PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades - Knicks @ Spurs - January 21st

Cry Havoc
01-22-2011, 12:45 AM
http://images.buddytv.com/articles/movies/maximgladrev.jpg

Are you not entertained? The Spurs finally got revenge on the Knicks Friday night. After a back and forth first quarter, the Spurs took the lead with 8:02 to play in the 2nd quarter and never relinquished it, playing several tiers of defense better than the atrocious 128 points they gave up on their January 4th meeting. But it wasn't easy. Despite excellent defense for most of the game, especially in the post, the Knicks shot a tick under 38% for the game yet the Spurs could never quite put them away. Some timely drives by Raymond Felton, and a few questionable officiating calls kept the Knicks hanging around until late in the 4th, when the Phalanx of Manu Ginobili and Richard Jefferson finally roused from hibernation to sink the final gladius into the backs of their foes, propelling the Spurs to a 37-6 record.

Player of the Game:

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/310541/tim-duncan-hug-ball-425.jpg

"At my signal, unleash hell!" Tim Duncan is absolutely still one of the best big men in the NBA on any given night, and he gave the Knicks his own personal brand of perdition Friday night. With a staggering series of blocks, alterations, and brilliant feeds, Tim Duncan was everywhere and everything for the Spurs tonight. When he is in this mode, it is simply a joy to watch, because perhaps no one in the NBA can completely shut down a post in the NBA quite like Tim. Duncan's stat line is blistering: 21 points, 16 rebounds, 8 assists, 5 blocks, and just 2 turnovers. However, stats don't begin to tell the story here, or the level of dominance that Duncan was showing. His assists were all over the place, from beautiful interior passes through a double to Blair to kick outs, Duncan controlled this game. Despite being hit in the face repeatedly (with no foul being called), Duncan put his head down and took Amare, Turiaf, and whoever was guarding him to school, rather than losing focus. Tonight might not be his best game of the season statistically speaking, but it was vintage Duncan, a game where his dominance isn't up in your face, but instead a kind of subtle, sublime control, a systematic demolition where you get the sense that Duncan is just simply on another level than anyone else on the court, something only the all-time greats seem to have. His numerous tap outs and constant defensive prowess in the face of physical play and questionable calls earn Timmy an A+, and the player of the game award. :lobt:

Starters

Tony Parker A - The Spurs simply lose tonight if it wasn't for the efforts of Tony Parker. Rocking back on their heels as the Knicks closed to within 4 in the final quarter, San Antonio got a huge boost from Tony's presence on the court. He came off the bench and immediately hit a teardrop, then a jumper a minute or two later. This is the kind of game I simply love to see from him, because it shows how much he has matured as a player, and how in tune with the Spurs he is. Tony saw the Spurs were struggling, and simply took the game into his hands until the lead was restored and the defense was re-established. Tony is not a rookie anymore, folks, he is a veteran player who is doing exactly what he needs to get his team a W. Tony started the game hitting his first 6 shots, and finishing 9-14 overall to score 21 points, tied for a team high with Duncan. His 13 dimes also tied for his highest total since the 26th of December. Tony did have 6 turnovers, which is less than ideal, but his leadership tonight when his team needed some buckets was simply invaluable, and his night-in night-out shooting of over 50% is a testament to how good of a finisher he is. In a physical game, Tony just doesn't back down, and he scored a big punch in the 4th tonight that the Knicks never recovered from.

Manu Ginobili D+ - In many ways, this was one of Manu's worst games of the season. He shot just 5-18 from the field, and took a number of ill-advised shots that were blocked or just missed. However, Manu and RJ combined in the 4th quarter after Parker's surge, and took the Knicks physical defense apart. So, despite the struggles, Manu stayed in attack mode, and that's exactly the kind of confidence the Spurs want to see from him, because this team is all the better when Manu is pulling the trigger and making the defense scared of him. Having said that, Manu might want to start thinking about making his 3s, because he is just 2-18 from behind the arc in the last 4 games. Still, the Spurs are a better team with Manu, even if he isn't hitting his shots, just because of the havoc he causes on the court. Manu has now made 44 free throws in a row over his last 9 games.

