PDA

View Full Version : Nah Phoenix hasnt figured anything out.....

T Park
05-30-2005, 08:44 AM
The Suns have vowed to clog the lane tonight, hoping to limit Duncan's scoring opportunities as well as Tony Parker's penetration. If the Spurs are going to sweep Phoenix, they might have to do it by hitting outside shots.

If they do that??

Spurs are in trouble.

exstatic
05-30-2005, 08:54 AM
Yeah, like Denver and Seattle didn't clog the lane. Run Tim in the high post. He can shoot, drive, or hit back cutters to the hoop.

You don't "figure out" how to play defense after 90+ games, TPark. I also figure that if they expend a little effort on defense, in addition to their go go offense, they'll have little left to get back in transition, and SA should be able to run. Asking a seven man rotation to expend MORE energy is as good as a ticket home for the Suns.

T Park
05-30-2005, 08:57 AM
You don't "figure out" how to play defense after 90+ games

sure figured it out in game 3 in the 4th quarter.

Yeah, like Denver and Seattle didn't clog the lane. Run Tim in the high post. He can shoot, drive, or hit back cutters to the hoop

Well we SHOULD do that. All we will do is play 4 down, let tim get doubled swing the ball to the other side and brick 3s.

Please. You can see it comin a mile away.

ObiwanGinobili
05-30-2005, 09:00 AM
After every game so far this series I have heard reporters ask D'antoni, Amare, and even Nash if the yare making any changes defensivly....
and each time they've said "no, not really".
Thats becasue they really can't... it's too late...... a carpenter can't just buy a Mask and Apron and boom he's a welder.
I think that any change or enhancement ot thier defense will not help, and might even hinder the PHX suns. Unpracticed, untried, unfamiliar........ never a good idea.

I think they should just go out the way they came in, playing thier own style of game with dignity, casue no matter what they are NOT getting to the finals.

T Park
05-30-2005, 09:05 AM
They played a Zone defense in the 4th quarter and clogged the lane, and thats how they went from 20 down to 6 down a few minutes later.

but, whatever, be fat, dumb, and happy.

Sii
05-30-2005, 09:08 AM
so are supposed to believe the Suns suddenly become a defensive force tonight and shut SA down tonight? :lol

sit back and enjoy the sweep. Unless SA makes stupid mistakes the Suns cant beat them. SA will be focused tonight and want to end this at home

boutons
05-30-2005, 09:12 AM
"be fat, dumb"

practicing what you preach, T_Park? :lol

T Park
05-30-2005, 09:17 AM
practicing what you preach, T_Park

cant add anything to the discussion but that???

Of course.

BTW, hows the division champion Rockets doin?

MadDog73
05-30-2005, 09:17 AM
They played a Zone defense in the 4th quarter and clogged the lane, and thats how they went from 20 down to 6 down a few minutes later.

but, whatever, be fat, dumb, and happy.

I'd be worried if the Suns had won that game.

As it is, Spurs won by ten, more than the seven points of game 1 and the three points of game 2.

But if it makes you feel better, T-Park, you can worry for the rest of us.

boutons
05-30-2005, 09:18 AM
"be fat, dumb, and happy"

... is huge leap forward for the thread, of your very own.

T Park
05-30-2005, 09:21 AM
is huge leap forward for the thread, of your very own.

is huge leap forward???

What, you caveman now?

boutons
05-30-2005, 09:21 AM
Suns' run in the 4th qtr was caused by giving up on the defeated p'n'r and pounding it into directly int Amare on the low-block for his 16 pts in the qtr.

Hurts to have to your opionated, insulting BS exposed, doesn't it?

SPARKY
05-30-2005, 09:26 AM
http://weller.ws:16080/humour/redneck/Redneck%20Lawn%20Chair.jpg

WHUT?! YEW KAVEMAN NAOW?

Solid D
05-30-2005, 09:27 AM
BTW, hows the division champion Rockets doin?

:lol I love divisional championship smak.

myhc
05-30-2005, 09:31 AM
I don't buy that suddenly the Suns have figured us out and will suddenly turn into a defensive force after 95 games. They're finished tonight.

T Park
05-30-2005, 09:32 AM
I love divisional championship smak

Boutons the genius brought it up.

