PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades - Raptors @ Spurs - January 19th

Cry Havoc
01-20-2011, 02:20 PM
The Spurs took on the Raptors Wednesday night in a game that looked, on paper, to be very much of a blowout. Indeed, it looked that way after the Spurs started the game on a 10-0 run. However, afterward the Spurs had problems finding any shot to go down and had an uncharacteristically bad night from beyond the arc, prompting many Spurs fans to utter such heresy as, "We could really use Matt Bonner back" or, "I miss our ginger." The Spurs struggled massively through the second quarter, and the defense was unable to slow down DeMar DeRozan, who erupted for 20 of his 28 points in the first half. Neal was off. Manu was off. Jefferson didn't even shoot, and Duncan had one attempt the entire second quarter. Talk about tanking the rest of the season to finish 35 and 47 proved premature, however, and the Spurs banded together in the 3rd behind DeJuan Blair's off-ball movement to even the score, then put it away in the fourth behind good guard play from Hill, Parker, Manu, and a vintage Antonio McDyess. The Spurs improved to 36-6, one of the 7 best starts in NBA history.

Player of the game

http://i.imgur.com/mGYJI.jpg

When the Spurs drafted DeJuan Blair with the 37th pick, this is the guy they hoped they were steali-er, drafting. In 35 minutes of action, DeJuan Blair systematically tore apart the Raptor defense. He knew exactly where he needed to be on the floor, and put himself in position to receive the ball with an open path to the hoop. Several times throughout the game, the Raptors switched to a 2-3 zone, and almost every time, Blair immediately found an empty spot on the floor and got the ball. On his best shooting performance of the season since going 7-10 on December 10th, Blair showed a nice mix of hustle plays and actively got penetration inside, as well as hitting some long jumpers to keep the D honest. Blair grabbed 11 rebounds and fought all night long against the Raptors front line, and picked up a steal, an assist, and a block as well. It's disappointing that he didn't flip anyone over his back during the game, but Beast Mode was definitely active tonight, and Blair was the go-to man on offense for much of the game. Aside from a few mental gaffes, this is exactly what the Spurs need from Blair.

Grade: A+ You really can't ask any more of Blair than 11-16 from the field.

Starters:

Tony Parker - B Another solid outing from Tony. He seemed to be sitting back a bit this game and letting things happen, rather than forcing the issue with a lot of penetration (hmmm, I just realized how horrible basketball analysis sounds when you aren't talking about the sport). The Spurs are a better team when Parker is getting into the lane, but I'm not going to be too upset if he's being patient and choosing his spots, rather than constantly attacking and making turnovers. Parker played extremely well, especially in the 3rd quarter swing that won the game for the Spurs. As soon as the Raptors got a bit on their heels, Parker starting pushing the tempo. He also picked up 3 steals and was moving well tonight on D. However, he did seem to disappear at certain points during the game, especially in the second quarter. Parker shot 50% from the field, going 8-16 to go with 5 rebounds and 5 assists. More aggressive drives from Tony will be needed as the Spurs host the Knicks on Friday night in a possible revenge game for San Antonio.

Manu Ginobili - B+ It's pretty ridiculous to try to grade a performance by Manu. What should I focus on? The fact that he was forcing a lot of shots up? Or the fact that he was getting to the line every 4 seconds during the game? Should I lament the fact that he was 1-5 from three, or laud him for leading all Spurs scorers with 23? In a lot of ways, grading Manu is impossible. Perhaps more than any other player I've ever watched, he is truly a man of intangibles and reading between the lines. If he was a movie, he would be a classic like Pulp Fiction or The Big Lebowski, where a person asks you why they are such good movies and you kind of stutter and grin like a buffoon for about 5 minutes until you just tell them to go watch it themselves. When someone asks me in 20 years what made Manu so special, I'm going to have to reply in much the same fashion -- you just have to watch this guy to understand what makes him great. Manu shot 14 free throws... and made every single one. So despite his 4-13 shooting, he still scored 23 points on 13 attempts. Manu's ridiculous season of scoring efficiency continues, leaving Spurs fans to wonder what his PPG average would be if he tried to go for individual stats like Kobe.

