PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Popovich wins the old-school way

duncan228
01-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Spurs' Popovich wins the old-school way (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/20/3340261/spurs-popovich-wins-the-old-school.html)
By David Ramsey
The Gazette

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- For 13 seasons, Air Force Academy grad Gregg Popovich labored in Tim Duncan's gigantic shadow.

Not that Popovich was complaining. In 2008, Popovich speculated where he would be without Duncan.

"I'd be coaching a third-grade team some place in America," Popovich said. An overstatement, sure, but a funny one.

But as Duncan's dominance fades, we can see Popovich more clearly.

Yes, Duncan is one of the top dozen players to ever compete in the NBA, but we already knew that. The news is Popovich ranks among the association's top five all-time coaches.

The Spurs are roaring, even though Duncan is aging. Duncan once towered as the NBA's most dominating force. Now, he's the Spurs' third-best player.

Doesn't matter. Under Popovich's precise, demanding direction, San Antonio has rolled to a 36-6 record and could become the second team in NBA history to win 70 games.

I listen to constant gripes about the NBA. Nobody plays defense. Nobody passes the ball. Nobody plays with this-might-be-the-last-game-of-my-life passion.

And I have one question for those who gripe:

You seen the Spurs?

Popovich stubbornly stands against NBA trends. In a league where stars rule franchises, he's the benevolent dictator who points always to team. In an era when offense rules, Popovich preaches defense. At a time when diva stars decline to pass, Popovich requires generosity.

Colorado Springs resident Hank Egan has been watching Popovich grow for 44 years. In 1966, Egan was serving as assistant basketball coach at Air Force when Popovich arrived from northern Indiana for his freshman year.

Popovich was a 6-foot-3 inside player with primitive ballhandling skills. Air Force had not recruited him for basketball. No school had recruited Popovich.

Yet Egan could sense Popovich's enormous hunger to succeed. By his senior season, the player nobody wanted served as team captain, averaged 14.3 points and carried the Falcons to a 12-12 record.

Egan later became Air Force's head coach, and Popovich spent six seasons (1973-79) as assistant coach for the Falcons. The men are close friends and talk several times a month by phone.

Before this season, Egan flew to San Antonio and spent several nights at Popovich's home. Egan watched closely as Popovich worked with players at practice.

By Popovich's standards, which are lofty, the Spurs were in decline. Duncan and Popovich won four NBA titles from 1999-2007, but watched the Finals from home the past three seasons.

Popovich refused to take a radical route. He kept his roster largely intact and worked patiently as a teacher. He gave special attention to Richard Jefferson, who struggled last season to play basketball Spurs-style.

"He's not a tinkerer," Egan said. "He knows what he believes in, and he may massage it, but he doesn't get panicky if it doesn't work for a while."

Egan could see the Spurs would wear down opponents with a deep, talented bench. He could see guard Tony Parker and forward Manu Ginobili were destined for big seasons. He could see Jefferson finally understood Popovich's complex message.

"The fact they're playing this well doesn't surprise me," Egan said. "He's back in the groove again."

He sure is.

Yes, the Heat and Celtics lurk in the East, and Kobe Bryant, the King of Basketball, still takes and makes ridiculous shots for the Lakers. The road to another title is perilous, jammed with frightening obstacles.

Still, it's a mistake to bet against Popovich. It's always a mistake to bet against Popovich.

He already owns four rings. By this summer, he should be wearing one on his thumb.

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/20/3340261/spurs-popovich-wins-the-old-school.html

honestfool84
01-20-2011, 11:07 PM
oh, i hope Pop has a ring on his thumb come this October.

Blackjack
01-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Popovich may be old-school but he does have a few tricks up his sleeve.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/photos/110119_21.jpg

Namely, the Crane . . .

awktalk
01-21-2011, 01:28 AM
FO press release? That, my friends, is what those in the media complex call a reach-around.

Dex
01-21-2011, 02:15 AM
Popovich may be old-school but he does have a few tricks up his sleeve.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/photos/110119_21.jpg

Namely, the Crane . . .

Sweep the leg!

Blackjack
01-21-2011, 02:27 AM
Sweep the leg!

I used to think Johnny, now I think Trainwreck.

Great sig. :cry

Doctor J
01-21-2011, 03:55 AM
Good read. Thanks for posting, duncan228.

Manu-of-steel
01-21-2011, 04:38 AM
Nice. Thanks Duncan228.

lefty
06-07-2011, 02:38 PM
He already owns four rings. By this summer, he should be wearing one on his thumb.

Well, yes

Fabbs
06-07-2011, 02:53 PM
[url]Pop has agreed to Dick Jefferson and Matty Bonners request he wear a cock ring by this summer.