He also said the Spurs were terrible on the road.

And he insults other people's intelligence??

Hey Sparky,

I thought you and Magic Johnson were in your million and 1 retirements.

ChumpDumper
05-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Man, John Savage has seen better days....

Dre_7
05-30-2005, 10:06 AM
ITS OVER!!!!

Suns will win 4 straight!!!

They figured SA out!!!! Zone D will stop us and give them 4 staright. Crap!!! I thought this was our year too. Oh well, next year!!!

waly.mg
05-30-2005, 10:13 AM
The Suns have vowed to clog the lane tonight, hoping to limit Duncan's scoring opportunities as well as Tony Parker's penetration. If the Spurs are going to sweep Phoenix, they might have to do it by hitting outside shots.

Oh yes, and let alone Manu, Barry and Horry

If the suns want to stop TD, they must to double TD, if they want TP too, so there are 3 players and only 1 defender

We now have: TD: 30 Points, TP: 20, MG: 20, Barry: 12, NAzr: 10, Horry: 10: BB: 4: 106

If they guard TD and TP:

TD: 20 Points, TP: 12: , MG: 30, Barry: 20, Nazr: 15, Horry 15, BB: 5: 117

1Parker1
05-30-2005, 10:16 AM
If they do that??

Spurs are in trouble.

Go ahead, let them do that. That would mean our only options remaining would be.........Manu(dude can shoot 3's), Nazr(dude can dunk when Tim's doubled), Barry(dude can shoot the open 3), and Horry(dude can do everything).

Meanwhile, if we continue to play defense at the other end, that would mean their only options remaining would be.......Amare and Steve Nash(Dude see games 1 and 2).

Not saying it wouldn't be possible TPARK, but do you honestly think they have the length and strength to truly clog the lane like Shaq and Malone did last year? :rolleyes

boutons
05-30-2005, 10:22 AM
"Boutons the genius brought it up."

Lie, I said fuck all about Houston in this thread.

"He also said the Spurs were terrible on the road."

Another lie. (Are you a Republican?) I said the Spurs were mediocore on the road, in the season. The fucking FACTS, not my opionion, show the Spurs are ranked 5th on the road in WC, and 7th on the road in NBA. Mediocre.

NameDropper
05-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Spurs have other options and they will take the Suns out tonight.

ObiwanGinobili
05-30-2005, 10:29 AM
ITS OVER!!!!

Suns will win 4 straight!!!

They figured SA out!!!! Zone D will stop us and give them 4 staright. Crap!!! I thought this was our year too. Oh well, next year!!!

:lmao :lmao :lmao

SPARKY
05-30-2005, 10:37 AM
It's already been demonstrated in this postseason that the Spurs can be beat and even beat at home by a team willing to play physical in the paint and methodical on the offensive end. If D'Antoni was willing to empty his bench, pack the paint, and play a halfcourt game perhaps the Suns do show up tonight and drop a Spurs team who already has one eye towards the next round.

Hopefully the Spurs aren't convinced that this is a done deal, unlike some here.

Mark in Austin
05-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Aside from the Spurs assuming the series is over and not playing with the same intensity as they did in the first three games, the only way that PHX strategy can be effective is if the Spurs become passive. If they keep going strong to the rim, they'll get PHX in fould trouble pretty quickly. The Suns don't have enough fouls available to clog the lane if Manu, Tony and Tim stay aggressive.

Plus, Horry and Barry have been on from behind the arc. If that continues, if won't matter. It would basically take the Spurs completely forgetting what got them here for PHX to get this to work.

cherylsteele
05-30-2005, 10:42 AM
Boutons the genius brought it up.

He also said the Spurs were terrible on the road.

T Park......were you not one of those who lost confidence and jumped off the wagon during the Seattle series?

Part of the reason our road record was not as good as hoped was at the end of the year Timmy was hurt and Manu was hobbled with a groin injury...or a thigh bruise...can't remember which it was......plus Rasho was hurt and all those injuries disrupted the chemistry.

