PDA

View Full Version : 42 games in: State of the Union

Quasar
01-21-2011, 10:00 AM
I enjoy reading the game thoughts and thought I'd chime in for once. I'm usually a box-score spectator as I live in Australia, but I managed to watch some recent games thanks to the league pass being temporarily free.

I don't watch enough games to give full reports on every player's progress, but I will touch some on the players whose play struck me.

Tony
Finally seeing the new offense with my own eyes, I'm impressed at how frequently Tony has been beating 3-4 defenders in fast-breaks. He proved undoubtedly that he is one of the best fast-break finishers in the league...

However, it seems like Parker's long-range accuracy - which was steadily improving the past seasons - has taken a dip. Also, it appears he attempts less long-range shots these days, probably a good decision as he is surrounded by more capable shooters in Hill, Manu, Neal, Bonner, and RJ, to a lesser extent.

Perhaps Parker will need to spend yet another summer with Chip Engelland to be able to regain his effectiveness from the triple-threat position. Nevertheless, opposing players still find it very difficult to stop him despite his game being 99% penetration. Let's hope Phil J's tactics against Tony will be less effective this time if we meet the Lakers in the playoffs.

Manu
This man is a game changer... He's my favorite player, and probably the "clutchest", most efficient assassin I've ever seen play. I used to expect last-minute heroics from Jordan when he was still playing, and I've come to expect the same momentum-changing plays from Manu.

Yet again this season, this 'old' man just finds a way to score or assist whenever the team goes through droughts (e.g. vs Toronto); I find myself expecting every shot he takes to go in! Despite my lofty expectations, Ginobili still surprises me with the moves he manages to pull off, often-times making me rewind several times just to understand what transpired!

And then rewinding again just to bask in his craftiness and skill! Stone cold Manu!

Richard Jefferson
RJ seemed to miss most of the shots he took in the recent games and didn't do anything impressive on D either. Worse, he was caught out of position several times, allowing his man to score.

I came in expecting a lot from him despite his recent slump as recent posts about him on ST remained positive. What a disappointment from the man who is supposed to be THE difference maker this season, after all the early-season hype!

He was practically invisible on the court as he did nothing to stand out despite his minutes: neither hard work (unlike Bonner, Neal) nor outstanding skill (Hill, McDyess, Manu, Parker).

I'll go back and watch some early-season games just to see what the fuss was all about.

-------------Edit----------------
I realized I was being a bit harsh... Being "practically invisible" also means he didn't do much wrong either, outside of his mental lapses on D. I didn't notice bad shots or selfish play, and he certainly did not bog down the offense. While he kept missing the few open shots he took, at least he took them confidently!

It is true I tend to concentrate more on the bad than the good... but that is because I was expecting a lot after reading about his drastic improvement. Remember his great numbers earlier on, and the talk about him winning the most improved player award?

One thing I note is that the players were not really demonstrative around him, e.g. I didn't see much tapping of heads, hands, or butts with him after great plays. Heck, even Timmy completely ignored him when RJ came to "tap" him after a FT in the last Milwaukee game.

There was nothing much coming from Jefferson either, so perhaps the gay vibes from him made the others uncomfortable. Perhaps RJ was hoping for more acknowledgement from the other players and he feels left out? It is true he rarely gets plays run for him despite putting the 4 in our Big 4.
--------------------------------

Matt Bonner
It is actually my first time seeing him play after reading so much about him on ST. Bonner gives his all every minute he spends on the court and is extremely active both on O and D.

Despite his lack of athleticism and skill, I think the general dislike for him is undeserved as he rarely makes mistakes. It is not his fault Pop plays him over Splitter/Blair, unless you consider his good play being his 'fault'.

Neal
The dude plays like he belongs - shoots without hesitation when open, and even when not really open. Amazing shot and quick release. Unfortunately, he seems to be in a slump in the past few games I watched... Even worse, it must be quite humiliating for a 'shooter' to miss 2 consecutive free throws.

All in all, I think this guy has it in him to be an X-Factor in the play-offs, like SJax.

