PDA

View Full Version : Double Dribbles: Not-so-burning questions

boutons_deux
01-20-2011, 06:19 AM
Double Dribbles: Not-so-burning questions

Bonus: Can the Spurs win it all?

Can you imagine if the Heat were 35-6 at the halfway point? Everyone would be conceding the title, talking about what a great coach they have and how we knew all along that they could never be challenged.

Meanwhile, the Spurs actually do start 35-6 and a lot of people still aren‘t sure whether they've left the ABA.

Still, whether you find the Spurs sexy or not, they were far and away the best team through 41 games. It wasn't even close. And we can say that knowing Tim Duncan isn't the player he used to be. Neither is Richard Jefferson.

But they have all the things that really matter -- talent, depth, cohesion, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Gregg Popovich and championship experience. More than anything, the Spurs are just smarter than everyone else, sort of like the Duke of the NBA.

In other words, for all the talk of hating the Heat, or Rasheed Wallace returning to the Celtics to get another shot at the Lakers, or the tons of fun Oklahoma City Thunder ... well, you may be disappointed. You may just have to shut up and accept the fact the boring old Spurs are better than you.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/01/17/11/Double-Dribbles-Not-so-burning-questions/landing.html?blockID=392760&feedID=3724&

Brazil
01-20-2011, 06:41 AM
You may just have to shut up and accept the fact the boring old Spurs are better than you.

I think this sums up nicely everything

kidd_91
01-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Why are the spurs boring? Because they don't have a team full of wanna-be thugs, players talking trash, or crybabies demanding trades. They have the freakin #1 offense in the league and still get the boring tag. Do sports writers even watch games? :bang:bang end rant

Pauleta14
01-20-2011, 11:45 AM
I think this sums up nicely everything

except for the "boring" part...

I'm tired of reading that! I mean whoever thinks that obviously hasn't watch the spurs this year...:bang

gospursgojas
01-20-2011, 11:46 AM

I'm tired of reading that! I mean whoever thinks that obviously hasn't watch the spurs this year...:bang

And thats alot of people...

is the point they are making

kaji157
01-20-2011, 11:56 AM
The Spurs are boring because they beat the exciting teams...
Luckily, i watch basketball because i like the sport and not laugh of it.

Pauleta14
01-20-2011, 01:10 PM
IMO the main (only?) reason the spurs a called "boring" in because of their uniforms...

With the predominance of medias/maketing/commercials... we have to admit that black, white and grey (not even silver!) isn't very attractive.

On the BB side though, no one, who saw the Spurs play this year can, HONESTLY, say they are boring.
I not being a homer saying that, IT'S A FACT.

jjktkk
01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
People, the media, etc..., who are calling the Spurs boring, have not been watching the Spurs this year, and are basing their opinion on the Spurs grind it out style of yesteryear.

Seventyniner
01-20-2011, 01:53 PM
IMO the main (only?) reason the spurs a called "boring" in because of their uniforms...

With the predominance of medias/maketing/commercials... we have to admit that black, white and grey (not even silver!) isn't very attractive.

On the BB side though, no one, who saw the Spurs play this year can, HONESTLY, say they are boring.

+1

The Spurs are boring because of their market size, not their style of play.

Ozzy
01-20-2011, 01:58 PM

I think boring in that sentence was used with slight sarcasm...

duncan228
01-20-2011, 02:29 PM
George Karl is in the 'Spurs can win it all' camp.

Early NBA title favorite? Nuggets' Karl says Spurs (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_17147138)
By Chris Dempsey
The Denver Post

You're a Nuggets fan. You hate San Antonio. Sure you do. You think Manu Ginobili flops. You think Tim Duncan gets all of the calls no star on the Nuggets will ever get. The Spurs are the closest equivalent to your inner Bronco hating the Raiders.

And they both wear black-and-silver.

And the Spurs aren't making life easier by winning. They are winning this season, and winning a lot. At 36-6 they own the NBA's best record, and they are doing it in a way few thought possible — without large contributions every night from Duncan.

In fact, Duncan's numbers are down significantly in a number of categories. He's playing the fewest minutes of his career in this, his 14th season. He's not even scored 10 points on 14 occasions this season, one of them being on Sunday against the Nuggets. But in those games the Spurs are still 12-2.

It's all going well for the team from the Alamo City, and if Nuggets coach George Karl had to choose a favorite at the halfway point to win the title, the Spurs are his horse.

"I think right now, if I had to pick a team that I think could win it, I'd probably pick San Antonio," Karl said.

Why?

"They win close games," Karl added. "They win at home, they're a good defensive team and they are a powerful offensive team. They have more depth than I've ever seen them have. They have more versatility than they've had in a long time.

"And this is the first time I've seen (coach Gregg Popovich) turn on the mental edge early in the season. He (usually) waits. He kind of waits for that rodeo trip, or after the All-Star (break) - let's win 10 in a row or 13 out of 15 or something like that. He's put the gas pedal down pretty hard all season long."

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_17147138

Mark in Austin
01-20-2011, 03:03 PM
I think it is time we realize that when reporters and media figures use the term boring to describe the Spurs, they are NOT referring to what's happening on the court. They are referring to how boring the Spurs are for them to cover.

JWest596
01-20-2011, 03:08 PM
The only people who call the Spurs "boring" are boring.

wontstartdumbthreads
01-20-2011, 03:18 PM
The only people who call the Spurs "boring" are boring.

