PDA

View Full Version : d league time for splitter

dwayne shintzius
01-20-2011, 12:27 PM
isnt that what the d league is for? austin runs the same sets as us, runs the same defense, etc.

why not send tiago down w/ anderson? fly him back for games, as an insurance policy, but get his legs moving down in the d league.

only way he'll catch on to pop's system is through trial and error, so why wait till the offseason to start?

spurs might as well utilize all their resources - i agree once splitter is more comfortable out there, once he sees his shot go in the basket, his psychy will change.

mental aspect of this game is quite forgotten sometimes.

makes sense right???

fyatuk
01-20-2011, 12:31 PM
They should have done that earlier, but there's zero chance of it happening until Bonner is 100%.

dwayne shintzius
01-20-2011, 12:37 PM
good point. shouldnt we just throw him in the fire against subpar teams w/ the first unit then?

pop's no dummy, he knows we'll need his size for more than just fouls come may.

K-State Spur
01-20-2011, 12:41 PM
In what way(s) is the current use NOT working?

tuncaboylu
01-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Splitter doesn't need game experience, he's a experienced player. Moreover sending him to DL hurts his reputation and destroys his motivation.

That's why it's better to sit in the bench.

ChumpDumper
01-20-2011, 01:26 PM
good point. shouldnt we just throw him in the fire against subpar teams w/ the first unit then?The Spurs play badly enough against subpar teams as it is.

Mel_13
01-20-2011, 01:39 PM
makes sense right???

Nope.

Trainwreck2100
01-20-2011, 02:07 PM
He already played in the d league, its called euroball though

hater
01-20-2011, 02:13 PM
so he can break his ass after a dunk in a measly Dleague game?

at least save his ass for the playoffs and use him to hack-a-Haywood/Bynum/Shaq :D

Ross Parrot
01-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Splitter doesn't need game experience, he's a experienced player. Moreover sending him to DL hurts his reputation and destroys his motivation.

That's why it's better to sit in the bench.

This. He's not a "rookie" like James Anderson. He's done his share of experiences overseas and the way I see it, it'll hurt his game badly.

Fabbs
01-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by dwayne shintzius

good point. shouldnt we just throw him in the fire against subpar teams w/ the first unit then?

The Spurs play badly enough against subpar teams as it is.
Nope.

minutes for Splitter/vs team
16 Clips
19 Philly
26 Cleveland
22 MN
24 Golden State

All wins, mostly convincing.
And that just a few, i didn't go over the whole gamelog.

dwayne shintzius
01-20-2011, 02:32 PM
This. He's not a "rookie" like James Anderson. He's done his share of experiences overseas and the way I see it, it'll hurt his game badly.

since when do you have to be a rookie to get good minutes running and playing in a SPURS SYSTEM?

ChumpDumper
01-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by dwayne shintzius

Nope.

minutes for Splitter/vs team
16 Clips
19 Philly
26 Cleveland
22 MN
24 Golden State

All wins, mostly convincing.
And that just a few, i didn't go over the whole gamelog.Did he play with the first unit?

Give me those minutes.

Thanks.

Fabbs
01-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Did he play with the first unit?

Give me those minutes.

Thanks.
Yes he did.

ChumpDumper
01-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Yes he did.So give me those minutes he played with the first unit in those convincing wins.

I remember quite a few excuses made for Splitter expressly because he wasn't playing with the first unit.

Thanks.

Fabbs
01-20-2011, 03:09 PM
So give me those minutes he played with the first unit in those convincing wins.

I remember quite a few excuses made for Splitter expressly because he wasn't playing with the first unit.

Thanks.
look it up yourself to quote you.

Besides, what if Splitter does come in with the second unit and plays well in a win? Its all good.

Better then being sent to Austin.

dwayne shintzius
01-20-2011, 03:12 PM
what are you trying to imply chumpdumper? we play so poorly our only losses against subpar teams have been to the clips and knicks, who arent even "subpar" in the eyes of many.

ChumpDumper
01-20-2011, 03:12 PM
look it up yourself to quote you.So you can't or are afraid to back up your own position.

Sounds about right.

Besides, what if Splitter does come in with the second unit and plays well in a win? Its all good.The argument that you jumped in to support was that he should play with the first team. Don't you remember?

Better then being sent to Austin.I never advocated his being sent to Austin.

wontstartdumbthreads
01-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Yes he did.