Richard Jefferson - D+ The gloves are finally coming off. RJ had a pretty horrible game tonight. He was almost invisible on both sides of the ball, and I don't even recall a single play he made save for the layup in the first quarter. This is a game the Spurs could have desperately used his production in the first half, where the Spurs were up 10 and then found themselves actually trailing by double digits. I would like to see Popovich get Jefferson firmly re-integrated into the offense before he loses confidence, even if it meant losing a game to do so. Jefferson finished with 24 minutes played, and more turnovers (2) than field goals. Maybe he wasn't feeling well, maybe Amir Johnson poured a tranquilizer into his lunch; we'll never know. Most Spurs fans do know that RJ is struggling right now -- to a worrying degree.

Tim Duncan - A- After years of debate, the question of whether or not Tim is a PF or a C has been solved. In reality, he's a PG, as he demonstrated by grabbing a rebound and then running the entire floor Wednesday night, finishing the play with a beautiful assist to DeJuan Blair. Duncan was wise to realize that tonight was Blair's night on offense, and therefore spent much of his energy on the other side of the court, where his 3 blocks as a stat is questionable, since I seem to recall Duncan getting 3 swats in the first half alone. Let there be no doubt -- the Raptors were very, very wary of getting into the paint with Tim around. He was a hawk, completely shutting down interior penetration for much of the game, save for the 2nd quarter when the entire team must have been rolling up characters to go questing with Tim in Dungeons and Dragons. Duncan had 12 boards to go with 10 points and 4 beautiful assists, and looked comfortable all night.

Bench

Antonio McDyess - A Say what you want about his point total of 8. McDyess was balling on this night. Two thunderous jams punctuated his play, and made Spurs fans sigh sadly thinking about his potential retirement next year. Dice looked like a man who wanted to be on the court tonight, a guy who was having fun playing basketball. He seemed to be constantly in motion on both sides, and his energetic play seethed out to the rest of the Spurs. Dice was a pest on both sides of the ball, picking up 3 steals to go with 4 assists and 6 boards in 28 minutes, a (tied) high for any bench player tonight.

George Hill - B- George Hill can barely be called a bench player any longer. His quality of play is so consistent that it's going to call for increased grading difficulty, and in this vein, George only did the mean or slightly above tonight for his talent, and the play he's shown in the past. That said, he was a good player tonight for the Spurs, one of 5 guys in double figures with 14 points on 4-9 shooting. He also had 6 rebounds and no turnovers, but struggled shooting from deep, going 1-4. Sent text messages were sadly not a recorded stat for this contest.

Gary Neal - D Neal has been the Spurs most consistent pure shooting threat this season outside of perhaps Matt Bonner, and since the ginger doesn't really do anything else except shoot threes, the Spurs need Neal to be versatile and hit from wherever he's open. Tonight, he completely failed the Spurs in that aspect. 3-11 shooting is just not acceptable for Neal, and he's starting to show signs of streakiness to his shooting, as 2 of his last 3 games have been poor performances. Neal did go 2-4 from downtown, but was open for many of his shots. Along with RJ's dip in productivity, the Spurs coaching staff has reason to be slightly concerned at this point in the season.

Owens & Splitter - 3 minutes. Woot.

Chris Quinn - Did not play. You have to wonder if he's calling up other teams asking if they need a 6'2" point who can occasionally knock down a 3.