The only people who call the Spurs "boring" get their information from highlight reels and shoe commercials. They're also the same ones who are just now saying, "Have you seen that Durant kid?"

Brazil
01-20-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't give a shit if the whole galaxy think the spurs are boring tbh.
Moreover I think it's a great compliment boring in a spurs way is playing fundamental good BB and winning.

lefty
01-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Great, a jinx article :pctoss

I dont get the whole boring thing

Manu and TP are fun to watch; most teams in the NBA each have 1-2 spectacular players max.

It's not like all the other teams are the Globetrotters or the 80's Lakers.

Heck, the 96-98 Bulls were boring to watch; pass, pass, pass, jump-shot; pass, pass, pass, jump-shot; rinse and repeat.
MJ had the odd flashback dunk here and there, but other than that.......

FkLA
01-20-2011, 05:11 PM
The Spurs are a disciplined team, they play basketball the right way. Even with their increased scoring this still holds true. Add that to the whole small market thing...and that is the reason most casual fans are turned off by the Spurs and consider them boring.

Who cares though, really. Casual fans are sheeps...most purists and former/current players respect the Spurs probably more than any other team of this era. I'll take that+winning over being exciting.

Cessation
01-20-2011, 05:13 PM
One of the reasons they are boring, is they usually have less athletic players, than other teams. The average couch potato sports fan, wants to see freak athletes not Mat Bonner.

LoneStarState'sPride
01-20-2011, 05:27 PM
You may just have to shut up and accept the fact the boring old Spurs are better than you.

Best quote of the season thus far :toast

TampaDude
01-20-2011, 06:23 PM

:toast

DMC
01-20-2011, 06:31 PM
I remember when I was young I thought the Celtics were boring and the Lakers exciting. Fundamentals are boring, even successful application of them is boring.

If solid play was that exciting, we would all be watching WNBA. There's something to be said about playing above the rim, and the Spurs dynasty hasn't been doing so in the past. The 2007 championship didn't feature highlight dunks and crazy alley oop passes to streaking 6'9" guards. There was no G.O.A.T comparisons to MJ, no "he came from a tribe with a total weight of 23lbs and look at him now" moments with lazy eye (you know who I am talking about). None of that. It's just winning basketball, and Pop doesn't spend 2 hours on the interview talking his ass off like a 16 year old debutant on stage. He's to the point and he's gone. Not exciting. I love it though, cannot get enough.

ShoogarBear
01-20-2011, 07:17 PM
the Duke of the NBA.

:vomit:

TD 21
01-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Every national Spurs article has the obligatory "Duncan's not the player he used to be" or "Duncan's numbers are at career lows" line. Funny, by these so-called "experts" standards, Garnett hasn't been an All-Star in three years. Yet I've still yet to hear any of them say that or see any of them start a Celtics article with "Garnett's not the player he used to be" or "Garnett's numbers are down". They go on and on about his defense and him being their "emotional leader" and all this nonsense, yet they never mention that Duncan is still an elite anchor and glass cleaner.

For as focused as they are on Duncan's scoring, you'd think they'd point out that he's playing about 29 mpg, attempting about 11 fg's a game and getting to the line about 4 times a game.

But why let facts get in the way of a cliche story?

awktalk
01-20-2011, 08:19 PM
You know who else called the Spurs boring?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kytv3oTRoX1qzm1yjo2_500.jpg

cutewizard
01-21-2011, 02:10 AM
Why are the spurs boring? Because they don't have a team full of wanna-be thugs, players talking trash, or crybabies demanding trades. They have the freakin #1 offense in the league and still get the boring tag. Do sports writers even watch games? :bang:bang end rant

Except that

this year we are no longer boring!!!!

Go Spurs gooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutewizard
01-21-2011, 02:11 AM
The Spurs will win it all

coz bobby fischer said so....

and fischer was the smartest bad ass brain that ever was

Go Spursssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mathbzh
01-21-2011, 03:44 AM
Except that

this year we are no longer boring!!!!

Go Spurs gooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the casual fan the Spurs may still be boring.

What are the Spurs highlights?
- A Parker-RJ alley oop here and there.
- A ginobili big shot or crazy move. And I am not sure it is that spectacular for a casual fan because it does not look that fast.
- Some perfectly executed play with screens, passes, players moving without the ball... and Duncan dunking without any opposition.

Actually, Parker's quickness and his ankle breakers may be the only really spectacular moves from Spurs players (still for the casual fan).

Just look at Griffin dunking over people and you will understand why the Spurs are considered boring.

Now if you really like basketball and know a little bit about it... you probably like the Spurs game

m33p0
01-21-2011, 04:36 AM
they're boring coz they got labelled as boring... hence, casual fans expect them to be boring. they're boring like a Mack truck, simplicity in design... but when it hits you, you know you got hit big-time!

pookenstein
01-21-2011, 05:48 AM

Personally I think the black jerseys are badass. I'm not a big fan of the V-neck though.

This.

buttsR4rebounding
01-21-2011, 07:27 AM
The Spurs are probably the smartest team in the league. When you maximize your talent by playing with an extremely high BB IQ the casual sports writer just doesn't understand...

100%duncan
01-21-2011, 07:39 AM
LOL. this is some jinx shit right here

cheguevara
01-21-2011, 11:45 AM
"boring"

I guess once labeled you will forever be labeled

kinda like "rapist" for certain Laker SG

TampaDude
01-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Winning is never boring. :toast