PDA

View Full Version : George Hill out with sprained thumb...

fraga
01-21-2011, 08:12 PM
From a rogue ball in the shoot around...son of a bitch...

Tp9gospursgo
01-21-2011, 08:13 PM
fml....

Solid D
01-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Yeah, they actually had video of it. He was just standing there in the corner nearest the Spurs' bench after shooting a three. He turned and wasn't watching, when a loose ball just comes out of nowhere and hits him in his shooting thumb.

Warlord23
01-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Any idea how long Hill is expected to be out?

fraga
01-21-2011, 08:38 PM
This game???

awktalk
01-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Great. Now Pop has to play Splitter at sometime (thankfully not yet through 1). This game just turned into a trap.

Warlord23
01-21-2011, 08:40 PM
According to this article (http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sprained-thumb.html)

"Sprained thumb recovery time depends upon the cause of the injury. If it has occurred due to overuse of the thumb, then it normally takes about 2 - 4 weeks for the symptoms to subside. However, if an accident is behind the spraining of the thumb, then the recovery period will vary according to the effects. It takes about 3 - 6 weeks for a first and second degree sprain to subside. A third degree sprain usually requires a surgery and the recuperation may take months."

Malice
01-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Tape that shit up and get out there, son.

urunobili
01-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Well this plus Bonner now we can say we're starting to have our share already... I hope this means James Anderson returns with the first team and gets at least 10 minutes...

tlongII
01-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Unbeavable.

Brazil
01-21-2011, 08:58 PM

"Sprained thumb recovery time depends upon the cause of the injury. If it has occurred due to overuse of the thumb, then it normally takes about 2 - 4 weeks for the symptoms to subside. However, if an accident is behind the spraining of the thumb, then the recovery period will vary according to the effects. It takes about 3 - 6 weeks for a first and second degree sprain to subside. A third degree sprain usually requires a surgery and the recuperation may take months."

:bang

Dex
01-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Come back soon, Anderson. Pop seriously needs to stop babying this kid.

awktalk
01-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Amare is classless.

Brazil
01-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Amare is a big asshole

alchemist
01-21-2011, 09:06 PM
pussy.

BlairForceDejuan
01-21-2011, 09:17 PM
respect to Quinn for stepping up

GSH
01-21-2011, 09:19 PM

Just like any other sprain. But I saw the video of it, and it looks like a jam and not a sprain. I'd be surprised if he wasn't back next game.

Capt Bringdown
01-21-2011, 09:23 PM

Oh shit...

benefactor
01-21-2011, 09:24 PM
No one knows the severity right now...so that article is basically useless.

tp2021
01-21-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm pretty sure it is precautionary, and he will be fine.

Step back off the ledge for Christ's sake. It's like you guys are looking for a reason to work yourselves up.

Fpoonsie
01-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Amare is classless.

What did Amar'e do?

Cant_Be_Faded
01-21-2011, 10:49 PM

Dude.....he had a pin inserted into his foot. You can never be too careful with injuries of that nature. I am fucking glad we're not rushing him back.

I think we have a player on our hands in Anderson and don't want us to ruin his career just to spell Manu some minutes.

EricB
01-21-2011, 10:53 PM

They didn't baby Manu in 08, how did that go...

EricB
01-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Pop apparently classified Hill tonight as "being out a while" :bang

Spurs Brazil
01-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Pop apparently classified Hill tonight as "being out a while" :bang

:bang:depressed:bang

EricB
01-21-2011, 10:57 PM
It better not be more than this game...we need him for tomorrow.

Or what?

What are you gonna do? :lol

anakha
01-21-2011, 10:57 PM
It better not be more than this game...we need him for tomorrow.

Too late.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Hill gone for a matter or weeks spells disaster for the San Antonio Spurs. Say what you will people, but every single player on this roster is responsible for our current record. We are a team. You take one piece away and that changes the team.

I think our team played damn good tonight against a good Knicks team. But I cannot expect that to continue for weeks without Hill. Let's just hope he comes back soon.

EricB
01-21-2011, 11:01 PM
It isn't up to anyone, if he's hurt and out awhile the team has to deal. Period.

Sean Cagney
01-21-2011, 11:03 PM
SHYT.... If he is out a while he is, but man the Spurs are rolling.

Warlord23
01-21-2011, 11:08 PM
If Manu was playing efficiently HIl's absence wouldn't be as much of a concern, but he isn't. Gary Neal needs to begin a hot shooting streak.

Capt Bringdown
01-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Hill gone for a matter or weeks spells disaster for the San Antonio Spurs. Say what you will people, but every single player on this roster is responsible for our current record. We are a team. You take one piece away and that changes the team.

I think our team played damn good tonight against a good Knicks team. But I cannot expect that to continue for weeks without Hill. Let's just hope he comes back soon.

Doesn't bode well for the road trip. However, I thought the Spurs stepped it up pretty well the last time he was out.

Celtics right on our heels with only 9 losses.