Gregg Popovich - B+ At this point, it's kind of silly to really criticize Popovich, considering the team is 36 and 6, and owns both the best home and road record in the league. But I'm starting to scratch my head at the defensive lapses that the Spurs undergo. Letting DeRozan go off for 20 points in a half is just unacceptable against a depleted Raptors team. However, Pop made adjustments, and I definitely love seeing Blair get 35 minutes with the way he was playing. So Pop will have to take his B+ and like it.

byrontx
01-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Enjoyed your wirte-up, Cry. Thanks. Spot-on with the grades (and Manu).

Penya
01-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Nice read :tu
but...

as the Spurs head to Madison Square Garden to play the Knicks on Friday night.
:downspin:

xellos88330
01-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Loved the Manu writeup. Classic stuff!!

duncan228
01-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Tim Duncan - A- After years of debate, the question of whether or not Tim is a PF or a C has been solved. In reality, he's a PG, as he demonstrated by grabbing a rebound and then running the entire floor Wednesday night, finishing the play with a beautiful assist to DeJuan Blair.

:lol He still wants to be Magic after all these years.

Duncan's court vision and his passing can be under-rated. He's always had a well-rounded game, and it's fun to see him break out of the mold.

Nicely done Cry Havoc. Appreciate the breakdown. :tu

Rummpd
01-20-2011, 02:57 PM
"Spurs improved to 36-6, one of the 7 best starts in NBA history"

Link for the above and their eventual outcome to the season?

Mel_13
01-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Great write-up.

As to this:

In a lot of ways, grading Manu is impossible. Perhaps more than any other player I've ever watched, he is truly a man of intangibles and reading between the lines. If he was a movie, he would be a classic like Pulp Fiction or The Big Lebowski, where a person asks you why they are such good movies and you kind of stutter and grin like a buffoon for about 5 minutes until you just tell them to go watch it themselves. When someone asks me in 20 years what made Manu so special, I'm going to have to reply in much the same fashion -- you just have to watch this guy to understand what makes him great.

I've been lucky enough to see Manu play well over 200 times. The best description I can offer is that he's worth the price of admission.

Cry Havoc
01-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Nice read :tu
but...

:downspin:

Nice call, edited.

Cry Havoc
01-20-2011, 03:15 PM
:lol He still wants to be Magic after all these years.

Duncan's court vision and his passing can be under-rated. He's always had a well-rounded game, and it's fun to see him break out of the mold.

Nicely done Cry Havoc. Appreciate the breakdown. :tu

Tim's ability to run while controlling the ball is staggering for a big man. He was never as fast as David Robinson, but I would love to see a demonstration of Tim just doing And-1 type stuff with the ball. He has some crazy fluid handles when he's in the open in transition. That pass to Blair couldn't have been more perfect from Parker or Steve Nash.

Pauleta14
01-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Great job! Thanks.

You have my vote to keep doing it... :)

Cry Havoc
01-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Do you guys like the Player of the Game section? Should I keep it? Is there anything else you would like to see added?

z0sa
01-20-2011, 03:23 PM
:tu

jestersmash
01-20-2011, 03:29 PM
I enjoy these more than timvp's grades :stirpot:

Good stuff as always. Enjoyed the Manu write up, particularly.

As a role player, I'm reluctant to penalize Gary Neal for taking good shots, even if he misses a lot of them. If anything, I'd say he'll occasionally have a play or two per game where he might be stepping beyond his boundaries taking mid-range, off-balance, lean-in jumpers/runners. That to me is cause for more concern than missing shots, though at the same time he's certainly earned a "heat check" play here or there every couple of games. I'd like to see him tone it down a bit, though.

If he's run off the 3 and starts to drive, I'd like to see him get better at determining if he has a good shot mid-range. Otherwise, I'd like him to pass the ball back out to Tony/Manu/Hill provided that there's sufficient time remaining on the clock, of course.

Dex
01-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Do you guys like the Player of the Game section? Should I keep it?

I like it. :tu

Is there anything else you would like to see added?

Another G to Pop's name. :toast

Maybe a Defender of the Game or something like that...X-Factor, Turning Point, some other random tidbit. But even that's probably stretching it.