*Editor's note* I've been informed my fiancee that I must give Manu an A++ for effort tonight, so there's that.

Richard Jefferson C- - Here I was all set to give RJ his first F of the season, and he decides, "Hey, maybe I should just dunk this alley-oop and then get some rebounds." RJ was non-existent for the first three quarters, but he showed confidence and poise in the late 3rd/4th quarters, scoring 6 points and hauling in 7 rebounds, on a night when we needed every board we could get. His influence helped the Spurs right the ship when the Knicks looked set to make a run, and the Spurs can only hope he'll continue to show no hesitancy to move well off the ball in the future. RJ played pretty decent defense tonight as well, recovering from screens and keeping hands up against shots.

DeJuan Blair A+ - Warning to all NBA teams: The Spurs Twin Towers are back. Well, okay, so it's more like a skyscraper and a large apartment building, but DeJuan Blair has officially begun playing out of his mind. Over the past 4 games, DeJuan Blair has produced 15+ points, 10+ boards averages, and tonight he kicked it up a notch with 18 and 13 and 4 steals with 3 blocks. Oh yeah, and there was the minor fact that DeJuan Blair completely outplayed Amar'''''e Stoudemire. In fact, Amare was so discouraged by Blair's defense that he became little more than a jump shooter for much of the 2nd half. Anytime you reduce one of the most explosive post players in the league to JJ freaking Redick, it's an accomplishment. It must be heartening for Popovich to see Blair play this way, this consistently, because it gives the Spurs talent under the hoop that they have not had since David Robinson was in his prime playing with a young Duncan. Blair gets a special mention, because not only is he scoring in volume, he's doing it efficiently as well: Over his last 4 games, Blair is shooting 64% from the field. Due to his amazing interior athleticism, I have given him the new nickname of "Sexy Time". :lol

Bench

Gary Neal B- - Neal continues to struggle from the field. He shot 4-11 tonight. However, he ended up playing 33 minutes -- partially due to George Hill's injured finger, and partially because he had a lot of energy and was running all over the court on defense. Neal was actively fighting through screens and staying on his man. Neal did shoot 2-5 from downtown, so firing away from distance is still encouraging. His ball movement tonight was decent, and I like to see Neal attacking, even if he's missing, the penetration makes the defense rotate to guard him, giving us mismatches inside. I have a feeling the Lakers are going to see a lot of this guy snapping his wrist in their faces in the playoffs, knocking down 3s as they are late to rotate on defense, leaving Phil shaking his head and muttering about how the officials shouldn't allow the other team to shoot 3s.

Antonio McDyess C - Dice has been playing so well lately, he gets a mulligan from me tonight. When Blair and Duncan are both going off, you really can't blame him for going scoreless. Instead, McDyess spent his energies on defense containing Amar'e (and every other Knick big) while guarding him/them. In all, every Spurs big played amazing post defense tonight, redirecting a ton of close-range shots, and overall collectively showing some of the best interior containment the team has played all season long. Dice hauled in 6 rebounds and also got a steal and a block.

Chris Quinn B- - I'll take this effort from Quinn, who came on the court in place of George Hill, and scored 5 points in 11 minutes. Quinn played within the offense and didn't really force anything, instead just giving the Spurs a solid presence on the court. It's good to know that Quinn can get the ball against a physical, pressuring team like the Knicks and still keep his cool.

Larry Owens B - Hey, what more can you say? 9 minutes on the court, but Owens hit a big three that got the whole team off the bench. Owens didn't turn the ball over while playing, and scored 4 points. He was an active body on a night the Spurs bench was depleted, and I have to smile at the Spurs front office picking up yet another asset to help us get a victory. It's tough to fit into a system, to say nothing of one as complex as the Spurs, so anything from Owens that he can give us is just great. :tu

Tiago Splitter A+ - According to the statline, he got 1 rebound in 0 minutes of action. That's not even mathematically possible, so he gets an A+ for being on pace for infinite rebounds over a 48 minute game.