McDyess
Antonio, please do not retire, you have so much game left in the tank! The highlight dunks vs Toronto were awesome!

This man is probably the best big on the Spurs. In some games, I think he plays even better than Duncan who seems a bit rusty / out of sorts.

Blair & Hill
The future Spurs core players had seemingly regressed earlier this season, but seems like they're steadily making their way back! Both exude confidence whenever they're on the court, which is great. However, Hill still needs to work on his court vision...

Splitter
He seems pretty skilled for a human victory cigar - even in the 1 min+ he played vs Milwaukee, he guarded his players very well. Whoever compared him to Rasho must be out of his mind - this guy is far more athletically gifted than Frankenstein! He seems to have the fundamentals down pat as well.

I can't fathom why Pop is not giving him a chance - if this goes on for a few more weeks, it will probably be too late for Tiago to make the playoff rotation. Bonner's injury came at the right time for Tiago, but I hope Bonner's play won't be affected when he comes back, unlike last year.

I need to watch more games (especially vs Denver) before I can say more about Tiago... Perhaps Pop just doesn't like white centers?

Looking forward
Despite showing some glimpses of their true ability, the Spurs are definitely not clicking on all cylinders yet. While this leads us to hope for the best, one has to worry about such a great core of players remaining inconsistent to the bitter end, especially as this season's approach brings us in unchartered waters.

Will the core players be burnt out before the end of the season? Will we be able to avoid the injury bug? Will the defense shore up in time?

Championships require luck and skill... let us hope all the hard work put in will come to fruition. This is an odd year after all!

:flag:

:lobt2:

urunobili
01-21-2011, 10:22 AM
CROFL the RJ hate

He already prove he IS the x factor by being the MVP of the game we won in Dallas to defeat the Mavs last Playoffs...

nkdlunch
01-21-2011, 01:48 PM
RJ has been sucking as of late.

let's hope it's just a mid season slump

tdunk21
01-21-2011, 02:10 PM
am looking forward for the all star break and the rodeo road trip, coz usually we get our shit together during that time......

TDMVPDPOY
01-21-2011, 02:54 PM
repeat our 1st half season record for 2nd half, we on pace 70-12

Blackjack
01-21-2011, 04:13 PM
However, it seems like Parker's long-range accuracy - which was steadily improving the past seasons - has taken a dip.

I'm not up to posting the Hotspots pics but the thing that really sticks out between '09 and the last two years for Tony is his proficiency from 16-23 feet. He didn't shoot below 42% from anywhere on the court in that range and shot 45% overall, his highest mark of any year -- currently shooting it at 39% overall after shooting it at 37% last year, which are in line with his career average.

But I have noticed his inside-out dribble to step-back coming off the dribble becoming more consistent. I've seen a handful of shots in the last 2-3 games that looked like the '09 version of Parker and that's a great sign if he can become that shooter again -- and even better if he keeps working and improving at the corner three Pop's been making him practice.

Matt Bonner
It is actually my first time seeing him play after reading so much about him on ST. Bonner gives his all every minute he spends on the court and is extremely active both on O and D.

Despite his lack of athleticism and skill, I think the general dislike for him is undeserved as he rarely makes mistakes. It is not his fault Pop plays him over Splitter/Blair, unless you consider his good play being his 'fault'.

Accurate assessment and it's one I try to convey when it comes to Bonner, but frustration with the coach can make it seem like Matty's the one to blame -- he's not.

I respect Matt's ability and love the guy as a person, I just don't believe he's cut out for the prominent role he's asked to play. But I'd love to be wrong about that, him. I, and I'm sure plenty of others, would love to live in a world where the Spurs could win at the highest of levels with a guy like Matt bombing 3s. You wouldn't be able to keep his jerseys on the shelf . . .

Looking forward
Despite showing some glimpses of their true ability, the Spurs are definitely not clicking on all cylinders yet. While this leads us to hope for the best, one has to worry about such a great core of players remaining inconsistent to the bitter end, especially as this season's approach brings us in unchartered waters.