EricB
01-21-2011, 11:14 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN (http://twitter.com/#%21/JMcDonald_SAEN) Jeff McDonald

Pop says George Hill (thumb) "could be out a while." Considering Hill couldn't even work spray deodorant can postgame, we believe him.

Darn..

xmas1997
01-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Then we need Anderson ASAP.

DesignatedT
01-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Fuck. I'm glad we have a guy like Quinn on the bench now though. Someone who can come in hit open shots and play quality minutes. It turned out to be a great signing.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Doesn't bode well for the road trip. However, I thought the Spurs stepped it up pretty well the last time he was out.

Celtics right on our heels with only 9 losses.

I never look at the standings in relationship to the whole league. It's getting too far ahead of the game IMO. First seed in the West is good enough, and if we make the finals, let's see what happens....that's the way I see it.

But yeah you are right. The Road Trip is gonna be BRUTAL if we don't get a lot outta RJ, Blair, Neal, Quinn, Splitter.....cuz without Hill we suddenly become a WHACK perimeter team, defensively.

I am worried about this. How fucking crazy is it, us being so lucky on injuries, then Hill gets injured in warmups.....this shit happened to my longhorns basketball team last year. Dude ripped his quadriceps tendon doing a layup drill. Ridiculous

Capt Bringdown
01-21-2011, 11:22 PM
If Manu was playing efficiently HIl's absence wouldn't be as much of a concern, but he isn't.

No kidding. He needn't shoot all those poor/stupid jumpers, he could it back a notch or two and still be Manu. 5 for 18 tonight and only 6 trips to the line.

EricB
01-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Looks like Anderson's trip to Austin may become staying in SA IMO.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Looks like Anderson's trip to Austin may become staying in SA IMO.

As much as we may need him I do not want to see him thrown into the fire like that after foot surgery....and I do not expect him to be used in that way either.

I believe Pop will lean on this Owens kid, send Anderson to Austin when Bonner comes back, then just make due with what he has.

The major major MAJOR problem this presents to me, long long term, is all the minutes McDyess is logging lately. Does anyone here even remember how we used to baby Horry in the regular season in 07? 08?

Splitter must really really REALLY suck.

DesignatedT
01-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Expect Owens to get some extended burn these next few games. Pop is about to find out what he has in this kid before that 10 day contract is up.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Owens will get great PT. First or Second guy off the bench.

Pop likes to get the most outta those 10 day contracts

EricB
01-21-2011, 11:56 PM
I liked what I saw outta Owens tonight. Didn't play outside of himself, stayed within the offense and out of the way. Good defense. He might stick.

duncan228
01-22-2011, 01:10 AM
..."We’ve been fortunate this year with injuries,” Popovich said, “but that is a strange injury to get during warmups. It’s too bad, and he got it pretty good, so it could be a while.”

Hill wasn’t sure what happened to cause the sprain.

“The ball just hit it straight-on,” he said. “It’s not something you think about happening, but it did.”

Hill said X-rays showed no structural damage.

“Everything is intact, and it will be fine,” he said. “There’s just a little swelling. I’ll be fine when that goes down.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/21/hill-sprains-right-thumb-in-pregame-warmups/

Capt Bringdown
01-22-2011, 01:50 AM
What a freak accident. Pre-game warm ups are a low-velocity affair, right? I can see how a finger jam could happen, but a sprain?

What were the Spurs doing, throwing rifle passes during pregame?

crc21209
01-22-2011, 02:00 AM
Hopefully it's more of a jam than a sprain and he's fine in a week or so because they are really going to need George for the Rodeo Road Trip. I don't like the idea of playing TP and Manu extended minutes because of Hill's injury. Serious though, the guy who threw the pass at George should have his ass kicked. :lol That, or George should've been paying a little more attention...

m33p0
01-22-2011, 02:21 AM
thought it was coz of too much text messages sent.

Spurs Brazil
01-22-2011, 08:07 AM
And now on this road trip we'll have to face CP3, D.Williams and Curry/Ellis. Bad time for this Hill injury

GSH
01-22-2011, 11:21 AM
“The ball just hit it straight-on,” he said. “It’s not something you think about happening, but it did.”
Hill said X-rays showed no structural damage.

“Everything is intact, and it will be fine,” he said. “There’s just a little swelling. I’ll be fine when that goes down.”

A sprain is ligament damage, and that usually happens when your thumb gets pushed back or sideways at an unnatural angle. Hill said it hit straight on (which is what the video looked like), and that is usually a jam rather than a sprain. Sounds like they did x-rays to check for any damage to the joint capsules, and they were negative. A jam hurts like a bitch, and the joint can stay stiff for quite a while. But they can also ease up a lot more quickly than you think, when you first get the injury.

He could still come out and play defense as-is, but the stiffness would play hell with shooting. But what you really don't want is to get it hit straight on again, while the joint is still swollen from the first injury. They will probaly rest him for a couple of games (I forgot we were on a b2b), and he'll be back for Utah on the 26th.