Gregg Popovich A - Facing a tough Knicks team that absolutely did not want to lose, Popovich made good calls and put lineups on the floor that gave us the best chance to win. Giving Blair 42 minutes tonight was excellent, as I'm sure his confidence is soaring. Pop shows that he never stops coaching, as late in the game after it was over, he still ripped into Gary Neal for a missed rotation on D. Lesson to Spurs players: Never quit when you're on the court, lest ye awaken the Pop. Anytime you win against a +.500 team when you are without your two most productive bench scorers, it's a pretty good coaching job. Seems like Pop is tightening the noose on defense as the season goes on, as well. All positive signs as the Spurs have a legitimate shot to get 40 wins before the end of January. If he isn't the CotY, indeed giving one of the greatest coaching performances in NBA history, I don't know what is.

---

Note about grades: I'm aware that some people seem unhappy anytime a favorite player of theirs gets less than a B-. However, I'm attempting to be impartial here. Keep in mind that a "C" grade is what a player is supposed to accomplish on his court, given his minutes, talent level, and flow within the offense. Parker scoring 10 points will probably earn him a D, whereas Larry Owens getting 10 points will give him in the "A" range for the game, if he's equally competent in other areas. A "D" grade is not indicative of a player playing horribly -- just that they didn't play as well as their expectations of the season. If a player plays particularly well when the team needs it, or makes a spectacular momentum shifting play, he gets a bonus to his grade, which means you can actually play worse than your average and still end up with better than a C. These are my grades, and I am simply attempting to evaluate the team's performance and being as objective as possible. For instance, tonight the Spurs played excellent defense, so they all get higher grades than their offensive numbers would dictate. These grades are NOT based solely upon stats. This is long winded, but I felt it necessary to explain in greater detail how I am going to use the grading system, since there seemed to be a decent amount of commentary in the last thread about the system.

Cry Havoc
01-22-2011, 12:49 AM
Edited the intro and the first line of Duncan's review to be more in line with the theme of the photo. :tu

ALVAREZ6
01-22-2011, 12:51 AM
CH with the goods

xellos88330
01-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Love your sense of humour in the grades. Makes them really fun to read!

Well done! :toast

spursbird
01-22-2011, 12:56 AM
Tiago Splitter A+ - According to the statline, he got 1 rebound in 0 minutes of action. That's not even mathematically possible, so he gets an A+ for being on pace for infinite rebounds over a 48 minute game.

:toast

awktalk
01-22-2011, 12:56 AM
Damn CH, great write-up. Although not including TPs dagger 3 to seal the game is an injustice.

duncan228
01-22-2011, 12:58 AM
Yup, Duncan brought it all tonight. Fun to watch. :)

Great stuff Cry Havoc. :tu

Cant_Be_Faded
01-22-2011, 12:58 AM
CryHavoc did you get "On my signal, Unleash Hell" from Gwar?

BTW, Parker too high, Manu too low, Neal too high

Great post, though. :tu

greyforest
01-22-2011, 12:59 AM
Blairrrr

Cry Havoc
01-22-2011, 01:04 AM
CryHavoc did you get "On my signal, Unleash Hell" from Gwar?

BTW, Parker too high, Manu too low, Neal too high

Great post, though. :tu

EQxMggqkSoc

Parker was huge tonight. 21 and 13, and the clinching shot, and he's too low? Man, you're rough on Parker. Manu shot 27%, although I'm going to edit in a fact about his free throws.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-22-2011, 01:05 AM
Also McDyess wayyyyyyyyyyy to fuckin low, man, are you serious?

I'd say McDyess B- at worst.

McDyess is the most valuable bench player we have this season IMO, and I pray to the gods every day that
1) He's juiced for the playoffs
2) He wants to come back next year
3) He's juiced for next year's playoffs

I thought McDyess was Pop's last resort to try to shift this back to our tempo when things were looking kinda shaky in the first half....and it worked. And Pop leaned on McDyess (as he has TOO MUCH for my liking the past month or so) to set the tone int he 2nd half and we won by playing defense.