SPARKY
05-30-2005, 10:45 AM
The Suns have some fouls sitting on that bench and putting the Spurs on the line is probably a better proposition than trying to beat them in an open court game. The Suns got back into the game on Saturday night when they slowed it down, ran some plays, and also did their best to D up. Sure, it's an uphill climb for them but it's not entirely out of the question that they can play that way for a night and put themselves into a position to get the W.

Seattle pushed the Spurs to nearly 7 games doing that.

waly.mg
05-30-2005, 10:46 AM
WAIT A MINUTE:

The Sunsīs problems, isnīt to guard TD or TP now, itīs if they can win with 92 points in offense

They have now, they offense problems too

The problem is SA deffense, not SA offense

waly.mg
05-30-2005, 10:48 AM
The Suns have some fouls sitting on that bench and putting the Spurs on the line is probably a better proposition than trying to beat them in an open court game. The Suns got back into the game on Saturday night when they slowed it down, ran some plays, and also did their best to D up. Sure, it's an uphill climb for them but it's not entirely out of the question that they can play that way for a night and put themselves into a position to get the W.

May be, but the Suns donīt have points in the bench

SPARKY
05-30-2005, 10:50 AM
Nash, JJohnson, and Stoudemire are quite capable in the halfcourt. Again, it's if the Suns can commit themselves to playing like that for a game. Defensively, they can pack the paint, run some zone, and force the Spurs to make some shots.

Two years ago Spurs fans saw their team was one win away from the NBA Finals and were calling that series over. Relax? Fuck no.

SPARKY
05-30-2005, 10:51 AM
They use the bench for bodies up front. If D'Antoni is desperate (and smart) enough perhaps he changes up his game plan.

MadDog73
05-30-2005, 10:52 AM

Lies. The Sonics won one game. "Nearly seven games..." :rolleyes Give me a break.

Game 3 was a Spurs' loss, pure and simple. Two free throws or Tim making his shot at the end, would have probably meant a sweep.

No matter. Let's say you're right, the Suns play their best and the Spurs their worse, and the Suns win.

They have to do that 3 more times to win the series.

Care to make a bet on that happening?

SPARKY
05-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Lies. The Sonics won one game. "Nearly seven games..." :rolleyes Give me a break.

Game 3 was a Spurs' loss, pure and simple. Two free throws or Tim making his shot at the end, would have probably meant a sweep.

No matter. Let's say you're right, the Suns play their best and the Spurs their worse, and the Suns win.

They have to do that 3 more times to win the series.

Care to make a bet on that happening?

You want to bet on whether the Sonics won only one game? Did you watch that series? That series was one shot from heading back to SA for an elimination game.

ChumpDumper
05-30-2005, 10:55 AM
It's too late to change strategies. Bosco and Outlaw have combined for a grand total of two minutes in the entire playoffs -- rust doesn't begin to describe them. We might see more Hunter but that's about it. I'd be very surprised otherwise.

spurster
05-30-2005, 10:55 AM
I don't see how the Suns could win playing this way. They have had next to zero experience playing a tough D game.

MadDog73
05-30-2005, 10:57 AM
You want to bet on whether the Sonics won only one game? Did you watch that series? That series was one shot from heading back to SA for an elimination game.

Hell, yeah. As soon as Tim had that look in his eye, I knew the series was over. I knew we'd find a way to win.

Look, your a pessimist, I'm an optimist. You say we were one shot away from losing. I say we were one Tim Duncan shot in Game 3 away from a sweep.

To be clear, I know the Spurs lost 2 games vs Seattle. But Game 3 was more a Spurs loss, than a Seattle win, if you take my meaning. That's what I meant when I said that the Sonics only really won one game: Game 4.

SPARKY
05-30-2005, 11:01 AM
I don't see how the Suns could win playing this way. They have had next to zero experience playing a tough D game.

They have guys who can play in the halfcourt on the offensive end. If they do what they can defensively to limit penetration and force the Spurs to work offensively then that would probably be enough for them. The Spurs can look like an offensive juggernaut in a run and gun game but if you slow it down they are susceptible to struggling. The 4th quarter of Game 3 is a good example of that.

2centsworth
05-30-2005, 11:03 AM
As I said when the series began, Jake Voskhul is the white flag. If he plays Phoenix has given up on everything they did to win 62 games.