Will the core players be burnt out before the end of the season? Will we be able to avoid the injury bug? Will the defense shore up in time?

Championships require luck and skill... let us hope all the hard work put in will come to fruition. This is an odd year after all!

:flag:

:lobt2:

Post more, Quasar. :tu

Quasar
01-21-2011, 05:59 PM
CROFL the RJ hate. He already prove he IS the x factor by being the MVP of the game we won in Dallas to defeat the Mavs last Playoffs...

I don't "hate" on him per say... just hoped for better from him. I edited the post to add this:

I realized I was being a bit harsh... Being "practically invisible" also means he didn't do much wrong either, outside of his mental lapses on D. I didn't notice bad shots or selfish play, and he certainly did not bog down the offense. While he kept missing the few open shots he took, at least he took them confidently!

It is true I tend to concentrate more on the bad than the good... but that is because I was expecting a lot after reading about his drastic improvement. Remember his great numbers earlier on, and the talk about him winning the most improved player award?

One thing I note is that the players were not really demonstrative around him, e.g. I didn't see much tapping of heads, hands, or butts with him after great plays. Heck, even Timmy completely ignored him when RJ came to "tap" him after a FT in the last Milwaukee game.

There was nothing much coming from Jefferson either, so perhaps the gay vibes from him made the others uncomfortable. Perhaps RJ was hoping for more acknowledgement from the other players and he feels left out? It is true he rarely gets plays run for him despite putting the 4 in our Big 4.

Quasar
01-21-2011, 05:59 PM
repeat our 1st half season record for 2nd half, we on pace 70-12

am looking forward for the all star break and the rodeo road trip, coz usually we get our shit together during that time......

This is what is the most impressive about this season:

1. The Spurs are still not playing up to their full potential as a team (both on O & D)
2. Important players such as RJ, Hill, and Blair were under-performing until recently. Neal has also been streaky. If you add Splitter to that list, then you have to wonder if the bench (outside of McDyess) is really doing anything worthwhile!
3. Manu & Tony are playing close to their career averages in minutes while Tim's has taken a big drop - one would expect higher mileage due to their great record

Despite all the above, we're still on course for a historic pace.

Perhaps the 3-4 easier transition baskets they make per game have indeed made the difference. After all, the win margin is around 7+ points per game, that is, just 3-4 baskets more!

On the flip side, I wonder if our players will be able to build up sufficient stamina for the playoffs to play 40+ minutes per game (if needed) after their bodies got used to playing ~30mins per game. The risk of injury goes up with unusual fatigue...

Quasar
01-23-2011, 02:34 AM
I'm not up to posting the Hotspots pics but the thing that really sticks out between '09 and the last two years for Tony is his proficiency from 16-23 feet. He didn't shoot below 42% from anywhere on the court in that range and shot 45% overall, his highest mark of any year -- currently shooting it at 39% overall after shooting it at 37% last year, which are in line with his career average.

But I have noticed his inside-out dribble to step-back coming off the dribble becoming more consistent. I've seen a handful of shots in the last 2-3 games that looked like the '09 version of Parker and that's a great sign if he can become that shooter again -- and even better if he keeps working and improving at the corner three Pop's been making him practice.

Sorry for the late reply, I spent some time trying to find the hotspot for TP but my google-fu failed me this time. The NBA hotspot site only has data until last season's playoffs. The best I could find was just his jump-shooting percentage from 82games:

Year Att. eFG% Ast'd Blk'd Pts
07-08 62% .419 31% 3% 7.9 (http://www.82games.com/0708/07SAS1D.HTM)
08-09 59% .424 27% 4% 8.7 (http://www.82games.com/0809/08SAS1.HTM)
09-10 61% .402 30% 4% 6.3 (http://www.82games.com/0910/09SAS1.HTM)
10-11 58% .439 27% 4% 7.0 (http://www.82games.com/1011/10SAS1.HTM)

While I was right that he shoots from long-range less often this year, you're totally right that his shooting percentage is actually up!