Cry Havoc
01-20-2011, 03:43 PM
I enjoy these more than timvp's grades :stirpot:

:wow :wow :wow That's high praise.

Good stuff as always. Enjoyed the Manu write up, particularly.

As a role player, I'm reluctant to penalize Gary Neal for taking good shots, even if he misses a lot of them. If anything, I'd say he'll occasionally have a play or two per game where he might be stepping beyond his boundaries taking mid-range, off-balance, lean-in jumpers/runners. That to me is cause for more concern than missing shots, though at the same time he's certainly earned a "heat check" play here or there every couple of games. I'd like to see him tone it down a bit, though.

That's a good point. Neal needs to keep firing away. But he didn't do much else to help the team last night. :(

If he's run off the 3 and starts to drive, I'd like to see him get better at determining if he has a good shot mid-range. Otherwise, I'd like him to pass the ball back out to Tony/Manu/Hill provided that there's sufficient time remaining on the clock, of course.

I don't mind Neal driving, but the off-balance stuff is just bad.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Very well done Havoc :tu Great read and fair grades. Keep it up bro

ForeignFan
01-20-2011, 03:49 PM
great recap for those (like me) who cannot watch the games. Thanks !

Cry Havoc
01-20-2011, 03:51 PM

That's why I'm doing them. :tu

dbestpro
01-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Grades are good, but Neal for me gets at least a C because he helped us pull away with those threes in the 4th quarter when no one still could not hit from outside.

Blair had great numbers and deserves a lot of credit. Now, if he can play that way 9 out of 10 games instead of 1 out of 10 then we really have got something.

duncan228
01-20-2011, 04:18 PM

It's also great for those that can watch. Post-game conversations bring other views on the game, bring things up you might have missed, can bring ideas about particular plays or rotations or anything else that comes to mind. It's always appreciated when people take the time to present their thoughts. :)

mazerrackham
01-20-2011, 04:20 PM
good work Cry, I know these write-ups take work as I've done a couple ones myself. Keep it up :)

Pauleta14
01-20-2011, 04:24 PM
You can add the "play of the game" ...

4>0rings
01-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Glad the coach gets a grade in these now.

Blake
01-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Gary Neal - D

a little harsh on his shooting performance considering Manu went 4-13 and you gave him a B+.

Neal's +/- was +10 for the game, and I thought his 3 balls in the 2nd half were very timely.

C+, imo.

I'd agree with everything else. :tu

jjktkk
01-20-2011, 04:50 PM
a little harsh on his shooting performance considering Manu went 4-13 and you gave him a B+.

Neal's +/- was +10 for the game, and I thought his 3 balls in the 2nd half were very timely.

C+, imo.

The thing I'm most impressed by Neal is that hes still shooting, not shriveling up like some rookies, or young players who go on a cold shooting streak.

Brazil
01-20-2011, 04:52 PM
TP found back his jumper, with that weapon everything is easier for him and for the spurs.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Nice work, Havoc! :tu

I wish Blair could be consistent game after game...he's the ultimate "box of chocolates" type of player...you never really know what you're going to get. I used to think it was all matchups, but now it almost looks like a focus issue on some nights.

This team is so much better than last year...obviously some of the missing pieces from '09-'10 are there now. I think some of the defensive lapses are simply out of boredom. Heck, they're at 36 wins and it's not even March yet.

rjv
01-20-2011, 04:55 PM
i'll give splitter one quick nod for the nice block he had near the end of the game

Spurs Brazil
01-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Great job again Cry Havoc

I would give Tony a B+. I think he did a fantastic job with the bench players in the 3rd to take the lead and extend it a little bit. If they played Calderon on Tony the whole game he would go for 30. It was very easy to score on him, that's why they played a lot of zone

Seventyniner
01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Heck, they're at 36 wins and it's not even the end of January yet.

Fixed.