I don't like playing McDyess this much. I guess it shows how much Splitter sucks complete total asshole. But does anyone here really remember how we played horry in 2007? We babied him like no other. Not saying Dice is an Horry but he's
E-S-S-E-N-T-I-A-L to a successful playoff run and I feel we're overusing him. Good thing we trained Mahinmi and gave him to a division rival for nothing, right?

Spursfanfromafar
01-22-2011, 01:07 AM
Great writeup CH. I don't miss Timvp anymore. :)

It is all the more fun to read because the Spurs are continuing to win. And I like that you are very objective about it and not getting too much caught in the euphoria.

Thanks!

Cant_Be_Faded
01-22-2011, 01:10 AM
EQxMggqkSoc

Parker was huge tonight. 21 and 13, and the clinching shot, and he's too low? Man, you're rough on Parker. Manu shot 27%, although I'm going to edit in a fact about his free throws.

tyGg4Fl_wQY
Is what was I was thinking of. Guess they took that from Gladiator. Both are awesome.

I thought Parker did one of those things where he played tentatively and his stats make him out to be better than what he really was.

He did not play as good as his stats indicated. He made a shitload of bad decisions and he was lucky to end up with only 6 turnovers (which is really really bad for Parker)

Cry Havoc
01-22-2011, 01:11 AM
Dice didn't score and played good post defense. He gets a C because he did what is expected of him. Players don't get a boost based on how valuable they are, just on how they played, otherwise Manu would get an A+ every game. Parker gets an A because he played extremely well in the 4th quarter and steadied the Spurs when we were in trouble

Manufan909
01-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Great jokes about Splitter's infinite rebounding, and Blair being a large apartment building (which weighs more than the skyscraper, oddly enough). Oh and the first line, I giggled cuz I was confused with the pic until I started reading.:lol Great quotes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:toast :worthy:

The sky is the limit for your game grades.:flag:

ElNono
01-22-2011, 01:20 AM
COM fan: Wow, D+? Did Manu rape your dog or something?

:lol

DesignatedT
01-22-2011, 01:22 AM
A little harsh on Manu with the D+ lol

awktalk
01-22-2011, 01:49 AM
I'd say Manu's a C. We won by 9. The books had us at -9. Manu was a +9 and played lots of minutes.

Cry Havoc
01-22-2011, 01:52 AM
So you guys expect Manu's average performance to be 27% shooting?

He's our MVP this year. I expect more of him from that. I'm sorry, but there's no way I can justify saying tonight was an average performance from him. +/- be damned, we get beat tonight if Tim and Blair don't play incredibly well.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-22-2011, 01:59 AM
You were too hard on Manu, dah. Even mookie would agree with this one.

awktalk
01-22-2011, 01:59 AM

He's our MVP this year. I expect more of him from that. I'm sorry, but there's no way I can justify saying tonight was an average performance from him. +/- be damned, we get beat tonight if Tim and Blair don't play incredibly well.

Off shooting night for sure, but still dealt 6 dimes had a couple steals, a block, and no turnovers.

dbreiden83080
01-22-2011, 02:03 AM
Duncan 4 life baby!!!!

E-RockWill
01-22-2011, 02:06 AM

Some will never understand the grades, man.:hat

Well done, again. :toast

Cry Havoc
01-22-2011, 02:07 AM
Off shooting night for sure, but still dealt 6 dimes had a couple steals, a block, and no turnovers.

All of which I completely expect from Manu. 6 dimes isn't too much above his average. He's going to get a steal or two every game. The no turnovers is nice, but when you take 18 shots and make 5 of them, you're giving the other team the ball a lot anyway. It's funny, some people (ducks) were accusing me of being too friendly with my grades on Manu lately. You folks are hard to please. :lol

Pauleta14
01-22-2011, 02:08 AM
As much as I loved timvp's work... :lol

Great job CH! thanks

SpursNextRomanEmpire
01-22-2011, 02:08 AM
DB, hopefully mista consistent

Great write up by the way :toast

KaiRMD1
01-22-2011, 02:09 AM

This did it for me. Absolutely hilarious!