MadDog73
They have guys who can play in the halfcourt on the offensive end. If they do what they can to limit penetration and force the Spurs to work offensively then that would probably be enough for them. The Spurs can look like an offensive juggernaut in a run and gun game but if you slow it down they are susceptible to struggling. The 4th quarter of Game 3 is a good example of that.

Just curious Sparky, are you picking the Suns to win tonight?

FACT: As bad as the Spurs played in the 4th quarter, we still won. Spurs won't give it away tonight. Have faith.

ChumpDumper
The 4th quarter of Game 3 is a good example of that.Then we should see more zone and 5 down from them, not Seattle defense.

exstatic
05-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Seattle was able to do it because they actually play defense, and they have a bevy of four bigs who can bang, whack you in the head, and rebound. That's like 24 free fouls, since they don't rely on their post scoring. Suns rely on Amare as their primary scorer, and really only have Hunter to bring in as a big, so they're much less likely to use their big men fouls on penetrators.

With a seven man rotation, they really can't afford to play bang bang defense.

cherylsteele
05-30-2005, 12:01 PM

Let see.....

Spurs won 4 games
Seattle won 2

One shot still would not have made a difference.

Spurs advance....Sonics are fishing at the pond behind the Boenig plant.

NASHville
05-30-2005, 12:06 PM
It's time for Steve to step up!
http://img155.echo.cx/img155/4996/nashtomatrix3co.gif

spurschick
05-30-2005, 12:09 PM

Actually, I think he has. He's just not getting a lot of help. To ask your starters to play those kinds of minutes every single game is brutal. Especially at this level. The Suns need a bench.

exstatic

Nash hasn't been the problem. He's had only one subpar game.

MadDog73

Nash has already been playing the best he can. Do you think he and Amare can play better?

Suns are a great team, and they gave San Antonio their all. Spurs are just better, with more experience, and a deeper bench.

spur219
05-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Clog the lane. Phoenix can't do that. Their team defense is too weak. They haven't done it all season and all of a sudden they think they can turn the switch and play defense to where they can clog the lane and turn it up. The Suns are heavily mistaken. The Suns played a nearly perfect game in game 2 and lost. The only hope the Suns have of winning is if the Spurs lose the games themselves.

NASHville
05-30-2005, 01:00 PM
It sucks not having a bench and I give props to the Spurs for having one of the best if not THE best benches in the league.
I love the Suns but even with a win tonight it is just prolonging the inevitable conclusion to this series.

Spurminator
05-30-2005, 01:02 PM
I'll wait until they actually succeed with this strategy before giving them credit for "figuring" anything out.

The Suns maximized their potential this year, winning 62 games with a very distinct style. And while I don't blame them for trying something different in the face of a 4-0 elimination where they really have nothing to lose, I'm not all that fearful of a team diverting from an approach that won 62 games for them this year... and using an approach that plays into our usual gameplan.

3 Ring Timmy
05-30-2005, 01:03 PM
I say bring it on,we love games when our opponent scores under 80.There cooked,the Spurs are the class of league,it`s over!

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-30-2005, 01:26 PM
The Spurs playoff albatross has always been teams packing the lane defensively and making us hit from outside.

The reality is we live and die by our outside shooting.

SPARKY
05-30-2005, 10:28 PM
Sparky...Good Morning!...Now that you are awake...please take a Valium...and chill! Have some fun! We are the Spurs...we always have fun...no matter what!
"Read my lips...It is over!"....Next!

Just curious Sparky, are you picking the Suns to win tonight?

FACT: As bad as the Spurs played in the 4th quarter, we still won. Spurs won't give it away tonight. Have faith.

Clog the lane. Phoenix can't do that. Their team defense is too weak. They haven't done it all season and all of a sudden they think they can turn the switch and play defense to where they can clog the lane and turn it up. The Suns are heavily mistaken. The Suns played a nearly perfect game in game 2 and lost. The only hope the Suns have of winning is if the Spurs lose the games themselves.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Some people on this thread definitely have egg on their faces right now.

Dre_7
05-30-2005, 10:34 PM
Some people on this thread definitely have egg on their faces right now.

Why?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Because they said the Suns can't play interior defense and would never be able to clog the lane on us.

Oops.