CubanMustGo
01-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Really nice writeup, thanks for the effort and solid analysis. Only quibble is the B+ for Manu, who before he got going dribbled the ball off his foot several times. He just seemed to hurry his offense - which helped contribute to the first half problems. I'd be happier with a B. :)

Spurminator
01-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Good job. Keep these coming.

mingus
01-20-2011, 06:11 PM
nice.

there are some games where i think Blair has potential All-Star written all over him (assumming his knees don't give out, which they will), others where he belongs out of the rotation. one of the most frustrating players as far as consistancy that i can remember seeing for the Spurs. that said, great game tonight. lets see what Blair we get the next game.

Neal i'm not worried about at all. he's played well for a long time, he's bound to have stretches where it's not going in for him. he's not perfect.

the guy i'm worried about from a shooting standpoint is Ginobili. his shooting %, esp from 3, has been really bad lately. i don't know if it's a confidence issue or what. the thing is they're not even on target. they're mostly either right or left. he's pretty much a career (or like the last 5 or so seasons) 40% 3-point shooter. he's dipped a little bit below or above that, but never where he's at right now, which is 36% or so. his shot creates driving opportunities for him, and if his bad % keeps up, you have to expect that teams will start guarding him accordingly.

UnWantedTheory
01-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Solid job. I think the Player Of The Game is a great addition. Keep it up!

UnWantedTheory
01-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Oh! I would bump Neal up to a C- though. Other than that, I completely agree.

DMC
01-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Good job as always CH.

I think Neal and Hill both suffer from the same bug, Hill moreso that Neal. They both do well when the team is doing well (sounds profound I know), but when the rest of the team is struggling, they struggle too. Neal has had moments where that's not the case, and last night he was the ice breaker from long range if I recall.

If I had any complaint against Neal, it wasn't his shooting, but that he turned down open looks that he normally takes. Neal is dangerous because he's got a short memory, but short of self destructive like JR Smith. When you see Gary hesitate on a wide open look, you start to worry about his confidence. Shoot that damn ball. It's certainly not going in if you don't shoot it.

temujin
01-20-2011, 06:52 PM
You forgot the decisive player:

Andrea Bargnani - A+++++++++++++
Started with a shot 1 foot wide. Kept firing shots from everywhere, mixing wide open misses in the first half, with out-of-rithm bricks in the second half. Never bothered driving, after those two easy baskets in the first half. Finally, a trademark of his, hitting 2 shots when the game was over. Invisible on defense, will get multiple Christmas postcards from Blair.

trollt
01-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Cry Havoc - A based on the FF III avatar alone. Would have been an A + except he used an image from the PSX port instead of a sprite from the 16-bit original.

Cry Havoc
01-20-2011, 11:42 PM
Cry Havoc - A based on the FF III avatar alone. Would have been an A + except he used an image from the PSX port instead of a sprite from the 16-bit original.

:tu You're the first person to recognize that, or at least the first person to say it. I thought Kefka looked particularly badass here, so I went with it.

FFVI is the best RPG of all-time, IMO. :toast

cutewizard
01-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Excellent Analysis!

Keep it up please....

Go Spurs go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awktalk
01-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Fixed.

What's crazy is that with 5 games remaining this month, we could have 40 wins by end of January. And potentially 3 10+ win streaks on the season. Ridonculous numbers.

Supergirl
01-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Little harsh on RJ and Neal. Both are shooters and will have poor shooting nights sometimes, but both are playing decent enough defense to warrant C's. Most important is that they both keep shooting. Neal esp you have to take the misses - he's our 3 pt specialist, which means sometimes it will fall, and sometimes it won't. But he's got to keep taking them, whenever he's open.

Manufan909
01-21-2011, 02:25 PM

C+, imo.

He's not grading shooting performance only, but every single aspect of the game. Even concerning your incorrect point, Manu did shooting 100% on 14 FTs, that would count as sp.