Cant_Be_Faded
01-22-2011, 02:15 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/KaiRMD1/DuncanKobe.jpg

fuck you bitches

awktalk
01-22-2011, 02:16 AM
All of which I completely expect from Manu. 6 dimes isn't too much above his average. He's going to get a steal or two every game. The no turnovers is nice, but when you take 18 shots and make 5 of them, you're giving the other team the ball a lot anyway. It's funny, some people (ducks) were accusing me of being too friendly with my grades on Manu lately. You folks are hard to please. :lol

Of course we are. Just like any fan that feeds off of a team which strives for perfection every night, up and down the bench, and plays their asses off.... and are 37-6. We fans expect the same level of precision from out Game Grade threads :downspin:

Manu's 16 pts on 18 shots is not a good scoring night, though he went 6/6 from the line to extend his streak to 44 straight throws. But neither is TPs 6 turnovers when him and Manu control the ball basically for equal time and Parker gets an A.

(in all seriousness CH, I've loved your writeups, keep up the good work and engage your critics ;)

TDMVPDPOY
01-22-2011, 02:17 AM
manus been playing like shit lately on offense especially in the first 3 quarters, he only shows up in the last couple of minutes in the 4th when teams auto foul him to the stripe...remove his last minute points from the foul line and he be avg single digits ppg

cutewizard
01-22-2011, 02:18 AM
Sexy time is nice....

but how about

the SEXY BEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Cant_Be_Faded
01-22-2011, 02:21 AM
TxDk5_yNpjg

cellll
a
brate
good
times

COME ON

crc21209
01-22-2011, 02:25 AM
TP was pretty damn good all night, except for a couple of possesions at the end of the 3rd quarter where he was holding the damn ball a little too damn much and really slowed down the offense and played right into the hands of the Knicks that let them cut the lead down to six heading into the 4th. So, I would go with an A- for TP....

awktalk
01-22-2011, 02:30 AM
TP was pretty damn good all night, except for a couple of possesions at the end of the 3rd quarter where he was holding the damn ball a little too damn much and really slowed down the offense and played right into the hands of the Knicks that let them cut the lead down to six heading into the 4th. So, I would go with an A- for TP....

TP had 3 first quarter turnovers which prevented us from opening a big lead, and 6 overall. B- in my opinion. I expect my All Star PG to protect the ball better.

100%duncan
01-22-2011, 02:34 AM
nice read

Cry Havoc
01-22-2011, 02:37 AM
The hate for Tony on these forums is palpable. 21 points on 9-14 shooting and 13 assists (a 2.2/1 assist-turnover ratio, mind you) and keying a 4th quarter run that took our lead from 4 to 10, and the clinching 3 point shot to put the Knicks away, and that's a B-?

You say you have high standards, but Manu's 27% shooting is dismissed so readily? Come on. That's not objectivity.

TP had 3 first quarter turnovers which prevented us from opening a big lead, and 6 overall. B- in my opinion. I expect my All Star PG to protect the ball better.

What about Manu's 13 misses? Did that not prevent us from opening more of a lead?

jjktkk
01-22-2011, 02:44 AM
Thanks again for the grades, but a bigger thanks for hanging around and debating them CH.:tu

Tigole Bitties
01-22-2011, 02:47 AM
Great read, dude. Awesome grading writeup as always!

"Sexy Time" or "Blairly Legal"

awktalk
01-22-2011, 02:48 AM
The hate for Tony on these forums is palpable. 21 points on 9-14 shooting and 13 assists (a 2.2/1 assist-turnover ratio, mind you) and keying a 4th quarter run that took our lead from 4 to 10, and the clinching 3 point shot to put the Knicks away, and that's a B-?

You say you have high standards, but Manu's 27% shooting is dismissed so readily? Come on. That's not objectivity.

What about Manu's 13 misses? Did that not prevent us from opening more of a lead?

