PDA

View Full Version : Paperless billing

sickdsm
01-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Am I wrong for expecting a break on bills if they do away with a paper statement? I know it costs quite a bit to send that through the mail. Might need to call and get some bills sent out again.
:bang

Viva Las Espuelas
01-21-2011, 04:46 PM
:lmao

Tree hugger
01-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Stop whining. You are doing the right thing.

Wild Cobra
01-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Stop whining. You are doing the right thing.
Bullshit.

Nothing holds up in court like paper, if there is an error.

CosmicCowboy
01-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Just paid my house insurance this morning for the year...I was looking at their bill...if you decided to pay monthly electronically they charged you an extra $1 a month service fee...if you paid by check they charged you an extra $5 a month service fee.

CosmicCowboy
01-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Bullshit.

Paper? You mean cancelled checks? Your bank still returns them? Mine just stores the front/back electronically and shreds/recycles the paper checks.

MannyIsGod
01-21-2011, 06:47 PM
I guess you can expect a price break but I doubt you're going to get it. If I was billing on a large scale as a company I would definitely charge a surcharge for having to send out a paper bill. There is no advantage to getting a paper bill over a PDF for anyone involved.

TDMVPDPOY
01-21-2011, 07:29 PM
wattabout when companies chasing you for 1cent debt, while the paper its printed on or even the envelope cost more then the debt itself

ploto
01-21-2011, 08:06 PM
One of my bills offered a one-time $10 credit if you switched to paperless billing and kept it for at least 3 months.

BlackSwordsMan
01-21-2011, 08:18 PM
XM radio does the same thing offers a 10$ off if you change to adding a CC to an account.

ashbeeigh
01-21-2011, 09:06 PM
I got bonus points on a credit card when I signed up for paperless billing. It really depends on what your bill is for.

sickdsm
01-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Right is right and wrong is wrong. Less service, same price? I'm calling to get my bills sent again.

DesignatedT
01-22-2011, 11:00 PM
go green.

ChuckD
01-22-2011, 11:03 PM
If they refuse to send an e-bill to my online banking billpay service, they can send me fucking paper until the sun burns out. You hear me, TWC and Discover?

Nathan Explosion
01-23-2011, 06:24 PM
CPS actually charges you to pay online versus using checks. And no credit for switching to a paperless billing.

There won't be credits, just more charges for the "convenience".

CubanMustGo
01-23-2011, 07:29 PM
How about when you renew your license or registration on-line? They charge you for that convenience, too, even though it keeps them from having to hire people to wait on your ass at DPS.

Drachen
01-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Bullshit.

That is why you DL each of of your statements and save for such a situation.

Drachen
01-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Right is right and wrong is wrong. Less service, same price? I'm calling to get my bills sent again.

That'll show them, go the less convenient route which causes more waste just to spite them!

Maybe the people who have gone paperless have allowed the company to increase their rates by .1% less than they would have otherwise.

CosmicCowboy
01-24-2011, 10:34 AM
CPS actually charges you to pay online versus using checks. And no credit for switching to a paperless billing.

There won't be credits, just more charges for the "convenience".

They don't charge me to electronic transfer. Are you using a "rewards" credit card?

CosmicCowboy
01-24-2011, 10:36 AM
And speaking of electronic payment...

The magnetic strip on my Exxon card wouldn't work today...I went inside to have them punch my card numbers in manually...

They CAN'T anymore...the computer won't allow it. If your card won't swipe, you can't buy gas.

Nathan Explosion
01-24-2011, 11:16 AM
They don't charge me to electronic transfer. Are you using a "rewards" credit card?

No credit, just check cards. I like spending the money I have, not the money I MAY have.

And it's $2.95 when you pay online.

mrsmaalox
01-24-2011, 11:27 AM

I always thought my bank's free bill pay service was by electronic transfer, but when I made an extra payment to our dentist, their office just sent me back the uncashed draft. I immediately poured over my statement, searching for some kind of service charge because I can't believe the bank is absorbing the cost of the paper draft, envelope and postage. Couldn't find one.

Das Texan
01-24-2011, 11:33 AM
CPS doesnt charge shit to write an 'online' check.

Das Texan
01-24-2011, 11:35 AM

The magnetic strip on my Exxon card wouldn't work today...I went inside to have them punch my card numbers in manually...

They CAN'T anymore...the computer won't allow it. If your card won't swipe, you can't buy gas.