Tony has been great despite all the off-court troubles!

Blackjack
01-23-2011, 02:47 AM
Yeah, not sure what's up with HotSpots. But you can still see the difference in that 16-23' range between his 2008-09 and 2009-10 seasons using it. If you want it all in one place without the pic, Hoopdata's where you need to look.

Here's the link (http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Tony%20Parker).

Quasar
01-23-2011, 05:54 AM
Hey BlackJack, what do you think of Splitter?

I finally saw him for extended minutes today... he's quite skilled but:

1. He seems to lose many rebounds that fall around him. Either opponents take them out of his hands, or they just grab it above him, despite him having better position. Nevertheless, one reason I could find is that he doesn't commit for the rebound all the way - he concentrates more on boxing out....

2. For some reason, Pop hasn't tried the twin towers approach. Splitter either plays with Blair or McDyess but not Duncan. I understand that both Splitter and Duncan don't shoot that well from mid-range but it should be worth a shot just for the D.

Blackjack
01-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Hey BlackJack, what do you think of Splitter?

I finally saw him for extended minutes today... he's quite skilled but:

1. He seems to lose many rebounds that fall around him. Either opponents take them out of his hands, or they just grab it above him, despite him having better position. Nevertheless, one reason I could find is that he doesn't commit for the rebound all the way - he concentrates more on boxing out....

Unfortunately, though I'm sure he'll improve to some degree with time, rebounding is a lot about want-to and attitude. Hands help, positioning is important, but there's a difference between guys that have and do the majority of the right things and those that just believe the ball is theirs, attacking it as if it were the last piece of chum in the water -- ain't no one getting it but them.

Tiago's disposition is to do the majority of the right things, box-out and be in the right position, but he doesn't attack the ball as much as he attempts to secure it. He's often too upright and using too much upper body -- it's much easier to take the ball away from someone that doesn't jump through the ball using their legs and those that are attempting to secure the ball with essentially their arms and nothing else. It's the difference between throwing a punch or swinging a bat with two feet firmly on the ground (maximizing power and strength) and lifting your plant leg as you swing (which cuts power and strength in about half).

That's the technicality of it but it's an instinctive, born trait for the really good rebounders. And even if guys like Tiago know what they're supposed to do, they don't often become significantly better rebounders. It's just an attitude and want-to that you either have or you don't -- Tiago's just never been a standout rebounder.

2. For some reason, Pop hasn't tried the twin towers approach. Splitter either plays with Blair or McDyess but not Duncan. I understand that both Splitter and Duncan don't shoot that well from mid-range but it should be worth a shot just for the D.

I'd be lying if I told you I know for sure.

I'm higher on Blair than most of the posters I've seen speak of him. I believe Pop is too. Many have viewed Splitter as the potential future star of the front court, but I'd put my money on Blair. I'm not sure most understand or speak up enough for me to know they understand how talented and gifted he is.

So with that in mind, I really believe Pop views Blair as having the potential to be really big for them this year. And in somewhat similar fashion to how he handed the reins to Tony upon arrival (positionally speaking), I think DeJuan is being afforded that same respect, opportunity.

We all know the value Pop ascribes to Bonner and his skillset. And with as well as the team and Bonner individually got off to playing, I'm sure Pop had a hard time finding time for a guy who was new to the team and system and hadn't been able to get up to speed because of injury -- if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it with on-the-job training, in other words.

Quasar
01-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Pop viewing Blair as the future bread and butter of the Spurs would go a long way in explaining the lack of Splitter. It is true Blair gives off the vibe that he has great upside. Something about him screams 'Potential, Baby!'. I truly believe we have a real Baby Shaq in him. He still has a long way to go though... like when he had that thunderous slam against NOH and stared down their bench when the spurs were down 30.

Nevertheless, this means pop doesn't figure Splitter will figure prominently thus season... He's already given up on him, barring injury to Bonner yet again.

Quasar
01-24-2011, 04:37 PM
By the way, that new guy Larry Owens looks promising!