan is better in pretty much every category still.

21_Blessings
01-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Duncan is better in pretty much every category still.

FG% - No.

Man defense - No.

Why does Amare destroy Duncan so bad? That never happens when Bynum is defending the guy..

Booharv
01-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Of course it Bynum, he's 12 years younger than Duncan.

ElNono
01-19-2011, 06:04 PM
If you want 7/7 ecstasy in the playoffs, you would take Bynum...

Now if you're talking double digits, then that's Duncan...

Blake
01-19-2011, 06:06 PM
does Bynum do any funny grocery store TV commercials in LA?

if not, then Duncan is a no-brainer.

DMC
01-19-2011, 06:36 PM

Bynum
Dwight
Noah
Griffin
Love
Lopez

You'd be an even bigger loser, if that's possible.

DMC
01-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Have you watched a Laker game?
Who could?

DMC
10-01-2016, 12:27 AM

Bynum
Dwight
Noah
Griffin
Love
Lopez

lol how's this coming along?

baseline bum
10-01-2016, 10:43 AM

Bynum
Dwight
Noah
Griffin
Love
Lopez

:rollin

Brazil
10-03-2016, 09:38 AM
Of course it Bynum, he's 12 years younger than Duncan.