I have fun with the credit card I use for food. The strip is worn, half the idiots running registers are like, umm do you have another card, this one wont read.

So enter it manually...didnt know that wasnt an option at some places anymore. Damn.

CubanMustGo
01-24-2011, 11:37 AM
No credit, just check cards. I like spending the money I have, not the money I MAY have.

I like spending the money I have and getting rewards for it. Nothing wrong with paying with a reward credit card and paying the bill before any interest accrues (or even before it comes due).

But $3 to pay a bill online is bullshit.

CosmicCowboy
01-24-2011, 11:55 AM

Not for a direct transfer. Doesn't cost anything.

chreph
01-24-2011, 12:17 PM
So enter it manually...didnt know that wasnt an option at some places anymore. Damn.

I didn't know stores were refusing to do this but they DO have to pay more when they manually key in a credit card authorization. And it's quite a bit more than the 2-3% they are already charged with a normal credit card transaction. The reason being that the risk is greater of fraud being committed (or at least accused) when a credit card is manually entered versus being swiped because there is no proof that the card is present at the time the authorization is obtained.

CosmicCowboy
01-24-2011, 12:23 PM
This was an Exxon Tiger Mart and an Exxon Corporate Credit Card. After she told me they couldn't enter the card number I asked about doing it "old school" and imprinting the card on a paper receipt I signed...they couldn't do that either. No magnetic strip, no gas.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-24-2011, 12:39 PM
I think you just encountered a stupid employee. No one in hell they can't manually run your credit card. I know if that was my business I'd have every possible way to take your money :toast.

MannyIsGod
01-24-2011, 03:49 PM
It does not suprise me they wouldn't do the knuckle buster method for gas. It would be a very easy way to steal gas and they want to have the authorization from the bank before they give you the product.

MannyIsGod
01-24-2011, 03:50 PM

Spend by credit card and pay the balance off each month = rewards with no interest charge. Its the same shit but at least you get more out of your money.

MannyIsGod
01-24-2011, 03:52 PM

This probably has to do with stealing as with a credit card you don't have with you - just entering in the numbers etc. A lot of places actually want to see the card when you do any type of credit card transactions now. For instance, ordering something online and picking it up at a store like Best Buy and you'd better have the card with you.

MannyIsGod
01-24-2011, 03:53 PM
I always thought my bank's free bill pay service was by electronic transfer, but when I made an extra payment to our dentist, their office just sent me back the uncashed draft. I immediately poured over my statement, searching for some kind of service charge because I can't believe the bank is absorbing the cost of the paper draft, envelope and postage. Couldn't find one.

A lot of the transactions with those services will be electronic, but when you enter a payment for a recipient that is not in their service they'll usually cut a good ole bank check.

CosmicCowboy
01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
One more time...it was an Exxon Credit Card at an Exxon Gas Station...on a corporate card with a $5000 limit. I had appropriate ID, etc.

They simply didn't have any way to access the card except swiping the magnetic strip.

MannyIsGod
01-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Yeah, and I gave you reasons why thats the case. If they do a paper copy, they have no way of knowing if the card is good/stolen/lost or whatever. If they just do the numbers, they have no way of proving the card was present. These are fraud prevention techniques.

sickdsm
01-24-2011, 07:44 PM
That'll show them, go the less convenient route which causes more waste just to spite them!

Maybe the people who have gone paperless have allowed the company to increase their rates by .1% less than they would have otherwise.

Make excuses.

Less service, same prive. I find paper more convenient.

Drachen
01-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Make excuses.

Less service, same prive. I find paper more convenient.

Paper costs me more. I have one two drawer filing cabinet and i don't have to purchase any more. I still get the exact same service (a copy of my statement) but at a lower cost to me.

sickdsm
01-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Good for you. I have plenty of filing room.

Why do some people give a shit that I want the bill mailed if there going to pocket that extra savings?

Drachen
01-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Good for you. I have plenty of filing room.

Why do some people give a shit that I want the bill mailed if there going to pocket that extra savings?

Because
A) you have no proof that they are pocketing the savings (though I have no proof that the opposite is true.
and
B) Spite is a horrible reason for doing anything.

Nathan Explosion
01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Not for a direct transfer. Doesn't cost anything.

Or you could get the paper bill, pay at HEB with debit so the money is instantly taken out of your account (great for check balancing purposes) and not have to pay a fee. And since I do that at work, I'm actually getting paid to wait in line and pay my bill. I'm actually making money to pay my bill.