No you're right, TP deserves a B+ not B-. He 9-14 +6 TOs = 21 points off of 20 possessions. Manu 5-18 + 0 TOs = 16 points off of 18 possessions. TP also with the dagger 3. Manu definitely was average and TP above average, but not A to D+ discrepancy.

jestersmash
01-22-2011, 02:52 AM
Parker hate here is hilarious. CH's Parker grade is spot on.

I'm beginning to increasingly appreciate ducks' role on these forums. His fiercely anti-Manu pro-Tony posts are necessary to bring some semblance of balance around these parts.

awktalk
01-22-2011, 02:54 AM
Parker hate here is hilarious. CH's Parker grade is spot on.

I'm beginning to increasingly appreciate ducks' role on these forums. His fiercely anti-Manu pro-Tony posts are necessary to bring some semblance of balance around these parts.

Parker hate? I love TP, I'd let him fuck my wife.

anakha
That's not objectivity.

Having all the fans of the other teams on this board suddenly linking arms and breaking out in a rendition of "We Are The World" is far more likely to happen.

Not that I'm knocking it, that's what makes this place fun. :downspin:

Cry Havoc
No you're right, TP deserves a B+ not B-. He 9-14 +6 TOs = 21 points off of 20 possessions. Manu 5-18 + 0 TOs = 16 points off of 18 possessions. TP also with the dagger 3. Manu definitely was average and TP above average, but not A to D+ discrepancy.

Assists don't count?

spurs10
01-22-2011, 03:08 AM
Very good work...thank you Mr. Havoc. Watching Tim and Blair mix it up in the post was a sight to see!

Doctor J
01-22-2011, 03:16 AM
Cry Havoc, your game review is getting better and better. Keep up the good work!

But giving Manu D+ is just too harsh. Yes, his shots didn't fall especially from the 3s. But his efforts in playmaking, defense, and ever-so-accurate freethrow shootings should give him at least B-.

Em-City
01-22-2011, 03:50 AM
agree with the manu rating - poor shot selection & didn't play as well with the second unit as he usually does

thekingrobert
01-22-2011, 03:56 AM
good stuff CH and tell your fiance Manu sucked dinosaur balls that game but did have a good amount of assists

carina_gino20
01-22-2011, 05:16 AM
I guess Manu would have to hit another gamewinner to get an A from Havoc.

Good job with the grades.

I think this wasn't the worst game that I've seen from Manu all season. IMO, it was the Hawks game in December when he had 18 pts, 50% FG, 6 TO's and 0 assts.

01-22-2011, 05:51 AM
ginobili needs a midseason break or something, he looks like he's spent. i would suggest him fake an injury like a "sore pinky finger" or back sprain to sit out a few games but the spurs have already lost bonner and hill. they can't afford to lose ginobili too.

awktalk
01-22-2011, 05:55 AM
ginobili needs a midseason break or something, he looks like he's spent. i would suggest him fake an injury like a "sore pinky finger" or back sprain to sit out a few games but the spurs have already lost bonner and hill. they can't afford to lose ginobili too.

He should skip the AS weekend trip and stay home.

quentin_compson
01-22-2011, 06:52 AM
Great work, CH. :tu

Duncan was simply amazing.

Bukefal
01-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Nice read Cry Havoc :tu

Zelophehad
01-22-2011, 07:19 AM
I watched part of this game, Neal needs to get his feet set when he shoots. I know he seems to have the green light, but he takes a lot of off balance shots that he'd be just better off passing up.

mathbzh
01-22-2011, 07:35 AM

Not the first time I see that here but it's not like you don't use a possession when you shoot FT (3 for Ginobili, 1 for Parker).

No against Toronto Ginobili did not score 23 pts out of 13 possessions but more 23 out of 19 possessions which is good but not as spectacular (23 including TO).

So Parker: 14 FGA + 2FTA/2 + 6TO =21 points out of 21 possessions.
Ginobili: 18+3=16 points out of 21 possessions.