I agree with Chumpdumper. You need to provide some backup. To my recollecttion, he played mostly with the Spurs bench when the game was way out of hand. Or only for a few minutes before the rest of the bench joined him. And when he was in, the lead was ususally whittled away. I imagine someone taking the Spurs and giving points must start to get pretty nervous when Splitter checks in. But maybe at some point, he and Chris Quinn will be kind of like Nash and Stoudamire.

ChumpDumper
01-20-2011, 03:13 PM
what are you trying to imply chumpdumper? we play so poorly our only losses against subpar teams have been to the clips and knicks, who arent even "subpar" in the eyes of many.I was implying nothing. My statement was pretty clear and easily understood.

dwayne shintzius
01-20-2011, 03:22 PM

any support behind this statement?

ChumpDumper
01-20-2011, 03:23 PM
any support behind this statement?Last night's game.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-20-2011, 03:23 PM
He's pretty much stuck right now. Too good for the D-League, yet not able to crack a solid spot in the rotation in the big leagues yet. Much like Mahinmi last year. Not looking good for him, as he's the last guy in the bigman rotation. His best bet is to beat out McDyess since he's the player most similar to and Bonner and Blair bring the shooting and rebounding he can't deliver, but we know that's not gonna happen. What's probably best for him is hoping McDyess goes through with his retirement plan.

dwayne shintzius
01-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Last night's game.

just because we dont shoot 60% from the field means its a bad game.

dejuan would prolly disagree with you.

ChumpDumper
01-20-2011, 03:31 PM
just because we dont shoot 60% from the field means its a bad game.

dejuan would prolly disagree with you.He said he played badly in the first half.

I agree with him and say they played badly against a subpar team.

Mel_13
01-20-2011, 03:38 PM
He's pretty much stuck right now. Too good for the D-League, yet not able to crack a solid spot in the rotation in the big leagues yet. Much like Mahinmi last year. Not looking good for him, as he's the last guy in the bigman rotation. His best bet is to beat out McDyess since he's the player most similar to and Bonner and Blair bring the shooting and rebounding he can't deliver, but we know that's not gonna happen. What's probably best for him is hoping McDyess goes through with his retirement plan.

More like Oberto in 05-06. By the time last season started, the Spurs had already given up on Mahinmi. He was beaten out by Blair for the 4th Big spot during camp and preseason. When the Spurs didn't pick up Ian's option, he became a lame duck.

Oberto (in the first year of a three year contract like Tiago) didn't play much in 05-06 because there were 4 bigs with Spurs experience ahead of him in the rotation. An injury in the first preseason game that year didn't help his chances. Splitter likewise started off as the 5th of 5 bigs, missed camp and preseason, and there hasn't been much in his performance or those ahead of him to necessitate a change in the rotation.

honestfool84
01-20-2011, 03:47 PM

:lol Spurs aren't playing too bad right now, if you look at their record.

Seventyniner
01-20-2011, 05:29 PM
More like Oberto in 05-06. By the time last season started, the Spurs had already given up on Mahinmi. He was beaten out by Blair for the 4th Big spot during camp and preseason. When the Spurs didn't pick up Ian's option, he became a lame duck.

Oberto (in the first year of a three year contract like Tiago) didn't play much in 05-06 because there were 4 bigs with Spurs experience ahead of him in the rotation. An injury in the first preseason game that year didn't help his chances. Splitter likewise started off as the 5th of 5 bigs, missed camp and preseason, and there hasn't been much in his performance or those ahead of him to necessitate a change in the rotation.

:tu

A very apt comparison. This team, even without Splitter, appears to be capable of winning a title, like the 05-06 Spurs. And who could blame Pop for sticking with what's gotten the team this far?

UnWantedTheory
01-20-2011, 06:42 PM
He already played in the d league, its called euroball though

UnWantedTheory
01-20-2011, 06:43 PM
To answer the OP...No, it doesn't make sense.

DMC
01-20-2011, 06:47 PM
I doubt a 3M a year player who's healthy is going to the D league. If that was in the cards, he would be trade bait.

DMC
01-20-2011, 06:49 PM
:lol Spurs aren't playing too bad right now, if you look at their record.

Unfortunately there's more to a story than the ending.

Fabbs
01-20-2011, 07:06 PM
So you can't or are afraid to back up your own position.