DPG21920
01-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Are you kidding me? It makes me want to punch Hill in the face for getting injured with something so stupid and lame.

Did he go to the Carlos Boozer School of Injury?

DPG21920
01-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Hill's classes this semester:

M, W, F: Cool Injuries with Professor Monta Ellis

T, TH: Strange Injuries: How to Make People Resent You with Professor Vladimir Radmanovic

Fpoonsie
01-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Does anybody have this video of the injury?

And why were people calling out Amare for being, god fubbid, "classless"? Did he have something to DO w/ the injury?

boutons_deux
01-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Anybody know what a trainer does/gives to speed healing of this kind of injury?

Leetonidas
01-22-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm a big fan of Hill but this is pretty ridiculous. :bang How fucking fast was that ball torpedoing towards him to sprain his thumb? I'm sorry, I've played a lot of basketball over the years and I've jammed my thumb plenty of times and kept playing and never once sprained it from a stray basketball hitting it. Pop is probably just being cautious, but this isn't Matt Bonner, it's George Hill who is very vital to our team's success.

GSH
01-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Are you kidding me? It makes me want to punch Hill in the face for getting injured with something so stupid and lame.

Did he go to the Carlos Boozer School of Injury?

It was in the shoot-around. He was standing near the sideline, with his back toward the Spurs bench area. Somebody passed him a ball, so he could take another shot - pretty standard practice. It looked like someone behind him said something to him, and he turned his head. He didn't know the ball was coming, and he turned his head just a split second before it got there, and reached for the ball. It hit the end of his thumb dead on. The pass had a little zip on it, but nothing to get excited about if he had been looking.

I didn't see who threw the ball, but I doubt it was Amare. I don't know what that comment was about.

And as for a jam not being that bad of an injury? If the bones in your finger (or thumb) are all lined straight up, there is no give or bend whatsoever, and the joints take the full force. And finger joints just aren't all that big. A normal chest pass has more than enough zip on it to deal some serious force to a finger joint, if it hits just right. That injury is why, a lot of times, quarterbacks warming up on the sidelines will have someone else catch the ball and hand it to them. I saw a college quarterback miss a game because of a jam he got while warming up.

I've had a jam that I didn't think was very bad, but the joint just kept swelling - and I didn't have much motion in it for a couple of months. I had one that was so bad I was sure I must have broken a bone, and I had about 80% motion back the next morning. I'm sure if you could see everything going on inside the joint, it would make sense. But they are hard to predict just by the way they feel right after they happen.

In case some of you have forgotten, Kobe Bryant got an avulsion fracture in a finger last season, from a ball hitting the tip of the finger just wrong. A avulsion fracture is when a chunk of bone gets ripped off by the tendon. That's what can happen when the ball doesn't hit dead-on.

ElNono
01-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Don't hate on Hill. I actually broke a tendon in my pinky finger exactly the same way.
I'm glad X-rays came up negative. Hopefully they can work on the swelling, and he'll be good to go. Unfortunately, it might take a week or two. I'm glad he's a young kid. Normally they're fast healers.

DPG21920
01-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Lame. Injury. End of story.

Spurminator
01-22-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm a big fan of Hill but this is pretty ridiculous. :bang How fucking fast was that ball torpedoing towards him to sprain his thumb? I'm sorry, I've played a lot of basketball over the years and I've jammed my thumb plenty of times and kept playing and never once sprained it from a stray basketball hitting it. Pop is probably just being cautious, but this isn't Matt Bonner, it's George Hill who is very vital to our team's success.

So what are you saying? He's faking it?

Fireball
01-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Does anybody have this video of the injury?

And why were people calling out Amare for being, god fubbid, "classless"? Did he have something to DO w/ the injury?

Amare was classless because he dunked over Timmy while TD had his back turned to the basket because somebody had poked him in the eye :nope

No other Spur was there, so a layup would have been enough, but I guess Amare tries to chase Blake Griffin for total number of dunks :rolleyes

duncan228
01-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Just an update.

Reserve guard George Hill continues to progress in recovering from a sprained thumb suffered before last Friday’s win over New York.

...“If you’ve ever had a sprained thumb, you know how it is,” Popovich said. “It gets a little better every day, so long as you don’t hit it. If you hit it, you go backward three days.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/27/duncan%e2%80%99s-all-star-starter-streak-ends/

DesignatedT
01-27-2011, 11:02 PM
I jammed the fuck out of my thumb pretty bad playing basketball last month. It didn't feel 100% for a good 4 weeks but I could still play if I needed. I'm guessing that's what he is going through. Not a big deal.

DMC
01-27-2011, 11:06 PM
You've never been paid millions to play nor have you played in a system that mattered whether you won or lost. George is a thoroughbred, they aren't going to run the risk of losing him for the season.

DMC
01-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Amare has always been a classless prick, an idiot, and a showboating fuckstick. He's the dumbest "great player" I've seen in quite some time, I guess since Chucky retired.