5 points on the same number of possession is a big difference in my books.

Then:
Ginobili's 6 assists worth 13 pts.
Parker's 13 assists woth 28 pts

Rummpd
01-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Manu C+ is more justified he did play well on defense, had the 6 assists (a few of the spectacular nature) and never pushed the issue and helped close the deal when the Knicks pulled into it. On a night when Parker, Blair and Duncan all had big nights offensively Manu gave us all that we needed. If Manu had hit 8 or 9 instead of 5 shots he might well have earned an A as well.

urunobili
01-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Cry Fucking Havoc

silverblk mystix
01-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Good write-up :toast

foodie2
01-22-2011, 08:54 AM
I appreciate your grades, but as an official member of the Grammar Police, I particularly appreciate your ability to write well. Thank you from the bottom of my little anal-retentive heart.

Brazil
01-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Manu is the best player of the best nba team. Now this game was for him one of his worst of the season, the grade is ok.
Contrary to some posters here I don't consider his Defense was particularly impressive.

TP played a good game during the 3 first quarters but nothing spectacular considering his 6 TOs. Nevertheless he had a great fourth and seal the deal, I think he deserves his A.

For the rest despite all this team is still Tim's one. To have a chance in PO we need him to be dominant.

TacoCabanaFajitas
01-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Definitely wouldn't have graded TP with an A. 6 TO's against a running team is pretty much instant points, the thing that bugged me about his TO's was that he was making some of the laziest passes I have seen all season and was absolutely oblivious to how quick the Knicks are able to move into the passing lanes. The first one ok, but 3 more times I think it was where he just sort of lobbed the ball into the passing lane and NY's guards were able to easily jump in front and run. B- for TP, C- for Manu.

Cry Havoc
01-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Manu C+ is more justified he did play well on defense, had the 6 assists (a few of the spectacular nature) and never pushed the issue and helped close the deal when the Knicks pulled into it. On a night when Parker, Blair and Duncan all had big nights offensively Manu gave us all that we needed. If Manu had hit 8 or 9 instead of 5 shots he might well have earned an A as well.

So you'd say this game was above average for Manu? So what, precisely, would Manu have to do to earn under a C from you? Shoot 15% with no assists and 14 turnovers?

IMO, Manu is EXPECTED to get assists. He's EXPECTED to wreak havoc on both sides of the ball. If Manu shot better, this game would have been over before the 4th, and we wouldn't have needed him, Tony and RJ to play hard in the 4th to seal the deal.

If you guys want to "expect" 27% shooting from Manu with a really poor selection of shots (even getting BLOCKED from three), that's fine. I expect way, way more of our MVP this year. A C+ game from him would be 20 points on 45% shooting with 4-6 assists and good defense. Because playing good D, creating turnovers, and getting to the stripe are all things Manu SHOULD be doing as the best player on the best team in the NBA. He doesn't need to hit a game winner to get an A from me, he simply needs to play better than he usually does. That definitely was not the case tonight, as evidenced by the fact that Tim and DeJuan had brilliant games and it was still a close game throughout. If Manu plays at a "B" level, this game is over by the mid-point of the 3rd quarter.

Seventyniner
01-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Gary Neal B- - Neal continues to struggle from the field. He shot 4-11 tonight. However, he ended up playing 33 minutes -- partially due to George Hill's injured finger, and partially because he had a lot of energy and was running all over the court on defense. Neal was actively fighting through screens and staying on his man. Neal did shoot 2-5 from downtown, so firing away from distance is still encouraging. His ball movement tonight was decent, and I like to see Neal attacking, even if he's missing, the penetration makes the defense rotate to guard him, giving us mismatches inside. I have a feeling the Lakers are going to see a lot of this guy snapping his wrist in their faces in the playoffs, knocking down 3s as they are late to rotate on defense, leaving Phil shaking his head and muttering about how the officials shouldn't allow the other team to shoot 3s.

One of the ESPN commentators was praising Neal for boxing out Turiaf, allowing Duncan to get several defensive rebounds.

carina_gino20
01-22-2011, 11:11 AM
He doesn't need to hit a game winner to get an A from me, he simply needs to play better than he usually does.