To CryHavoc, love the player of the game bit, and the humor. Keep it up!!! And don't be an a-hole like timvp and get someone pregnant.:hat

Nice work, Havoc! :tu

I wish Blair could be consistent game after game...he's the ultimate "box of chocolates" type of player...you never really know what you're going to get. I used to think it was all matchups, but now it almost looks like a focus issue on some nights.

This team is so much better than last year...obviously some of the missing pieces from '09-'10 are there now. I think some of the defensive lapses are simply out of boredom. Heck, they're at 36 wins and it's not even March yet.

He is really just an excellent role-player, who shouldn't start. Too bad Splitter won't be able to prove this year that he's the better player (if in fact he is). People need to calm down about mentioning his inconsistency, he gets the minutes he deserves, unlike Bonner and Splitter.:depressed

What's crazy is that with 5 games remaining this month, we could have 40 wins by end of January. And potentially 3 10+ win streaks on the season. Ridonculous numbers.

Ridonculous indeed.:toast I want that 3rd game winning streak REALLY badly now.:ihit

Cry Havoc
01-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Little harsh on RJ and Neal. Both are shooters and will have poor shooting nights sometimes, but both are playing decent enough defense to warrant C's. Most important is that they both keep shooting. Neal esp you have to take the misses - he's our 3 pt specialist, which means sometimes it will fall, and sometimes it won't. But he's got to keep taking them, whenever he's open.

For those of you wondering about the grades for Neal/RJ:

A C grade means they play to their abilities. This means they would have an average game in most or all aspects. To earn a B, you have to actually play better than your average dictates, or I have to see something special from the player. If Tony scores under his career average and only shoots 50% from the field, yet keys a huge 4th quarter run with some good defense and attacking the hoop, he might get over a C.

However, from what I saw of Neal and Jefferson, they both played substantially under their capabilities. It wasn't just poor shooting, although that certainly makes a difference, considering if you're a shooter and you shoot poorly, it's hurting the team. Neal and Jefferson didn't make enough of an impact on either side of the ball to warrant giving them anything better than a C, and they had a bad shooting game, so they probably hurt more than they helped. Neal did go 2-4 from 3, but again, that's something I expect from him night in and night out.

Blake
01-21-2011, 02:58 PM
For those of you wondering about the grades for Neal/RJ:

A C grade means they play to their abilities. This means they would have an average game in most or all aspects. To earn a B, you have to actually play better than your average dictates, or I have to see something special from the player. If Tony scores under his career average and only shoots 50% from the field, yet keys a huge 4th quarter run with some good defense and attacking the hoop, he might get over a C.

However, from what I saw of Neal and Jefferson, they both played substantially under their capabilities. It wasn't just poor shooting, although that certainly makes a difference, considering if you're a shooter and you shoot poorly, it's hurting the team. Neal and Jefferson didn't make enough of an impact on either side of the ball to warrant giving them anything better than a C, and they had a bad shooting game, so they probably hurt more than they helped. Neal did go 2-4 from 3, but again, that's something I expect from him night in and night out.

so explain again why Manu got a B+ after going 4-13 and getting just 4 points over his scoring average?

or why Tim got an A- for going 3-7 and 10 points?

Cry Havoc
01-21-2011, 08:09 PM
so explain again why Manu got a B+ after going 4-13 and getting just 4 points over his scoring average?

or why Tim got an A- for going 3-7 and 10 points?

Did you read what I said about Manu and Tim? Did you actually read what I said in the paragraph in my last post? It's amazing I can post this:

"If Tony scores under his career average and only shoots 50% from the field, yet keys a huge 4th quarter run with some good defense and attacking the hoop, he might get over a C."

And then have people ask me why Manu got a good grade for scoring "only" 4 points over his average (which is a pretty big difference, btw).

urunobili
01-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Cry Havoc delivers, that is all there is to say :tu

First team Spurstalk baby :tu