PDA

View Full Version : Guess the schools lunch....

bus driver
01-21-2011, 01:08 PM
take the quiz at http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/21/nutrition.year.review/index.html

CNN) -- After a year of eating school lunches, Mrs. Q survived to blog about it.
She works at an urban school in the Midwest, where she ate bagel dogs (yes, that's an entree), yellowish meatloaf and chicken tenders, which she likened to "squirts of chicken foam."

I got 4 out of 10

PM5K
01-21-2011, 01:17 PM
5 out of 10, I started off good but got a lot of the second half of questions wrong.

Marklar MM
01-21-2011, 01:58 PM
6/10

mrsmaalox
01-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Haven't looked at her blog, but judging from the article and the quiz, the main concern is the appearance of the food?

phxspurfan
01-21-2011, 04:40 PM
I hate to be a jackass, but any family that doesn't have the money to feed their kids shouldn't be having kids. And if they have kids regardless, they shouldn't complain about handouts, regardless of quality (beggars can't be choosers). If you don't like it, find a way to make enough money/make enough time to feed your kids the way you want to feed them.

PM5K
01-21-2011, 05:03 PM
What? Nobody is asking for a handout. These aren't free meals. I guess you might make some sense in that if you don't like the quality of the food you can send your kid to school with a lunch, but I'm not sure that's the best solution, and nobody is even complaining, except maybe the person that wrote the piece.

Blake
01-21-2011, 05:11 PM
rib-b-q?

even McDonald's thinks that sounds gross

phxspurfan
01-21-2011, 05:12 PM
What? Nobody is asking for a handout. These aren't free meals. I guess you might make some sense in that if you don't like the quality of the food you can send your kid to school with a lunch, but I'm not sure that's the best solution, and nobody is even complaining, except maybe the person that wrote the piece.

Nobody's complaining in the article itself. But in the comments below there are tons of idealists who want these kids to be getting deeply discounted Whole Foods meals as lunches. I know the lunch isn't free (I used to eat that stuff), but it's basically free when you see how discounted it is, and how many families are eligible for free lunch.

What I'm saying is that I did ok health-wise, and these kids can too. People just look for a scapegoat for everything, and teachers and the school system (who have to figure out how to provide whole lunches for thousands of students with poor funding) shouldn't be blamed.

...and our troops fight wars on less than those school lunches, btw. Have you seen MREs?

PM5K
01-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I guess you have a point, I didn't read the article itself until just now.

For what it's worth whenever I go to school to each breakfast with my kids it's always pretty good. Maybe she works in a shit school district.

She said 95%, there's no way it's like that in my kids district.

phxspurfan
01-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I guess you have a point, I didn't read the article itself until just now.

For what it's worth whenever I go to school to each breakfast with my kids it's always pretty good. Maybe she works in a shit school district.

She said 95%, there's no way it's like that in my kids district.

Yeah there's def. a big difference btw these public school districts. I went to Clark in SA and it was awesome (granted I didn't eat their lunches bc I got a job and bought my own lunch with that money). But in Tempe,AZ there is a school where a percentage of their teachers are coming down with brain tumors bc of the deteriorating building/paint.

jack sommerset
01-21-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't know about that quiz.....The one food looked exactly like a hamburger but they said it was pizza....

PM5K
01-21-2011, 05:39 PM
I don't know about that quiz.....The one food looked exactly like a hamburger but they said it was pizza....

I think that was a trick question.

Sisk
01-21-2011, 06:10 PM
I think that was a trick question.

I agree

and.. 6/10 pour moi

TheMACHINE
01-21-2011, 06:18 PM
4/10

CuckingFunt
01-21-2011, 11:55 PM
We had something at my high school called a rib-b-q (not at the cafeteria, at which only the lamest of the lame ate, but at the canteen where you could order lunch items fast food style), but they didn't look like whatever that was. They were basically a non-branded McRib without the pickles and onions. They, nachos, and something called "Taco Snax" were the most prized items on campus.