Which begs the question...what kind of line would that be, if 20 pts, 45% shooting, 6 assists, and good defense draws a C+? :hat

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Nice write-up!

I commented last game on Blair's inconsistencies. Last night he showed a lot of confidence when he had the ball, great energy on defense, and that will to win and not back down that I remember from him in college. That tenacity is what will allow him to out-perform all of the bigger, taller players he goes up against every game in the NBA. We may be witnessing his emergence, which is awesome.

Vintage Timmy, for sure. He was amazing. I thought I was watching him calmly dismantle the New Jersey Nets from a long ago NBA Finals series. It was a joy to watch.

I think my only critique would be McDyess' grade. His toughness on the court last night was great. That one face-up block he had on Amare alone should have boosted his grade. He completely kept up with the younger post players he was guarding, didn't give an inch, and rebounded like a beast. He's not out there to score 4.8 points per game, so I think we can't pay attention to the stat line too much last night. Had he gone 0 for 10, yeah, I'd of bumped him down some in spite of his stellar court presence, but he did nothing but play smart, inspired ball last night.

JR3
01-22-2011, 11:42 AM
I think Tim Plays better when he has a new haircut... don't know if its true, but I just seem to notice it. =)

Darkwaters
01-22-2011, 01:52 PM
I think Tim Plays better when he has a new haircut... don't know if its true, but I just seem to notice it. =)

Tim should get a haircut before all our games against teams over .500!

duncan228
01-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Hit the link for the whole piece.

Why Tim Duncan’s monster game against Knicks was one for the ages (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/22/why-tds-underrated-monster-night-on-friday-was-one-for-the-ages/)
Tim Griffin

...Duncan’s previous game at that level game came in the deciding sixth game of the 2003 NBA Finals when he torched New Jersey for 21 points, 20 rebounds, 10 assists and eight blocked shots in one of the most memorable playoff games in league history.

But making his big night against the Knicks even more remarkable is his age. At 34 years and 271 days, Duncan is the oldest player among that group to accomplish the feat.

...Duncan will go down as one of the NBA’s greatest players. And his game Friday night is a good indication why he still remains as one of the league’s most valuable players three months shy of his 35th birthday.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/22/why-tds-underrated-monster-night-on-friday-was-one-for-the-ages/

Bender
01-22-2011, 02:08 PM
I missed the entire 2nd half on TV, because my power went out for 3.5 hours last night.

so, good to read this write-up by CH. I haven't yet commented on the new CH game grades, but I like them and always read them. Good writing style too. :tu

phxspurfan
01-22-2011, 02:08 PM
This was one of the few games I've seen this season. And boy, did I pick a good one to watch! Everything was there -- from Jefferson grabbing crucial boards, to Prime Minister Blair doing his thing, to the clutch TP teardrop in the 4th, Duncan finishing the break with the slam, and finally the dagger 3. It was breathtaking.

And I even got to yell at the screen in joy (seeing Neal D up guys and box out) and agony (watching Chris Quinn on the court)!

Great writeup. I especially agree with the part about Coach Phil getting angry about our 3s...

Pauleta14
01-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Parker hate? I love TP, I'd let him fuck my wife.

let say Parker's "assesment" doesn't seems always fair...

DMC
01-22-2011, 05:22 PM
"Well, okay, so it's more like a skyscraper and a large apartment building"

LOL!

SpursIndonesia
01-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Manu deserved his D+ or bumped a bit for COM as C-, Tony perhaps should be getting an A-.

Which begs the question...what kind of line would that be, if 20 pts, 45% shooting, 6 assists, and good defense draws a C+? :hat

For me, Manu's average/standard grade (C) as Spurs best player is 15-17 pts on atleast 40% FGs, 4-5 Assts, 3-4 Rbs, 1-2 Stls.

angelbelow
01-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Pretty sweet right up, havent been able to catch many games lately so its always great to read some type of organized summary.