Sounds about right.
My position was and is that Splitters playing 8-24 minutes in wins, especially convincing wins is good.

The condition that he HAS to have these minutes with the 1st unit is not mine.
Is it yours?
I realize i was responding to the poster who was suggesting he go in with the 1st unit. Sorry if that confused you. I know you love to jump on any chance to attempt to prove me wrong. And you fail.

I never advocated his being sent to Austin.
Then we're in agreement about that.

I don't know how many of his minutes were with all or some of the 1st unit. But i know his minutes are certainly not all with an entire 2nd unit.

Hey maybe CIA Pops is playing it right and knows about an ongoing injury that Splitts has and thus rests him entire or nearly entire games often??? :toast

ChumpDumper
01-20-2011, 07:14 PM
My position was and is that Splitters playing 8-24 minutes in wins, especially convincing wins is good.

The condition that he HAS to have these minutes with the 1st unit is not mine.
Is it yours?
I realize i was responding to the poster who was suggesting he go in with the 1st unit. Sorry if that confused you. I know you love to jump on any chance to attempt to prove me wrong. And you fail.Hey, you failed to make the distinction, and then you tried to make the argument that he did play with the first unit -- which you did later again in your post without any actual evidence.

You were wrong. :spin

Then we're in agreement about that.

I don't know how many of his minutes were with all or some of the 1st unit. But i know his minutes are certainly not all with an entire 2nd unit.See what I mean?

Hey maybe CIA Pops is playing it right and knows about an ongoing injury that Splitts has and thus rests him entire or nearly entire games often??? :toastI think it mostly stems from Splitter's being injured right out of the gate after playing an entire calendar year of basketball.

ChumpDumper
01-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Ultimately I'd like Splitter to play more, but I'm not gnashing my teeth over it. Mel's comparison to Oberto reinforces my decision to not get that worked up.

kaji157
01-20-2011, 07:35 PM
I am not entirely in favor of splitter HAVING to play with starters but i do think, and every match i am more convinced of this, that playing him with Hill at the point is exasperating for Splitter and almost any big in the league.
Hill averages 2 assist per game, and most of them are inside out to 3pt shooters, the guy is virtually blind when playing the pick n roll and i guess that would be very frustrating for a player like Splitter when his main offensive weapong is the pick n roll game.
I think i never seen Hill pass a ball to the roller succesfully in the last 10 games.

That said, i would like Splitter to share some court time with either Tony or Manu, not all the starters, but one of those two at least. (And let them handle the ball and not Hill of course).

UnWantedTheory
01-20-2011, 07:58 PM
I am not entirely in favor of splitter HAVING to play with starters but i do think, and every match i am more convinced of this, that playing him with Hill at the point is exasperating for Splitter and almost any big in the league.
Hill averages 2 assist per game, and most of them are inside out to 3pt shooters, the guy is virtually blind when playing the pick n roll and i guess that would be very frustrating for a player like Splitter when his main offensive weapon is the pick n roll game.
I think i never seen Hill pass a ball to the roller successfully in the last 10 games.

That said, i would like Splitter to share some court time with either Tony or Manu, not all the starters, but one of those two at least. (And let them handle the ball and not Hill of course).
Very true. Every time Splitter slips, GHill will always miss him. Other times Hill seems to just want to take it himself. It's very frustrating to watch.

BlairForceDejuan
01-20-2011, 07:59 PM
What happens if Blair completely stinks against the Lakers in the playoffs? Splitter will not be ready.

Capt Bringdown
01-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Hill averages 2 assist per game, and most of them are inside out to 3pt shooters, the guy is virtually blind when playing the pick n roll and i guess that would be very frustrating for a player like Splitter when his main offensive weapong is the pick n roll game.
I think i never seen Hill pass a ball to the roller succesfully in the last 10 games.

Very good point. Hill is not much of a passer at all, and Splitter suffers for it.

I think my favorite game of Splitter's so far was the 12/9 he put in vs Denver on Dec 23. In that game he helped the Spurs battle back from a deficit, and wasn't just getting meaningless garbage minutes. I think we saw a glimpse of what he could do that night.

Obviously he's not ready or able to play at this level every night, but with the DNP-CDs and garbage time minutes in which he's paired with guards who refuse to pass him the ball, I guess we'll never know.